ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the gold standard of college basketball?

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
Matt Jones ls KSR radio said Kentucky was supposed to be

But look

Kansas is #1 in all time wins

#1 in all time conference championships

#1 all time in conference tournament championships

32 straight NCAA tournaments. Had Larry brown not broken an ncaa bylaw Kansas would have made the 89 tourney and would have had 38 straight ncaa tournaments. That will never be broken

Kansas has titles in 5 different decades.

IMO Kansas basketball is the gold standard.

Who in your opinion is the gold standard?

But look

32 straight NCAA tournaments. Had Larry brown not broken an ncaa bylaw Kansas would have made the 89 tourney and would have had 38 straight ncaa tournaments. That will never be broken

Someone we can't beat the living hell out of, so that rules y'all out.

I would rank the top three programs UK, UNC, and then KU.
Since Tennessee beat the hell out of each and everyone of the teams you mentioned I'd say no to that.
Y'all are all like a bunch of would be Arthurs trying to pull Excalibur out of the stone. You have all failed the test.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde

But look

KU has 5 titles?

But look

Me, I may be old, but bring it on.

flex-dude.gif

Lol Phog stop. We have 4 titles and are the most consistent program over the last 20 years no doubt. I have no problem claiming Helms titles as a separate entity. But that’s totally separate from the ones that matter to everyone else so we can stop counting them.

It’s UK>UNC>KU>Duke and then the rest. UCLA had a great 15 years and is nothing on either side of it.

Tennessee is clearly the best though after beating KU though this year on day 3/3 in the Bahamas week 3 of the season. Sarcasm aside they beat our butts and I hope we get another shot. May have been good for us because we have been playing lights out since.

Lol Phog stop. We have 4 titles and are the most consistent program over the last 20 years no doubt. I have no problem claiming Helms titles as a separate entity. But that’s totally separate from the ones that matter to everyone else so we can stop counting them.

It’s UK>UNC>KU>Duke and then the rest. UCLA had a great 15 years and is nothing on either side of it.

Tennessee is clearly the best though after beating KU though this year on day 3/3 in the Bahamas week 3 of the season. Sarcasm aside they beat our butts and I hope we get another shot. May have been good for us because we have been playing lights out since.

Nothing on either side for UCLA? Give me a break. They have a bunch of final fours in the modern era and a title in the 90s. Their all time win % is just outside the top 5.

Since Tennessee beat the hell out of each and everyone of the teams you mentioned I'd say no to that.
Y'all are all like a bunch of would be Arthurs trying to pull Excalibur out of the stone. You have all failed the test.

Actually, KU sits on the throne after yanking Excalibur out in April. Haven’t you been paying attention?

Reactions: KisteK
Actually, KU sits on the throne after yanking Excalibur out in April. Haven’t you been paying attention?
All I know is y'all broke y'all's wrist and probably need a hernia surgery after the Bahamas. The sword is still in the rock.

Nothing on either side for UCLA? Give me a break. They have a bunch of final fours in the modern era and a title in the 90s. Their all time win % is just outside the top 5.
Okay I was a bit harsh, but the consistency isn’t there for me to be #2 like it is on that spreadsheet shared in the thread. 5? Absolutely. Not saying they aren’t an all time program, just (without mentioning I guess) comparing to that list of 50 greatest programs.

Reactions: ExitFlagger

But look

No. it took you 14 years to win your last title, before that another 20, before that another 26. That's a Grand Canyon gap in between titles. UNC has won titles in 57, 82, 93, 05, 09 and 17. Lost title games in 77, 81, 16 and 22.

No. it took you 14 years to win your last title, before that another 20, before that another 26. That's a Grand Canyon gap in between titles. UNC has won titles in 57, 82, 93, 05, 09 and 17. Lost title games in 77, 81, 16 and 22.
Runner up doesn't count for anything for some reason. Rework mentioning FF's and resubmit.

And how many FF's have Tennessee played in? Like I said before FF's don't matter to the fans of teams that haven't been to any.
That is exactly what I'm basing that advice from. It is the only thing that matters to UK fans and that is basically your brags target. Don't slap the poster that is handing you ammo.

How many NIT's or low seeds? This is about Gold standard not the list of the most titles ever. Roy lost UNC a big all time wins lead. Not a gold standard

How many NIT's or low seeds? This is about Gold standard not the list of the most titles ever. Roy lost UNC a big all time wins lead. Not a gold standard

And the lack of titles is something that hurts your argument. Trying to slide in a helms title as a legit title isa desperate move. KU isn't the gold standard. It's UK followed by UNC.

All I know is y'all broke y'all's wrist and probably need a hernia surgery after the Bahamas. The sword is still in the rock.

It can be tough indeed to lift the sword on the third day of competition, and without your leader present.

But alas, we have greater goals. Early season achievements are only celebrated by those from the Southeastern conference. 😆

Last edited:
This really sucks for us, but Kentucky has recovered from down periods like this before. We will do it again.

The program as a whole, is unbelievably resilient....this is why we've had 5 different coaches win National Championships here, we've been champions since the 1940s - and not that Helms Title bullshit either. Most consistent winners, historically in college basketball history.

Sorry Kansas, not particularly impressed that you had to play 250 more basketball games than Kentucky in order to have a single-digit lead on us in the all-time wins category. If Kentucky played the same number of games we'd have a hundred game lead on you (fact).

This historically is a great time for ankle-biters like Tennessee who've never won a single championship in over 100 season of basketball to peacock around for a little while, before disappearing into the puddle of irrelevance from which they emerged.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

And the lack of titles is something that hurts your argument. Trying to slide in a helms title as a legit title isa desperate move. KU isn't the gold standard. It's UK followed by UNC.

KU isn't the all-time gold standard, but they probably are currently.

Title last season, #1 in 2020, #1 in 2019 before losing their best players, final four in '18, top 5 so far this year.

It can be tough indeed to lift the sword on the third day of competition, and without your leader present.

But alas, we have greater goals. Early season achievements are only celebrated by those from the Southeastern conference. 😆
If that is how you deal with the pain good as long as you're dealing with the pain. 😁

This really sucks for us, but Kentucky has recovered from down periods like this before. We will do it again.

The program as a whole, is unbelievably resilient....this is why we've had 5 different coaches win National Championships here, we've been champions since the 1940s - and not that Helms Title bullshit either. Most consistent winners, historically in college basketball history.

Sorry Kansas, not particularly impressed that you had to play 250 more basketball games than Kentucky in order to have a single-digit lead on us in the all-time wins category. If Kentucky played the same number of games we'd have a hundred game lead on you (fact).

This historically is a great time for ankle-biters like Tennessee who've never won a single championship in over 100 season of basketball to peacock around for a little while, before disappearing into the puddle of irrelevance from which they emerged.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Not terribly impressed that you had a huge lead in all-time wins a few decades ago and now trail. Better step up your modern era game. KU has you there and it's no contest. But what do games played in our lifetime count for, amirite?

If that is how you deal with the pain good as long as you're dealing with the pain. 😁

#1 per Torvik since that day. The pain is gone. Thanks for the wakeup call. It should prove useful later. :cool:

Enjoy it while it lasts.
edd43bb76e.jpg

Hope y'all are ready for your date with the ankle biters. We are just milling around, but we sharpened the blade real sharp so it will be a clean cut. 😁

#1 per Torvik since that day. The pain is gone. Thanks for the wakeup call. It should prove useful later. :cool:
You should be lighter on your feet after we took a pound of flesh, so you got that going for you. 😁

Reactions: ExitFlagger
KU isn't the all-time gold standard, but they probably are currently.

Title last season, #1 in 2020, #1 in 2019 before losing their best players, final four in '18, top 5 so far this year.

You're going to count 2020 when no tournament was played? Being ranked #1 that year doesn't matter, it only tells us if there was a tournament KU would of been the overall top seed. When was the last the time the overall top seed won the title?

You should be lighter on your feet after we took a pound of flesh, so you got that going for you. 😁

Sometimes a humbling affair can sharpen you, as you discovered when Colorado came to Nashville. 😁

You're going to count 2020 when no tournament was played? Being ranked #1 that year doesn't matter, it only tells us if there was a tournament KU would of been the overall top seed. When was the last the time the overall top seed won the title?

We're talking about consistency of performance right? KU was #1 by every single metric that year. By a good margin.

I mean, if all we care about is tourney titles, then UCLA is the unquestioned all-time gold standard. That said, no one has more titles than KU over the last several years either.

ADVERTISEMENT