ADVERTISEMENT

? for fans of schools other than Kentucky

We agree on Gillispie, so there is that. when UK does move on they will attempt to hire a great coach, but there is no guarantee of that happening and the cupboard will probably be bare because of what you just said about Cal's recruiting style.
Yeah, but with the transfer portal, it's not the problem it used to be.

Look at Kansas State last year, coach Dingle had to get an entire team over the summer, he hit the transfer portal and damn near got to a FF.

Pre season rankings are opinions.

Kansas certainly isn’t the best team and does anyone truly believe Purdue is actually a top 5 team after making minor changes? The book is out on them.

Truth us, nobody is currently ranked where they should be. Did anyone have UConn at #1 last year? Anyone have FIU at #3? No way.
Everything is an opinion until the final game. Kansas will probably be different from the first of the year till the end. I would imagine that y'all will improve over the season too.

Yeah, but with the transfer portal, it's not the problem it used to be.

Look at Kansas State last year, coach Dingle had to get an entire team over the summer, he hit the transfer portal and damn near got to a FF.
The transfer portal giveth and taketh away Jeff. It is a dbl edged sword.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Everything is an opinion until the final game. Kansas will probably be different from the first of the year till the end. I would imagine that y'all will improve over the season too.
Yeah, but how much damage will you do to your record before you eventually figure it out? That is the question.

I am 100% not a fan of Calipari and his turnstyle rosters, but I see a world in which this particular team is a true FF threat.

It has three 7 footers and a large core of elite guards and wings. It's all up to Calipari to utilize the talent he has.

He failed with the veteran teams he had the last 2 years, but this is a different team, no lumbering oaf in the middle.

We'll see.

The transfer portal giveth and taketh away Jeff. It is a dbl edged sword.
No doubt. Cal nabbed Oscar and Tre Mitchell out of the portal and those are two damn good players, so it can be done.

I think UK is still a big enough name in the sport to make a difference with portal guys. Every game is on prime time and most if the guys in the NBA are from UK, so there is advantages.

Yeah, but how much damage will you do to your record before you eventually figure it out? That is the question.

I am 100% not a fan of Calipari and his turnstyle rosters, but I see a world in which this particular team is a true FF threat.

It has three 7 footers and a large core of elite guards and wings. It's all up to Calipari to utilize the talent he has.

He failed with the veteran teams he had the last 2 years, but this is a different team, no lumbering oaf in the middle.

We'll see.
I know y'all think I hate Cal and I give y'all hell about Barnes/Cal, but I actually think he is a very good coach an I have said so many times.

We got Kennedy Chandler the #1 pg and he was oozing with talent, but needed fine tuning. I think I would have preferred to have someone a notch below him that would have stayed 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I know y'all think I hate Cal and I give y'all hell about Barnes/Cal, but I actually think he is a very good coach an I have said so many times.

We got Kennedy Chandler the #1 pg and he was oozing with talent, but needed fine tuning. I think I would have preferred to have someone a notch below him that would have stayed 3 or 4 years.
100% agree. Give me developed juniors and seniors over 95% of the top ranked freshmen out there. There really aren't that many freshmen that can come in and perform at this level and sustain it. There are a few, but nowhere near enough to build a team with every year.

The thing that gives me pause though, is Cal has had sooo many dudes that were great as freshmen (Wall, Cousins, Knight, Randle, AD, MKG, Bam, Monk, Fox etc… ), but most of those guys came through prior to the game becoming more physical. We shall see how this new group fares.

Eh, Cal has never been a good coach. Talent has disguised what he really is.

He's a great motivator, a great salesman and his training works, but he is a terrible bench coach and his offense is straight out of the 80's. I'm definitely ready for him to move on.

200w.gif

Don't be a chicken shit. Get on the floor and dance.

I’ll always be a UK fan. That doesn’t necessarily mean they have my best interest at heart though. It can be an unrequited infatuation.
I was hoping for a little more fire that that.

I appreciate kentucky fans more than anything else. Some are obnoxious or arrogant, but most schools are similar with success. Few schools can make an event by being there alone and kentucky can as well as anyone. They’ve also kept the SEC relevant through many bad years.

That said, I think the evolution of the sport has caught up to them, along with other top programs. With the combination of the portal and kids playing for only a year, the days of top schools hoarding all the talent is gone. Not that they won’t always be top tier, but I think there’s an adjustment going forward to what that means.

2020 Kentucky was #29 on Kenpom and the next-highest SEC team was 33. But they were awesome because they won the SEC by three games. And lest we forget that KU lost to Bucknell in 2005. That’s very relevant info.

And they wonder why they catch shit. 😆

2020 Kentucky was #29 on Kenpom and the next-highest SEC team was 33. But they were awesome because they won the SEC by three games. And lest we forget that KU lost to Bucknell in 2005. That’s very relevant info.

And they wonder why they catch shit. 😆
Yeah, I bet FIU and UConn were tied for #1 in KP prior to the tournament last year. I bet KP had 2018 Illinois-Chicago at 4 going in aye? Maybe think before you start typing there skippy.

Just because UK was 29th, doesn't mean they weren't hot at the right time. That Evansville loss in November had something to do with it.

Oh, so it's not okay to talk about Bill Self losing to Bucknell in 03, but it's okay for you to go on about how bad Tubby Smith was.

Ah, yeah, see, you don't even know how hypocritical you are, you just shoot from the hip and hope you hit something.

Reactions: JC for 3
Yeah, I bet FIU and UConn were tied for #1 in KP prior to the tournament last year. I bet KP had 2018 Illinois-Chicago at 4 going in aye? Maybe think before you start typing there skippy.

Just because UK was 29th, doesn't mean they weren't hot at the right time. That Evansville loss in November had something to do with it.

Oh, so it's not okay to talk about Bill Self losing to Bucknell in 03, but it's okay for you to go on about how bad Tubby Smith was.

Ah, yeah, see, you don't even know how hypocritical you are, you just shoot from the hip and hope you hit something.
I didn’t say Tubby Smith was bad, but is someone with his strengths and weaknesses what you’d be looking for in the next coach?

I’m struggling to figure out what Bucknell has to do with the strength of 2020 Kentucky. But I get it, you and your butt buddy are just triggered again and lashing out.

Reactions: Deepelm
Your problem is that B-Ball isn't as important in 'Bama. That's also why Oats would be inclined to go to a higher bidder from a more consistent B-Ball program.
It's not a problem at all, Bama has had a tremendous amount of success under Nate Oats and the support is there.

I didn’t say Tubby Smith was bad, but is someone with his strengths and weaknesses what you’d be looking for in the next coach?

I’m struggling to figure out what Bucknell has to do with the strength of 2020 Kentucky. But I get it, you and your butt buddy are just triggered again and lashing out.
You don't get the Bucknell/Tubby comparison? Read my post again numbnuts.

Again, it's fine if you talk about Tubby (1997-2007), but me talking about Bucknell, is off limits, bucause, according to you, 2003 was so long ago.

Get it now, or do you need more explanation?

You don't get the Bucknell/Tubby comparison? Read my post again numbnuts.

Again, it's fine if you talk about Tubby (1997-2007), but me talking about Bucknell, is off limits, bucause, according to you, 2003 was so long ago.

Get it now, or do you need more explanation?

For starters, the Bucknell comment was in response to Phog's post about 2020 Kentucky, remember? Do you have Alzheimer's or something?

Second, all I said about Tubby was that he could coach but not recruit (as in, at the level that your fans expect). Which I'm pretty sure is how everybody views Tubby Smith. Sorry that this hurt your delicate feelings.

Eh, Cal has never been a good coach. Talent has disguised what he really is.

He's a great motivator, a great salesman and his training works, but he is a terrible bench coach and his offense is straight out of the 80's. I'm definitely ready for him to move on.
Well Jeff, I have to disagree with you. I think he is a very good coach. I do think it is unreasonable to think there is a coach out there that is perfect with no faults. Who would you replace him with?

The great thing about history is that's not subject to just small eras.
I remember when UK hired Cal, so many were sure he'd never win one. It was set in stone with them and they repeated it over and over. He won one at UK (so far).

For starters, the Bucknell comment was in response to Phog's post about 2020 Kentucky, remember? Do you have Alzheimer's or something?

Second, all I said about Tubby was that he could coach but not recruit (as in, at the level that your fans expect). Which I'm pretty sure is how everybody views Tubby Smith. Sorry that this hurt your delicate feelings.
The bottom line is, you said the Bucknell loss happened in 03, like that was ancient past and shouldn't count… .but Tubby, UK could end up with another Tubby, or BCG and OMG, the program would fail. Tubby can only win with Pitino's leftovers blah, blah, blah.

Example: 'Don't talk about Bucknell, Bradley, NIU, or WSU, that's old news, but Tubby and BCG is okay to rail on UK about'.

Never change

Well Jeff, I have to disagree with you. I think he is a very good coach. I do think it is unreasonable to think there is a coach out there that is perfect with no faults. Who would you replace him with?
I would replace him with someone that prioritizes UK and not the NBA draft.

Trust me, you would hate it if RB never talked about winning championships at UT and mainly talked about all the players he put in the draft and how much money they make.

The game has changed. It's more physical now, there is far more parity and scoring the ball is at a premium. Cal is struggling with all those things.

If he was such a good coach, he wouldn't have gone 9-16 in 2021, lost to Saint Peters with a NPOY winner and 2 NBA draft picks, wouldn't have such a lopsided record against ranked opponents the last 5 years and would have at least sniffed the sweet 16 with his last 2 teams.

He is notorious for playing stall ball with the lead, it's how he lost the Wisconsin game in 2015 (and many others) and his teams always labor to score.

His style was successful the first half of his tenure, but he got lazy and didn't adapt. He's washed up. I hope he proves me wrong, I want to be wrong, but I'm not.

You don't get to keep me on as a fan when you get the keys to the program and shit on it by putting individuals and the NBA draft ahead of it, lose at historic levels, bark at the fans, then go into hiding to avoid answering questions. Nah, if you're going to do that, you better win.

Reactions: cdbearde
Strange how everyone but them can see it, eh?
Says the guy that is the king of "look at me" "don't look at me". You hate UK fans, because there is a large portion of the fanbase that is just like you.

Last edited:
I used to admire/respect KY until Calipari became their head coach. Somehow KY fans took on his personal and became complete dooshnozzles.

Calipari is an average coach that's lived off his cheating ways. Now the field is leveled with NIL and transfers. His paid 5 star FR talent look like beeches against transfer 23-24 year old grown men.

The great thing about history is that's not subject to just small eras.
I remember when UK hired Cal, so many were sure he'd never win one. It was set in stone with them and they repeated it over and over. He won one at UK (so far).
.....it is subject to small eras for programs that don't have much of a history to speak of.

I used to admire/respect KY until Calipari became their head coach. Somehow KY fans took on his personal and became complete dooshnozzles.

Calipari is an average coach that's lived off his cheating ways. Now the field is leveled with NIL and transfers. His paid 5 star FR talent look like beeches against transfer 23-24 year old grown men.
ZERO NCAA Infractions.

Meh... that's a bit exaggerated. Not liking your program doesn't necessarily equate to obsession.
Good one. But I have been around the block a few times and everyone on here and who has ever visited RR understands the UK obsession with Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT