ADVERTISEMENT

Which Rivalry Is the Most Contentious Between Fans?

KYtotheCore

Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
For UNC/Duke to be - according to ESPN - CBBs biggest rivalry, I don't see a lot of heated discussion between UNC/Duke fans, but there is plenty between UK/UofL. Which of any of CBBs rivalries would get your vote?

I'm going with UK/UofL as no respect/disdain among fans.

For UNC/Duke to be - according to ESPN - CBBs biggest rivalry, I don't see a lot of heated discussion between UNC/Duke fans, but there is plenty between UK/UofL. Which of any of CBBs rivalries would get your vote?

I'm going with UK/UofL as no respect/disdain among fans.
The most nasty is UK versus UL. The most gentlemanly is UNC versus Duke.

The big difference is that Duke only became a basketball power in 1991. UNC never really cared until then. :confused:

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Living in Ky, I know plenty of UK fans that root for UL.
The rivalry got more heated when Pitino took over at UK.

I would say there is more contention when the fans of both teams are not educated or intelligent. This fits in with your UK-UL suggestion.

dwts-judges_3201.jpg

It used to be KU/MU but since MU left the Big 12 that all ended. I don't see KU plying MU during the regular season as long a Bill Self is the coach-and I side with the coach.

Reactions: toonces11
I would say there is more contention when the fans of both teams are not educated or intelligent. This fits in with your UK-UL suggestion.

Yeah UNC-Duke never gets contentious in any corner of the sports world. :cool:

The most nasty is UK versus UL. The most gentlemanly is UNC versus Duke.

The big difference is that Duke only became a basketball power in 1991. UNC never really cared until then. :confused:

It was a heated rivalry before then. UNC/Duke is always on prime time, everyone watches and that includes the ones that say they're not going to watch.

Reactions: tw3301
It was a heated rivalry before then. UNC/Duke is always on prime time, everyone watches and that includes the ones that say they're not going to watch.
Depends how you look at it. UNC-Duke play up to 3 or 4 times a year. Some might say that amplifies the rivalry, some might say it waters it down. If you only get 1 (2 max) shot at your rival every year I think there's more fanfare that comes with that.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Depends how you look at it. UNC-Duke play up to 3 or 4 times a year. Some might say that amplifies the rivalry, some might say it waters it down. If you only get 1 (2 max) shot at your rival every year I think there's more fanfare that comes with that.

I disagree and they hype is real. The more these 2 teams play the better and again it's always primetime. And the ones that may say it's watered down is crazy. 2 schools separated by 8 miles that are blue bloods, in the same conference, it doesn't and won't get any better than this.

Reactions: tw3301
I disagree and they hype is real. The more these 2 teams play the better and again it's always primetime. And the ones that may say it's watered down is crazy. 2 schools separated by 8 miles that are blue bloods, in the same conference, it doesn't and won't get any better than this.
Like I said, it's a matter of opinion.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I will say I see the highlights on SC, and it is an awesome rivalry. They just play so many times it's hard to have enough time to see them play 2, 3 x/season.

Proximity and playing each other often doesn't make a great rivalry IMO.

True hatred for the other team makes a great rivalry.

IU and Purdue is up there with Duke UNC. The latter actually root for one another in other games.

They don’t root for the other one. Like I said, the most contentious is Auburn and ‘Bama. The best is UNC and Duke. I love UK and Louisville as well though.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
They don’t root for the other one. Like I said, the most contentious is Auburn and ‘Bama. The best is UNC and Duke. I love UK and Louisville as well though.
Haha. UK brings some UNC and Duke fans together. Posters on this board had admitted to such.

Reactions: mebeblue2
I will say I see the highlights on SC, and it is an awesome rivalry. They just play so many times it's hard to have enough time to see them play 2, 3 x/season.

And it looks I was referring to you when people say they don't watch. It's all good and the last time or when has UK/UL played on prime time?

Haha. UK brings some UNC and Duke fans together. Posters on this board had admitted to such.

It's the truth but you UK guys hate being second in anything but you are when it comes to this. You can play UNC/Duke the same time UK/UL play and I bet what game is gonna get more viewers, take away the states of NC and KY.

And it looks I was referring to you when people say they don't watch. It's all good and the last time or when has UK/UL played on prime time?
It's the truth but you UK guys hate being second in anything but you are when it comes to this. You can play UNC/Duke the same time UK/UL play and I bet what game is gonna get more viewers, take away the states of NC and KY.
When does other fans decide on other teams rivalries?

TV ratings, time slots sounds like a UNC/Duke fan way of justifying a sports rivalry.

I mean, there are some UK and UL fans who pull for the other UNC and/or Duke as well. Outliers aren't what we are discussing though. In general, fans of all of those schools are not pulling for their rival ever.

The rivalry becomes more and more irrelevant each year, but Cuse-G'town was born out of pure hatred. There's nothing sportsmanlike about it. The fans hate each other on a personal level.
I wonder what JTII thinks about G'town having a whitey on the roster. I bet he's pissed.

Reactions: brooky03
Case in point, I'll bet that @Kevin Bryan wants to permaban every U of L poster here, allthewhile thinking "what a bunch of short-sniffing, mother-loving, pedo, wannabe, pitbull pumpin' saks o' shit!" - probably. I'm just assuming.

But that's just Kev. Gotta love him . . . warts and all.

Reactions: AWilli6995
When does other fans decide on other teams rivalries?

TV ratings, time slots sounds like a UNC/Duke fan way of justifying a sports rivalry.

TV ratings is a part of it but when these 2 teams play something is on the line in terms of conference seeding, national ranking etc.. Also this is a message board and that's funny coming from a UK fan, you guys try to tell UNC fans on how they should decorate their house when honoring a Helms title, kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

I mean, there are some UK and UL fans who pull for the other UNC and/or Duke as well. Outliers aren't what we are discussing though. In general, fans of all of those schools are not pulling for their rival ever.
Just posting my opinion on what I see. Gentleman rivalry is the gayest rivalry.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
TV ratings is a part of it but when these 2 teams play something is on the line in terms of conference seeding, national ranking etc.. Also this is a message board and that's funny coming from a UK fan, you guys try to tell UNC fans on how they should decorate their house when honoring a Helms title, kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

Agree. It should be Duke fans. UK vs UNC/Duke > than UNC vs Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT