ADVERTISEMENT

Is Zion Williamson Considered a “Bust”?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Or is it still too early? Recently read where he looks to be in better shape this preseason. I’d like to see him be dominant like a few years ago.

Also, were the findings of the Rivals’ College Basketball Forum Investigation Committee ever released on how he came to choose Duke?

Of course it’s too early. He just turned 23 and has career averages of 26 and 8 with two all-star selections in three seasons, as meaningless as they may be. As @WeAreDePaul said, he’s well on his way if he can’t play at a more consistent reliability, but it’s an absurd question to ask at this stage.

Now, if you want to ask if he’s been a bust for New Orleans that’s a different story. For what it’s worth, I, sadly, don’t think he’ll ever realize his full potential. Whether that’s a commitment, durability, or attitude issue, I don’t know. Even so, I think he’s going to fall into the “what could’ve been” category more so than the “bust” category. He’ll end up closer to Brandon Roy than Kwame Brown.

Of course it’s too early. He just turned 23 and has career averages of 26 and 8 with two all-star selections in three seasons, as meaningless as they may be. As @WeAreDePaul said, he’s well on his way if he can’t play at a more consistent reliability, but it’s an absurd question to ask at this stage.

Now, if you want to ask if he’s been a bust for New Orleans that’s a different story. For what it’s worth, I, sadly, don’t think he’ll ever realize his full potential. Whether that’s a commitment, durability, or attitude issue, I don’t know. Even so, I think he’s going to fall into the “what could’ve been” category more so than the “bust” category. He’ll end up closer to Brandon Roy than Kwame Brown.

This is a well reasoned response which is really unfortunate because I was really hoping you were gonna go full homer and defend Zion and then I was gonna respond. “TLdR fat guy defending another fat guy”.

so thanks for ruining my joke.

Or is it still too early? Recently read where he looks to be in better shape this preseason. I’d like to see him be dominant like a few years ago.

Also, were the findings of the Rivals’ College Basketball Forum Investigation Committee ever released on how he came to choose Duke?
I never consider dudes a bust , where injuries have played a major role. His career numbers, 114 games, is 26ppg, 7rpg and nearly 4apg...Those are not the numbers of a "bust". Healthy, hes a monster.

Reactions: tw3301 and ceilo77
I mean if Sam Bowie is considered a bust because of injuries I don’t see how there’s any question about Zion. I don’t think people with injuries should be considered a bust but some people do.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I mean if Sam Bowie is considered a bust because of injuries I don’t see how there’s any question about Zion. I don’t think people with injuries should be considered a bust but some people do.
No one considers Sam Bowie a bust. No one considers anyone a bust because of injuries. At least no one with a brain.

Being fat isn’t an injury. Getting injured because you’re fat doesn’t give you a free pass on bust status either.

No one considers Sam Bowie a bust. No one considers anyone a bust because of injuries. At least no one with a brain.

Being fat isn’t an injury. Getting injured because you’re fat doesn’t give you a free pass on bust status either.
I’ve heard people for years say that Bowie was a bust. How long have you been a doctor/nurse?

Who called Bowie a bust?

Sam Bowie was fat?

azF2-x.gif

man I’ve heard it for years. More so on the golf course, bowling ally, softball field or ball courts just talking sports in general but it’s been brought up for years if he was a bust or not.
What did everyone decide?

man I’ve heard it for years. More so on the golf course, bowling ally, softball field or ball courts just talking sports in general but it’s been brought up for years if he was a bust or not.
I haven’t heard bust. I’ve heard giant draft mistake because of being taken one spot before Jordan, but not bust.

For Zion, it’s still too early. But if he does end up being a bust it will probably be because he didn’t keep his body in shape, which then resulted in injuries. But he’s young and there’s still time.

It’s also an interesting case from a psychological perspective. You have to wonder if he lacks a sense of urgency regarding the NBA as a result of the omnipresent “safety net” of the larger, more influential “Brotherhood” that he’s a part of.

It’s also an interesting case from a psychological perspective. You have to wonder if he lacks a sense of urgency regarding the NBA as a result of the omnipresent “safety net” of the larger, more influential “Brotherhood” that he’s a part of.
It might have been the $75 million Nike contract he signed before bouncing an NBA ball.

Hang around smarter people. Bowie would have been a monster, if not for injuries. Calling a dude a bust b/c of injury is silly. Or even worse, a case like Len Bias. He would have been on a level of an MJ. Dude was that good.

Reactions: cdbearde
I haven’t heard bust. I’ve heard giant draft mistake because of being taken one spot before Jordan, but not bust.

For Zion, it’s still too early. But if he does end up being a bust it will probably be because he didn’t keep his body in shape, which then resulted in injuries. But he’s young and there’s still time.
The Jordan/Bowie thing is so overblown. Like the Bulls knew MJ was gonna turn into, well, ****ing Superman. Although very good in college, MJ had some huge questions with his jump shot, and his ball handling. Well, we all lknow how that turned out.

And look, back then---BIG men was the way the league was. Its why Hakeem went #1 and Bowie #2.

Edit---Look at that draft. Never hear of the 5 or 6 guards that were taken before Stockton(16th). Alvin Robertson, Lancaster Gordon, Leon Wood, Jay Humphries and Terrence Stansbury.

Jerome Kersey was the 46th pick.

That draft class was very, very, VERY top heavy. After the first 5-6 picks, pretty shitty; besides Stock and Kersey.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdbearde
The Jordan/Bowie thing is so overblown. Like the Bulls knew MJ was gonna turn into, well, ****ing Superman. Although very good in college, MJ had some huge questions with his jump shot, and his ball handling. Well, we all lknow how that turned out.

And look, back then---BIG men was the way the league was. Its why Hakeem went #1 and Bowie #2.

Edit---Look at that draft. Never hear of the 5 or 6 guards that were taken before Stockton(16th). Alvin Robertson, Lancaster Gordon, Leon Wood, Jay Humphries and Terrence Stansbury.

Jerome Kersey was the 46th pick.

That draft class was very, very, VERY top heavy. After the first 5-6 picks, pretty shitty; besides Stock and Kersey.
No argument here. Was a big mans league in those days and the Blazers had taken Drexler the year before. I just don’t think anyone would have mentioned the Bowie pick decades later if it weren’t for MJ being picked right after.

In terms of overall production, he's clearly not meeting expectations. Playing less than 30 games in 3 of his 4 seasons is a major red flag. Sam Bowie played over 500 games in his career, in spite of all his injuries. Kind of hard for me to imagine that Zion will match that.

Talent-wise, though? He has plenty of talent. Not a top 10 player like many would have imagined, but still very effective, when healthy.

Reactions: UL_1986
Is there anyone out there thst really thought Zion's body was going to come close to making it through half of an NBA season?

If he played slow and deliberate, he would have a chance, but you can't play the way he does 3 or 4 days a week at that size. So in my opinion, he's only a bust for anyone that believed he could physically play 3+ games a week.

Is there anyone out there thst really thought Zion's body was going to come close to making it through half of an NBA season?

If he played slow and deliberate, he would have a chance, but you can't play the way he does 3 or 4 days a week at that size. So in my opinion, he's only a bust for anyone that believed he could physically play 3+ games a week.
I bet if you looked closely, you would find 100 guys built just like Zion who have had great NBA careers.

He has been injured. It happens.

Ever hear of Charles Barkley.

It amazes me the amount of pure speculation that turns into people inventing facts to bash a young man who you have never met.

Sad.

I bet if you looked closely, you would find 100 guys built just like Zion who have had great NBA careers.

He has been injured. It happens.

Ever hear of Charles Barkley.

It amazes me the amount of pure speculation that turns into people inventing facts to bash a young man who you have never met.

Sad.
If you think Barkley is built anything like Zion, I feel like I would have no problem selling a large parcel of Nebraskan ocean front property to you.

There is nobody that is built like Zion that plays the way Zion does. Put your duke fan card away, nobody is shitting on duke.

If you think Barkley is built anything like Zion, I feel like I would have no problem selling a large parcel of Nebraskan ocean front property to you.

There is nobody that is built like Zion that plays the way Zion does. Put your duke fan card away, nobody is shitting on duke.
Yeah, that round mound of rebound name came from him being Chet Holmgren like huh?

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
Yeah, that round mound of rebound name came from him being Chet Holmgren like huh?
Who cares? Zion certainly doesn’t, the guy has a massive bank acvount because he’s big.

Maybe you should drop Duke as your favorite school and start cheering for Toledo State, or some other terrible program, you don't handle being a Duke fan very well.

Who cares? Zion certainly doesn’t, the guy has a massive bank acvount because he’s big.

Maybe you should drop Duke as your favorite school and start cheering for Toledo State, or some other terrible program, you don't handle being a Duke fan very well.
wow, you are a little sensitive honey. Maybe head on back to RR with the rest of the toothless lunatic UK fans.

I apologize for getting you upset with a response to a post on a message board.

btw, if Zion doesnt care why is he working his ass off this off season.

You know nothing except that UK hasnt won a dam thing since 2012 and that Calipari just isnt that good.

wow, you are a little sensitive honey. Maybe head on back to RR with the rest of the toothless lunatic UK fans.

I apologize for getting you upset with a response to a post on a message board.

btw, if Zion doesnt care why is he working his ass off this off season.

You know nothing except that UK hasnt won a dam thing since 2012 and that Calipari just isnt that good.
Why is Zion working his ass off? Well, because he’s an NBA player, that’s what all of them do on a consistent basis. Do you honestly think 'bron just sits on the vouch eating bon bons when he's not playing?

As far as me getting upset, that’s funny, I've been nothing but calm, you're the one who got his vagina all twisted because I made a comment about Zion's durability.

He is a really good player and ridiculously efficient even in the NBA. Of course, he isn't really available and that is kind of important. He just needs to come work out with me and learn how to take care of himself a little better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT