ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse @ Duke (-17)

Jack White is a killer role player, but that's it. Missed Reddish a lot but this team is nothing without a competent point guard.
He is the 2nd leading rebounder and plays 25 MPG, that's more than a role player IMO. Usually he's a solid performer, just happens he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn tonight. I do think O'Connell is starting to make a name for himself, too.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
He is the 2nd leading rebounder and plays 25 MPG, that's more than a role player IMO. Usually he's a solid performer, just happens he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn tonight. I do think O'Connell is starting to make a name for himself, too.
O'Connell is a scorer, his issues have been on the defensive end. White is a good compliment to the rest of the team and usually hits open threes. Not tonight.

The magic of Jack White seems to be running out lately. Hope it comes back. I did not like what I saw out of Goldwire last night. It is going to be a long two months.

Reactions: toonces11
I still fully expect you guys to win Saturday. K will use the Tre injury as a rallying tool and come up with some "underdog" mentality to pull out the win. Goddamn Syracuse thugs.

Heh. No chance.

Duke losing Jones is bad. He is the most important player to the team, the best defender, and possibly the best PG in the country. And it is sounding like he will be out a while. We won’t be getting updates, because Duke. Mother****ering injuries... they just suck the damn fun out of a season so quick.

Reactions: tw3301 and C*A*T*S
Heh. No chance.

Duke losing Jones is bad. He is the most important player to the team, the best defender, and possibly the best PG in the country. And it is sounding like he will be out a while. We won’t be getting updates, because Duke. Mother****ering injuries... they just suck the damn fun out of a season so quick.
If you listen closely you can hear Ja Morant snickering all the way from Murray, KY.

His reaction looked worse than the collision. He was clearly in a lot of pain.

K said in post game, Jones thought his collar bone was broke.
This is not an indictment on Duke, but basketball players in general. They are giant pussies. UNC’s freshman broke his collar bone against GT this year. He continues the drive and threw a TD. He left the game after that and missed the rest of the season.

If you listen closely you can hear Ja Morant snickering all the way from Murray, KY.

and possibly the best PG in the country.

As I said... POSSIBLY.

Listen, obviously Morant is blowing up over at Murray State.

But for the sake of the conversation...

In Tre's corner...

Tre has an A/TO ratio of around 6:1. Morant is around a 2:1.

Morant gets more rebounds. But Morant is only four or five inches shorter than his teams center. Tre is the shortest guy in the regular rotation, and is four or five inches shorter than his teams SG.

Morant has faced a schedule which has resulted in him seeing an strength of schedule where the opponents offense is ranked 336 and the opponents D is ranked 263. Jones at Duke has faced the adjusted O ranking of 20 and D of 19. Morant has faced one Top 25 team this year. Jones has faced five Top 15 teams this year.

Jones shoots half as many shots as the most "shootingest" player on his team. Morant takes the second most shots on his team, less than half a shot less per game than the guy who takes the most.

Listen, Morant is having an amazing season, and may indeed be better. Obviously. Arguing against him is an uphill battle. But I don't think it's crazy to say that Jones is POSSIBLY the best PG in the country, especially given the differences between what those two players have faced and what is expected of them. There are probably four or five guys in that conversation.

I DO know that, as a Duke guy, I wouldn't trade Jones for Morant.

Edit: I hope my numbers are right? I was using sports-reference, but looking at it, some of their numbers for Ja don't match the ESPN numbers.

Last edited:
Didn't every Syracuse big have at least 3 fouls by the end of the first half? I mean, we could have fouled out their entire frontcourt if we kept going inside. Dumb, dumb, dumb... We desperately need Tre Jones back. Hopefully he'll be back before the end of the month.

This is not an indictment on Duke, but basketball players in general. They are giant pussies. UNC’s freshman broke his collar bone against GT this year. He continues the drive and threw a TD. He left the game after that and missed the rest of the season.

Time to toughen up! Take a lesson from Gerald Henderson Sr.

DTX3U6jUMAAkRFJ.jpg

Didn't every Syracuse big have at least 3 fouls by the end of the first half? I mean, we could have fouled out their entire frontcourt if we kept going inside. Dumb, dumb, dumb... We desperately need Tre Jones back. Hopefully he'll be back before the end of the month.
Don't count on it. Hope he is back by 3/1

Uh... I'm not sure if that is true. I mean, they aren't hockey players, but they aren't soccer players either. Lots of guys play through pretty painful shit. We just don't hear a lot about it.

Having dislocated both of my shoulders playing hockey, I will say, it sucked. And because I was a douche about rehab, my right shoulder in particular has never really been the same.

Uh... I'm not sure if that is true. I mean, they aren't hockey players, but they aren't soccer players either. Lots of guys play through pretty painful shit. We just don't hear a lot about it.

Having dislocated both of my shoulders playing hockey, I will say, it sucked. And because I was a douche about rehab, my right shoulder in particular has never really been the same.
Go back and watch guys in the 70s/80s and even the early 90s. They played a different game. These players today are a different breed. It has more to do with how the game is played and how they are raised. There isn’t the physicality in today’s game.

Go back and watch guys in the 70s/80s and even the early 90s. They played a different game. These players today are a different breed. It has more to do with how the game is played and how they are raised. There isn’t the physicality in today’s game.

Oh, no debating that... it's very much a different game. Jesus, you look at some of the play back then... guys were straight up getting MUGGED:)

Time to toughen up! Take a lesson from Gerald Henderson Sr.

DTX3U6jUMAAkRFJ.jpg

Gerald Henderson senior would be serving fries in the good year 2019 instead of in the NBA like 95% of the bums that played 30 years ago

As I said... POSSIBLY.

In Tre's corner...

Morant gets more rebounds. But Morant is only four or five inches shorter than his teams center. Tre is the shortest guy in the regular rotation, and is four or five inches shorter than his teams SG.

Morant has faced a schedule which has resulted in him seeing an strength of schedule where the opponents offense is ranked 336 and the opponents D is ranked 263. Jones at Duke has faced the adjusted O ranking of 20 and D of 19. Morant has faced one Top 25 team this year. Jones has faced five Top 15 teams this year.

Jones shoots half as many shots as the most "shootingest" player on his team. Morant takes the second most shots on his team, less than half a shot less per game than the guy who takes the most.

Listen, Morant is having an amazing season, and may indeed be better. Obviously. Arguing against him is an uphill battle. But I don't think it's crazy to say that Jones is POSSIBLY the best PG in the country, especially given the differences between what those two players have faced and what is expected of them. There are probably four or five guys in that conversation.

Edit: I hope my numbers are right? I was using sports-reference, but looking at it, some of their numbers for Ja don't match the ESPN numbers.

Morant also isn't playing with 3 of the top 10 picks in the NBA draft either. Think his numbers would be better if he was?

Injuries are a part of the game, they happen to every team every season. That being said, I hope Jones is okay and Duke will be fine without him while he’s out. They are still an elite team with more talent than everyone.

Good win for Cuse yesterday. Battle is a monster.

Injuries are a part of the game, they happen to every team every season. That being said, I hope Jones is okay and Duke will be fine without him while he’s out. They are still an elite team with more talent than everyone.

Good win for Cuse yesterday. Battle is a monster.

Agreed. But when your PG is your best on ball defender, it’s like losing two players at the same time + Cam. But it happens. Better it happens now than later in the season.

Reactions: JimboBBN
As I said... POSSIBLY.

In Tre's corner...

Jones is really good, no doubt. An argument can certainly be made. The knock on Morant is definitely his propensity for turnovers and his jumper. He takes the most shots on his team, by far, but he's also shooting 54% from the field, 10% better than Jones. They both suck from 3. He doesn't play against the greatest competition but he put up huge numbers against the best opponents they have played this season, Alabama and Auburn. He has one triple-double this year and came really close in 4 or 5 other games. He's also the guy that always gets keyed on by opposing defenses whereas Jones has plenty of other guys around him to take the pressure off. Plus it's a little easier to drop dimes when you're passing it to any one of the likely top 3 2019 NBA draft picks. I give Jones the edge on defense, he has been a savage this year.

Morant also isn't playing with 3 of the top 10 picks in the NBA draft either. Think his numbers would be better if he was?

No, I don't think his numbers overall would be better... he'd be getting a quarter of the shots he gets now. Maybe his assists would be better? But I'm not sure... he would be trying to get assists against the best teams in the nation, rather than assists against Eastern Kentucky and UT Martin and SE Missouri State.

Yup. Luckily it’s not broken. May miss 2-3 weeks. I can live with that. I just hope this doesn’t affect his game going forward.

The quote I seem to see most often this AM is 6 weeks.

I just pissed like Jim Boeheim bahahaha
RollLaugh

I caught some of the post-game presser on ESPN, where he said Zion reminded him of Charles Barkley but he shoots better and isn't as fat. I wonder if anyone asked him about his pissy pants though...

Reactions: Quavarius
He was all NBA against Kentucky.
He was all college 6th man against Kentucky. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Bert.

Hell nah, that hurt! But the white kid with the funny hair cut looks like he would smoke a sausage.

Would not surprise me if he was a little sweet for the cock. I hope he becomes a productive cocksucker for Duke. We'll need him.

ADVERTISEMENT