ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson sets commitment date.

If he chooses to go to Clemson and they are looking like a NCAA bubble team this year with lots of quality players coming back next year then i will have nothing but mad respect for the kid.

I have way more respect for a guy who thinks he's good enough to turn a bubble team into a contender as opposed to yet another top 5 recruit who goes to an OAD factory where contender status is pretty much guaranteed every year.

Considering you can get drafted #1 overall just as easily at a team that finishes last in its conference as a team that wins the entire championship, to me it just looks like taking the easy way out when you go to a place like Duke or kentucky. I like the guys who prefer the road less traveled.
They’re projected as a 5 seed at the moment.

I apologize then, but what was your post about? It seemed as though you were downing Fultz for playing at Washington.
Not at all. Just joining a secondary conversation that someone else started talking about dominant players that played for programs that were not good, Fultz being a prime example. Had nothing to do with Williamson or Clemson.

Reactions: rockycard
You never said it, but the guy who started this whole discussion did which is why people are taking the tone they are in response.

Here is what that guy posted...

If he chooses Clemson, he must not have high aspirations for a successful year of college hoops.
I don’t agree with that. I wasn’t trying to take a tone, either, so my apologies. I think we just disagree on what we were discussing

So by this, you're seceding that Uk needs a top 3 talent to make it to the FF or championship? Because this is the Uk scapegoat when they miss a top top talent. This is YOUR want. Just because he may go elsewhere doesn't mean he doesn't think he can get to a FF or championship there.
how did you get that out of my comment?
typical little man syndrome

do you honestly think him going to Clemson will give him a better chance of reaching the FF or championship game over Duke, UK, UNC?

do you honestly think him going to Clemson will give him a better chance of reaching the FF or championship game over Duke, UK, UNC?

The point is, it's about what the player thinks, not what I think

If he chooses to go to Clemson and they are looking like a NCAA bubble team this year with lots of quality players coming back next year then i will have nothing but mad respect for the kid.

I have way more respect for a guy who thinks he's good enough to turn a bubble team into a contender as opposed to yet another top 5 recruit who goes to an OAD factory where contender status is pretty much guaranteed every year.

Considering you can get drafted #1 overall just as easily at a team that finishes last in its conference as a team that wins the entire championship, to me it just looks like taking the easy way out when you go to a place like Duke or kentucky. I like the guys who prefer the road less traveled.

That sounds good and all when discussing other people, but at your job, if there was a choice that would make your job a lot easier, would you seriously choose the option that makes your job a lot harder? If you are the type to choose the work that would make your job a lot harder, then you are rare.

I'm taking the KD route if given the choice.

"Work smarter; not harder!"

That sounds good and all when discussing other people, but at your job, if there was a choice that would make your job a lot easier, would you seriously choose the option that makes your job a lot harder? If you are the type to choose the work that would make your job a lot harder, then you are rare.

I'm taking the KD route if given the choice.

"Work smarter; not harder!"
Once every few years or so, Q and I agree. This is one of those occasions. Very nice way of summing up this entire conversation with a bare minimum look at the equation.

Clemson won't the roster of UNC, UK, KU, or Duke but they will have some good talent there next year. I have no idea where Zion goes though. Don't really care a lot tbh.

Clemson will lose two starters in Donte Grantham and Gabe DeVoe - plus the top big off the bench, Mark Donnal. I would project Clemson to have 4 seniors starters with Ziion. Not sure how the bench will project, but the starting unit will be very, very solid. I think they're capable of being a top 10 team next year.

Shelton Mitchell, 6'3 Sr (12.4 ppg, 4.4 ast)
Marcquise Reed, 6'3 Sr (15.3 ppg, 4.9 reb, 3.1 ast)
David Skara, 6'8 Sr (lockdown defender)
Zion Williamson, 6'7 Fr
Elijah Thomas, 6'9 (11.6 ppg, 8.1 reb, 2.5 blk)

Again, I have never claimed picking Clemson would be a mistake for this kid. All I was saying is more often than not, you will have more talent around you and a better chance to win at elite programs. I haven’t argued once Kentucky will even be better than Clemson next year.

Hell, I'll say it. Clemson is far from a household name when it comes to basketball. When did they last win, or even contend for an ACC title, let alone make any kind of run in the NCAAT to be taken seriously? If this is Zion's choice, it's just another "big fish in a small pond" scenario where ZW is more concerned about HIS stats than having a shot at an NCAA title.
As much as this kid has marketed himself all over YouTube, why would you spend your year of college hoops away from the spotlight?

Having said that, rumblings that his stepdad may be getting hired by Clemson just surfaced.... maybe that's the reason...we'll see.

Hell, I'll say it. Clemson is far from a household name when it comes to basketball. When did they last win, or even contend for an ACC title, let alone make any kind of run in the NCAAT to be taken seriously? If this is Zion's choice, it's just another "big fish in a small pond" scenario where ZW is more concerned about HIS stats than having a shot at an NCAA title.
As much as this kid has marketed himself all over YouTube, why would you spend your year of college hoops away from the spotlight?
I think as a few others have pointed out, Clemson could have a really good roster next year, and I have no idea what ours will look like. Clemson very well could be contender for all I know. Most years, I would agree that if a star like Zion were to pick a Clemson for one year of school, he wasn't too concerned with winning. But I've been educated on Clemson and they could be pretty good next season. Not that we won't be, but this might not be the best example of "have to play for a blue blood to win."

Having said that, rumblings that his stepdad may be getting hired by Clemson just surfaced.... maybe that's the reason...we'll see.

His step Dad will not be on Brad Brownell’s staff. This has been confirmed by sources close to the program.

Clemson is pretty good this year, not sure how their roster will shape up for next year, but if they add Zion, they will obviously be preseason top 10 with a strong chance to make a good run in the tourney. Thems just the faxts.

Clemson is pretty good this year, not sure how their roster will shape up for next year, but if they add Zion, they will obviously be preseason top 10 with a strong chance to make a good run in the tourney. Thems just the faxts.

we know they will lose two of their top five
after that i have no idea what their roster will look like
i doubt they will have the talent of UK, Duke, UNC, KU, ect.............

They will have some seniors though, I’d put them in my top 10 especially if they land Williamson, however if they don’t, I’d put them fringe top 25 team. They play good defense and have some shooters.

Reactions: Fox Glove Tiger
More often than not the championship isn’t won by the “most talented” team, it’s usually a couple studs surrounded by solid role players.

Reactions: RR30
More often than not the championship isn’t won by the “most talented” team, it’s usually a couple studs surrounded by solid role players.

Most of the time, absolutely. I haven't watched Clemson this year but if they are returning most of their team and adding Zion they would be real good next year. Long way to go still.

They will have some seniors though, I’d put them in my top 10 especially if they land Williamson, however if they don’t, I’d put them fringe top 25 team. They play good defense and have some shooters.

...the wishful thinking here that ZW doesn't go to UK is obvious....

...the wishful thinking here that ZW doesn't go to UK is obvious....
Zion staying close to home and playing for Clemson actually makes some sense. Clemson will be darn good next year. Zion's mom gets to see him play a lot and he still will get national attention. He just won't get the e TV time of the blue bloods.

Most recruiting experts have him going to Clemson. UK will be fine next year. We'll have a lot of experienced talent returning.

Wofford was loyal to him since he was a HS freshman, but now he's just looking for fame and fortune by choosing between all of these big conference schools.

Has there ever been so much attention for a guy who isn't even the best recruit in the class?

Kentucky won't be fine at all. They seriously can't shoot. They look more like a typical Mick Cronin Cincinnati team than they do UK.

I'm guessing this guy is going to Clemson. I only heard about him today since I haven't been following recruiting recently, but it sounds like Clemson or South Carolina.

Kentucky won't be fine at all. They seriously can't shoot. They look more like a typical Mick Cronin Cincinnati team than they do UK.

I'm guessing this guy is going to Clemson. I only heard about him today since I haven't been following recruiting recently, but it sounds like Clemson or South Carolina.
Laughing 4/10

Harrison twins were top 5 and almost went undrafted. Skal was the number 1 player and went in the second round. UK has their busts too.

Crazy. This is a guy who probably would've benefited from going straight to the NBA. I believe the holes in his game will be exposed at the next level.

Jones, Barrett, Reddish, and Zion.... that is just ridiculous. They will score every time down the floor. But, will they play defense? They won't have much to speak of inside though. Get ready Dukies, here come the "you better win it all or it's a massive failure" comments. Enjoy. Laughing

Jones, Barrett, Reddish, and Zion.... that is just ridiculous. They will score every time down the floor. But, will they play defense? They won't have much to speak of inside though. Get ready Dukies, here come the "you better win it all or it's a massive failure" comments. Enjoy. Laughing
Boy we're not used to that at all. Been hearing it for the past 2 seasons why not make it 3.

ADVERTISEMENT