ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular Opinions ITT.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I'll start. I don't think Duke will go away after K retires. They were relevant on a national scale prior to K, and they will be afterwards.

Also, UL got hosed, and nothing is going to happen to KU.

The idea that Duke will become irrelevant after K leaves is a popular opinion on here but I don’t think most people who follow sports believe that. Didn’t Brad Stevens recently say something about that being a job he wants if the Boston job didn’t work out? I think that most of the top available coaches in the sport will be lining up for the Duke job when K does retire.

Here’s an unpopular opinion around here. Roy Williams is only behind Wooden, K and Rupp on the all time best coaches list.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The idea that Duke will become irrelevant after K leaves is a popular opinion on here but I don’t think most people who follow sports believe that. Didn’t Brad Stevens recently say something about that being a job he wants if the Boston job didn’t work out? I think that most of the top available coaches in the sport will be lining up for the Duke job when K does retire.

Here’s an unpopular opinion around here. Roy Williams is only behind Wooden, K and Rupp on the all time best coaches list.

He actually said Duke and UNC but they left that out, lol. Still, I think he will continue to be successful in Boston if they can get rid of Kyrie. I don't think Duke will be concerned with keeping things in the family and will make the best hire possible so completely agree they stay relevant.

I'll start. I don't think Duke will go away after K retires. They were relevant on a national scale prior to K, and they will be afterwards.

Agree with both. Duke may take a step back but they’ll still be a blue blood and in contention for titles most years after they settle in with the right coach. I think it’s possible they make a bad hire and take a few steps back for a few years but they won’t be going away on a national level. I feel dirty for typing that.

As for Louisville, I think forfeiting the past is dumb. We talk about not punishing the kids that had nothing to do with it by pushing towards future sanctions, but I think the opposite. The kids now and in the future can decide to go elsewhere. So they can avoid the punishment. Many (if not most) of the kids on the past teams did nothing wrong and they’ve had their accomplishments stripped. And there’s nothing they can do about it now.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Of course Duke won’t go away. Nike is funneling players their way because of their national brand. Not because of K.

They might fall a notch if they hire a crappy X and O coach though.

1. Rajon Rondo is one of the most misunderstood, brilliant basketball minds in the sport.

2. Kurt Cobain was a slightly above average musician with one great album, propped up by a generational talent behind the drum set.

3. The first “The Fast and the Furious” movie was great, and the other 10 can go to hell.

1. Rajon Rondo is one of the most misunderstood, brilliant basketball minds in the sport.

2. Kurt Cobain was a slightly above average musician with one great album, propped up by a generational talent behind the drum set.

3. The first “The Fast and the Furious” movie was great, and the other 10 can go to hell.
You’re tripping on #2. In Utero, Nevermind, and Bleach shit on anything the Foo Fighters ever put out. Facts.

Yeah, Nirvana is pretty overrated overall. Honestly, so is Pearl Jam, though their first album was ridiculous. There are better 'grunge' bands than both though.

Reactions: anon_65nwv98c2idwc
You’re tripping on #2. In Utero, Nevermind, and Bleach shit on anything the Foo Fighters ever put out. Facts.

The unplugged album was great too. If dude hadn’t been murd—committed suicide, he’d probably have pumped out more great stuff.

Everybody is so intent on slapping the overrated label on Nirvana, but rarely Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains. Those bands are incredibly overrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK

Not arguing that FF are great, arguing that Grohl’s drumming has taken 3 bands to world renowned status, and he’s all too commonly overlooked as the catalyst to Nirvana’s success.

Cobain will forever be a legend because of the movement attributed to him and the fact that he died near the height of his fame. But, Nevermind is the only cover to cover, great album in the discography.

I like In Utero and Bleach, but they don’t hold up anywhere near as well, outside of a handful of good songs.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
To be fair, I don’t even like Nevermind that much. I just always thought people liked them more for what they represented than their actual music, which kind of sucked.

To be fair, I don’t even like Nevermind that much. I just always thought people liked them more for what they represented than their actual music, which kind of sucked.

I’d say it’s both.

Listening to Alice In Chains makes me want to stab my ears. It seems the music critics preferred Nirvana too.

Yeah, Nirvana is pretty overrated overall. Honestly, so is Pearl Jam, though their first album was ridiculous. There are better 'grunge' bands than both though.

You’re wrong on both.

Alice In Chains is the best band of grunge era though.

Reactions: UL_1986
Chris Cornell might be the most overrated grunge artist. Saw him play twice live. Wasn’t impressed either time. Became more overrated after death.

Reactions: UL_1986
You’re wrong on both.

Alice In Chains is the best band of grunge era though.

Maybe on Pearl Jam. Definitely not on Nirvana. They blow. Musically they weren't that good. Their lyrics were mainly nonsense. People who were somewhat marginalized (or faked like they were) just used them to be non-conformist and roll with the movement.

Soundgarden wasn't all that great but their best songs were better than anything Nirvana ever did.

UL did not get hosed
their biggest mistake was admitting to the cheating and not getting a law team together to fight, fight, fight

Bon Jovi and The Beatles are the best two rock bands ever and I sound just like Bon Jovi when I sing during my mid afternoon poo!

Huey Lewis & the News rule. Sports still one of my favorite albums.

Bacon is vastly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I can still eat it. But the way people drool over the thought of bacon floors me. It's not mind, body, and soul sweet-savory deliciousness where one chew instantly provokes another. I'd much rather have steak, which just so happens to be my favorite animal.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Bacon is vastly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I can still eat it. But the way people drool over the thought of bacon floors me. It's not mind, body, and soul sweet-savory deliciousness where one chew instantly provokes another. I'd much rather have steak, which just so happens to be my favorite animal.

Take 1 pound of thick-cut bacon, 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and ground black pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix brown sugar, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and black pepper in a small bowl. Place bacon slices on cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn slices, and bake another 5 minutes. Remove bacon and brush both sides with brown sugar mixture. Return bacon to the oven and bake another 5 minutes. Repeat basting every 5 minutes until bacon is browned and crisp, about 35 minutes.

You're welcome.

When people say "'insert food' is better than sex". No you're just fat, get tired after 5 seconds of physical activity, and you haven't seen your private parts without a mirror for 15 years.

Reactions: toonces11
Take 1 pound of thick-cut bacon, 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and ground black pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix brown sugar, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and black pepper in a small bowl. Place bacon slices on cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn slices, and bake another 5 minutes. Remove bacon and brush both sides with brown sugar mixture. Return bacon to the oven and bake another 5 minutes. Repeat basting every 5 minutes until bacon is browned and crisp, about 35 minutes.

You're welcome.

Sounds interesting. I'll give you that. But at the same time, if someone offered me $1,000 to not eat bacon for the rest of my life, I think I'd be a $1,000 richer.

Yea because we weren’t spoiled by great bands like Panic at the Disco.

Well, today's mainstream rock isn't even worth talking about.

But I don't think many (outside of Gen Xers) believe that 90s grunge was popular music's golden era.

But I don't think many (outside of Gen Xers) believe that 90s grunge was popular music's golden era.
Black Keys, Raconteurs, White Stripes, Pixies, Arctic Monkeys, KOL

That is because the best rock music over the last 18-19 years has predominantly not been mainstream or radio friendly. Selling 1 million records and filling 50,000 seat venues isn't the definition of successful in the genre. Especially for bands or artists that want to have full control of their art. Even a band like Mastodon who is as big the last 5 or so years as anyone in Hard Rock. Doesn't get played on the radio.

ADVERTISEMENT