ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
84 knows what he’s talking about. toonces 11, “thinning the herd”. Hopefully schooner listened to People who know more on coronovirus than he does and feels a bit better. I understand worrying about your family. Other than that, why worry? Had pnuemonia as a kid and survived.

ITT: people who have no idea how interconnected modern economies are, how pandemics work, or how to evaluate risk acting condescending. They're sort of right in at least one respect, though: this is hardly the largest threat to civilized society because it cannot measure up to rampant and deliberate ignorance.

Stole this from Dukebasketballreport, which is good for this sort of thing...A lot of rather educated folks. This from someone who specializes in respiratory virus.

Still not that concerned.

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).
2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

In my opinion, a better way to protect oneself would be to do the following:

1) Avoid places with lots of people
2) Avoid people who are sick
3) Wash your hands or Purell frequently
4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
1) Cough into the crook of the elbow, not into the hands
2) Purell or wash your hands immediately after blowing your nose
3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
4) use Clorox wipes to wipe down door handles frequently
5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.

Stole this from Dukebasketballreport, which is good for this sort of thing...A lot of rather educated folks. This from someone who specializes in respiratory virus.

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).
2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.
tl;dr

giphy.gif

A play in four parts.

Scene 1. Crappy Davenpot tries fishing for a political tiff and posts supposed "facts" that support his narrative.

Death rate no worse than the common flu strains. More contagious apparently. Meh, media blowing it out of proportion. Very young and old most susceptible.
And the Dims are trying to politicize coronovirus now. Unbelievable. Should be tarred and feathered.

Scene 2. No one took the bait. Crappy Davenpot, still fishing, next relies on extreme historical example as point of contrast.

Tell me, who are the 2% dying from coronovirus? Very young? Very old? Very healthy? Not healthy and have health problems already? Smokers?
Not concerned. If the the death rate hits 25% like the Bubonic plague in the 1400’s, let me know.

Scene 3. Few take the bait. Perhaps devastated that fishing is not working, Crappy Davenpot relies on an anecdote and unnamed "People who know more" to back up his position.

84 knows what he’s talking about. toonces 11, “thinning the herd”. Hopefully schooner listened to People who know more on coronovirus than he does and feels a bit better. I understand worrying about your family. Other than that, why worry? Had pnuemonia as a kid and survived.

Scene 4. In response to post from someone with relevant experience who contradicts two of his supposed facts from earlier (death rate and contagiousness), Crappy Davenpot claims victory.

Someone with actual knowledge^^^^^^^^^.
Thanks for posting Dude1.
The media is pathetic.

Fin.

I will add that you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you're healthy and have healthy lungs. Most people in China smoke like chimneys and they have horrific air quality so it's believed that their death rate is that much higher because of those factors. Still though. It's able to be transmitted very easily and there are quite long incubation periods. You can be a carrier without even knowing it and transmit it to dozens of people. That's what frightening.
Also, they eat tiger penis.

Stole this from Rupp Rafters, which is good for this sort of thing. A lot of rather semi-macho folks over there;

Corona Virus - Pfft! What ever became of the swine flu? Bird flu? Mad cow disease? Shark attacks?
Also, we ALL know that Higgins has it out for us.”

A play in four parts.

Scene 1. Crappy Davenpot tries fishing for a political tiff and posts supposed "facts" that support his narrative.

Scene 2. No one took the bait. Crappy Davenpot, still fishing, next relies on extreme historical example as point of contrast.

Scene 3. Few take the bait. Perhaps devastated that fishing is not working, Crappy Davenpot relies on an anecdote and unnamed "People who know more" to back up his position.

Scene 4. In response to post from someone with relevant experience who contradicts two of his supposed facts from earlier (death rate and contagiousness), Crappy Davenpot claims victory.

Fin.

You know what I posted on Rupp, about your posts?

That.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Stole this from Rupp Rafters, which is good for this sort of thing. A lot of rather semi-macho folks over there;

Corona Virus - Pfft! What ever became of the swine flu? Bird flu? Mad cow disease? Shark attacks?
Also, we ALL know that Higgins has it out for us.”

That is spectacular:)

Reactions: Random UK Fan
A play in four parts.

Fin.

Funny guy. Should check ur facts. Must work in media.
Nervous Nellies lol.

There is a 5000+ post thread over on the mainboard and that's where I've gotten the majority of my information from. There is a poster in there who actually works in the Nebraska Medical Center where all Americans who have come down with the virus are being sent. If I recall correctly, he is an ED provider. He periodically updates the thread to let everybody know where they stand. Here are his most recent posts that have a little bit of an update on what they know and are dealing with;

The only reason we don't see it here in the states yet is because we are not testing for it. We have seen several "sick" people who had flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu with a past exposure history that would warrant testing for coronavirus, but we were informed that we can not test them because they were "not sick enough to be admitted" by the big wigs. This pissed several of us providers off are . On top of that currently dealing with the CDC and the Department of Health and Human services has shown me how ill prepared they currently are. Luckily it appears most large Hospital groups are starting to take the lead on this.
Just to let everyone know I'm not as worried about the actually virus as I once was seeing it up close. I think it will tax our healthcare system but won't break it - Yesterday at 5:26 PM

Just a quick update. 2 of the 3 people in the bio-containment unit (medical/ICU unit) were healthy enough today to discharge out of the unit back to the quarantine unit leaving just one of the 14 who are positive still in a hospital room. For those who don't know the quarantine unit at Nebraska Med is kinda like a dorm floor. - Yesterday at 4:16 PM

I thought I'd post a little update. So we currently have 14 coronavirus patients at my hospital. We are learning a lot about the virus. (All of what I post has been reported in the news so no hipaa issues). So far 4 of the patients who have tested positive have no symptoms and have not had any symptoms since admission. 6 of the patients have mild to moderate 'cold' symptoms including runny nose, cough, etc. 3 of the patients are currently housed in the bio-containment unit which is a medical unit that can also act ICU. These 3 are stable right now but have progressively worsened over the last few days. These 3 were taken to the unit right when they got to Omaha because they were considered high risk due to age, health etc and had very mild symptoms when they arrived. Even through this is a small group, the virus seems to be acting similar to what we have seen in other countries. Under 60 healthy non smokers are not really affected, but older not very healthy people or smokers are at more risk.
I will try to post some more later today on how unorganized the different federal groups such as the CDC have been along with some other things. - Tuesday at 10:29 AM

Reactions: Big_Blue79
There is a 5000+ post thread over on the mainboard and that's where I've gotten the majority of my information from. There is a poster in there who actually works in the Nebraska Medical Center where all Americans who have come down with the virus are being sent. If I recall correctly, he is an ED provider. He periodically updates the thread to let everybody know where they stand. Here are his most recent posts that have a little bit of an update on what they know and are dealing with;

The only reason we don't see it here in the states yet is because we are not testing for it. We have seen several "sick" people who had flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu with a past exposure history that would warrant testing for coronavirus, but we were informed that we can not test them because they were "not sick enough to be admitted" by the big wigs. This pissed several of us providers off are . On top of that currently dealing with the CDC and the Department of Health and Human services has shown me how ill prepared they currently are. Luckily it appears most large Hospital groups are starting to take the lead on this.
Just to let everyone know I'm not as worried about the actually virus as I once was seeing it up close. I think it will tax our healthcare system but won't break it - Yesterday at 5:26 PM

Just a quick update. 2 of the 3 people in the bio-containment unit (medical/ICU unit) were healthy enough today to discharge out of the unit back to the quarantine unit leaving just one of the 14 who are positive still in a hospital room. For those who don't know the quarantine unit at Nebraska Med is kinda like a dorm floor. - Yesterday at 4:16 PM

I thought I'd post a little update. So we currently have 14 coronavirus patients at my hospital. We are learning a lot about the virus. (All of what I post has been reported in the news so no hipaa issues). So far 4 of the patients who have tested positive have no symptoms and have not had any symptoms since admission. 6 of the patients have mild to moderate 'cold' symptoms including runny nose, cough, etc. 3 of the patients are currently housed in the bio-containment unit which is a medical unit that can also act ICU. These 3 are stable right now but have progressively worsened over the last few days. These 3 were taken to the unit right when they got to Omaha because they were considered high risk due to age, health etc and had very mild symptoms when they arrived. Even through this is a small group, the virus seems to be acting similar to what we have seen in other countries. Under 60 healthy non smokers are not really affected, but older not very healthy people or smokers are at more risk.
I will try to post some more later today on how unorganized the different federal groups such as the CDC have been along with some other things. - Tuesday at 10:29 AM
I saw a picture of @JimboBBN and it provided me with ED for about a month.

My stock portfolio took a pretty decent hit the past few days which is more concerning to me than the actual health effects of the virus.
Not me. I have a SEP IRA which is a retirement fund where you can put in up to 25% of your yearly salary into. I just got my taxes completed so I now know where I stand. I'm very happy to be buying in when the markets take a 10%+ dip.

But yeah, otherwise I don't really want to see this lead to any kind of major recession. I'm happy to be selfish for the short term but the long term outlook isn't good for me and many others.

My stock portfolio took a pretty decent hit the past few days which is more concerning to me than the actual health effects of the virus.
This virus scare IMO was nothing more than a reason to take some gains off the table. With the run up we’ve seen, assets we’re getting pretty expensive.

I feel like there have been a ton of disease outbreaks around the world the past few years that are supposed to wipe out large populations. It's huge news for a few weeks/months, then you just stop hearing about them completely. RollLaugh

I feel like there have been a ton of disease outbreaks around the world the past few years that are supposed to wipe out large populations. It's huge news for a few weeks/months, then you just stop hearing about them completely. RollLaugh
This is kinda where I am. This isn't the first time we are supposed to be freaking out of an illness. I'm not gonna get worked up about it.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Not me. I have a SEP IRA which is a retirement fund where you can put in up to 25% of your yearly salary into. I just got my taxes completed so I now know where I stand. I'm very happy to be buying in when the markets take a 10%+ dip.

But yeah, otherwise I don't really want to see this lead to any kind of major recession. I'm happy to be selfish for the short term but the long term outlook isn't good for me and many others.
I sold most of my positions but will be buying back in soon when it bottoms out.

I sold most of my positions but will be buying back in soon when it bottoms out.
I bought some XOM on Monday and it’s already down $5. I’m holding it for the long term but it sucks knowing that if I had just waited a few days I would’ve gotten some more shares. Don’t plan on selling anything in the meantime though.

I'm rolling over my 401k and managed to cash out of the old one near the market high. The check issuance was delayed (for several reasons), so my money is now being reinvested after this slight bear market. I'm not saying I'd vote for coronavirus in a primary, but I'd at least hear out its health care reform plans.

Reactions: tw3301
This virus scare IMO was nothing more than a reason to take some gains off the table. With the run up we’ve seen, assets we’re getting pretty expensive.

Yup, it's just the {global elite, (((joos))), NWO, cabal, demonRATS, MSM, powers that be} instituting a {fake, false flag, intentional, overhyped} narrative for the sake of {controlling the world's financial markets, sacrificing babies to Mordoch, instituting white genocide, supporting Zionists}, as is made clear by {this anecdote, this blogger, AM radio, my exaggerated opinion of my own self-worth}.

So close. If you change the bold to "have the capacity to, especially without intervening efforts," then you're right back in line with reality.

Yup, it's just the {global elite, (((joos))), NWO, cabal, demonRATS, MSM, powers that be} instituting a {fake, false flag, intentional, overhyped} narrative for the sake of {controlling the world's financial markets, sacrificing babies to Mordoch, instituting white genocide, supporting Zionists}, as is made clear by {this anecdote, this blogger, AM radio, my exaggerated opinion of my own self-worth}.

So close. If you change the bold to "have the capacity to, especially without intervening efforts," then you're right back in line with reality.

Your spelling of "joos" made me snarf up water through my nostrils:)

It's over. We're all going to die. Quit your job, empty your accounts and enjoy life while you can.

Mom always said, "Don't play with your virus in the house!"

Some of you just didn't listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT