ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you guys are definitely more paranoid than you need to be. Life is too hard to worry about another one of these illnesses that will have no affect on my life whatsoever.
I don't think following the story and talking about it a few times a day means we're paranoid.

I do think that believing Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palms have an agenda by projecting Duke as a higher seed than Kentucky equals paranoia though.

If one google dot appears near Memphis, I'm wearing a mask when leaving the house.

I haven't decided between Nixon or Reagan.

Long story not going to be told. Society don't like when ppl wear a pirate bay black hoodie and a latex Nixon mask out in public. TIFWIW. You can just be riding in a car, walking on a sidewalk, shopping for groceries and it's frowned upon.

Reactions: dtgold88
I feel like there have been a ton of disease outbreaks around the world the past few years that are supposed to wipe out large populations. It's huge news for a few weeks/months, then you just stop hearing about them completely. RollLaugh

Im pretty sure these been like 3 or 4 diseases that were supposed to kill a huge chunk of people and they all amounted to be nothing. Swine flu anyone? I think you all are paranoid and it’s funny

Eyeroll

What's the sports equivalent of building up and then tearing down a strawman argument? I nominate that it is the equivalent of the 25 foot tall 7th grader staring down a small child while playing on an 8 foot rim:

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/t...-playing-on-8-foot-rims.918810/#post-29774476

I don't think following the story and talking about it a few times a day means we're paranoid.

I do think that believing Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palms have an agenda by projecting Duke as a higher seed than Kentucky equals paranoia though.
So a four page thread isn't being paranoid? Got it

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Can't say I've followed that closely. Read roughly 56K die per year from flu. Less than 3000 from Corona virus (Get hasn't been a year).

Am I missing something?
Nope. But I will let you know when the next big disease comes so you can prepare for the paranoia

I mean we aren't wrong. People freak out about this stuff all the time. I choose to use my energy on something that will actually affect me or people around me.

Yes, you are wrong because you've created a straw man that I bolded for you: "supposed to kill a huge chunk of people." Sure, if not addressed and left completely unchecked, the virus (like prior ones) has the potential to kill a huge chunk of people in our interconnected world. But no one is saying that is must or is supposed to do so, especially because smart people took/are taking steps (and spending real money) in preventing just that from happening.

Your claim is like saying that Y2K was nothing because it was "supposed to" cause chaos and destruction. No, it was something with incredible destructive potential. Luckily, people took the appropriate steps (at the cost of $200-$865b, based on various estimates) to prevent that.

Those "people" that "freak out about this stuff all the time" include the vast network of public health officials, scientists, politicians, etc... that help to ensure that this virus does not "kill a huge chunk of people." It's already cost a fortune in terms of global output, and an Oxford study puts the cost at up to $1.1 trillion.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Can't say I've followed that closely. Read roughly 56K die per year from flu. Less than 3000 from Corona virus (Get hasn't been a year).

Am I missing something?

If the Corona virus gets into the US like the flu is instead of 40 to 80,000 deaths the Corona virus could kill 300,000 to 600,000.

Think of the entire population of Wyoming dying.

The CV seems to be physically harder to catch than the flu, but you can have the CV for weeks before you know you are spreading it. Unlike the flu which is a couple days.

It's not going to end the world, but it could devastate countries/ economies if it isn't contained or limited.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Yes, you are wrong because you've created a straw man that I bolded for you: "supposed to kill a huge chunk of people." Sure, if not addressed and left completely unchecked, the virus (like prior ones) has the potential to kill a huge chunk of people in our interconnected world. But no one is saying that is must or is supposed to do so, especially because smart people took/are taking steps (and spending real money) in preventing just that from happening.

Your claim is like saying that Y2K was nothing because it was "supposed to" cause chaos and destruction. No, it was something with incredible destructive potential. Luckily, people took the appropriate steps (at the cost of $200-$865b, based on various estimates) to prevent that.

Those "people" that "freak out about this stuff all the time" include the vast network of public health officials, scientists, politicians, etc... that help to ensure that this virus does not "kill a huge chunk of people." It's already cost a fortune in terms of global output, and an Oxford study puts the cost at up to $1.1 trillion.
Where are you building your safe house? I may need to rent one out. Also, is this the same one you used for the swine flu, ect?

All I'm saying is the media is making this out to be a way bigger deal than it really is. And I can tell some of you watch like zombies. No thanks.

Where are you building your safe house? I may need to rent one out. Also, is this the same one you used for the swine flu, ect?

All I'm saying is the media is making this out to be a way bigger deal than it really is. And I can tell some of you watch like zombies. No thanks.

There's a pretty big gulf between (i) literally not worrying about it until it affects your family/friends (your position) and (ii) sh!t I'm so scared I better build a safe house (no one's position). It's fallacious, in fact, to pretend these are the only two options - the appeal to the extremes (not surprisingly, a relative of the straw man fallacy) .

My stance is that this is a pretty big deal, we should be monitoring it closely, and relevant professionals should be taking corrective measures. I've spent maybe 2 hours of my reading about it, which is far less time than I've spent on college basketball during the relevant time frame. Maybe if you're a slow reader or just don't enjoy learning about new things it would seem burdensome. But I'm glad that you're looking out for my time; it's totally your business. #conservativevalues?

There's a pretty big gulf between (i) literally not worrying about it until it affects your family/friends (your position) and (ii) sh!t I'm so scared I better build a safe house (no one's position). It's fallacious, in fact, to pretend these are the only two options - the appeal to the extremes (not surprisingly, a relative of the straw man fallacy) .

My stance is that this is a pretty big deal, we should be monitoring it closely, and relevant professionals should be taking corrective measures. I've spent maybe 2 hours of my reading about it, which is far less time than I've spent on college basketball during the relevant time frame. Maybe if you're a slow reader or just don't enjoy learning about new things it would seem burdensome. But I'm glad that you're looking out for my time; it's totally your business. #conservativevalues?
Make sure your house isn't sealed air tight, so all the smoke you're blowing out your ass doesn't get trapped. I'll wait for your next post of multiple paragraphs explaining how you aren't concerned and anyone who doesn't think like you is a slow reader. But then again, that's what your side does. Attack those who don't agree with them. We can move on.

Make sure your house isn't sealed air tight, so all the smoke you're blowing out your ass doesn't get trapped. I'll wait for your next post of multiple paragraphs explaining how you aren't concerned and anyone who doesn't think like you is a slow reader. But then again, that's what your side does. Attack those who don't agree with them. We can move on.

I'm attacking your arguments, which are fallacious. My slow reader quip was not necessarily directed at you personally, but I'll concede it was mocking. Then again, so were many of your remarks ("watch like zombies," "safe house," "paranoia," and now "all the smoke you're blowing out your ass").

Also here's my second paragraph, since "that's what {my} side does," apparently. That and fart. Anyway, I'm glad that you concede and we can move on.

Dude, you know I love you, but you are taking a bit "head in sand" approach mixed with some strawman stuff, and willfully ignoring a lot of stuff because you think there is some media conspiracy or something.

This seems like a big deal. Entire nations are cancelling schools. Nations are closing borders. The number of reported cases is skyrocketing like nothing we've seen in recent memory, including swine flu and the rest of them. The economy of the world is starting to get shaky, with the US seeing the biggest stock market losses in years. Various top level government organizations around the world are advocating some of the strictest restrictions we've ever seen. Democrats and Republicans alike are sounding warnings for the American people to prepare for possibly major disruptions in industries like food supply and medicine.

If people from all walks of life, of all ages, with families and without, with health issues and without, talk about it on a message board, and share information, and discuss ways to keep themselves and their families more protected, that's not some sheep thing... that seems to me to be common sense.

And taking the approach of "I'm not going to worry about something that won't impact me" is silly. You own any stock? Then guess what... it has already impacted you. Buy any chinese-made products? It has already impacted you. Pay taxes? It has already impacted you. And if you think that where you live and where you work isn't tied into the world at large...

When experts begin to get anxious, it's best to keep informed and stay ahead of things.

I'm attacking your arguments, which are fallacious. My slow reader quip was not necessarily directed at you personally, but I'll concede it was mocking. Then again, so were many of your remarks ("watch like zombies," "safe house," "paranoia," and now "all the smoke you're blowing out your ass").

Also here's my second paragraph, since "that's what {my} side does," apparently. That and fart. Anyway, I'm glad that you concede and we can move on.
Definitely still blowing smoke out your ass. I don’t care if you keep talking or not personally.

Dude, you know I love you, but you are taking a bit "head in sand" approach mixed with some strawman stuff, and willfully ignoring a lot of stuff because you think there is some media conspiracy or something.

This seems like a big deal. Entire nations are cancelling schools. Nations are closing borders. The number of reported cases is skyrocketing like nothing we've seen in recent memory, including swine flu and the rest of them. The economy of the world is starting to get shaky, with the US seeing the biggest stock market losses in years. Various top level government organizations around the world are advocating some of the strictest restrictions we've ever seen. Democrats and Republicans alike are sounding warnings for the American people to prepare for possibly major disruptions in industries like food supply and medicine.

If people from all walks of life, of all ages, with families and without, with health issues and without, talk about it on a message board, and share information, and discuss ways to keep themselves and their families more protected, that's not some sheep thing... that seems to me to be common sense.

And taking the approach of "I'm not going to worry about something that won't impact me" is silly. You own any stock? Then guess what... it has already impacted you. Buy any chinese-made products? It has already impacted you. Pay taxes? It has already impacted you. And if you think that where you live and where you work isn't tied into the world at large...

When experts begin to get anxious, it's best to keep informed and stay ahead of things.
I’m guessing you’ve said something similar about the other diseases I should have been worried about. Y’all keep doing you

Has the world ended yet?

No one here said it would.

Im pretty sure these been like 3 or 4 diseases that were supposed to kill a huge chunk of people and they all amounted to be nothing. Swine flu anyone? I think you all are paranoid and it’s funny

No one here said they would.

Exactly. This won't be the last disease to end the world, I promise

No one here said it would be.

No you guys are definitely more paranoid than you need to be. Life is too hard to worry about another one of these illnesses that will have no affect on my life whatsoever.

Nobody here seems THAT paranoid. Nobody is stockpiling guns like people did when Obama was elected, or stockpiling anti flu drugs, or building bunkers...?

And it's a bit too early to say that this illness will have no effect on your life whatsoever. As I already pointed out... it likely has. You work in finance, right?

So a four page thread isn't being paranoid? Got it

We have four page threads on a missed foul on Duke.

(Oh wait... that IS paranoia.)

I mean we aren't wrong. People freak out about this stuff all the time. I choose to use my energy on something that will actually affect me or people around me.

Again, it likely already has.

Nobody is building a safe house. Nobody built one for swine flu. And it isn't about the media... again, entire countries are closing down entire industries and services.

So what? There’s not much I can do about it lol

Sure there is.

So what? There’s not much I can do about it lol

Hey man, here's the thing... I've got kids I'm responsible for, I've got an 80 year old mom, I work in a job where I am around hundreds of germy kids all day in a heavily Asian town, where many of the adults work in one of the largest, most diverse cities in the world, most of my retirement funds are in the stock market... I think trying to stay abreast of this stuff is pretty reasonable. I'm not building a bunker, I'm not sealing my doors... but what's wrong with discussing it and taking precautions?

Hey man, here's the thing... I've got kids I'm responsible for, I've got an 80 year old mom, I work in a job where I am around hundreds of germy kids all day in a heavily Asian town, most of my retirement funds are in the stock market... I think trying to stay abreast of this stuff is pretty reasonable. I'm not building a bunker, I'm not sealing my doors... but what's wrong with discussing it and taking precautions?
Nothing. Do what you want. You all are more worried about it than I am. I’m not changing anything in my normal every day life. That’s it.

Nothing. Do what you want. You all are more worried about it than I am. I’m not changing anything in my normal every day life. That’s it.

And that's fine. You don't have kids, you don't work in an area near any cases yet, you are young and relatively health... there likely isn't much you SHOULD be doing right now.

And that's fine. You don't have kids, you don't work in an area near any cases yet, you are young and relatively health... there likely isn't much you SHOULD be doing right now.
Just be sure and wash your hands though, jimbo.

Which is why you should feel safe IMO. We have some of the smartest people in the world working day and night to make sure this thing is contained and a vaccine is found. The fatality rate is being reported anywhere from 0.5%-3.5%. Some scientists believe there's plenty of unreported/undiagnosed cases. If true, the fatality rate declines even more.

So tell me, past the initial and irrational reaction any human has when they first hear a potential castastrophe, why do I need to be concerned? I have trust in those scientists, politicians, health system, etc.. to get the job done as per usual.

I get people being overly concerned, especially those with kids. But I don't get letting fear cause illogical thinking. Odds are those bright men and women keep us all safe, or atleast nearly all of us.

You like it

giphy.gif

ITT: People who have never lived through a pandemic acting like a possible pandemic shouldn't just be discussed because we live in modern times and its impossible for it to happen here.

People should be discussing this, and it has the potential to be a very big deal both economically and in terms of death tolls.

Is it for sure going to kill hundreds of thousands? No. Is it possible that it will? You bet your ass. The DoD is cancelling lots of travel and conferences in the coming months, and I can guarantee you that is not driven by the media or their reaction to this story.

ITT: People who have never lived through a pandemic acting like a possible pandemic shouldn't just be discussed because we live in modern times and its impossible for it to happen here.

People should be discussing this, and it has the potential to be a very big deal both economically and in terms of death tolls.

Is it for sure going to kill hundreds of thousands? No. Is it possible that it will? You bet your ass. The DoD is cancelling lots of travel and conferences in the coming months, and I can guarantee you that is not driven by the media or their reaction to this story.
We canceled our Dungeons & dragons tournament, along with the Magic tournament.

Would guess it’s a certain “population” of people not concerned. It’s affecting my work, and travel. Im headed to Chicago for a conference next week..and there’s been plenty of talk about the virus in regards to flying to and from major cities.

I am convinced there is a pandemic coming in the near future that will wipe out a large portion of the population. Earth is already over the carrying capacity for humans, imo, and continues to grow at a ridiculous rate. The population has essentially doubled over the past 40 years. If we continue to find cures and/or slow progression of disease this propagates the population even more. There will always be diseases, especially viruses, that are resistant to treatment. When things are out of whack, nature has a strange way of correcting them, ie overpopulation.

CNN International@cnni

38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.

SmokinSmileEyeroll
I always love seeing "survey" stats, doesn't matter what the subject is. I have never been asked, nor do I know anyone else who has. So, who exactly are they polling?

I am convinced there is a pandemic coming in the near future that will wipe out a large portion of the population. Earth is already way over the carrying capacity for humans and continues to grow at a ridiculous rate. The population has essentially doubled over the past 40 years. If we continue to find cures and/or slow progression of disease this propagates the population even more. There will always be diseases, especially viruses, that are resistant to treatment. When things are out of whack, nature has a strange way of correcting them, ie overpopulation.
Pretty much this in a nutshell. I’ve said this for years.

I am convinced there is a pandemic coming in the near future that will wipe out a large portion of the population. Earth is already over the carrying capacity for humans, imo, and continues to grow at a ridiculous rate. The population has essentially doubled over the past 40 years. If we continue to find cures and/or slow progression of disease this propagates the population even more. There will always be diseases, especially viruses, that are resistant to treatment. When things are out of whack, nature has a strange way of correcting them, ie overpopulation.
Everyday I'm stuck in rush hour traffic I (not seriously) think to myself "we need a new plague."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT