ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the gold standard of college basketball?

Every year speaks for itself. The "Gold Standard" might include schools like UNC and Kansas for history's sake, the truth of that is none of that matters to what is happening now. There are teams out there that can take these bluebloods to the woodshed on any given night.

Yeah…KU’s old news. They’ve only won 21 of their last 22, including a national championship.

That Bahamas game really went to your heads didn’t it?

Reactions: mikeinknoxville
Full of myself because I don't think that Duke (who just lost the coach that achieved everything) isn't the gold standard right now? 🤣

Self has underachieved far less than Duke during his time at KU. In case you hadn't noticed, it's Duke that has a bunch of top 10 recruits every year. KU just won a title with zero 5 stars and only a few top 100 players in the rotation.

Duke is battling Kentucky for title of the biggest underachiever of the last decade.
Only Kansas fans think Kansas is the gold standard...

Unfortunately for Tennessee and Barnes, the NCAAT is still a thing that exist and matters. If it wasn't for that they would they would be up there in terms of teams to be concerned with.
Are you saying because we don't cheat, we won't win? I don't think UK cheats either, so are they out of the conversation too?

Only Kansas fans think Kansas is the gold standard...

I didn’t create the thread. All I’ve said is that they’ve been the top program in recent years. I never said anything about all-time.

I didn’t create the thread. All I’ve said is that they’ve been the top program in recent years. I never said anything about all-time.
He is a UK fan, so he is a bitter pill these days.

Yeah…KU’s old news. They’ve only won 21 of their last 22, including a national championship.

That Bahamas game really went to your heads didn’t it?
Nah, Kansas is still a helluva a good team and a great basketball program.
As is UNC.

My thoughts are let's let history go when speaking of what matters today. And yes I would definitely say Kansas is very relevant this year

Are you saying because we don't cheat, we won't win? I don't think UK cheats either, so are they out of the conversation too?
Typical AFAM U fan. They still don't think their team cheated for 23 years.

He said Gold Standard in college basketball now.

UK and Duke are now nba prep schools that sellout their roster year over year. They can't be college basketball gold standards.

Kansas is literally paying players. So it can't be them.

It just leaves UNC, which is fitting because of the Carolina Way.

Now I told you to end this topic in post 2. We didn't need a topic full of people trolling nonsense after that.
Yeah, that cheating thing just doesn't matter huh?

I think Self’s won three more tourney games during his time at KU. With about half as many first rounders. It’s quite an advantage to have your pick of the litter. Self hasn’t been able to build his ideal roster in well over a decade. He misses constantly while Duke rarely does. If one of the two has been an underachiever, it’s pretty clear who it is.

Btw, Duke failed to reach the Sweet 16 six times in that span, partner. Including losses to 15 seed Lehigh and 14 seed Mercer.
Opinions are great aren't they. Just like assholes. And again, the amount of time you spend looking shit up about other programs is kind of worrisome.

I have no idea who the Towsen kid or the App State kid you are that were mentioned as good Kansas players.

And I could care even less as to when you lost or how many FF's or Sweet 16's you missed.

Everyone knows Kansas cheats as proven by Billy's suspension. That wasn't for good behavior was it.

"Kansas is literally paying players."

Aside from the fact that it's Adidas that literally pays players...tell me you're literally clueless about the landscape of college recruiting without literally saying it. 😆

Opinions are great aren't they. Just like assholes. And again, the amount of time you spend looking shit up about other programs is kind of worrisome.

I have no idea who the Towsen kid or the App State kid you are that were mentioned as good Kansas players.

And I could care even less as to when you lost or how many FF's or Sweet 16's you missed.

Everyone knows Kansas cheats as proven by Billy's suspension. That wasn't for good behavior was it.

Yep. Facts are great too. I've spent very little time looking up info about Duke, but tell me more "Afamu." 🤣

Too funny.

Btw, everyone knows that a boatload of Duke players took money, including Zion. Sorry, sport.

Listening to Duke and UK fans talk about under achieving is honestly one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time. Those guys sign a starting 5 of 5 stars every year. Especially UK. Bill Self would have 5 titles in that span with that talent. Not that Ku doesn’t get talent because we most certainly do but our coach isn’t signing the classes like them.

KU is the best program right now and has been for awhile. But it is KU so we won’t get the attention like the other 3 blue bloods would. Doesn’t mean KU is the best program of all time but we are without a doubt the best program at present day. Doesn’t really mean much because most of the these schools are one year away from a title at any point.

UK was great in the early days. Modern era they really haven’t been that consistent.

KU and Duke have been the best modern era teams. And lol at knocking the big 12 when 3/3 big 12 teams played for a title and in 2020 KU was by far the best team and also had Baylor as a one seed. That team was built to win in March.

I would rank UK, UNC and KU in that order for GOAT but it is very close. If KU won the title this year then I would slide them in front of UNC. I think those two are neck and neck but would give to the edge to UNC historically but KU is the gold standard and best position moving forward as long as Bill Self is around.

Duke, UNC, UK and KU are all pretty much the same. UK and KU face the same problems in that there are teams in their own conference rising up to make thing difficult for them. Duke and UNC don't have as many uprisings, but are so close together they have to fight one another constantly. Someone accused me of stirring the pot, but that is silly in the fact the pot is self stirring.

She's a Tennessee fan Charmin. Also don't act like your dad doesn't have any skeletons in his closet because I bet there's alot.
How is it possible that this is not an established fact?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Listening to Duke and UK fans talk about under achieving is honestly one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time. Those guys sign a starting 5 of 5 stars every year. Especially UK. Bill Self would have 5 titles in that span with that talent. Not that Ku doesn’t get talent because we most certainly do but our coach isn’t signing the classes like them.

KU is the best program right now and has been for awhile. But it is KU so we won’t get the attention like the other 3 blue bloods would. Doesn’t mean KU is the best program of all time but we are without a doubt the best program at present day. Doesn’t really mean much because most of the these schools are one year away from a title at any point.

UK was great in the early days. Modern era they really haven’t been that consistent.

KU and Duke have been the best modern era teams. And lol at knocking the big 12 when 3/3 big 12 teams played for a title and in 2020 KU was by far the best team and also had Baylor as a one seed. That team was built to win in March.

I would rank UK, UNC and KU in that order for GOAT but it is very close. If KU won the title this year then I would slide them in front of UNC. I think those two are neck and neck but would give to the edge to UNC historically but KU is the gold standard and best position moving forward as long as Bill Self is around.

Self is probably the best coach in MBB right now. All the great coaches have shit the bed with great teams, it happens to everyone.

Self is probably the best coach in MBB right now. All the great coaches have shit the bed with great teams, it happens to everyone.

There were definitely some KU fans who wanted to run him out of town when he lost to Bucknell and Bradley back to back. Especially those who were nostalgic for Roy ball. Northern Iowa sucked too. He hasn't really had a major upset in the last decade though. Stanford was a big disappointment, but that team just wasn't the same without Embiid. They stumbled to the finish line.

There were definitely some KU fans who wanted to run him out of town when he lost to Bucknell and Bradley back to back. Especially those who were nostalgic for Roy ball. Northern Iowa sucked too. He hasn't really had a major upset in the last decade though. Stanford was a big disappointment, but that team just wasn't the same without Embiid. They stumbled to the finish line.

I hear you. We all clown each other when it happens to our respective teams, some can't take it some can and the ones that can are still here. Roy's years after the last natty were terrible, didn't make it past the first weekend if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
It’s definitely partly the fact that you need to be in a position to choke before you can choke, too. There’s a reason Mark Few was above reproach when he was an 11-seed losing in the sweet 16 as opposed to the criticism he receives as a 1-seed losing in the Elite Eight/Final Four. It’s all relative. Jay Wright was a world class choke artist until he wasn’t, too.

Dude, don't talk about things you don't seem to know about. UK has 3 natty's during the modern era and lots of final 4's. And 5 more natty's that no one wants to consider here lol. And we don't have 5 5*'s every year lol. Usually when we're damn good we have a handful, like next year. And we've over achieved in a few of those successful seasons. We set our sites on a national title every year, but when we don't at least make it to the elite 8, then that season wasn't successful.

You can probably thank us for spanking your ass in AFH last year.

Reactions: bignish
Dude, don't talk about things you don't seem to know about. UK has 3 natty's during the modern era and lots of final 4's. And 5 more natty's that no one wants to consider here lol. And we don't have 5 5*'s every year lol. Usually when we're damn good we have a handful, like next year. And we've over achieved in a few of those successful seasons. We set our sites on a national title every year, but when we don't at least make it to the elite 8, then that season wasn't successful.

You can probably thank us for spanking your ass in AFH last year.

In most years, Kentucky has 5-7 five stars. The only reason it dipped the last two years is because they've mixed in some top transfers. Like, y'know, NPOY Tshiebwe.

What a joke, you think Bill Self ever maximized the top recruits he did have like Andrew Wiggins, Josh Selby, Josh Jackson, Billy Preston, Quentin Grimes, Cheick Diallo, Cliff Alexander, etc.

Your list of top 20 HS recruit busts is impressive. Self is partly to blame for not putting those guys in the best position to succeed.

Self is one of the best coaches of all time but his expertise lies in getting transfers to buy in and managing experienced rosterd. He's been awful coaching elite freshmen so not sure why you think his results would be better if he had more of them.

Duke certainly hasn't underachieved in the OAD era, would be nice to have another FF or title but its a single elimination tournament. We've produced 7 Freshman All-Americans, won the ACC or ACCT 3 times, been to 4 Elite 8s 2 Final 4s and won a Natty in 7 year (no tourney in 2020).

Reactions: RipThru
Yep. Facts are great too. I've spent very little time looking up info about Duke, but tell me more "Afamu." 🤣

Too funny.

Btw, everyone knows that a boatload of Duke players took money, including Zion. Sorry, sport.
I guess everyone except the NCAA.

Except for now, right? I men they are what----#8 nationally? And last year, they did sweep UK---right? --WOn the SECT.....

So I guess that would exclude the "eternal" thingy?

And save your breath---I know----IU sucks, 1987, blah, blah and blah.....
The point im making is this, when's the last time UT beat UK, KU, UNC and won the SECT ? I think the answer is never. I haven't checked but im sure UK has done it multiple times, replacing UK with UT. UT broke the eternal thingy as of last year, after over a century into game. She can brag about last year team but she can't act like UT is the new UK for another 2 decades and then only if they match what UK has done. She aint knocking any one off any horses no matter how many horse videos yall put up, lol. She's a hater and you know it.

IU doesn't suck this this year but we're not gonna recrown IU a blueblood just because of this one year either. They would have to have a sustained stay at the top and make a FF or two alone the way. Your not on here talkin shit because IU is having one good year after 20 bad ones. She is, that why she declusionial

What a joke, you think Bill Self ever maximized the top recruits he did have like Andrew Wiggins, Josh Selby, Josh Jackson, Billy Preston, Quentin Grimes, Cheick Diallo, Cliff Alexander, etc.

Your list of top 20 HS recruit busts is impressive. Self is partly to blame for not putting those guys in the best position to succeed.

Self is one of the best coaches of all time but his expertise lies in getting transfers to buy in and managing experienced rosterd. He's been awful coaching elite freshmen so not sure why you think his results would be better if he had more of them.

Duke certainly hasn't underachieved in the OAD era, would be nice to have another FF or title but its a single elimination tournament. We've produced 7 Freshman All-Americans, won the ACC or ACCT 3 times, been to 4 Elite 8s 2 Final 4s and won a Natty in 7 year (no tourney in 2020).
Yeah, I don’t get the , “ Self develops”. How long has McCormack been there? 6 years.

LIke K got the max out of all that talent he had. duke had a top 2 ranked class ever since K started recruiting them. With all that talent I’ll say he underachieved overall. He had a gang of lottery picks over that time span and the only title you won was in 2015. Last years UNC team had no one good enough to get drafted but gave k his last 2 L’s. So duke fans like yourself can’t say to much on who wasted more talent, you guys are at the top or near it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExitFlagger
The point im making is this, when's the last time UT beat UK, KU, UNC and won the SECT ? I think the answer is never. I haven't checked but im sure UK has done it multiple times, replacing UK with UT. UT broke the eternal thingy as of last year, after over a century into game. She can brag about last year team but she can't act like UT is the new UK for another 2 decades and then only if they match what UK has done. She aint knocking any one off any horses no matter how many horse videos yall put up, lol. She's a hater and you know it.

IU doesn't suck this this year but we're not gonna recrown IU a blueblood just because of this one year either. They would have to have a sustained stay at the top and make a FF or two alone the way. Your not on here talkin shit because IU is having one good year after 20 bad ones. She is, that why she declusionial
UT beat all those teams and won the last SECT, so never is just this year following in from last. I have never claimed UT a blue blood as a matter of fact UT has avenged UK when KU mudholed them the Vols showed them that they can't beat our SEC blue blood senseless without paying a heavy price. You're welcome.

I am not a hater, but y'all are pretty arrogant and you really shouldn't be after the last 5 or so years of UK performance. Before you try to revoke IU's BB card you may want to make sure yours hasn't expired.

This has been one of the better reads in recent memory on here.

Matt Jones saying that wasn’t supposed to be a shot at any other school, UK is the best program all time, meaning we should strive to be the gold standard. Not necessarily are.

My honest answer is probably Carolina right now.

Awful coaching elite freshman? What a dumb comment.

Wiggins and Jackson had great seasons. Selby wasn't eligible to play until late in non-con play and then had an injury that kept him from being a huge part of the rotation. Preston never played. Alexander played half a season before being held out. Diallo just wasn't ready to contribute as a freshman. That class was weak all around. Remember Skal at Kentucky? #1 in the class and a total bust.

Rush, Wright, Chalmers, Arthur, Collins, the Morris twins, Xavier Henry, McLemore, Embiid, Wiggins, Selden, Oubre, Jackson, Azubuike, Dotson, and Dick were all very good as freshmen. And some of them weren't even that highly rated.

As for Duke, K and Scheyer have had their pick of the litter, man. Come on. It's been an embarrassment of riches. If you think a few of those teams were too young to win it all, whose fault is that? Mix in some more 3-4 year players for God's sake.

LIke K got the max out of all that talent he had. duke had a top 2 ranked class ever since K started recruiting them. With all that talent I’ll say he underachieved overall. He had a gang of lottery picks over that time span and the only title you won was in 2015. Last years UNC team had no one good enough to get drafted but gave k his last 2 L’s. So duke fans like yourself can’t say to much on who wasted more talent, you guys are at the top or near it.
A question was about KU, you deflected and brought up Duke.

Too funny.

Except the NCAA and they are the ones that count. Just ask the Afam u

She's a Tennessee fan Charmin. Also don't act like your dad doesn't have any skeletons in his closet because I bet there's alot.
Reading comprehension still not your strong suit dumbass. ImaJericho is an Afam u fan, right.

Except the NCAA and they are the ones that count. Just ask the Afam u

If you're going to hide behind governing bodies, then STFU about KU. There is no NCAA ruling, and a federal court ruled that KU was defrauded by Adidas. So feel free to never bring it up again. Oh and lick my balls while you're at it.

If you're going to hide behind governing bodies, then STFU about KU. There is no NCAA ruling, and a federal court ruled that KU was defrauded by Adidas. So feel free to never bring it up again. Oh and lick my balls while you're at it.
What was the kids name? Lester Earl? And there are plenty of other proven examples of KU’s cheating.

Do some research on your own program when looking up stuff about Duke.

And I love you telling me to STFU. Think that will work.

At least your lover AWill is now involved.

Makes it so much better.

ADVERTISEMENT