ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would survive not leaving my place for an extended period of time, even in Chicago. If it progressed to mad max scenario of over a year without accessible food and then no electricity, no water, I don't think I'd want to live in that

Your spelling of "joos" made me snarf up water through my nostrils:)

One of the benefits of following Qanon and similar conspiracy theories for fun is the subtle mocking of their (or is it (((their)))?) arguments.

I bought some XOM on Monday and it’s already down $5. I’m holding it for the long term but it sucks knowing that if I had just waited a few days I would’ve gotten some more shares. Don’t plan on selling anything in the meantime though.

Puts.

When I die first, everything goes to the wife, when she dies, everything goes to St. Judes. I'm working hard and smart, just to save for St. Judes. Eyeroll

No children.

Reactions: Hank_
I don’t mess around with any of that. I just buy and hold for the long term.

Snu, how far down do you see the DOW and SP 500 going off of its highs? And how long do you think it takes to get there? Think this will be a month or so of swings before it begins to recover?
I don't think it's gonna go down too much further. There is too much good news (corporate earnings & economic indicators) in the market to sustain a long, drawn out decline.

For example, Home Depots earnings were really solid. Smashed earnings estimates. Raised its dividend by ten percent. Housing starts in January missed by like 3%, but permits rose to a 13 year high suggesting that starts will be really picking up in the spring. There are drips and drabs of information like this that seem to come out every week, too.

I think there could be some additional slippage, but I don't think it's going to be too much more. I would expect some sort of pop in the short turn when people start to get in on the drop. I certainly did. I wired over cash this morning. Put it in the S&P Index ETF. I am more worried about a Democrat like Sanders or Warren winning in November. I'm putting a large portion of my portfolio in cash in October. I'm taking any risk (positive or negative) off the table. If Sanders wins, I think there will be major market moves. The street knows his agenda would be a disaster. Same with Warren.

Honestly think this whole uproar from the Dems is nothing more than politics, per the usual with them. This is the latest outrage since everything else they've tried hasn't worked.

Reactions: I am stupid
Anyone ever read Dean Koon’ ? He wrote about this virus years ago. He even called it The Wuhan’s virus and he stated that it was man made...crazy shit
bannereye.jpg

I think the book even mentions the year to be 2020. I haven’t read it but I’ve seen this circulating.

bannereye.jpg

I think the book even mentions the year to be 2020. I haven’t read it but I’ve seen this circulating.

I have read some Koontz but not that one. May have to check it out. I doubt it is anywhere close to as good as The Stand but I like apocalyptic and/or dystopian stuff.

I don't think it's gonna go down too much further. There is too much good news (corporate earnings & economic indicators) in the market to sustain a long, drawn out decline.

For example, Home Depots earnings were really solid. Smashed earnings estimates. Raised its dividend by ten percent. Housing starts in January missed by like 3%, but permits rose to a 13 year high suggesting that starts will be really picking up in the spring. There are drips and drabs of information like this that seem to come out every week, too.

I think there could be some additional slippage, but I don't think it's going to be too much more. I would expect some sort of pop in the short turn when people start to get in on the drop. I certainly did. I wired over cash this morning. Put it in the S&P Index ETF. I am more worried about a Democrat like Sanders or Warren winning in November. I'm putting a large portion of my portfolio in cash in October. I'm taking any risk (positive or negative) off the table. If Sanders wins, I think there will be major market moves. The street knows his agenda would be a disaster. Same with Warren.

Honestly think this whole uproar from the Dems is nothing more than politics, per the usual with them. This is the latest outrage since everything else they've tried hasn't worked.

That last paragraph sums it up. Face punches for the lot of them.
Kevin B- my RH- alien blood= invincible lolWinking

I have read some Koontz but not that one. May have to check it out. I doubt it is anywhere close to as good as The Stand but I like apocalyptic and/or dystopian stuff.

Love that damn book. The chapter about all of the deaths that come from the AFTERMATH of the plague was one of my favorites.

If you haven't read World War Z, I highly highly recommend it. Movie was unwatchable and had NOTHING to do with the book at all. The book is pretty damn brilliant.

Reactions: bMORE607
Love that damn book. The chapter about all of the deaths that come from the AFTERMATH of the plague was one of my favorites.

If you haven't read World War Z, I highly highly recommend it. Movie was unwatchable and had NOTHING to do with the book at all. The book is pretty damn brilliant.

The book is great. I have not read WWZ. But yeah, the movie sucked. I really love apocalyptic stuff. Swan Song is my favorite but also loved The Fireman, I Am Legen, The Strain series, etc... I may try the book if is good. I just started reading Carrion Comfort and am finally getting into it. Like it so far.

The book is great. I have not read WWZ. But yeah, the movie sucked. I really love apocalyptic stuff. Swan Song is my favorite but also loved The Fireman, I Am Legen, The Strain series, etc... I may try the book if is good. I just started reading Carrion Comfort and am finally getting into it. Like it so far.

Oh dude. You will LOVE it. Totally unlike the movie.

The book tells the story of the zombie apocalypse POST apocalypse, after humanity basically won, through interviews between the author and various people. But what’s fascinating is that each interview (each are generally between two and five pages) is with someone different... there are only two or three characters who have a couple of Interviews. Otherwise, all different, which leads you to “hearing” so many different perspectives that, by the end, you really have this incredible feel for every aspect of the history of the zombie war. You hear from astronauts who are on MIR when it happens, Russian conscripts in Siberia, doctors, a bodyguard for an unnamed famous celebrity, a guy who created a fake vaccine to make money when it first happened... politicians, generals, film makers, pilots, dog experts, housewives, people tasked with cleaning out the harbors, people who survived in castles, people whose job was to clean out the zombie infested catacombs of Paris... it’s really done at a scale, and with an attention to detail, that I’ve never seen in another book, and which is just so damn cool.

How on earth they turned it into that terrible movie, with a central character... well, they were desperate, I suppose.

Oh dude. You will LOVE it. Totally unlike the movie.

The book tells the story of the zombie apocalypse POST apocalypse, after humanity basically won, through interviews between the author and various people. But what’s fascinating is that each interview (each are generally between two and five pages) is with someone different... there are only two or three characters who have a couple of Interviews. Otherwise, all different, which leads you to “hearing” so many different perspectives that, by the end, you really have this incredible feel for every aspect of the history of the zombie war. You hear from astronauts who are on MIR when it happens, Russian conscripts in Siberia, doctors, a bodyguard for an unnamed famous celebrity, a guy who created a fake vaccine to make money when it first happened... politicians, generals, film makers, pilots, dog experts, housewives, people tasked with cleaning out the harbors, people who survived in castles, people whose job was to clean out the zombie infested catacombs of Paris... it’s really done at a scale, and with an attention to detail, that I’ve never seen in another book, and which is just so damn cool.

How on earth they turned it into that terrible movie, with a central character... well, they were desperate, I suppose.

Yeah, sounds like an interesting concept. They can turn anything into a movie. Hell, The Lawnmower Man is a weird short story that was turned into a movie that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual book. It wasn't even loosely related, just basically used the name.

Not much new info today, except DON'T put your money on the vaccine they are currently testing on humans working very well. I'm not part of the drug trial, so Im not sure how thats going. CDC and the HHS are still f'ing clueless and at this point its just sad. Its like they have their heads in the sand. Worse thing is that their cluelessness is starting to filter down to everybody else.

I wrote some stuff up about the virus, but haven't posted it here yet, but will try to post it quick tomorrow. I have a different background from most in that I was working on a masters degree in microbiology specifically in airborne and respiratory pathogens before I got into medicine almost 20 yrs ago. Anyway I still keep in touch with most of the people I worked with in this lab.Some these people have gone on to their PhD's and a couple are now well known within this area of respiratory pathogens. I've had some conversations with them over the past few weeks as as few of them are now working on the genetic structure of the virus, so I'll try to post this tomorrow - Today at 12:47 AM

Most of us should be just fine. It’s our parents we should be concerned for. That and the hospital rate is something like 10-20%. Even a small breakout in the states would completely overwhelm our hospitals. I don’t think we have enough beds/nurses/doctors to handle the amount of people that would need care.

20860.jpeg

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Im pretty sure these been like 3 or 4 diseases that were supposed to kill a huge chunk of people and they all amounted to be nothing. Swine flu anyone? I think you all are paranoid and it’s funny
There was also that angry cow and the bird with the flu.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Exactly. This won't be the last disease to end the world, I promise
Nobody thinks that the world is ending. And nobody in this topic is panicking. You're overreacting thinking that we are overreacting by talking about how the stock market is crashing, how it's a good reminder to tell people to wash their hands and how we are saying we bought a couple of extra bags of beans and soup at the store.

Nobody thinks that the world is ending. And nobody in this topic is panicking. You're overreacting thinking that we are overreacting by talking about how the stock market is crashing, how it's a good reminder to tell people to wash their hands and how we are saying we bought a couple of extra bags of beans and soup at the store.
No you guys are definitely more paranoid than you need to be. Life is too hard to worry about another one of these illnesses that will have no affect on my life whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT