ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the ACC?

Who will win the ACC Regular Season Title in 2021?

• Clemson

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Duke

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Florida State

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Virginia

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
ACC has a lot of good teams, but no one is dominant. Not sure we have any real Final Four contenders this year. Who takes the regular season title this year?

I'll say Clemson by a hair over FSU.

I want to say it's a three-team battle between Clemson, FSU, and Virginia. I think Louisville could be a threat once they get Malik Williams and Charles Minlend integrated into the offense. Clemson currently has the #1 rated defense is the country. Crazy.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I agree except I think we might be able to be the fourth team in the mix with FSU uva and Clemson.

Especially if we can get Malik back and playing well inside. He is really our only rim protector. Not sure what to expect from Mineland, but anything he gives will be a plus even if it’s just good defense and depth.

we will learn a lot next Monday vs FSU. I would rank the top FSU UVA Clemson UL VTech atm.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
I want to say it's a three-team battle between Clemson, FSU, and Virginia. I think Louisville could be a threat once they get Malik Williams and Charles Minlend integrated into the offense. Clemson currently has the #1 rated defense is the country. Crazy.

I'm not sold on UVA but I think UL will be good late in the season.

No clue tbh. I’ve watched FSU a bit and they look really good. I like our chances if we keep playing like we’re playing. It’ll help to get Malik and Minlend back healthy. I haven’t seen enough of Virginia to make a prediction but TB is proven. VT looked solid when we played them, and I’ve heard good things about Clemson.

UL looks tough to me. Haven’t kept up lately, how are Duke and UNC playing?

With the return of Malik Williams, UL very well could be the team to beat.

Duke and UNC are both playing better, but clearly not at their typical elite status. You figure they'll improve a bit as the season progresses, as both are very reliant on freshmen. Duke does a decent job at pressuring the ball in the backcourt (20th in the nation in steals). But, once teams get a couple of passes in, they're usually able to exploit our defense and get high-percentage looks. UNC's frontcourt is elite. They probably rebound 40% of their misses, which is helpful because they do miss A LOT of shots. Perimeter shooting is the Achilles heel. They shoot below 30% as a team from three. Probably need to give Kerwin Walton more minutes. There's potential in both teams, but certainly some obvious weaknesses to overcome.

UL looks tough to me. Haven’t kept up lately, how are Duke and UNC playing?

UNC IMO has a ways to go but they are slowly getting better. Our freshman guards turning the ball over and the lack of outside shooting will be something we have to improve on. The front court is big and deep and Day'ron Sharpe is a load.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
With the return of Malik Williams, UL very well could be the team to beat.

Duke and UNC are both playing better, but clearly not at their typical elite status. You figure they'll improve a bit as the season progresses, as both are very reliant on freshmen. Duke does a decent job at pressuring the ball in the backcourt (20th in the nation in steals). But, once teams get a couple of passes in, they're usually able to exploit our defense and get high-percentage looks. UNC's frontcourt is elite. They probably rebound 40% of their misses, which is helpful because they do miss A LOT of shots. Perimeter shooting is the Achilles heel. They shoot below 30% as a team from three. Probably need to give Kerwin Walton more minutes. There's potential in both teams, but certainly some obvious weaknesses to overcome.
The problem with our team is we hve so much youth we don’t close out games very well. We can’t hold a big lead worth a shit. We’re getting better, but a long long way to go imo.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I agree except I think we might be able to be the fourth team in the mix with FSU uva and Clemson.

Especially if we can get Malik back and playing well inside. He is really our only rim protector. Not sure what to expect from Mineland, but anything he gives will be a plus even if it’s just good defense and depth.

we will learn a lot next Monday vs FSU. I would rank the top FSU UVA Clemson UL VTech atm.

I think y’all beat us Monday by double digits. We play UNC on Saturday and then travel up. Tough turnaround.

We play Saturday @miami as well I believe so we have a short turnaround as well, although still a bit worse for y’all being on the road twice and playing UNC who can bang you around down low. I don’t know what to think of Miami except they still have Chris lykes for like the 10th season although he’s missed quite a few games, McGusty has as well. Hopefully we don’t look ahead to Monday and take care of business @ Miami.

I’d be very surprised if either team won by double digits Monday unless it’s y’all, but who knows. Y’all looked pretty damn impressive vs NCState.

It should be really fun watching jones and johnson go up against Walker and Barnes. I just don’t know if we have the beef down low to hang with Balsa and company. I’m not real familiar with FSU big men outside of Balsa but I know ham usually has 2-3 every season.

I think y’all beat us Monday by double digits. We play UNC on Saturday and then travel up. Tough turnaround.
We’re def not beating you guys by double digits. No way. I think the game is a toss up, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by 10.

We play Saturday @miami as well I believe so we have a short turnaround as well, although still a bit worse for y’all being on the road twice and playing UNC who can bang you around down low. I don’t know what to think of Miami except they still have Chris lykes for like the 10th season although he’s missed quite a few games, McGusty has as well. Hopefully we don’t look ahead to Monday and take care of business @ Miami.

I’d be very surprised if either team won by double digits Monday unless it’s y’all, but who knows. Y’all looked pretty damn impressive vs NCState.

It should be really fun watching jones and johnson go up against Walker and Barnes. I just don’t know if we have the beef down low to hang with Balsa and company. I’m not real familiar with FSU big men outside of Balsa but I know ham usually has 2-3 every season.

Barnes rolled an ankle against NCSU and is questionable for the UNC game on Saturday. Unclear what that means for Monday, but he’s definitely not 100%. Coincidentally, (or maybe not) Rayquan Evans—the backup PG who played a solid role in the second half of FSU/UL game 2 last year—played his best game of the year with Barnes hobbled. Career high 24 and just seemed more confident.

Our bigs besides Balsa...ehh. RaiQuan Gray is a matchup problem for every team but he’s more of a point forward than a true big. Malik Osborne has completely regressed from last year. Baffling really. Beyond that you have Tanor Ngom (7 footer) who has flashed a play or two but overall seems a little out of his element at this level of play. And then Quincy Ballard (7 footer) who looks like he will be a real player down the road, showing impressive hands and athleticism, but he’s extremely raw after not playing a ton of high school ball.

The NC State game was just one of those where we couldn’t miss. Any team will look great when they shoot 70% from the field. But we shoot much better at Tuck than on the road, so I would be surprised if we even shot 50%.

It's pretty wide open. I think UVA has the best team but I haven't looked at everyone's schedules and that can make a big difference in a conference with so many teams.

It's pretty wide open. I think UVA has the best team but I haven't looked at everyone's schedules and that can make a big difference in a conference with so many teams.

Not only the schedules, but canceled games. If one team misses out on playing FSU, UL, and UVA due to Covid, that would be a huge advantage.

Barnes rolled an ankle against NCSU and is questionable for the UNC game on Saturday. Unclear what that means for Monday, but he’s definitely not 100%. Coincidentally, (or maybe not) Rayquan Evans—the backup PG who played a solid role in the second half of FSU/UL game 2 last year—played his best game of the year with Barnes hobbled. Career high 24 and just seemed more confident.

Our bigs besides Balsa...ehh. RaiQuan Gray is a matchup problem for every team but he’s more of a point forward than a true big. Malik Osborne has completely regressed from last year. Baffling really. Beyond that you have Tanor Ngom (7 footer) who has flashed a play or two but overall seems a little out of his element at this level of play. And then Quincy Ballard (7 footer) who looks like he will be a real player down the road, showing impressive hands and athleticism, but he’s extremely raw after not playing a ton of high school ball.

The NC State game was just one of those where we couldn’t miss. Any team will look great when they shoot 70% from the field. But we shoot much better at Tuck than on the road, so I would be surprised if we even shot 50%.

I definitely remember Gray, he’s kind of a pudgy fella that can shoot if from deep right? I don’t really remember osbourne from last year but that don’t mean much bc I barely remember the big kid that went lotto off the bench for y’all playing against us last year. I just remember Vassell Walker and Forrest taking our small guards to the lane and either pulling up over them or taking them right to the rim.

Our young bigs have played admirably this far, but we are still just so thin down low without Williams. We have two classic centers in Wiznitzer(fr) and Igehon(soph) but neither are ready for big time minutes, and sadly igehon May never be ready if something doesn’t click for him soon. The main guys we play at center are really 4s in Withers and Traynor. Which is turn has made us bump Sam williamson to the 4 and frosh Dre Davis at the 3 (actually those two are pretty interchangeable as far as sf or of).

Hopefully Barnes is healed up by gametime, bc it should be really fun watching the two backcourts go at it.

Reactions: GE Nole
The poll is showing a lot of love for Florida State. Makes sense after they trounced NC State. I wouldn't make too much of one game, however. They're certainly a contender. I like the fact that there clearly isn't a runaway favorite. I think we're in store for a A LOT of close games down the stretch. Should be fun.

Fun fact: Duke has yet to win a game against a top 50 team.

Reactions: duckboy33
The poll is showing a lot of love for Florida State. Makes sense after they trounced NC State. I wouldn't make too much of one game, however. They're certainly a contender. I like the fact that there clearly isn't a runaway favorite. I think we're in store for a A LOT of close games down the stretch. Should be fun.

Fun fact: Duke has yet to win a game against a top 50 team.

I agree, it's going to be close and lots of teams are in contention (including FSU)

I definitely remember Gray, he’s kind of a pudgy fella that can shoot if from deep right?

He's like a miniature version of Draymond Green at the collegiate level. Not All-American level, certainly. But, he can do a little bit of everything. And he has that size, too.

Reactions: Villian07
I agree, it's going to be close and lots of teams are in contention (including FSU)

For sure. FSU is definitely a contender. They're in the upper echelon... Honestly, can't remember a season that's been this wide open before where realistically 5-6 teams could win it.

I saw Oregon paused basketball activities recently. When do you think you guys will play again? Late January?

For sure. FSU is definitely a contender. They're in the upper echelon... Honestly, can't remember a season that's been this wide open before where realistically 5-6 teams could win it.

I saw Oregon paused basketball activities recently. When do you think you guys will play again? Late January?

That would be my best guess. I haven't heard anything about it. I know Thursday and Saturdays games were cancelled. No word on next week's games yet but I'm betting they will be postponed as well. It will be challenging resuming play after the whole team was forced to quarantine for a period of time. The only bright side is that it gives Will Richardson (Oregon's PG and arguably the best player) more time to recover from his thumb surgery. They may have lucked out not playing ASU, Zona, UCLA and USC without him.

Glad to hear you’re seeing the same regression with Osborne as I am. I mentioned on the FSU BB board and got skewered lol. Well, maybe not but several disagreed with me. I trust what I see. He was solid last year. Looks much less so now.

Duke to cancel remainder of season in 3..2..1..

The Duke women already canceled the season. Wouldn't be overly surprising if we dip below .500 in league play and decide to call it quits. K certainly ain't playing in the NIT. I actually think we're starting to play decent, but we still haven't won a top 50 game. So, means very little at this point.

He's like a miniature version of Draymond Green at the collegiate level. Not All-American level, certainly. But, he can do a little bit of everything. And he has that size, too.

Yeah, that’s a good description. His best asset is his defensive awareness. Elite instincts and his quick hands and feet allow him to get a lot of deflections.

On offense he can make an outside shot but he’s better when he’s blowing by bigs who are too slow to stick with him. He’s got a pretty nice handle and first step for a guy with his girth.

Glad to hear you’re seeing the same regression with Osborne as I am. I mentioned on the FSU BB board and got skewered lol. Well, maybe not but several disagreed with me. I trust what I see. He was solid last year. Looks much less so now.

He just looks so uncomfortable this year. Guys like MJ and Gray and Balsa all seem to really have clarity and confidence in their role. Osborne just seems like he has no idea what he’s being asked to do and it’s causing him to think too much.

Speak of the devil, Osborne stepped up big today with Barnes out. Easily his best game of the season.

Walker was Walker with 21 points, Gray played NBA level ball with 19, 5 assists, 4 boards, 3 steals, and a block.

If only the Duke game had been played, we’d be 3 for 3 against the Tobacco Road. 20th straight ACC home win.

Speak of the devil, Osborne stepped up big today with Barnes out. Easily his best game of the season.

Walker was Walker with 21 points, Gray played NBA level ball with 19, 5 assists, 4 boards, 3 steals, and a block.

If only the Duke game had been played, we’d be 3 for 3 against the Tobacco Road. 20th straight ACC home win.

Good game. You guys are tough.

I like some of the improvement I’m seeing from our young back court, but Walker and company were just too much.

Gray had a huge game. I’m not so sure they’re not playing better team ball w/o Barnes. Big man just missed a double double.

Miami wins. Wow. 5 players out injured.
We def shit the bed. Didn’t hurt some kid I’ve never heard of went for 30 and 16 and we shot 3-23 from 3 but still no excuse to lose to Miami without lykes and mcgusty.

sorry we couldn’t hold up our end of the bargain for big Monday fsu fans.

Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT