ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Season Thread

8ehb8l.jpg

You guys are killing me with these defeatist attitudes. @JC for 3 BBN needs you!
They'll be the 'VOLLLS' when they leave, with a 3rd straight L.

Despite the disappointing outcome Wednesday night, I'm still optimistic about this game. ut looks one dimensional lately. Their offense is Knecht and then there's a big drop off. Vescovi was the only other player in double figures (w/10 pts) Tuesday night. They don't seem to have multiple 'scorers' on the floor. UK does. They simply have to rebound and limit 2nd chance baskets for ut.

No hack and grab teams are coming to Rupp and getting away with that style of defense, either. Barnes will be bitching up a storm.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
They'll be the 'VOLLLS' when they leave, with a 3rd straight L.

Despite the disappointing outcome Wednesday night, I'm still optimistic about this game. ut looks one dimensional lately. Their offense is Knecht and then there's a big drop off. Vescovi was the only other player in double figures (w/10 pts) Tuesday night. They don't seem to have multiple 'scorers' on the floor. UK does. They simply have to rebound and limit 2nd chance baskets for ut.

No hack and grab teams are coming to Rupp and getting away with that style of defense, either. Barnes will be bitching up a storm.
Actually, UT was one dimensional in only one game...
Having said that, thanks for answering the Call!

The gamecocks are tough huh?

They really get into you.
They are a good defensive team. We had some layups at the beginning of the game that didn't go in and I think that effected team confidence. (my observation) Players were turning down open shots and they needed to chunk that tater instead of passing.

You have to be able to fight through adversity and we clearly didn't do that against SCAR.

Well ut does have 5 losses so just maybe they were one dimensional more than once?
I don't think so JC. Some of those teams were elite teams and we just came up short. We have not been beat by dbl digits once.

On the other hand y'all have shown a weak defense in almost every game. However, this is at Rupp, so who knows.

They are a good defensive team. We had some layups at the beginning of the game that didn't go in and I think that effected team confidence. (my observation) Players were turning down open shots and they needed to chunk that tater instead of passing.

You have to be able to fight through adversity and we clearly didn't do that against SCAR.
Credit to their coach.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I don't think so JC. Some of those teams were elite teams and we just came up short. We have not been beat by dbl digits once.

On the other hand y'all have shown a weak defense in almost every game. However, this is at Rupp, so who knows.
OK, maybe just two dimensional against Miss St.

I guess it's lucky for us we don't have to play a two dimensional team Saturday.
Too be fair, we only have to stop one guy.

Vescovi seems to have been snipped.

I do expect lil Z to go off for three all game.

I guess it's lucky for us we don't have to play a two dimensional team Saturday.
No, you have to have more than just Knecht contributing on offense and you have try to contain UK's offense without the typical ut hacking/grabbing defense.

Too be fair, we only have to stop one guy.

Vescovi seems to have been snipped.

I do expect lil Z to go off for three all game.
That's like wanting to keep the mosquitos out of a home that has no windows or doors, just openings.

Yeah, we are evaluating whether to even guard "Big Z". After his offensive clinic he put on UF total of ofer from the field and a total of 1 pt. Just think if you had him there for 40 minutes, he might score 6 or 7 points. 😮

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
No, you have to have more than just Knecht contributing on offense and you have try to contain UK's offense without the typical ut hacking/grabbing defense.
th

I'm sure we can count on y'all's 6th man to have an impact.

so according to Trey Wallace the NCAA is coming after basketball program as well. Apparently our assistant committed some kind of minor infraction that we thought we handled internally but the NCAA is picking it back up since they can't nail us on any NIL stuff. Apparently it's very silly what he did and crazy we are going to even have to defend it.

so according to Trey Wallace the NCAA is coming after basketball program as well. Apparently our assistant committed some kind of minor infraction that we thought we handled internally but the NCAA is picking it back up since they can't nail us on any NIL stuff. Apparently it's very silly what he did and crazy we are going to even have to defend it.
AB, do you understand we (Vols) have declared war on the NCAA? The little infraction means nothing. The B1G has formed an alliance with the SEC. We are trying to emasculate the NCAA for good.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
AB, do you understand we (Vols) have declared war on the NCAA? The little infraction means nothing. The B1G has formed an alliance with the SEC. We are trying to emasculate the NCAA for good.
yeah if we win the case it won't matter

Good.

Reactions: Scotty00
Anybody else going to the game tomorrow? Deller? ABVol? Anybody?

Cal is reverting back to his tired old 1980's post up and iso offense. It's just a matter of time before the court will he shrunk and we'll be struggling to score 70. This is Cal every year.
Maybe he's thinking a slower pace can help the team play better D. No idea.

That is not happening at all. The offense has not changed one bit since the beginning of the year. UK scored 83 in regulation against UF, and that was with two guys out, Thiero's back problems flaring up, and Tre Mitchell essentially taking the day off. If Mitchell has just an average day, UK scores well over 90 in regulation.

There was no playing through the post whatsoever, during the game. It was the same spread, drive, kick, and swing the ball that UK has been doing the entire year.

It is 100% on the defense. Has nothing to do with the offense at all. Pick and roll D is getting shred, and UK has no ability to stay in front of their man. Plus Sheppard continues to sag off his man every time down. Infuriating to watch. In no way, shape, or form is offense the problem.
No playing through the post whatsoever? That's all Mitchell is doing right now. If you don't see that, then we're watching a different game.

Not only that, but the passing has stopped. Now, it's whoever has the ball, tries to go one on 3.

There was only 2 fast breaks the last game, were there any at all against uSC? Alabama had no issue pushing the ball against uSC, they ran the ball at high pace all game long, why are we allowing the opponent to dictate the pace of the game?

We were shooting a lot more threes before, that has taken a dive now.

We are a fast paced, finesse team, but the second we play a physical team, we bow down and revert to iso and post up crap.

Last edited:
Maybe he's thinking a slower pace can help the team play better D. No idea.
The only chance this team has to do any damage at all, is to play a full court, high possession game, with this awful defense, the last thing you want to do, is slow the pace down.
Apparently Cal has forgotten that, or doesn't realize it.

No playing through the post whatsoever? That's all mitchell is doing right now. If you don't see that, then we're watching a different game.

Not only that, but the pasding has stopped. Now, it's whoever has the ball, tries to go one on 3.

There was only 2 fast breaks the last game, were there any at all against uSC? Alabama had no issue pushing the ball against uSC, they ran the ball at high pace all game long, why are we allowing the opponent to dictate the pace of the game?

We were shooting a lot more threes before, that has taken a dive now.

We are a fast paced, finesse team, but the second we play a physical team, we bow down and revert to iso and post up crap.
I don't think that is accurate...Mitchell has had lots of post touches since the first game this year. He gets plenty of post touches. Doesn't mean UK is running their offense through the post. Heck, go back and watch the highlights against Miami, Mitchell was dominating in the post.

Mitchell was 0/5 from 3 against FL, and they were all from drive and kick or pick and roll.

Not sure what you are seeing, but I don't think one person would agree that UKs offense is now different.

The only chance this team has to do any damage at all, is to play a full court, high possession game, with this awful defense, the last thing you want to do, is slow the pace down.
Apparently Cal has forgotten that, or doesn't realize it.
You must feel like Adolf Hitler felt when The Allies were entering Berlin. GBO!!

I don't think that is accurate...Mitchell has had lots of post touches since the first game this year. He gets plenty of post touches. Doesn't mean UK is running their offense through the post. Heck, go back and watch the highlights against Miami, Mitchell was dominating in the post.

Mitchell was 0/5 from 3 against FL, and they were all from drive and kick or pick and roll.

Not sure what you are seeing, but I don't think one person would agree that UKs offense is now different.
I think you're misunderstanding me, I say that, because you are asking me to look at the Miami game. Well, back then, UK was racing up and down the court, spraying the ball around to open shooters and drilling teams with great spacing.

Now, the offense only does that a few times a game. Cal is allowing teams to slow the pace to a half court game and now we're seeing mainly iso and post ups.

In the South Carolina game, there was no passing, it was just 'my-turn' basketball. Whoever had the ball, just tried to go one on 3 on straight line drives and kept getting swatted at the rim. I believe we only took 11 threes. He played something like 30+ different line-ups.

Cal has gone and messed with what was working. I get it, teams are doing things to stymie fast breaks, but I see two issues with that:
1) Alabama still manages to play fast break basketball against everyone they play
2) Everyone we play is still getting a ton of rebounds. If they were really trying to stop our run outs, that wouldn't be the case.

ADVERTISEMENT