ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the gold standard of college basketball?

We're talking about consistency of performance right? KU was #1 by every single metric that year. By a good margin.

I mean, if all we care about is tourney titles, then UCLA is the unquestioned all-time gold standard. That said, no one has more titles than KU over the last several years either.

Consistency is good and I get it. Titles/FF's matter too but if you're doing 5 year sample size then maybe KU is the gold standard. Gold Standard and overall greatness means the same thing to me and I'm not one to pick a time frame to claim a certain type of greatness. Again titles matter and UNC has lost the same amount of title games KU has won. Now if you break it into tiers KU is definitely in the top tier but they aren't alone.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
And Self never lost to lower seed? That selective amnesia is a bitch.
Learn to read. I saw low seeds not losing to lower seeds. The lowest Seed Coach Self has been at KU is a 4 seed. Not only do you have NITS but 9 seed? jesus

Loo at the gimps loling at helms titles. all they are are regular season champions. The team with the best regular season through 30 games. Your 40's titles you uk fans celebrate were an 8 team tournament. Not impressive Either. I think being the most dominate regular season champ is more impressive than a 8 team tourney. For God sakes even with 64 team a sh!!t stain team like the god awful 2022 unc found a nut and won some games

Loo at the gimps loling at helms titles. all they are are regular season champions. The team with the best regular season through 30 games. Your 40's titles you uk fans celebrate were an 8 team tournament. Not impressive Either. I think being the most dominate regular season champ is more impressive than a 8 team tourney. For God sakes even with 64 team a sh!!t stain team like the god awful 2022 unc found a nut and won some games

Sounds like you're mad dude. You may wanna think before you make stupid statements.

All-time is Kentucky. For the modern era (1985 - present), it's Duke. Both schools have a significant gap on everyone else for those respective periods.

50-Greatest-Programs.png

50-Greatest-Modern-Programs.png

Reactions: JimboBBN
Consistency is good and I get it. Titles/FF's matter too but if you're doing 5 year sample size then maybe KU is the gold standard. Gold Standard and overall greatness means the same thing to me and I'm not one to pick a time frame to claim a certain type of greatness. Again titles matter and UNC has lost the same amount of title games KU has won. Now if you break it into tiers KU is definitely in the top tier but they aren't alone.

Yeah, I was just referring to the last 5 or so years. You could also make the case that KU is best-positioned for the future. UNC, Duke and Nova all just lost legendary coaches.

Not to get into the usual timeframing argument, but if we're talking about the current state of a program, obviously the present and recent past are most important. It'd be a little silly to call Kentucky the current gold standard when they haven't won a tourney game in years and their fans want to pay their coach an unprecedented buyout to disappear.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I do think it’s ironic that KU has had 3 of its best years with the NCAA cloud over recruiting. 2020 (not a championship but we’re the best team), 2022 won it all, 2023 look pretty darn good so far (outside of the Tennessee game) and likely a 1-2 seed.

So much for the “unwritten punishment” that was supposed to be.

Real question is if we only really get a slap on the wrist from the IARP does the college bball world forget it happened like they did the UNC class stuff? That’s never a conversation when discussing “gold standard” (nor should it be), so will this put an asterisk by KU forever?

Agreed. Just look at them this year. 6 game easy path run to the Final.

I do think it’s ironic that KU has had 3 of its best years with the NCAA cloud over recruiting. 2020 (not a championship but we’re the best team), 2022 won it all, 2023 look pretty darn good so far (outside of the Tennessee game) and likely a 1-2 seed.

Real question is if we only really get a slap on the wrist from the IARP does the college bball world forget it happened like they did the UNC class stuff? That’s never a conversation when discussing “gold standard” (nor should it be), so will this put an asterisk by KU forever?
Exactly when it has been proven you cheated for over 20 years you can’t be in the conversation.

The investigation definitely hurt KU. Punkasses like Drew have been negatively recruiting against Self for years and his classes haven’t been close to what he was landing before.

Even the ‘22 team was far from his most talented. He just did a damn good job with them. 2020 was a very good team, but relied heavily on two players. 2021 is when the recruiting struggles really caught up. They just didn’t have the horses that year.

You'd have to go back 20+ years before Duke has any sort of advantage on KU or UNC, and you just lost the coach that brought you 95% of your success.
Really, so the 2010 and 2015 NC’s don’t count. You really sound like a misinformed hater. See dukedevilz chart. How many wins did K have. FF’s. Beat KU in a NC game.

Really, so the 2010 and 2015 NC’s don’t count. You really sound like a misinformed hater. See dukedevilz chart. How many wins did K have. FF’s. Beat KU in a NC game.

Did somebody say they don't count? Reading comprehension is really a problem for you, isn't it?

Did somebody say they don't count? Reading comprehension is really a problem for you, isn't it?
Not at all. But facts seem to not count for you.
Modern era. 64 team tourney. Duke is the gold standard. Facts and data back it up.

Your hater opinion doesn’t mean shit.

So hit me with some facts. What recent advantage does Duke have vs KU, without having to go back to 2001?
Acc vs Big 12 and before the big 8. Almost as easy as John Wooden had to only win two games to get to a FF and never leave the west coast. Modern era best team. Duke.

So hit me with some facts. What recent advantage does Duke have vs KU, without having to go back to 2001?
You win one NC after a 14 year gap and are all full of yourself. 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡. You got lucky. Billy is a chronic underachiever.

If titles in the 40s were easier to win why didn't Kansas win one?

So you value a 16 team tournament so much more than an 8 team tournament? (1952)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think it's cute that you all are so focused on all this ancient history. I think we all know that last year is like...so last year. When it comes to the gold standard, there can be only one. And that one is....

TIC

• Haha
Reactions: Afamu and cdbearde
You win one NC after a 14 year gap and are all full of yourself. 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡. You got lucky. Billy is a chronic underachiever.

Full of myself because I don't think that Duke (who just lost the coach that achieved everything) isn't the gold standard right now? 🤣

Self has underachieved far less than Duke during his time at KU. In case you hadn't noticed, it's Duke that has a bunch of top 10 recruits every year. KU just won a title with zero 5 stars and only a few top 100 players in the rotation.

Duke is battling Kentucky for title of the biggest underachiever of the last decade.

Reactions: KUhawks34
Full of myself because I don't think that Duke (who just lost the coach that achieved everything) isn't the gold standard right now? 🤣

Self has underachieved far less than Duke during his time at KU. In case you hadn't noticed, it's Duke that has a bunch of top 10 recruits every year. KU just won a title with zero 5 stars and only a few top 100 players in the rotation.

Duke is battling Kentucky for title of the biggest underachiever of the last decade.
With 2 Nc’s. Really? Wow, that sure doesn’t say much for schools with 1 or zero titles does it.

And any person with logic knows recruiting class rankings mean absolutely nothing in relation to NC’s.

Matt Jones ls KSR radio said Kentucky was supposed to be

But look

Kansas is #1 in all time wins

#1 in all time conference championships

#1 all time in conference tournament championships

32 straight NCAA tournaments. Had Larry brown not broken an ncaa bylaw Kansas would have made the 89 tourney and would have had 38 straight ncaa tournaments. That will never be broken

Kansas has titles in 5 different decades.

IMO Kansas basketball is the gold standard.

Who in your opinion is the gold standard?
if you are talking cheating.. well Kwho is the gold standard then!

With 2 Nc’s. Really? Wow, that sure doesn’t say much for schools with 1 or zero titles does it.

And any person with logic knows recruiting class rankings mean absolutely nothing in relation to NC’s.

Duke has two titles in the last decade? Interesting. Btw, do you know what underachieve means?

Duke (Nike) has had its pick of the litter, and they've achieved less than a program that usually gets leftovers. Self turned a former Towson commit into NPOY. The next year he turned a former Appalachian St commit into a NPOY candidate. And this year's PG is a former Missouri St commit.

Ever hear those stories at Duke? Nah, you poor guys have to settle for 12 NBA players every year.

Duke has two titles in the last decade? Interesting. Btw, do you know what underachieve means?

Duke (Nike) has had its pick of the litter, and they've achieved less than a program that usually gets leftovers. Self turned a former Towson commit into NPOY. The next year he turned a former Appalachian St commit into a NPOY candidate. And this year's PG is a former Missouri St commit.

Ever hear those stories at Duke? Nah, you poor guys have to settle for 12 NBA players every year.
Turned them into huh? Sure he did. Ever hear of Jjj Redick. Shane Battier and many many others who spent 3-4 years at Duke and became great college and Nba players and tgen Nba Gm’s

All you have is Paul Pierce making an ass of himself on national tv.

How many NBA GM’s or coaches KU have in the last 20 years?

And once again, Self is recruiting the same kids. Duke just gets them. And I sure don’t like the one and done thing.

12 nba guys each year? Who. Must be a different Duke.

But puff that chest out with your lucky NC after 14 years.

12 nba guys each year? Who. Must be a different Duke.

But puff that chest out with your lucky NC after 14 years.

Lucky for winning games. Solid take.

Duke and KU have the same number of titles in that period, but Duke's had far more recruiting success and a lot more underachievement. Also, KU's best opportunity in a long time was stripped by Covid. Easily could have been #3. That team was much better than the team that just won it.

But puff out your chest for getting to the elite 8 with Zion, Barrett and five other NBA players. And the year before with Bagley, Allen and six more NBA players.

Last edited:
Turned them into huh? Sure he did. Ever hear of Jjj Redick. Shane Battier and many many others who spent 3-4 years at Duke and became great college and Nba players and tgen Nba Gm’s

All you have is Paul Pierce making an ass of himself on national tv.

How many NBA GM’s or coaches KU have in the last 20 years?

And once again, Self is recruiting the same kids. Duke just gets them. And I sure don’t like the one and done thing.

Giving Self no credit for turning nobodies into NPOY material, but crediting Duke for top recruits that become good NBA players. Can't make this stuff up. 🤣

And yes, Duke (Nike) gets a lot more talent. Hence the underachievement. Y'know, doing less with more?

Reactions: KUhawks34
Giving Self no credit for turning nobodies into NPOY material, but crediting Duke for top recruits that become good NBA players. Can't make this stuff up. 🤣

And yes, Duke (Nike) gets a lot more talent. Hence the underachievement. Y'know, doing less with more?
I think you should bring up the fact that Duke has thus dodged playing Tennessee and has effectively refused to be tested. KU and UK both at least showed up. Y'all have that going for you.

Reactions: cdbearde
I don't really think the top two is very debatable. It's UK and then UNC. KU being next is locked in for me but I get we can argue that if you want. Duke being next would be mine but such a heavy reliance on one coach is a big deal.

I would agree completely that KU and Self are best positioned going forward though.

Who knows why a Tennessee fan is even in this thread?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT