ADVERTISEMENT

Price of Milk and Eggs in your area?

smart man my friend

one of the problems with people today is the fact they have no understanding of the value of a dollar
that is one of the main reasons "savings" in our country is almost non-existent

Paying a nickel too much for toilet paper is the reason?

that is one item
how many items do you buy a year? a decade? a lifetime?

a penny is only a penny until you multiply it every day
I agree when it comes to things like buying lunch everyday, buying a $3 coffee everyday, etc. but for store purchased items that I only get once a week or so I prefer to go with the brands I like best. For myself, I’ve tried most every brand of toilet paper, eggs, whatever and choose to go with the one I think is best for me.

Lot of times the product is the same / made in the same factory, and only the packaging is different...

No doubt. There are some things that are definitely better than others. Like frozen fries, toilet paper juices. Stuff like that. I love me some pickles, but I get the cheap store brand because they are just as good for significantly less money. I am mostly talking about stuff that is $.30 - $.60 difference, even a dollar.

I'm just the opposite, if i want a good steak i'm going to the butcher and get what i want. If i want beer, i'm buying it. Now i don't go store to store chasing down a price, but if certain fruits on sale i get it. If something i buy often is on sale, i get extra.

When you get steak, definitely spend the extra dollar. I am more talking about when I go into the store undecided about what we're having for dinner. Which happens too often, but oh well. If chicken breasts are on sale, I'll go with that, ribs, porkchops, same deal. Beer, I will be happy with a few different kinds of beer. So if one is on special and it is a good difference in the price of the other, I'll go with that.

I agree when it comes to things like buying lunch everyday, buying a $3 coffee everyday, etc. but for store purchased items that I only get once a week or so I prefer to go with the brands I like best. For myself, I’ve tried most every brand of toilet paper, eggs, whatever and choose to go with the one I think is best for me.

i am basically a frugal person (my friends call me a tight wad)
i do agree some things you pay more for because you like them or in the case of toilet paper, it just feels better

two things i do not skimp on in life are toilet paper and steaks

Reactions: toonces11
Over a lifetime? Probably talking about a couple hundred bucks.

take one month and write down a nickle for every single item you buy, then multiply it by 12, then multiply it by 50 and see the results
we are not even figuring in compound interest or investments with the savings

many people think the same thing on multiplying a penny every day

When I shop I usually buy the product I like, but use the price tag to determine which "size" box is the best deal. Typically the larger quantity you buy, the better the "per ounce" or "per unit/each" price is, but sometimes its not... Cereal is an example. Sometimes the smaller boxes are on sale, and the price per ounce is cheaper than the big "bulk" box size, so you're getting more bang for your buck buying 2 small boxes instead of 1 large box.

That said, I usually just buy whatever brand I prefer anyway. We shop at Costco for the main stuff we can buy in bulk, like toilet paper, paper towels, dog food, chicken (party wings that come in 8 individually separated vacuum-sealed bags of 1lbs each, that we freeze), etc. Then we try to buy the non-bulk stuff like eggs, fruit, veggies, etc. either at a farmer's market or at King Soopers (Kroger).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
We don't have any children, but I still buy everything that is cheapest per ounce or any other unit of measurement.

It's probably a good thing I don't have kids. I would absolutely break down everything they consume or use to the penny.

Then I'd probably give them a complex on consuming too much.
I don't always buy the cheapest, but I usually check the price per ounce. My wife kills me when she doesn't check. Grass fed this, organic that. GD 2 organic chicken breast for 13 bucks!!! I can get 20 of those for 13 bucks at Sams Club. Some things I always buy a certain brand of though bc it tastes different.

take one month and write down a nickle for every single item you buy, then multiply it by 12, then multiply it by 50 and see the results
we are not even figuring in compound interest or investments with the savings

many people think the same thing on multiplying a penny every day

Edit: NVM, I don't wanna do this today. Saving money is good. If mico-saving makes you feel good, do it.

Last edited:
Edit: NVM, I don't wanna do this today. Saving money is good. If mico-saving makes you feel good, do it.

brooky i'll give you an easy example and leave it there

take 365 x how old you are x .05
then remember you are just 1 item

That's only like $600... after 3+ decades?
What's the return on the saved money during those 3+ decades? Winking

Do you remember when business would give out the loyalty cards where every time you bought something, you'd get a hole punch or marking? It would eventually add up right?

When I shop I usually buy the product I like, but use the price tag to determine which "size" box is the best deal. Typically the larger quantity you buy, the better the "per ounce" or "per unit/each" price is, but sometimes its not... Cereal is an example. Sometimes the smaller boxes are on sale, and the price per ounce is cheaper than the big "bulk" box size, so you're getting more bang for your buck buying 2 small boxes instead of 1 large box.

That said, I usually just buy whatever brand I prefer anyway. We shop at Costco for the main stuff we can buy in bulk, like toilet paper, paper towels, dog food, chicken (party wings that come in 8 individually separated vacuum-sealed bags of 1lbs each, that we freeze), etc. Then we try to buy the non-bulk stuff like eggs, fruit, veggies, etc. either at a farmer's market or at King Soopers (Kroger).
I've never heard of King Soopers before this.

brooky i'll give you an easy example and leave it there

take 365 x how old you are x .05
then remember you are just 1 item

Haha, I'm an accountant. I can do the maths. btw, your equation should be based on weeks, not days, because nobody buys groceries every day, but that's neither here nor there.

My point that I originally posted was too nuanced to bother arguing, so I dropped it. Immaterial is immaterial, regardless of volume. We would have been reduced to arguing how much is actually saved on which items and how many of those items and it would have gotten very anecdotal and circular. I can see da future.

Like I said, not worth the effort on either side. If small savings are important to somebody and they have the discipline to make those small savings accumulate into something significant to them, then more power to them.

$2,000 of savings is a lot... Unless it isn't. All relative.

Haha, I'm an accountant. I can do the maths. btw, your equation should be based on weeks, not days, because nobody buys groceries every day, but that's neither here nor there.

My point that I originally posted was too nuanced to bother arguing, so I dropped it. Immaterial is immaterial, regardless of volume. We would have been reduced to arguing how much is actually saved on which items and how many of those items and it would have gotten very anecdotal and circular. I can see da future.

Like I said, not worth the effort on either side. If small savings are important to somebody and they have the discipline to make those small savings accumulate into something significant to them, then more power to them.

$2,000 of savings is a lot... Unless it isn't. All relative.
PPl close to me think I'm too frugal. For me, it's not only security but a game of life. I guess I may put too much emphasis on saving, however, it never stops us from going on vacations on a whim or just spurging time to time. I like to think being tight in a lot of places allows me to over do it in other areas.

Again, I'm a huge fan of cheaper items. I don't see the reason to buy name brands. I actually make a living off of selling name brands and will never say any of this in public.

Reactions: brooky03
That's only like $600... after 3+ decades?

If the premise is saving $.05 on a gallon of milk, which I'd think a normal-ish person buys once a week, it'd be 52 x .05 x years. You'd save about $80 over 3 decades. Assuming people don't start buying milk on the reg until 20yo and they live to 80, that's $160 over a lifetime on one item.

That's the last bit of math I'll be doing in this thread (I think/hope).

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
PPl close to me think I'm too frugal. For me, it's not only security but a game of life. I guess I may put too much emphasis on saving, however, it never stops us from going on vacations on a whim or just spurging time to time. I like to think being tight in a lot of places allows me to over do it in other areas.

Again, I'm a huge fan of cheaper items. I don't see the reason to buy name brands. I actually make a living off of selling name brands and will never say any of this in public.

I'm frugal when it comes to discretionary spending. For necessities, the prices are often too close to bother worrying about. I'll buy tp and garbage bags in bulk and whatnot, but I don't sweat the small price difference between Glad and Hefty brand or Cottenelle and Charmin. If they're close in price, I might just grab whichever is closer to my face at that moment.

If the premise is saving $.05 on a gallon of milk, which I'd think a normal-ish person buys once a week, it'd be 52 x .05 x years. You'd save about $80 over 3 decades. Assuming people don't start buying milk on the reg until 20yo and they live to 80, that's $160 over a lifetime on one item.

Now go find 100,000 more items and you are at $8M!

I'm frugal when it comes to discretionary spending. For necessities, the prices are often too close to bother worrying about. I'll buy tp and garbage bags in bulk and whatnot, but I don't sweat the small price difference between Glad and Hefty brand or Cottenelle and Charmin. If they're close in price, I might just grab whichever is closer to my face at that moment.

:D

Reactions: brooky03
We interrupt the scheduled programming to watch Shaq in a mosh pit.
UglyWindingEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

nope, the premise is saving that .05 on as many items as you can in your lifetime

nope, the premise is saving that .05 on as many items as you can in your lifetime

Now go find 100,000 more items and you are at $8M!

i am a frugal person
i also look at the long term gains on almost everything

i will say this though
you can not save yourself rich, but you can spend yourself broke

I totally agree. I have been frugal all my life. On the spending yourself broke: if you cook your own hamburgers out in the yard instead of going to McDonalds. Get HBO instead of going out to the movie and then invest that saved money, by retirement age you want have to worry.

A little in the 1960/70's becomes a lot now. I have one stock that I put a little money (less than $200) into back in the 1980's, before the DOW average reached 2000. I just left it alone. Now it is worth a lot of money. You don't have to invest a lot, just get in the habit of doing it one little bit at a time. When the stock market plunges you ride it out. Never invest on emotion.

You start life working hard and saving pennies when you are young, invest wisely and leave it alone.

ADVERTISEMENT