ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the ACC?

Who will win the ACC Regular Season Title in 2021?

• Clemson

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Duke

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Florida State

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Virginia

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
We def shit the bed. Didn’t hurt some kid I’ve never heard of went for 30 and 16 and we shot 3-23 from 3 but still no excuse to lose to Miami without lykes and mcgusty.

sorry we couldn’t hold up our end of the bargain for big Monday fsu fans.

I don’t like that you lost. Probably going to piss your guys off and they’ll be out for blood. The transfer guard you have is going to give FSU problems. Great creator.

I don’t like that you lost. Probably going to piss your guys off and they’ll be out for blood. The transfer guard you have is going to give FSU problems. Great creator.

Jones is a hooper for sure. He was such a god send for our young roster, our only other upperclassman (and only exp Center) has been hurt all year, Malik Williams. Without Carlik I’m not so sure we would make the tourney (which I guess it’s never too late for a collapse, but we are soooo much better with him on the court). Look back at wisky beating us by 40 without him if you need proof.

Sadly I suspect we got the big head and overlooked Miami knowing FSU was coming to town Monday. Regardless of the reason we didn’t handle our business, against a team I feel like we should have beaten, esp with them missing lykes and mcgusty. But that’s why they play the games. Hopefully the bad vibes don’t roll over to Monday’s game.

Any word whether Barnes will be back by then?

Haven’t heard anything much on Barnes. A few who saw the game said he was out of the boot on the sidelines. Talk is he wasn’t on the sidelines for the 2nd half. Saw a rumor he was being disciplined for something. Just hearsay tho. Ham doesn’t give much info.🤷‍♂️

Speak of the devil, Osborne stepped up big today with Barnes out. Easily his best game of the season.

Walker was Walker with 21 points, Gray played NBA level ball with 19, 5 assists, 4 boards, 3 steals, and a block.

If only the Duke game had been played, we’d be 3 for 3 against the Tobacco Road. 20th straight ACC home win.

We're not a dominant team, obviously. But, it's not like Duke is a gimme. FWIW, Hamilton hasn't beaten K, home or away, since 2012.

Reactions: sgrooms
Justin Champagnie is 2nd in the nation in rebounding. Who would have thunk it!? Not bad for a 6'6 200 lb forward.

We're not a dominant team, obviously. But, it's not like Duke is a gimme. FWIW, Hamilton hasn't beaten K, home or away, since 2012.

Yep. But this years team...just have a hard time seeing Duke win in Tuck coming off a 3.5 week layoff. Yalls first game back ended up being BC, which was a 1 point win at home.

Also, K wasn’t gonna be coaching in this one either. He seems to not enjoy coming to Tallahassee lol.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yep. But this years team...just have a hard time seeing Duke win in Tuck coming off a 3.5 week layoff. Yalls first game back ended up being BC, which was a 1 point win at home.

Also, K wasn’t gonna be coaching in this one either. He seems to not enjoy coming to Tallahassee lol.

Lol, yes. Conveniently unavailable. More than likely we lose by 8-14 points.

I think he has an argument for being the best player in the ACC.

A very good argument, tbh. If Erick Green can be ACC POY on a last-place team, no reason why Champagnie couldn't win it. Funny thing is, most of the regulars on this board (non-ACC fans, of course) probably don't even know who he is.

Reactions: GE Nole
Just watch

They look better with Walton starting. And Harris is back. That could go a long ways. If they could correct that awful perimeter shooting, they could be dangerous. Just not a huge fan of Caleb Love. I think Roy is fully invested in him, so he's going to play through his mistakes, unlike most freshmen.

Thoughts on the FSU-UL game tonight?
No word on Barnes yet. I’ll say UL close.

I’m told that Barnes is 75-80% likely to be out. Gonna see how he feels in the shoot around but he would have to be moving around much better for Ham to let him give it a go. Would rather let the ankle heal right than end up with a nagging injury for a month.

CY was in Tallahassee as of yesterday. Not sure he makes the the trip because they don’t feel great about him flying commercial.

Give me FSU by 5.

Is walker playing? I can’t understand why the spread is going towards Louisville. I know we are playing at home but I feel like FSU is playing much much better than we are right now. Not to mention our lack of a Center.

Ive got a bill on the FSU ML but thinking about doubling it if Walker is playing.

I’m told that Barnes is 75-80% likely to be out. Gonna see how he feels in the shoot around but he would have to be moving around much better for Ham to let him give it a go. Would rather let the ankle heal right than end up with a nagging injury for a month.

CY was in Tallahassee as of yesterday. Not sure he makes the the trip because they don’t feel great about him flying commercial.

Give me FSU by 5.
Even with Barnes out, I just don’t see us winning this one. FSU size will bother us. Also, if we shoot like we did against Miami it’s a double digit loss.

Do you think either make it back in this year? If so, which one?

I think both are fringe top 25 teams. I think Carolina has a higher ceiling because their biggest weakness, perimeter shooting, can largely be corrected with simply more minutes/shots for the better shooters, Kerwin Walton and Anthony Harris. And the three-headed frontcourt monster is about as good as it gets. UNC's frontcourt is top 5 in the nation, IMO. Somewhere in the top 5 with Gonzaga, Iowa, and Texas (maybe Michigan-Purdue-Wisconsin for the final spot)... Caleb Love's minutes are starting to go down, and honestly, that's a good thing for UNC.

Duke has some good pieces. Just wish I could have more confidence in the defense. Also, not sure how we're going to be once Jalen Johnson returns. I feel like we've actually had much better ball movement without him in the lineup. Overall though, yes, I think UNC has a little more potential this season. They already have top 50 wins, unlike Duke. So, wouldn't be surprised to see them return to the top 25.

I think both are fringe top 25 teams. I think Carolina has a higher ceiling because their biggest weakness, perimeter shooting, can largely be corrected with simply more minutes/shots for the better shooters, Kerwin Walton and Anthony Harris. And the three-headed frontcourt monster is about as good as it gets. UNC's frontcourt is top 5 in the nation, IMO. Somewhere in the top 5 with Gonzaga, Iowa, and Texas (maybe Michigan-Purdue-Wisconsin for the final spot)... Caleb Love's minutes are starting to go down, and honestly, that's a good thing for UNC.

Duke has some good pieces. Just wish I could have more confidence in the defense. Also, not sure how we're going to be once Jalen Johnson returns. I feel like we've actually had much better ball movement without him in the lineup. Overall though, yes, I think UNC has a little more potential this season. They already have top 50 wins, unlike Duke. So, wouldn't be surprised to see them return to the top 25.

Very thoughtful analysis and I’m inclined to agree. I think UNC has a higher ceiling but both are fringe top 25 type teams. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if neither or both sneak back in at some point.

Even with Barnes out, I just don’t see us winning this one. FSU size will bother us. Also, if we shoot like we did against Miami it’s a double digit loss.

My guess is that David Johnson busts out of his slump. Prime time games at home against a rival have a way of bringing kids out of funks, especially funks that were on the road.

However, I agree with you about the size. I’ll be interested to see how Jones handles our bigger, physical guards.

This is very similar to my thoughts on UNC/Duke.

Put it this way—I could see UNC snagging the 4th double bye for the ACCT. Hard to see Duke finishing top 4, at least based on current rosters and product on the court.

However, tomorrow’s game could change that. At Pitt will be a great litmus test for the Blue Devils.

Yikes, we’re getting blasted. Props to FSU. We’re losing this by double digits.

Yea this ones over. Tip your hat to FSU they demolished us in less than a half smdh.

Another blowout in the making? Seemed like every other notable game last week had a 20+ point margin. We need more close games.

The way things are trending it looks like UVa and FSU might separate from the rest of the field. As for how they stack up after that, it's hard to say. Pretty clear however that the league is not very good this season.

This is very similar to my thoughts on UNC/Duke.

Put it this way—I could see UNC snagging the 4th double bye for the ACCT. Hard to see Duke finishing top 4, at least based on current rosters and product on the court.

However, tomorrow’s game could change that. At Pitt will be a great litmus test for the Blue Devils.

Seems fair. I think UVA, FSU, and Clemson will probably be in the top 4. Final spot is a little unclear to me. Could very well be UNC.

The Pitt game will be a good challenge. Could see it going either way. K is 30-5 against former players or assistants. Brey is the only one to take him down. But, that stat obviously means very little in the heat of the game.

How many layups did our guards miss tonight? Goodness. I was pleased with the effort when we were down 15, would just be nice to pull out a W against a quality opponent. I think Champagnie is the likely favorite to win ACC POY.

@MGC_07 K put Jalen Johnson in for 4 minutes last week in the game against VT. That's going to hurt his averages, but looks like he got his legs back tonight against Pitt. 24 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 0 turnovers. Very, very skilled. Special player.

Reactions: MGC_07
@dukedevilz what do you think is the biggest issue right now? You look at the roster and it’s a half dozen kids who were top 40 recruits. Teams like FSU, Pitt, and Clemson can’t even come close to matching that. But then you look at the product on the floor...something just isn’t adding up.

@dukedevilz what do you think is the biggest issue right now? You look at the roster and it’s a half dozen kids who were top 40 recruits. Teams like FSU, Pitt, and Clemson can’t even come close to matching that. But then you look at the product on the floor...something just isn’t adding up.

FSU, Pitt, and Clemson have a heck of a lot more experience, though. And outside of Jalen Johnson, none of the Duke freshmen are especially elite.

Hard to pinpoint a single issue. We don't excel in anything. The defense frustrates me the most. If Goldwire or another guard isn't getting pressure 30-40 feet away from the basket, the other team is almost always getting a high-percentage shot. There are 75 schools in the P6 conferences, and only 5 of those schools have a worse team fg% defense. And only 3 schools have a worse team 3-pt% defense. Crazy high-percentage shots when teams move the ball around against Duke. Defensive rotations are not sound. Interior defense & defensive rebounding isn't great. K went zone last night, and I expect we'll see much more of that going forward.

Another thing to consider, is we don't have a traditional big we can drop the ball to for a quick post-up. Hurt can do this to a certain extent, but more often than not he's taking jumpers. So, we're very perimeter-oriented. Which isn't highly helpful when Hurt is the only great shooter on the team (I think Baker/Brakefield could be, if they were given more minutes/shots). Roach, Steward, Goldwire, and Moore have played the most minutes, aside from Hurt, and they combine to shoot under 29% from three. Our offense is still decent, but not a traditional high-powered Duke offense. We've had a top 15 offense every year in the KenPom era, with the lone exception being 2007. This year, our offense is ranked 30th. I think there's still potential for this team to be decent, but I'm inclined to say the more likelier scenario is we're a bubble team. I will say, I think Jalen Johnson's performance last night was encouraging. The most talented player in the ACC, IMO. He gave us a chance last night, and he has the ability to lift us to another level. The offense needs to run through him going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT