ADVERTISEMENT

Plans for this summer?

I've never been camping in my life and have an irrational fear of B&B's. Hope that helps.
Well then what about the finer things to do in or around those places? Already have some Michelin Star restaurants lined up in Montreal. I like spending money.

That one’s rational.

Just to add to this, I've never been stung by a bee so I can only assume I'm deathly allergic and I've physically been bitten by a bird. So yeah.
You were bird bit and survived? I'd put you right up there with Rambo and jack bauer.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I don’t even think he farms if it’s all veggies and flowers. Sounds more like a gardener.
We've long said when asked that if you're from the city, we farm; if you're from the country, we garden. I don't truly care what the label is. If farmers' markets and farm tours recruit you, their opinion carries a bit more weight than whatever you are.

We've long said when asked that if you're from the city, we farm; if you're from the country, we garden. I don't truly care what the label is. If farmers' markets and farm tours recruit you, their opinion carries a bit more weight than whatever you are.
Farms have animals. Gardens have flowers and veggies. Jussayin.

Well, we have chickens and ducks, too, but I don't really care what you call it.
giphy.gif

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Here a question----do you basically have to have a greenhouse for micro's? Or are there areas where the climate is perfect for it. In KS its gets pretty damn hot.

Here a question----do you basically have to have a greenhouse for micro's? Or are there areas where the climate is perfect for it. In KS its gets pretty damn hot.
The micros have all been grown under grow lights inside during cold weather, then on the porch and in a cold frame (jankier than pic in link) attached to our house in warmer weather.

They start w/ the same seeds you would use for the full-size versions; you grow them in trays so the root system is shallow and the growth is quick but limited. Fast turnaround, high profit margin.

We got a federal grant for the high tunnel, which went up in early November. Part of the 5-year contract is that we grow in the soil, so other than temporarily putting trays in the aisles, it's not really conducive to micros. In 5 years, we'll have hanging baskets, shelves w/ trays, etc. And our coming trade war w/ the Netherlands will have led even NC to legalize wacky tabacky, so we'll start growing that (the federal contract would currently prevent that even in Colorado).

The solar shed (ours is similar to this pic), which just went up a few weeks ago, is a step closer to a proper greenhouse. We'll get it wired and insulated by the end of summer, including its own heat source, which will make it a full-blown greenhouse. That's where we will start seeds and grow micros from now on, so we have our dining room back.

Reactions: KisteK
The oils have changed the game. I could care less for flower much these days.
I hear the smell/trace reduction from leaf vapes to oils is as dramatic as the reduction from bongs to vapes.

The micros have all been grown under grow lights inside during cold weather, then on the porch and in a cold frame (jankier than pic in link) attached to our house in warmer weather.

They start w/ the same seeds you would use for the full-size versions; you grow them in trays so the root system is shallow and the growth is quick but limited. Fast turnaround, high profit margin.

We got a federal grant for the high tunnel, which went up in early November. Part of the 5-year contract is that we grow in the soil, so other than temporarily putting trays in the aisles, it's not really conducive to micros. In 5 years, we'll have hanging baskets, shelves w/ trays, etc. And our coming trade war w/ the Netherlands will have led even NC to legalize wacky tabacky, so we'll start growing that (the federal contract would currently prevent that even in Colorado).

The solar shed (ours is similar to this pic), which just went up a few weeks ago, is a step closer to a proper greenhouse. We'll get it wired and insulated by the end of summer, including its own heat source, which will make it a full-blown greenhouse. That's where we will start seeds and grow micros from now on, so we have our dining room back.
That looks totally legit. I think the solar shed would be ideal for myself-----at least one of these days.

That looks totally legit. I think the solar shed would be ideal for myself-----at least one of these days.
We were going to go w/ a full-fledged, more traditional greenhouse immediately after getting the reimbursement check from the feds, but we had concerns about its durability. It would be almost identical to the high tunnel in appearance, but w/ double-poly, a blower to inflate the two layers, and a heat source. And you still have to replace the poly every 4-6 years, so the solar shed is a better, sturdier long-term plan for us. It has a lean-to off the back for storage, more expansion possibilities, and greater versatility.

We were going to go w/ a full-fledged, more traditional greenhouse immediately after getting the reimbursement check from the feds, but we had concerns about its durability. It would be almost identical to the high tunnel in appearance, but w/ double-poly, a blower to inflate the two layers, and a heat source. And you still have to replace the poly every 4-6 years, so the solar shed is a better, sturdier long-term plan for us. It has a lean-to off the back for storage, more expansion possibilities, and greater versatility.
How susceptible is the traditional greenhouse to wind? I always wondered if something like that is covered under homeowners insurance. KS gets some pretty fierce winds. I would only be planning on smaller scale personal use,

How susceptible is the traditional greenhouse to wind? I always wondered if something like that is covered under homeowners insurance. KS gets some pretty fierce winds. I would only be planning on smaller scale personal use,
We added it to our insurance pretty easily b/c they're considered "temporary" structures.

If it's the style similar to the high tunnel in that link, being punctured by flying debris would be the biggest wind concern. The frame itself would withstand much more, but the poly can act like a sail of sorts, which could uproot it and twist it. We've been advised that in the event of a hurricane, we should preemptively cut the poly ourselves so that the frame is less likely to be damaged.

Like most construction, the sturdier the frame, the greater the ability to withstand winds. All bets are off when facing a hurricane or tornado, of course.

Our cold frame is built directly onto our house, facing south. It gets radiant heat from the house. It's anchored to, and partially sheltered by the house, as well. It's big enough for two people to stand in pretty comfortably. That's about as sturdy as you get until you get into freestanding, stick-built structures, and they're way cheaper, easier to do yourself, and it's easy enough to go bigger depending on your needs.

A lot of other cold frame styles are freestanding and really low to the ground (this one is recessed, even). We've probably had 15 of these over the years using old glass doors and even a really heavy old backboard salvaged from a gym renovation. It doesn't get much cheaper (and expendable), and the lower profile makes them pretty wind-resistant.

Reactions: toonces11
I just googled grand haven.....it looks amazing. If you aren't from that part of the country, it doesn't cross your mind there are areas like that. Ive heard of friends going to cool ass spots in wisc, mich, and minny----but it seems like a gamble for me b/c i need first hand knowledge that these places are legit. I kinda bit the bullet and went big with the St Regis in bora bora (couples retreat movie site). I got to plan the whole thing and she wont know until we get to the airport. Im pretty pumped. We are very active so I planned out a bunch of cool things to do like hike otemanu, swim with sharks and stingrays, heli ride----wanted to do sky diving but they wanted $1400 per person and they all ready bent me over the table on paying for the trip. I'd love to hear how your trip goes b/c I really want to explore the US a little more as my son gets older. I want to take him to the top 7 national parks by the time he is ten. I love camping and being outdoors and I think those were the best experiences I had growing up. Road trips and camping are a lost art..........and I'm a hypocrite b/c i just planned a super resorty honeymoon lol.
Congrats on getting married!

I just searched bora bora on the search engine and found this post. I am also now engaged with a wedding set for early next year. I really like the idea of going to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. Other options are Bali and maybe Seychelles or Maldives but that’s like a 35-40 hour trip. Seems like too long of a trip but we will see.

Anyways, St. Regis is what I’ve been looking at the past couple of days. When do you go? Would you mind posting a review when you get back? I’d appreciate it brother.

Rock Chalk

Congrats on getting married!

I just searched bora bora on the search engine and found this post. I am also now engaged with a wedding set for early next year. I really like the idea of going to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. Other options are Bali and maybe Seychelles or Maldives but that’s like a 35-40 hour trip. Seems like too long of a trip but we will see.

Anyways, St. Regis is what I’ve been looking at the past couple of days. When do you go? Would you mind posting a review when you get back? I’d appreciate it brother.

Rock Chalk
I looked exclusively at Bora Bora, Seychelles, and the Maldives. They are all comparable in being the 'it' honeymoon destination spot. Like you mentioned, the latter two got ruled out for time of travel b/c we had a trip to Ibiza two weeks after our honeymoon for my cousins wedding and had to limit the amount of time my business was shut down. We will 100% incorporate seychelles or maldives into our south africa trip next year (hit cape town, then jo-berg, then hop over to one of those fantastic spots.

Bora Bora will not disappoint---as you know, it will hit you in the wallet (15-20K)----but imo, it was worth it. I went with St Regis bc of the couples retreat movie and it is generally considered the best from the research I did. In retrospect, any of the 5 or 6 main resorts there would leave you in awe. The conrad is on the backside and it honestly looked terrific.

All the restaurants are top notch. Sushi, steaks, polynesian nights......all 5 star. The lagoon is the best of the best--we ate there twice. Alcohol is off the charts expensive----$10 beer and 25$ cocktails. You can bring 2 bottles a person from the duty free shop at the airport and check whatever else you want----it saved me about $1000. We swam with sharks and rays, jet ski'd the island, sunset cruise the island, hike mt otemanu, paddle boarded the lagoon. It truly is paradise. High 80's in the daytime, low 80's at night----with a steady ocean breeze.

I booked an overwater bungalow that has the pool on the deck and honestly, its not worth the extra money---traded it in for the same size without pool and they comped dinner---which will run you about $100-200 per night. The rooms are huge...like town homes. The butler service is on point and your patio (otemanu view) is straight out of a fairy tale.

If you want any detailed info just PM me.

@schoonerwest

Reactions: schoonerwest
Some of my family will be going to a place called White Lake here in North Carolina in July then a bunch of my family will be going to Myrtle Beach in August. I also hope to do some fishing with my nephew throughout the summer.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Some of my family will be going to a place called White Lake here in North Carolina in July then a bunch of my family will be going to Myrtle Beach in August. I also hope to do some fishing with my nephew throughout the summer.
Fishing is my favorite thing in the world. Mainly because it’s so easy to do when you’re hammered

Fishing is my favorite thing in the world. Mainly because it’s so easy to do when you’re hammered
I don't know what it is, but when I'm fishing i can drink more beer than i could ever possibly drink water. I almost wont fish unless i have a cooler full, and i love to fish

I looked exclusively at Bora Bora, Seychelles, and the Maldives. They are all comparable in being the 'it' honeymoon destination spot. Like you mentioned, the latter two got ruled out for time of travel b/c we had a trip to Ibiza two weeks after our honeymoon for my cousins wedding and had to limit the amount of time my business was shut down. We will 100% incorporate seychelles or maldives into our south africa trip next year (hit cape town, then jo-berg, then hop over to one of those fantastic spots.

Bora Bora will not disappoint---as you know, it will hit you in the wallet (15-20K)----but imo, it was worth it. I went with St Regis bc of the couples retreat movie and it is generally considered the best from the research I did. In retrospect, any of the 5 or 6 main resorts there would leave you in awe. The conrad is on the backside and it honestly looked terrific.

All the restaurants are top notch. Sushi, steaks, polynesian nights......all 5 star. The lagoon is the best of the best--we ate there twice. Alcohol is off the charts expensive----$10 beer and 25$ cocktails. You can bring 2 bottles a person from the duty free shop at the airport and check whatever else you want----it saved me about $1000. We swam with sharks and rays, jet ski'd the island, sunset cruise the island, hike mt otemanu, paddle boarded the lagoon. It truly is paradise. High 80's in the daytime, low 80's at night----with a steady ocean breeze.

I booked an overwater bungalow that has the pool on the deck and honestly, its not worth the extra money---traded it in for the same size without pool and they comped dinner---which will run you about $100-200 per night. The rooms are huge...like town homes. The butler service is on point and your patio (otemanu view) is straight out of a fairy tale.

If you want any detailed info just PM me.

@schoonerwest
Thanks for the response. Good stuff. I may reach out to you once we are at that point where we schedule our honeymoon.

Reactions: toonces11
I don't know what it is, but when I'm fishing i can drink more beer than i could ever possibly drink water. I almost wont fish unless i have a cooler full, and i love to fish
Fishing sober sucks. Like legit sucks
I floated the Colorado river fishing for trout a few weeks ago. Probably drank like 12 beers in 8 hours and it barely even phased me. Normally 6 is my limit when I'm going out for the night. Crazy.

Yeah I love fishing because even if you’re not catching anything you can still have a fun & relaxing time. I don’t get to go fishing as often as I’d like to but I’m trying to get back into it like I used to.

We came out of the loser's bracket in the Tennessee Junior State Tournament (14 YO) and forced a second game but lost it last night. They delivered the gameball in a helicopter, which was kind of cool. It would have been nice to win but we would have had to make plans to head to Virginia next week. We did beat the Goodlettsville team that usually is the Tennessee team in the LLWS. They were a bunch of terrible sports with awful parents so that was cool. One of their coaches even tried to hurt our pitcher who was shutting their ass down. So those games are always fun to win.

My night tonight. Huge shutout to @northeastspartan for coming up big.

Yankees @ Red Sox

93854-CBE-44-B9-412-D-8-E54-F6193-EA6-DD19.jpg

E84-E03-B7-6019-405-A-A241-AE6-D3-E7-CC689.jpg
Great stuff Hail! Good night to be a Sox fan. I am not one (Met's fan) but Fenway is my favorite park to visit of all of them I have been. Plenty of establishments within walking distance to Fenway too. Now if parking wasn't $50 plus everywhere you go around the park....

Reactions: northeastspartan
ADVERTISEMENT