ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why you should feel safe IMO. We have some of the smartest people in the world working day and night to make sure this thing is contained and a vaccine is found. The fatality rate is being reported anywhere from 0.5%-3.5%. Some scientists believe there's plenty of unreported/undiagnosed cases. If true, the fatality rate declines even more.

So tell me, past the initial and irrational reaction any human has when they first hear a potential castastrophe, why do I need to be concerned? I have trust in those scientists, politicians, health system, etc.. to get the job done as per usual.

I get people being overly concerned, especially those with kids. But I don't get letting fear cause illogical thinking. Odds are those bright men and women keep us all safe, or atleast nearly all of us.

Actually the WHO says many cases especially in China are not being reported because symptoms were mild and recovery quick. Actual death is expected to be .3-1.0%. Closer to normal flu death rates.

We canceled our Dungeons & dragons tournament, along with the Magic tournament.

I thought you were a Kentucky guy, not a Duke guy?

CNN International@cnni

38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.

SmokinSmileEyeroll

Oh boy. There are a lot of dumb mofos out there.

I am convinced there is a pandemic coming in the near future that will wipe out a large portion of the population. Earth is already over the carrying capacity for humans, imo, and continues to grow at a ridiculous rate. The population has essentially doubled over the past 40 years. If we continue to find cures and/or slow progression of disease this propagates the population even more. There will always be diseases, especially viruses, that are resistant to treatment. When things are out of whack, nature has a strange way of correcting them, ie overpopulation.

On a theoretical level, something like that might end up, in the long term, being a good thing for humanity.

On a practical level, living through it would be a ****ing nightmare of unheard of proportions.

Which is why you should feel safe IMO. We have some of the smartest people in the world working day and night to make sure this thing is contained and a vaccine is found. The fatality rate is being reported anywhere from 0.5%-3.5%. Some scientists believe there's plenty of unreported/undiagnosed cases. If true, the fatality rate declines even more.

So tell me, past the initial and irrational reaction any human has when they first hear a potential castastrophe, why do I need to be concerned? I have trust in those scientists, politicians, health system, etc.. to get the job done as per usual.

I get people being overly concerned, especially those with kids. But I don't get letting fear cause illogical thinking. Odds are those bright men and women keep us all safe, or atleast nearly all of us.

I guess I don't understand the question. My response has always been that this bears monitoring, that we need to rely on robust infrastructure designed to control these situations, and that we should heed good advice (particularly hygiene and travel). But - and this gets to the original reason I was even posting in this thread, straw man hyperbolic arguments - who is "letting fear cause illogical thinking?"

CNN International@cnni

38% of Americans wouldn't buy Corona beer "under any circumstances" because of the coronavirus, according to a recent survey.

SmokinSmileEyeroll

Amazing. Who are these people?

I am convinced there is a pandemic coming in the near future that will wipe out a large portion of the population. Earth is already over the carrying capacity for humans, imo, and continues to grow at a ridiculous rate. The population has essentially doubled over the past 40 years. If we continue to find cures and/or slow progression of disease this propagates the population even more. There will always be diseases, especially viruses, that are resistant to treatment. When things are out of whack, nature has a strange way of correcting them, ie overpopulation.

What should we call it, though, when something like that HAPPENS to humanity? Without a name, we would all just be screaming "what is HAPPENING?" So what would we call this pandemic when it HAPPENS? The Phenomenon? The Occasion? The Incident? The Event? Maybe we should employ a clever screenwriter to come up with something snappier.

I thought you were a Kentucky guy, not a Duke guy?

Oh boy. There are a lot of dumb mofos out there.

On a theoretical level, something like that might end up, in the long term, being a good thing for humanity.

On a practical level, living through it would be a ****ing nightmare of unheard of proportions.
Doomsday preppers everywhere be like:
deadwholeamoeba-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Well I got 61 years in so I’m good. It would kill me if I couldn’t get to gym and get my workout in.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I guess I don't understand the question. My response has always been that this bears monitoring, that we need to rely on robust infrastructure designed to control these situations, and that we should heed good advice (particularly hygiene and travel). But - and this gets to the original reason I was even posting in this thread, straw man hyperbolic arguments - who is "letting fear cause illogical thinking?"

Amazing. Who are these people?

What should we call it, though, when something like that HAPPENS to humanity? Without a name, we would all just be screaming "what is HAPPENING?" So what would we call this pandemic when it HAPPENS? The Phenomenon? The Occasion? The Incident? The Event? Maybe we should employ a clever screenwriter to come up with something snappier.
The Black Death was a good one.... maybe The Black Death 2.0 (I'm baaaaaaack).

Everyday I'm stuck in rush hour traffic I (not seriously) think to myself "we need a new plague."
I think like that with each trip to Walmart. i hate it so much.

The wife and I will Rochambeau with hours worked during the week, and loser has to do the Walmart shopping.

Is it that bad,I have it, but not watched it yet.

going to save myself 2 hours.
Give it a watch, some people I know liked it...but I wasn’t impressed. Granted I just watched the first two prior to watching it... and those are ****ing classics.

Actually the WHO says many cases especially in China are not being reported because symptoms were mild and recovery quick. Actual death is expected to be .3-1.0%. Closer to normal flu death rates.
Normally flu is .095%. so that's still 3 to 10x deadlier.

Lol, worked out at 5-15-530 this morning, and I have a conference call here in 30 mins unfortunately. I went a little hard last night, and I need my mind limber this morning.
I drank entirely too much last night (went downtown, we ran up a 130 dollar bill with a group of friends(our cut was 130)), got up early and did 5 miles (live next to a HS track and it's open to the public), about to leave for work. F'n Kentuckians, play and work hard.

Italy closing down all school and universities for 2 weeks.

This is becoming very similar to the computer game Pandemic.

DismalCharmingAustrianpinscher-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: jhmossy
Chicago State canceled its final two games of the regular season. Given they are 0-14 on conference and 4-25 overall and their final trip was out to Washington and Utah, but still significant.

I don’t know why we can’t all just exercise caution and the vulnerable exercise extreme caution instead of just panic.

Last edited:
Chicago State canceled its final two games of the regular season. Given they are 0-14 on conference and 4-25 overall and their final trip was out to Washington and Utah, but still significant.

I don’t know why we can’t all just exercised caution and the vulnerable exercise extreme caution instead of just panic.

Good point. I would ask the national media but they’re all in a panic.

I don’t know why we can’t all just exercised caution and the vulnerable exercise extreme caution instead of just panic.
Do you think Chicago State cancelling a couple of road games is closer to panic or exercised caution?

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Do you think Chicago State cancelling a couple of road games is closer to panic or exercised caution?

Good question, for Chicago State individually maybe exercised caution. But they also are considering not going to the conference tournament in Vegas too. I think it just gives more ammo to the "panic crowd" which is going to point to Chicago State as an example teams should follow, or worse, the NCAA should follow.

Good question, for Chicago State individually maybe exercised caution. But they also are considering not going to the conference tournament in Vegas too. I think it just gives more ammo to the "panic crowd" which is going to point to Chicago State as an example teams should follow, or worse, the NCAA should follow.
I read a link the other day of somebody suggesting that the NCAA tournament should be played in front of no crowds. That would be a serious panic at this point, IMO. I sure hope that doesn't happen but it will be an extremely large number of people traveling from all over the country. You have to think that even one person being there with the flu would likely infect dozens more with it. Then when you multiply the 2.2 people per day infection rate you get some serious numbers rather quickly.

I do think the numbers of infection are probably much higher in reality than what are being reported. Atleast in the United States. It's supposedly more contagious than the regular flu, the incubation period is longer, it can survive longer outside of a host, etc. I don't think the precautions some companies/people/organizations are taking are quite panic like others in this topic seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT