ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs VA Tech

I was just quoting what the ESPN article said. We didn't back out, just never accepted the invitation. We already had a booked schedule, plus being so young, it was way too early for that quality of competition. Through November all of our games were 2-3 days apart. Lots of games, little practice...

We're heading into the meat of our non-conf games. Perceptions will change....

Disagree. Cal chooses to be young every year, so that’s not an excuse. Being afraid is not UK basketball, we should take on all comers. Cal needs to either change his thinking on that, or recruiting should change so as not to be young every year.

Reactions: Titan_Town
I was just quoting what the ESPN article said. We didn't back out, just never accepted the invitation. We already had a booked schedule, plus being so young, it was way too early for that quality of competition. Through November all of our games were 2-3 days apart. Lots of games, little practice...

We're heading into the meat of our non-conf games. Perceptions will change....
Duke is pretty young too so I understand what you're saying about practice (see our defense) but I think they also learn and progress by playing tougher competition. Cal usually schedules pretty tough OOC games and I think you all have a couple coming up.

(Disagree. Cal chooses to be young every year, so that’s not an excuse. Being afraid is not UK basketball, we should take on all comers. Cal needs to either change his thinking on that, or recruiting should change so as not to be young every year.)

respectfully disagree kyfaninnc. People keep saying he chooses to play that way. Isnt that what every coach at kentucky or anywhere should do. Recruit the best players he possibly can and then put their interests over his program. Im proud hes kys coach.

Ive just never understood the practicality of the thinking that you should recruit lesser players so that they might stay. Those lower ranked players want to get to the nba as fast as they can just like the top ten recruits.

we have had seniors and juniors play big roles and that hasnt stopped uk from getting roofereed. He said uk should recruit more four year players too. Really thinks he has been saving college basketball from ky destroying it by haveing one and dones. Will he try to same against duke, nah. Espin and most of the media doesnt hate them.

I agree with most of your posts kyfannc but dang you have been tough on every coach weve had, bet you were tough on rupp haha.

Honestly, VT is a solid ball club, but they aren't even likely to finish top 6 in the ACC. If UK loses at home to them...well that's not a good sign.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
easy there ul, its just my opinion, which is what the board is for. you wont convince me and i wont convince you, but that home court advantage came in handy last year when said ref was there against ucla huh, uk was never in the game from the get go, then run all over that team on a neutral court in march. sorry its so distressing to you my opinion of higgins refusing to call a shot clock violation costing my team a undefeated season. Or last year, when my team WAS playing the best at the end of the year. chill

VT doesn't have the best offense in basketball and it's not arguable that they do. Regarding UK not getting any respect... They need to beat someone with a pulse. Shouldn't have backed out of the pk80.
If the end goal is to get accolades at the beginning of December then you're right, they shouldn't have backed out of the PK80. If the end goal is to improve with the youngest team in the country then they've scheduled just the way they should have.

No one said it's bad that he recruits the best players. No one's telling him to recruit lesser players. But it's the point that he uses it as an EXCUSE is the problem. There's no excuses. Absolutely none. If he wants to recruit the best players each and every year, great. But he cant say that we lost because they're so young boo hoo. That's just a lame excuse. Especially when majority of them are NBA prospects before freshmen year. People, including uk fans, are tired of hearing that lame, overused excuse. That's the problem.

"We have had seniors and juniors play big roles and that hasnt stopped uk from getting roofereed"

Oh what an absolute crybaby comment to make. Cal says the same thing and blue tinters like you believe him. That's why the whole Higgins thing got started, that's why it's a myth Uk gets hosed by the refs everytime they lose, but somehow are almost undefeated at home in 6-8 years and nothings said out some Uk fans (like you) about that, is it?

What a joke. You and others that have these same excuses are so lame and unbearable. It's never the other team just won, it's always that Uk gets hosed, uk was just better but lost, other team unconscious from 3pt line, etc etc.

Then you have a lot of good Uk fans on here and irl that wonder why their fanbase is so hated. It's because it is filled with whiny fans like you who blame everyone else but the coach or production on the court!

I get sick of Louisville fans saying some of that crap too but jeez man, lighten up. Take defeat instead of making yourself look like a clown.
Lolol what a misguided line if thinking. It's not an excuse if it's the truth. UK doesn't play for November or December like the rest of you guys. They play to win when it matters. Arranging their schedule in the most conducive way possible to improve is smart, not an "excuse." Honestly, some of you have such boners for UK that it makes you stupid.

Lolol what a misguided line if thinking. It's not an excuse if it's the truth. UK doesn't play for November or December like the rest of you guys. They play to win when it matters. Arranging their schedule in the most conducive way possible to improve is smart, not an "excuse." Honestly, some of you have such boners for UK that it makes you stupid.

Did you even read what I said? Doesn't appear so. When did I ever say anything about their schedule being an excuse? Take off your blue tinters and/or go back to RR. Sounds like you described yourself in the last sentence.

If the end goal is to get accolades at the beginning of December then you're right, they shouldn't have backed out of the PK80. If the end goal is to improve with the youngest team in the country then they've scheduled just the way they should have.
Why wouldn't they have improved if they played in the pk80?

That's about what I'm predicting. With how good VT is from three while UK is lots of blah, could be a big problem.
Virginia tech isn't that good... but then again neither is BC so who knows.

Virginia tech isn't that good... but then again neither is BC so who knows.

Maybe not but they have like 13 dudes that can shoot threes. That always makes for an interesting matchup.

Maybe not but they have like 13 dudes that can shoot threes. That always makes for an interesting matchup.
Yeah when teams get hot from 3 it isn't fun. Just be prepared to bitch about them throwing their bodies into defenders begging for foul calls. It's pretty unreal.

Reactions: jhmossy
Disagree. Cal chooses to be young every year, so that’s not an excuse. Being afraid is not UK basketball, we should take on all comers. Cal needs to either change his thinking on that, or recruiting should change so as not to be young every year.
Hey this is the youngest team in all of basketball. Keep up! lol

Duke is pretty young too so I understand what you're saying about practice (see our defense) but I think they also learn and progress by playing tougher competition. Cal usually schedules pretty tough OOC games and I think you all have a couple coming up.

You've got some experience which helps a great deal in practice and on the floor. I can't disagree with you, but Cal knows what he's doing...

But he cant say that we lost because they're so young boo hoo. That's just a lame excuse.

I can't recall him using that excuse after a loss. Maybe you can help with a link? TIA

Oh and nice rant. Very solid. Mox triggered you and rustled some jimmies but still solid. .

Last edited:
VT shoots 47% from 3. They are fully capable of getting hot and shooting 55-60% from behind the arc.

VT isn’t a great team but they can beat anybody in the Country with those shooters. They can also lose to anyone (SLU). VT is incredibly small and average at best defensively so it could get ugly if VT doesn’t shoot well.

Haven’t seen VT play this year,
But if they’re anything like last years squad,
The cats could most certainly lose, they could light you up from 3.

that is what concerns me
we have not guarded the 3 very well so far

on the bright side from what i have seen they can not defend anything

Write it down folks:

Virginia Tech, the paragon of college basketball, is going to sweep into Rupp Arena and devastate the Wildcats 100-15. It will be a blood bath. Kentucky is not used to playing true talent and will wrinkle like a cheap suit.

Kentucky sucks and Virginia Tech is the ultimate team. Virginia Tech can shoot. Kentucky can’t shoot. Cal will be fired after this game. I can't believe he (Cal) scheduled this game!

Eyeroll

How many final fours does UK have: 17
How many final fours does VT have: 0

Cal's record at Rupp is going down one today!

I would assume Cal has informed them of VT's 3 point shooting prowess and we'll tighten up our defense in that area. Maybe not.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Not sure Kentucky would finish in the top 4 of the ACC

Didn't like rooting against Virginia Tech. I'm from Virginia and was raised a Tech fan. Never in my life pulled for the Hokies to lose but that changed today. Great game and good luck the rest of the way Hokies!

Not sure Kentucky would finish in the top 4 of the ACC

Shocking.

Reactions: mebeblue2
VT might finish top four in the ACC

I'm almost positive they wouldn't this year.

Shocking.

I have seen very few years that UK would not finish in the top two of the ACC.

Go read some basketball history. GEEZE!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT