ADVERTISEMENT

"When Did the World Get So Sensitive?"

The Internet man, before then you had to actually be tough in your surroundings.

So much for "Sticks and Stone will break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

tenor.gif

Reactions: SNU0821
Man, some of those had me rolling......and its also sad b/c 85% of those happen on a daily basis.

Uhhh... no, they dont ;)
You're right---nobody turns comments on articles into political arguments on a daily basis

Nobody exaggerates on youtube about how they were wronged on a daily basis.

Nobody complains about cultural appropriation on a daily basis

Nobody inserts sexual preference.....you know what, with as much time as you are on the internet and you don't see it on the regular---i don't know what you are looking at.

Its laughable how soft and attention seeking todays climate is.

You're right---nobody turns comments on articles into political arguments on a daily basis

Nobody exaggerates on youtube about how they were wronged on a daily basis.

Nobody complains about cultural appropriation on a daily basis

Nobody inserts sexual preference.....you know what, with as much time as you are on the internet and you don't see it on the regular---i don't know what you are looking at.

Its laughable how soft and attention seeking todays climate is.

No, I don’t see empty ice cream things for vegans, people complaining about Stan Lee being in black panther, people getting angry about mistletoe at company parties, seen some random picture with added compute generated hair getting upset every thirty seconds, seen someone scream about getting scammed when a cashier makes a small mistake and quickly fixes it, someone feeling they have to be angry all the time, people not caring about the sexual orientation of movie characters, Gandalf making sure nobody discuses stuff on the Internet, people complaining about the phrase “our men and women”, an 80s band in a gender neutral bathroom (I’ve never seen one of those at all), people banning phrase “best friends,” people getting upset at not using a Japanese person to show a Japanese skill, people wondering why nobody asks if their kid is a person, people not caring about water bottles, a guy named Guy being upset that he has to change his name, Al Bundy calling a chick fat, a person insisting that they want grass fed chicken, or all the rest of those happen every day. Haven’t even seen 85 percent of those happen every day. In fact, I’d say I’ve personally never seen the vast majority of those things happen. Maybe you can find one random internet article about something connected to them that happened once, somewhere?

Soooo... yeah. I think you just like to imagine those things happening all the time, because in some strange way it makes you feel better.

But carry on with your dramatic and oversensitive overselling of them... fun! :)

No, I don’t see empty ice cream things for vegans, people complaining about Stan Lee being in black panther, people getting angry about mistletoe at company parties, seen some random picture with added compute generated hair getting upset every thirty seconds, seen someone scream about getting scammed when a cashier makes a small mistake and quickly fixes it, someone feeling they have to be angry all the time, people not caring about the sexual orientation of movie characters, Gandalf making sure nobody discuses stuff on the Internet, people complaining about the phrase “our men and women”, an 80s band in a gender neutral bathroom (I’ve never seen one of those at all), people banning phrase “best friends,” people getting upset at not using a Japanese person to show a Japanese skill, people wondering why nobody asks if their kid is a person, people not caring about water bottles, a guy named Guy being upset that he has to change his name, Al Bundy calling a chick fat, a person insisting that they want grass fed chicken, or all the rest of those happen every day. Haven’t even seen 85 percent of those happen every day. In fact, I’d say I’ve personally never seen the vast majority of those things happen. Maybe you can find one random internet article about something connected to them that happened once, somewhere?

Soooo... yeah. I think you just like to imagine those things happening all the time, because in some strange way it makes you feel better.

But carry on with your dramatic and oversensitive overselling of them... fun! :)
I hope you aced mavis beacon b/c you typed every word of every meme on there. Impressive. You should get on social media---it'll clear this all up. But then again, you might not want to surround yourself with a large contingent of losers who hate life. If you'll excuse me, I have to go defend Zac Efrons right to sport his dreads and Idaris's right to play james bond----b/c i believe in these very important causes.

I hope you aced mavis beacon b/c you typed every word of every meme on there. Impressive. You should get on social media---it'll clear this all up. But then again, you might not want to surround yourself with a large contingent of losers who hate life. If you'll excuse me, I have to go defend Zac Efrons right to sport his dreads and Idaris's right to play james bond----b/c i believe in these very important causes.

Sorry, I don’t get that reference. I just had my phone next to me, and wanted to point out that, while some of those are funny and all, trying to pretend they all happen all the time, and getting huffy about it, is just very dramatic.

I don’t spent any time on social media. Looking for Zion Williamson dunks is about as deep into it as I go.

The Efron thing feels dumb. Trying to say that Idris Elba can’t play a fictional white character feels dumb too.

None of those happen every day in my life. They almost never happen.

I suggest less time on social media looking to get outraged.

Sorry, I don’t get that reference. I just had my phone next to me, and wanted to point out that, while some of those are funny and all, trying to pretend they all happen all the time, and getting huffy about it, is just very dramatic.

I don’t spent any time on social media. Looking for Zion Williamson dunks is about as deep into it as I go.

The Efron thing feels dumb. Trying to say that Idris Elba can’t play a fictional white character feels dumb too.

None of those happen every day in my life. They almost never happen.

I suggest less time on social media looking to get outraged.
It isn't outrage...its general disdain and disgust for what peoples priorities are today. Its good to stay off of social media b/c its a cesspool of america's worst voters.

Isn't this the point of teaching?

Over the years, I've come to harbor resentment to the teachers that taught me their opinions.
The snobbery in academia is one of the most intolerable things on the planet. The superiority complex is jaw dropping. Then you find out what slobs most of these people are in real life.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The snobbery in academia is one of the most intolerable things on the planet. The superiority complex is jaw dropping. Then you find out what slobs most of these people are in real life.
I'm just glad I had strong parents. ....and parents that didn't make a big deal by protesting and such, instead, just corrected the mistakes my teacher(s) made.

Isn't this the point of teaching?

Over the years, I've come to harbor resentment to the teachers that taught me their opinions.

I don't teach my opinions. I provide empirical evidence based on peer reviewed research and then let them decide for themselves. All I ask of my students is to have an open mind and be willing to change their opinions if the evidence is persuasive enough for them

I don't teach my opinions. I provide empirical evidence based on peer reviewed research and then let them decide for themselves. All I ask of my students is to have an open mind and be willing to change their opinions if the evidence is persuasive enough for them
Have you ever had students try and debate/argue with you over what you’re teaching?

long story short....if you have patched elbows on a blazer.....your quality of life is usually like the bottom of a bucket of dicks

Wow. It’s awesome how you don’t make giant dumb generalizations or anything?:)

You do realize that there are a number of teachers here, and a college professor posting in this thread, right? Are you trying to take shots?:)

You know what’s funny? I’ve found that the vast, vast majority of teachers I know (and being a teacher, I know hundreds more than an average person) do exactly that... but there is still this strange sort of person who insists schools are just some horrible cult of indoctrination into some wacko liberal world. It’s very odd, to me. I mean, I know there are outliers who don’t, but they are pretty out there outliers in my experience.

I taught an evolutionary psychology class last semester in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. What do you think?

Those are the best moments.

And I love presenting things in a way people haven’t thought of, that is outside of their normal way of looking at things, and giving them information they didn’t have before that makes a difference. The moments you have where a student connects the dots on their own after being given information and a chance to digest it and work with it... it’s cool.

(Although way different with my level of student compared to yours;) )

Reactions: jhmossy
Wow. It’s awesome how you don’t make giant dumb generalizations or anything?:)

You do realize that there are a number of teachers here, and a college professor posting in this thread, right? Are you trying to take shots?:)
You've got thinner skin than the donald man. Its a joke about patched elbowed blazers----I must have touched a nerve b/c all the other teachers in here weren't front holes about it. This is a message board---not a school inservice.

I gotta know----do you have a padded elbow blazer? Don't you lie b/c i will make jimbo go thru your pictures

What is "evolutionary psychology"?

That is how damned old I apparently am.
39913577_2143434732394508_378107424428523520_n.jpg

It is dedicated to identifying which psychological traits are functional to survival and/or reproduction. We examine the problems that our ancestors had to face (food acquisition/selection, mating, kinship, parenting, warfare, etc) and examine how our modern psychological traits would have helped solved those problems in the ancestral past and how they might be useful today.

ADVERTISEMENT