ADVERTISEMENT

The first sentence to your favorite book.

Jack_Ripper

Aug 10, 2011
"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."

To Kill a Mockingbird

It's not my favorite book, but I do like how this has turned into a trivia thread:

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home."

I think it's more fun not to tell anyone the title, provided they're either Googlable or not too obscure.

I can't pick just one:
* "The beet is the most intense of vegetables."
* "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."
* "Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami."
* "An hour before sunset, on the evening of a day in the beginning of October, 1815, a man traveling afoot entered the little town of D______."
* "She is plucking her bird of paradise of its dead branches, leaning around the plant every time she hears a car."
* "Midway in our life’s journey, I went astray
from the straight road and woke to find myself
alone in a dark wood...."

Reactions: Jack_Ripper
“In our family there was not a clear line between religion and fly fishing.”

“I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being.”

"The Body," by Stephen King, the basis for the movie "Stand by Me."

...aaaaand "Fight Club"?

Reactions: toonces11
"He seemed incapable of creating such chaos, but much of what he saw below could be blamed on him....

I think this is it....Been a while since I read it.

He stared into it, mesmerized by its color - and as the fire grew he had the vision of a tower of flame a thousand feet tall, whirling across the country he loved, torching cities and towns, turning rivers to steam, ripping across the ruins of heartland farms and casting the ashes of seventy million human beings into a black sky.

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."

To Kill a Mockingbird

When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth

No, I meant the one baracus posted. Jack_Ripper already got that one.

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth

Definitely high on my fiction list.

Reactions: bkingUK
"Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day (and still remembered among us) owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place."

The Brothers Karamazov

Here some classics --

"Call me Ishmael."

"I am an invisible man."

"All this happened. More or less."

"Happy families are all alike: every unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way."

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

"A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories. Over the main entrance the words, Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and, in a shield, the World State's motto, Community, Identity, Stability."

Here some classics --

"Call me Ishmael."

"I am an invisible man."

"All this happened. More or less."

"Happy families are all alike: every unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way."

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."
4/5. I can't believe I spaced the Vonnegut. It's so Vonnegut.

“My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip."

I don't know if it's my favorite book, but it's the one that when I read it, it meant more to me than any other did.
Like I needed it, perhaps.

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

Not my favorite book, but good opening:

"Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton. Do not think that I am very much impressed by that as a boxing title, but it meant a lot to Cohn."

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

(I'll have to drag out a copy of my favorite book, Patrick Obrien's Letter of Marque

When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton

I pickup The Hobbit and TLoR every couple of years to this day. What pee'd me off most about the Hobbit movies was Tauriel was a redhead. The only known redheaded elves were the sons of Feanor. She would have been an elve of incredible power. Somewhere between Galadriel and Elrond. Who didn't know that ?

Last edited:
Either

'As I left the railway station at Worchester and set out on the three-mile walk to Ransom’s cottage, I reflected that no one on that platform could possibly guess the truth about the man I was going to visit.'

or

'The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years—if it ever did end—began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.'

Not my favorite book, but good opening:

"Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton. Do not think that I am very much impressed by that as a boxing title, but it meant a lot to Cohn."

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

(I'll have to drag out a copy of my favorite book, Patrick Obrien's Letter of Marque
That second one might be the longest sentence he ever wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT