ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson sets commitment date.

Ok we won’t use the #14 player in the class, how about the #8 player in Alex Poythress?
Same Alex Poythress who's playing for the Pacers and went to how many Final fours? Finished his career at UK 34 points shy of 1000 point club (due to injury) and made Academic All-American team.

Good choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC for 3
Same Alex Poythress who's playing for the Pacers and went to how many Final fours? Finished his career at UK 34 points shy of 1000 point club (due to injury) and made Academic All-American team.

Good choice.
Since this is about freshmen seasons, how’d his team do?

I thought that this was about freshmen who played on mediocre teams?
My argument was that, disregarding INDIVIDUAL accomplishments, things like draft position, PPG, you are much more likely to play on a competitive team if you go to a Louisville, a UK, a Duke, who are more consistently successful than a Clemson, a Texas, or an Oklahoma. If you goal for your one year is to win as well as prepare you for the next level, then you'd be better off at a higher level program. Do you disagree?

I guess it just depends on your expectations, right? If making the second weekend of the tournament is your team goal, then sure, you can do that almost anywhere if you're a good enough player. If your goal is to win a title, and you're going to be in college for a year, your best bet is to sign with a perennial contender.
Is this really true too? Here is the list of Top 10 RSCI prospects from HS ("studs") who went specifically to modern elite college basketball programs that never played in the Final 4 as OADs:

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home

Josh Jackson
Harry Giles
Jayson Tatum
Lonzo Ball
De'Aaron Fox
Malik Monk
Bam Adebayo
Skal Labissiere
Brandon Ingram
Cheick Diallo
Stanley Johnson
Kelly Oubre
Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Aaron Gordon
Nerlens Noel
Archie Goodwin
Austin Rivers
Harrison Barnes
Kyrie Irving
Josh Selby
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
John Henson
Xavier Henry
Kenny Boynton

Surefire OADs shouldn't be choosing a school based on projected team success in the NCAA tournament; its too much of a crapshoot. Coaching, playing time, facilities, dorms, social life and exposure should be bigger factors. Luckily Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, MSU, Kansas and Florida meet most of those criteria anyway.

I hear UK needs to upgrade its dorms though for basketball players. ;)

Is this really true too? Here is the list of Top 10 RSCI prospects from HS ("studs") who went specifically to modern elite college basketball programs that never played in the Final 4 as OADs:

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home

Josh Jackson
Harry Giles
Jayson Tatum
Lonzo Ball
De'Aaron Fox
Malik Monk
Bam Adebayo
Skal Labissiere
Brandon Ingram
Cheick Diallo
Stanley Johnson
Kelly Oubre
Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Aaron Gordon
Nerlens Noel
Archie Goodwin
Austin Rivers
Harrison Barnes
Kyrie Irving
Josh Selby
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
John Henson
Xavier Henry
Kenny Boynton

Surefire OADs shouldn't be choosing a school based on projected team success in the NCAA tournament; its too much of a crapshoot. Coaching, playing time, facilities, dorms, social life and exposure should be bigger factors. Luckily Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, MSU, Kansas and Florida meet most of those criteria anyway.

I hear UK needs to upgrade its dorms though for basketball players. ;)
Nish, can you name one freshman that has ever come in and single handedly won their team the title? I can think of maybe one, Carmello. Granted I haven't been following ball as long as some on here. Note the stud OAD's that have gone to more elite programs and won titles (Okafor, Davis) and compare them to the list of OAD's at not so elite schools.

And yes, dorms need improvement. Sad that as rich of a program as we are, we can't keep up with providing quality housing for our players.

Nish, can you name one freshman that has ever come in and single handedly won their team the title? I can think of maybe one, Carmello. Granted I haven't been following ball as long as some on here. Note the stud OAD's that have gone to more elite programs and won titles (Okafor, Davis) and compare them to the list of OAD's at not so elite schools.

And yes, dorms need improvement. Sad that as rich of a program as we are, we can't keep up with providing quality housing for our players.
UK just updated the lodge since Calipari got here. 2012 I believe.

http://ukcc.uky.edu/cgi-bin/dynamo?maps.391+campus+0242

Clemson is seeded about the same as Kentucky right now, will Zion make them worse?

OK, next year is a new year, who knows how good or bad any team will be next year
And you should direct that to jimbo and Kevin, they’re the guys that think he’s making a mistake if he doesn’t go to a blueblood.

And you should direct that to jimbo and Kevin, they’re the guys that think he’s making a mistake if he doesn’t go to a blueblood.

if he wants to win a championship or even make a FF then he probably would be making a mistake

Basketball is a team sport so its unlikely for any one player to come in and win their team a title.

My point is Zion is unlikely to make a mistake here by choosing Clemson over Duke or Kentucky since at Duke he wouldn't be featured with Barrett and Reddish on board and at UK he wouldn't neccessarily be joining a better team since Clemson's returning multiple double digit scorers and UK will probably be losing Knox, Diallo and Nick Richards.

if he wants to win a championship or even make a FF then he probably would be making a mistake

So by this, you're seceding that Uk needs a top 3 talent to make it to the FF or championship? Because this is the Uk scapegoat when they miss a top top talent. This is YOUR want. Just because he may go elsewhere doesn't mean he doesn't think he can get to a FF or championship there.

I didn’t say that, rock. More years than not you have a better core around you at a Kentucky or Duke than you do a Clemson. There are always exceptions. That’s all I was saying.

Reactions: rockycard
Basketball is a team sport so its unlikely for any one player to come in and win their team a title.

My point is Zion is unlikely to make a mistake here by choosing Clemson over Duke or Kentucky since at Duke he wouldn't be featured with Barrett and Reddish on board and at UK he wouldn't neccessarily be joining a better team since Clemson's returning multiple double digit scorers and UK will probably be losing Knox, Diallo and Nick Richards.
Again, I have never claimed picking Clemson would be a mistake for this kid. All I was saying is more often than not, you will have more talent around you and a better chance to win at elite programs. I haven’t argued once Kentucky will even be better than Clemson next year.

Again, I have never claimed picking Clemson would be a mistake for this kid. All I was saying is more often than not, you will have more talent around you and a better chance to win at elite programs. I haven’t argued once Kentucky will even be better than Clemson next year.

You never said it, but the guy who started this whole discussion did which is why people are taking the tone they are in response.

Here is what that guy posted...

If he chooses Clemson, he must not have high aspirations for a successful year of college hoops.

Reactions: HRTheCard
If he chooses to go to Clemson and they are looking like a NCAA bubble team this year with lots of quality players coming back next year then i will have nothing but mad respect for the kid.

I have way more respect for a guy who thinks he's good enough to turn a bubble team into a contender as opposed to yet another top 5 recruit who goes to an OAD factory where contender status is pretty much guaranteed every year.

Considering you can get drafted #1 overall just as easily at a team that finishes last in its conference as a team that wins the entire championship, to me it just looks like taking the easy way out when you go to a place like Duke or kentucky. I like the guys who prefer the road less traveled.

ADVERTISEMENT