ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson sets commitment date.

Said it months ago
nostycompass.jpg

By deciding in Jan., Zion already has a clear idea of what the roster will look like for his new team.

By deciding in Jan., Zion already has a clear idea of what the roster will look like for his new team.

or he does not care what the roster will look like
he will get his minutes regardless

with that said i think he is Clemson bound

around the 18th see if there is any movement from the national guys/gals

or he does not care what the roster will look like
he will get his minutes regardless

with that said i think he is Clemson bound

around the 18th see if there is any movement from the national guys/gals

True, but if that was the case, he would have committed earlier.

While you are right, that is much more the outlier than the norm. Ben Simmons anyone?

I think Ben Simmons is more of the outlier in that scenario. Simmons went to a team with the worst coach in college basketball and had season long issues with his teammates. The result was a terrible team that played Simmons completely out of position and wouldn't let him run the point because of poor coaching and jealous teammates.

Trae Young embraced his team and coach and the results are obviously polar opposite to Simmons.

I think Ben Simmons is more of the outlier in that scenario. Simmons went to a team with the worst coach in college basketball and had season long issues with his teammates. The result was a terrible team that played Simmons completely out of position and wouldn't let him run the point because of poor coaching and jealous teammates.

Trae Young embraced his team and coach and the results are obviously polar opposite to Simmons.
Agree to disagree. More times than not if you're a stud player on an average team, you won't do as well as the perennial powers.

He’s going top 5 in the draft no matter what but I really want him at UK.

Agree to disagree. More times than not if you're a stud player on an average team, you won't do as well as the perennial powers.

How often does it even happen? We're talking about a stud, not just a top prospect. Granted, Trae wasn't considered a stud when he signed with OU, but he clearly is. Williamson is also in that stud, very top of the class category.

Who else from that elite of the elite category has gone on to play for an average team? Not saying you are wrong, but don't remember any examples off the top of my head.

How often does it even happen? We're talking about a stud, not just a top prospect. Granted, Trae wasn't considered a stud when he signed with OU, but he clearly is. Williamson is also in that stud, very top of the class category.

Who else from that elite of the elite category has gone on to play for an average team? Not saying you are wrong, but don't remember any examples off the top of my head.
Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant, Emmanuel Mudiay just off the top of my head. All guys that were consensus top guys in their class that failed to do much at the college level.

Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant, Emmanuel Mudiay just off the top of my head. All guys that were consensus top guys in their class that failed to do much at the college level.

Beasley had a great year at KState and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA that year. Hardly what I would call a failed year.

Durant went to a team that went to the elite 8 the year before and the year after he left. Still made it to the 2nd round his year and he won NPOY. Hardly a failed year. Also, hardly a mediocre team he went to.

Mudiay didn't go to college so not sure why you would include him unless it was a honest mistake on your part.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Mayo, Ivan Rabb

Fultz would be a much better comparison to Young

Fultz definitely a great example.

Rabb not so much especially considering he went to Berkley alongside another elite recruit in Jaylen Brown. When it comes down to it, Rabb just isn't that good and was overrated coming out of high school.

Mayo did make the tournament as a 6 seed his one season.

Fultz definitely a great example.

Rabb not so much especially considering he went to Berkley alongside another elite recruit in Jaylen Brown. When it comes down to it, Rabb just isn't that good and was overrated coming out of high school.

Mayo did make the tournament as a 6 seed his one season.

yea i think Fultz and Young are/were in about the same situations
both have the ball in their hands and the offense is built around them

Beasley had a great year at KState and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA that year. Hardly what I would call a failed year.

Durant went to a team that went to the elite 8 the year before and the year after he left. Still made it to the 2nd round his year and he won NPOY. Hardly a failed year. Also, hardly a mediocre team he went to.

Mudiay didn't go to college so not sure why you would include him unless it was a honest mistake on your part.
Yes, my mistake. Was going through a list of past classes and for some reason skipped that part.

I thought were talking team accomplishments? I was arguing stud high school players who come in for just a year of college and go to usual powerhouses have better years than those who go play for average teams. Not individual numbers wise, but as far as wins go, tournament success, things like that.

Read the rest of the conversation. Going by team accomplishments. His KState team was not very good.

My bad jimbo. I just scanned and saw Beasley’s name. I saw him play in person several times and he absolutely dominated on the collegiate level.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Yes, my mistake. Was going through a list of past classes and for some reason skipped that part.

I thought were talking team accomplishments? I was arguing stud high school players who come in for just a year of college and go to usual powerhouses have better years than those who go play for average teams. Not individual numbers wise, but as far as wins go, tournament success, things like that.

Beasely went to the 2nd round of the tournament so I wouldn't say he wasn't successful. There's no guarantee that going to a blue blood is going to get you deep in the tournament.

As long as you make the tourney and have a great individual season and end up at the top of the draft I would say that was a very successful college one season career.

Beasely went to the 2nd round of the tournament so I wouldn't say he wasn't successful. There's no guarantee that going to a blue blood is going to get you deep in the tournament.

As long as you make the tourney and have a great individual season and end up at the top of the draft I would say that was a very successful college one season career.
I guess it just depends on your expectations, right? If making the second weekend of the tournament is your team goal, then sure, you can do that almost anywhere if you're a good enough player. If your goal is to win a title, and you're going to be in college for a year, your best bet is to sign with a perennial contender.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT