ADVERTISEMENT

Which Rivalry Is the Most Contentious Between Fans?

So does KU?MU not get any love because MU left the conference? I have been to many of these contests and there is absolutely no love for each other. Had MU fans cuss at my kids.....seen KU fans going at MU fans.....Seen batteries thrown, tires slashed.....These two schools absolutely despise one another. I would root for the plague before I rooted for MU. Hell I'd probably root for hitler before i rooted for MU (actually no probably).

and of course...if you bring up Hitler and MU...obligatory

Having people hate you means they are out to destroy your program.
That other stuff sounds like a bunch of hooligans who follow crowds.

When you have someone hate you it is 365 days of the year and they spend their time on social media and message boards attacking your team and trying to destroy your school.

Having hated rivals is not something that you would wish on your own worse enemy.
Anytime you are down they pounce on you and if you have multiple ones it makes it even worse

Right, I sort of agree. There is plenty of hate but that is why I put Auburn and Alabama as most contentious and UNC and Duke as the best. UK and Louisville is a really good mix of both to me.
I can see that way Coryfly.

The UK versus Louisville matchup in basketball was politically forced on Kentucky by Denny Crum and Louisville. The UNC versus Duke and the Alabama versus Auburn are long standing conference matchups. The Kentucky fans and coaching staff really took umbrage when Kentucky was forced to add Louisville to the schedule.

UK fans pulled for UL against Duke on this board the last year and/or the year before. Talking shit on a message board doesn't equal biggest rivalry, obviously. I've never rooted for UNC to win a game but I'm cordial to most of them as long as they aren't douchebags. Having a shittier class of fans doesn't make your rivalry great.
I always root for UL against Duke. I went to night school at Louisville and I really don't hate them at all.

I don't know of any person on earth that I dislike because of where they went to school or which school they root for; however, I usually enjoy watching Duke get beat. I suppose that if you lined up the schools that I enjoy watching get beat would be Duke, Notre Dame, Florida, UCLA and Georgetown. The severity of how bad I want them to be beaten depends on the year.

I always root for UL against Duke. I went to night school at Louisville and I really don't hate them at all.

I don't know of any person on earth that I dislike because of where they went to school or which school they root for; however, I usually enjoy watching Duke get beat. I suppose that if you lined up the schools that I enjoy watching get beat would be Duke, Notre Dame, Florida, UCLA and Georgetown. The severity of how bad I want them to be beaten depends on the year.
Well said, I've just been busting balls in this thread, but hopefully some know I like them despite their flaws of rooting for other teams.

If I didn't like them, they'd never know. I'd just ignore them.

Georgetown? That's random, Bert. Laughing

Auburn/Alabama and I don't think it is all that close tbh.
Definately the case if there an inverse relationship between education and intensity of rivalry.

Plus everyone in that state is related and intimately involved with each other, so it's truly a civil war.

The only people that root for UK and UL are people who don’t really care about sports and just don’t want to go one way or the other. The only teams I would hope for Louisville to win is against Indiana, Tennessee, or the gay Carolina schools

You are living in five years ago. Just a month or so ago I asked on the Duke forum who you pull for, UK or UNC, and roughly 90 percent of Duke fans said they favor UK. (A bunch of zero post UNC trolls also voted, which made the final tally 80% UNC, but they don’t count.)

Outsiders REALLY don’t get how the UNC scandal has fundamentally changed the rivalry for Duke fans. It USED to be a bit more civil, two sides of the same coin sort of thing. It isn’t that anymore.
I read through that thread and was a bit surprised by the results.
It doesn't seem like Duke fans really care all that much about the UNC scandal. At least not on here or on your home board.
Is it pretty heated at times in the triangle area? (I think that's what they call that area, it's been a while since I was out that way).

U6 is the only team that has made it possible for a dookie win not to bother me in the least.... of course, that's when they're playing U6.

Of course the Duke-UNC Rivalry doesn't seem that contentious if you're not invested in it - or if you live in Kentucky. The reality is, the contention is going to be very minimal once you're outside of the state(s) of the two rival schools. Growing up in North Carolina, it seemed to me that there was always MUCH more chatter for the Duke-Carolina game than the Super Bowl. The Duke-UNC game was typically the week after the SB, so it wasn't too difficult to compare. My own experience tells me that nothing rivals the Duke-UNC hatred.

Other rivalries? Certainly Louisville and Kentucky is up there. I'd also put Indiana and Purdue in that category. One rivalry that doesn't get the same type of notoriety, but which is still very noteworthy, is the Cincinnati-Xavier rivalry. Those fanbases appear to genuinely hate each other.

Against UL.

CCGIe8UWAAAentK.jpg

Against Duke.

9231843e69f0b06c5c3805cadbd72cc8_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I would root for Duke and North Carolina like they were my own if they played Louisville. I think where you lived/grew up certainly plays a part in how you feel about other programs. That being said, I'd say UK and Louisville fans argue most on this board. In real life, probably Alabama and Auburn fans.

If we're strictly talking about fams hating each other then I definitely think IU v UK is up there. Unfortunately, with Indiana slipping so much, it's taken away some of the prestige, but the hatred is still there. Especially after the last game they played up in Bloomington and storming the court.

Also, IU vs Purdue has to be up there also. Hell, Purdue still chants negative things about IU at EVERY sporting event....even when they aren't playing IU.

Xavier/Cincinnati has got to get some votes. Sometimes during fights, basketball games'll breakout.

Edit:I just noticed the video above. That's the game I was thinking of. Mark Lyons was a tough dude, one of my favorite non UNC players.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If we're strictly talking about fams hating each other then I definitely think IU v UK is up there. Unfortunately, with Indiana slipping so much, it's taken away some of the prestige, but the hatred is still there. Especially after the last game they played up in Bloomington and storming the court.

Also, IU vs Purdue has to be up there also. Hell, Purdue still chants negative things about IU at EVERY sporting event....even when they aren't playing IU.
Yeah IU ****ed it up by acting stupid, Calipari ask BBN which home and home to drop. When Cal took over we had three home and homes. UNC,IU, and UL.

Roy asked to drop the home series prior to CBS Classic, UK fans voted IU prior to floor storming, we're left with ACC version of UL.

Indiana Kentucky is certainly underrated as far as hatred. Like I said they are locked in with Tennessee at the top of my list.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Huh? Not sure what I should have been offended about in your post lol. You pretty much summed up why in a Kentucky fans eyes we don't play anymore. As a IU fan, I supported IU's stance on it about keeping the games on campus. I have never been a fan of when the games were in indy and Louisville. I don't think you can beat the atmosphere of a UK vs IU game in Assembly Hall, or Rupp.

Since I live right across from Louisville I've always hated Kentucky above every other team in the world. If the KKK started a basketball team and they were playing Kentucky.....I'm going to be pulling for the "hooded crusaders " . So, that was always the game I looked forward to every season.

One other thing, you are correct about him asking fans which series they should drop, and they did pick the IU one. However, I don't think for a second cal, or the school would have ever dropped it if IU would have been okay with the neutral courts. If that was the case they wouldn't have spent so much time trying too make it happen.

Yeah IU ****ed it up by acting stupid, Calipari ask BBN which home and home to drop. When Cal took over we had three home and homes. UNC,IU, and UL.

Roy asked to drop the home series prior to CBS Classic, UK fans voted IU prior to floor storming, we're left with ACC version of UL.
False. Nobody asked the UNC- UK series to be dropped. It just wasn’t renewed because of the CBS classic.

Is the hate for Tennessee only because you need someone to hate in your conference? I get that some call it a rivalry but I feel like in conference they’re your #1 while you’re their #4 or something. Hard to call it a big rivalry when the two schools are polar opposites historically in the 2 big sports. Similar to Nebraska-Kansas. Local people always used to hype those games but the football score would be 56-10 and the basketball score would be 92-66. 9 times out of 10 in any of those games you knew who was winning.

One other thing, you are correct about him asking fans which series they should drop, and they did pick the IU one. However, I don't think for a second cal, or the school would have ever dropped it if IU would have been okay with the neutral courts. If that was the case they wouldn't have spent so much time trying too make it happen.

IU needed the UK game and the administration screwed it up. UK can play any team just about that they want to play and UK is sure not going to let the other school dictate take it or leave it terms.

I am glad the series is over.

Is the hate for Tennessee only because you need someone to hate in your conference? I get that some call it a rivalry but I feel like in conference they’re your #1 while you’re their #4 or something. Hard to call it a big rivalry when the two schools are polar opposites historically in the 2 big sports. Similar to Nebraska-Kansas. Local people always used to hype those games but the football score would be 56-10 and the basketball score would be 92-66. 9 times out of 10 in any of those games you knew who was winning.
Tennessee and Vandy are Kentucky oldest rivalries just based on history and number of games that they have played. They have always been in the same conferences. Tennessee also has been competitive often in basketball.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Very true. UNC never wanted the series to be dropped but I bet he doesn’t know Pitino cancelled the series when he got there.
UNC did ask for the series to be put on hold for 2 years after the contract ended. That was at the beginning of the CBS Classic. UNC sent UK contracts to renew the home & Home starting in 2017-18 year, not sure why they were never signed by UK.

UNC did ask for the series to be put on hold for 2 years after the contract ended. That was at the beginning of the CBS Classic. UNC sent UK contracts to renew the home & Home starting in 2017-18 year, not sure why they were never signed by UK.

BIG difference from canceling the series,as you said, and putting it on hold for two years because of the CBS classic.
Any response to UK not renewing the series when UNC sent them contracts?

BIG difference from canceling the series,as you said, and putting it on hold for two years because of the CBS classic.
Any response to UK not renewing the series when UNC sent them contracts?

I can't find any information on it. I checked the Champions Classic 2019 as well but we're playing MSU. Its been too good of series to be dropped. I know there's talk to bring IU back on the schedule. So I think there may be some logistics to resolve.

I can't imagine UNC sending a contract and going unsigned. I would think UK would have already agreed to it before the contract was sent. But then again it may be date conflicts etc. that need to be ironed out.

IU needed the UK game and the administration screwed it up. UK can play any team just about that they want to play and UK is sure not going to let the other school dictate take it or leave it terms.

I am glad the series is over.

Are you insinuating that IU can't also get another high profile game? Both Kansas and UL said they'd like to get a home and home with IU once ky series was dropped. Unfortunately, Crean was too much of a pussy to schedule Kansas and only scheduled UL because of the internal pressure to schedule UL.

I do agree with you though about being glad the game is done being played! I do miss having the game that Saturday in December every year. But that's because Crean replaced UK with sub 300 ranked teams. Fortunately, its looking like Miller is serious about increasing the challenges on the schedule and that's no longer an issue.

But, if you're thinking that IU needed the series so much more than UK....you're being delusional! I'm not going to act like the product IU has been putting on the court has been equal to UK, but the IU brand still carries a big stick. And to say anything else is being extremely delusional!

It's not a big deal. In post game interview with Tom Leach, Calipari said Roy called and talked about canceling the series with Kentucky. It's not a bad thing or a big deal, but that's what happened.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT