ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Season Thread

UK fans. Is Cal going to unleash the Sheppard/Dillingham combo in the tournament and play them over Wagner/Reeves late into games or are they going to get the Ulis/Booker treatment?

Hopefully he rides the hot hand. All 4 are really good. I like the way Sheppard runs the point though. Hopefully Reed starts getting to run the show more and DJ moves off the ball when both are on the court.

Wow what was a crazy game. Florida got a bit lucky for sure. UF vs UK is fireworks man. Unfortunately neither of us can play high level D.
I think both games had a bit of a flukey result. Florida shoulda had game 1 and UK should have had game 2. UKs offense is a thing of beauty though. Their ball movement is really something else. Shit makes me tired just watching Fl try to defend em.

Wow what was a crazy game. Florida got a bit lucky for sure. UF vs UK is fireworks man. Unfortunately neither of us can play high level D.
I think both games had a bit of a flukey result. Florida shoulda had game 1 and UK should have had game 2. UKs offense is a thing of beauty though. Their ball movement is really something else. Shit makes me tired just watching Fl try to defend em.
I think you have a coach. He's young and he made some great adjustments. During the halftime interview, he brought up players driving into too far and wanted them to kick it out. Start of the second half they did it again and he adjusted to bring UGO out of the lane. Great move.

Great win by you guys. We could have closed it with one FT at the end. But Dude made the 3.

"One series of events." - Sports fan.

GG. Maybe we'll get a tie-breaker in the SECT?

Reactions: 954gator
I think you have a coach. He's young and he made some great adjustments. During the halftime interview, he brought up players driving into the lane and kick it out. Start of the second half they did that a couple of times and he adjusted to bring UGO out of the lane. Great move.

Great win by you guys. We could have closed it with one FT at the end. But Dude made the 3.

GG. Maybe we'll get a tie-breaker in the SECT?
I like our coach for sure, and I also think we were extremely fortunate in the portal (obviously thats on Golden as well).
We hit the lotto with some of these guys, but especially Pullin. Man it's been a while since I've had as much confidence in a PG as I do with him.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Stop exaggerating lmao. You guys have one hell of a team dude. I feel like UK fans can be so extreme. Either waaay too cocky or waaay too down on their team. It's ok to be really good and have off nights.
One hell of a team is '96, '97, '98, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017 and maybe 2019, but this team here, is regressing, just like the last 2. By the time the dust settles, we're looking at 10 losses going into the NCAAT. That’s pretty bad if you ask me.
Cal stymied his own high octane offense and reverted to post ups and iso playground shit. Trying to beat grown as men with freshmen, is no longer a thing and that fact is going to be on dudplay for the remainder of Cal's tenure.

Stop exaggerating lmao. You guys have one hell of a team dude. I feel like UK fans can be so extreme. Either waaay too cocky or waaay too down on their team. It's ok to be really good and have off nights.
It is a bit dramatic, but we feel like your football fans feel right now. That’s not a discredit to FL. They played a great game. It’s more just the realization that Kentucky isn’t Kentucky anymore.

Last edited:
One hell of a team is '96, '97, '98, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017 and maybe 2019, but this team here, is regressing, just like the last 2. By the time the dust settles, we're looking at 10 losses going into the NCAAT. That’s pretty bad if you ask me.
Cal stymied his own high octane offense and reverted to post ups and iso playground shit. Trying to beat grown as men with freshmen, is no longer a thing and that fact is going to be on dudplay for the remainder of Cal's tenure.
So you're saying Offense was the problem vs Florida? Cmon now. Only thing Cal should have done was have his team foul at the end of regulation IMO. The issue with UK (and UF for that matter) is defense.

I do agree with you on the age/experience topic. Even with the best freshman, it's a longshot. You have to have a nice mix of experience and talent IMO. Especially now with the way the transfer portal is.

Reactions: della
1RUd.gif

I think you and some others previously posting in this thread simply underestimated how difficult the grind of conference play would be. Ya'll lost to UNCw and expected to go through the SEC with like 1-2 losses. That's unrealistic. Uk has a lot of talent and if they get things going before the tournament they can play with anyone.

They are amazing on offense man. They just need to figure out ways of getting more stops. Same as Fl does.

Last edited:
It is a bit dramatic, but we feel like your football fans feel right now. That’s not a discredit to FL. They played a great game. It’s more just the realization that Kentucky isn’t Kentucky anymore.
I mean yeah if you're comparing now to that 10 year or so span when UK had like the best (if not near the best) roster in all of CBB every year sure. That's just a bit unrealistic to achieve in this era though IMO.

It's not as if UK isn't stacked every year, but if you expect every year to have John Wall and Anthony Davis types at every position...you'll just always be disappointed. Lower your standards a smidge and just enjoy watching basketball again!

Reactions: kyjeff1
Not gonna be pretty for my guys. Can't even talk shit anymore.
Jimbo,

Get ahold of yourself. The difference between you talking smack about the Vols and deep despair is a shingle free throw. Hold the Line Soldier! That's an order!

So you're saying Offense was the problem vs Florida? Cmon now. Only thing Cal should have done was have his team foul at the end of regulation IMO. The issue with UK (and UF for that matter) is defense.

I do agree with you on the age/experience topic. Even with the best freshman, it's a longshot. You have to have a nice mix of experience and talent IMO. Especially now with the way the transfer portal is.
Cal is reverting back to his tired old 1980's post up and iso offense. It's just a matter of time before the court will he shrunk and we'll be struggling to score 70. This is Cal every year.

I think you and some others previously posting in this thread simply underestimated how difficult the grind of conference play would be. Ya'll lost to UNCw and expected to go through the SEC with like 1-2 losses. That's unrealistic. Uk has a lot of talent and if they get things going before the tournament they can play with anyone.

They are amazing on offense man. They just need to figure out ways of getting more stops. Same as Fl does.
Wait, nobody thought UK was going to cruise through the SEC. I predicted 11 losses for this team.

But here's the deal, UK shouldn't be losing at home, not when you consistently have more talent and 20,000 rabid fans in your corner. But Cal is at the point where he's losing multiple games a year in rupp and a lot of them are to bad teams.

The days of winning with freshmen, are over. The game is more physical and when you look at UK's losses, you see a common denominator, UK wasn't tough enough, or physical enough. High school kids can no longer just step on a college court and out tough college juniors and seniors.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
I personally think UF is a better team than the Gamecocks or atleast more talented so it really bothers me how we blew them out at home and then lost to the cocks

I personally think UF is a better team than the Gamecocks or atleast more talented so it really bothers me how we blew them out at home and then lost to the cocks
I think SCARS's coach should get coach of the year. He has done a lot with what he has.

Cal is reverting back to his tired old 1980's post up and iso offense. It's just a matter of time before the court will he shrunk and we'll be struggling to score 70. This is Cal every year.
That is not happening at all. The offense has not changed one bit since the beginning of the year. UK scored 83 in regulation against UF, and that was with two guys out, Thiero's back problems flaring up, and Tre Mitchell essentially taking the day off. If Mitchell has just an average day, UK scores well over 90 in regulation.

There was no playing through the post whatsoever, during the game. It was the same spread, drive, kick, and swing the ball that UK has been doing the entire year.

It is 100% on the defense. Has nothing to do with the offense at all. Pick and roll D is getting shred, and UK has no ability to stay in front of their man. Plus Sheppard continues to sag off his man every time down. Infuriating to watch. In no way, shape, or form is offense the problem.

That is not happening at all. The offense has not changed one bit since the beginning of the year. UK scored 83 in regulation against UF, and that was with two guys out, Thiero's back problems flaring up, and Tre Mitchell essentially taking the day off. If Mitchell has just an average day, UK scores well over 90 in regulation.

There was no playing through the post whatsoever, during the game. It was the same spread, drive, kick, and swing the ball that UK has been doing the entire year.

It is 100% on the defense. Has nothing to do with the offense at all. Pick and roll D is getting shred, and UK has no ability to stay in front of their man. Plus Sheppard continues to sag off his man every time down. Infuriating to watch. In no way, shape, or form is offense the problem.
Hopefully the Vols light up that light defense and then clamp down on UK's offense.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Hopefully the Vols light up that light defense and then clamp down on UK's offense.
Unless Cal has some type of defensive revelation between Wed night's fiasco and Sat night's game against UT, your team will have no problem dissecting UKs defense.

Knecht, Vescovi, and Zeigler are very worrisome to me against this UK defense.

Unless Cal has some type of defensive revelation between Wed night's fiasco and Sat night's game against UT, your team will have no problem dissecting UKs defense.

Knecht, Vescovi, and Zeigler are very worrisome to me against this UK defense.
8ehb8l.jpg

You guys are killing me with these defeatist attitudes. @JC for 3 BBN needs you!

• Haha
We have to have a complement of players. IIRC, UK didn't sub in the last 10 minutes of the UF game. They looked tired.

UT is deep and physical.

We have to have a complement of players. IIRC, UK didn't sub in the last 10 minutes of the UF game. They looked tired.

UT is deep and physical.
One of your guys looked like he got hurt during the game. Who was that and what happened?

One of your guys looked like he got hurt during the game. Who was that and what happened?
I'm guessing you're talking about Adou Thiero. He's been struggling with back issues.

Dillingham went out for a couple of plays with cramps. Again, they were tired at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT