ADVERTISEMENT

Which program has been the best since 1999-2000

JayhawkWriter

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2016
Crunched some data and this is what I got
(Note final four does not include year school finished runner up or national champion. Those are tabulated in their own Column).

Duke:

Record: 677-162
National champions: 3
Runner up: 0
Final four: 2
Elite Eight: 2
Sweet 16: 8
Round of 32: 2
Round of 64: 3
Missed tourney: 1

North Carolina:

Record: 604-239
National champions: 3
Runner up: 2
Elite eight: 3
Sweet 16: 2
Round of 32: 6
Round of 64: 1
Missed tourney: 3

Kansas:

Record: 689-158
National champions: 2
Runner up: 2
Elite eight: 5
Sweet 16: 3
Round of 32: 6
Round of 64: 2
Missed tourney: 0

Kentucky:

Record: 621-207
National champions: 1
Runner up: 1
Elite eight: 5
Sweet 16: 3
Round of 32: 5
Round of 64: 2
Missed tourney: 3

Based on my criteria I’d probably give the slight edge to Duke. North Carolina has been to more final fours (7-5), but Duke has more wins overall and just as many championships.

The 3rd championship puts Duke and North Carolina over Kansas even though they have the most wins and haven’t missed the tourney (also more final fours than Duke). The missed/blocked 3’s at the end of the game against Syracuse are the difference between Kansas being first and Kansas being 3rd.

Was actually shocked to see Kentucky with only 4 final fours. Seemed like they were always going deep in the 2010’s. Those tubbs/billy Clyde years set Kentucky back.

Feel free to add your school to the discussion.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What happens if you go back 4 more years
Four more years adds 2 Nmc and a runner up to Kentucky. Which would put them even with Duke as duke would get a runner up as well. Duke probably still gets the edge as they won more games (even though Kentucky has 7 final fours to their 6).

Four more years adds 2 Nmc and a runner up to Kentucky. Which would put them even with Duke as duke would get a runner up as well. Duke probably still gets the edge as they won more games (even though Kentucky has 7 final fours to their 6).
It's funny how much of a difference a couple of years could make.

Stats are stats no matter how you slice them. Give it 10 more years and it's different. 25...50...etc.

How many wins does KU have since UK started playing basketball? I think that's why most just like to take things as a whole instead of picking and choosing. It's fun for conversational purposes.

It's funny how much of a difference a couple of years could make.

Stats are stats no matter how you slice them. Give it 10 more years and it's different. 25...50...etc.

How many wins does KU have since UK started playing basketball? I think that's why most just like to take things as a whole instead of picking and choosing. It's fun for conversational purposes.
I only choose 1999-2000 as it was start of the 2000’s. Picking that year didn’t help Kansas at all as we went out in the round of 32 that year. Most people cherry pick a year to help their team look better. I just wanted a round number.

I only choose 1999-2000 as it was start of the 2000’s. Picking that year didn’t help Kansas at all as we went out in the round of 32 that year. Most people cherry pick a year to help their team look better. I just wanted a round number.
I understand. I wasn't trying to come off as cross. Again, stats are stats.

I understand. I wasn't trying to come off as cross. Again, stats are stats.
What’s also crazy is how many times each of the four schools has ended the other schools year. Kansas and duke have met 3 times since 2000 (ku 2-1), Kansas and Kentucky are 1-1 and Kansas is 4-0 against North Carolina. 9 of the 22 years ku has met the other three. I’m sure it’s just as high for the others. (Add Villanova and Illinois and the number jumps to 16).

Last edited:
Based on those numbers alone, I’d give the slight edge to Kansas.

KU’s been the most consistent, but I’d give the edge to Duke or UNC. If KU wins another title before either of them, they’ll definitely be at the top.
KU's consistency does make them stand out. Like a slow and steady turtle...or bird who doesn't fly. Does Jayhawks fly?

Reactions: GE Nole
The 'Jayhawk' is a myth. It has no historical use. It is neither beast, fish nor fowl,” he wrote. The name is a combination of two real birds: the blue jay, a noisy bird known to rob nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter.
Kind of like a snipe.....wait, this just in....a snipe is a real bird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT