ADVERTISEMENT

Place to put my Nonsense Thread.

241307185_6104489729623984_3953371799184035757_n.jpg

Dang. Philly is making Memphis look like Abu Dhabi.

That "hereon hunch". smh.

Is that real? I pause and wonder if a group wasn't doing some variation of a flash mob scene. Honestly, it looks like something you might see in Resident Evil. Just waiting for one of them to chomp down on someone else's shoulder.

Seems like yesterday. I was at Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, TX. Just got off work (nights) and was getting ready to go to the gym to play basketball. Saw it on TV as I was putting my gym clothes on. Didn't think much of it at the time, assumed it was an accident. This was before the 2nd plane hit. Was telling my friends about it before we started playing and by then the 2nd plane had hit. Wasn't long after that the sirens were going off and base was on lockdown. That is one of those moments when everyone remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they realized what was happening.

I was at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS, at tech school finishing up one of the last blocks of my first school (electronics). The base was locked down before we even knew what was happening as we had no access to cell phones or news during school hours. The former Navy guy who told all of us about the attack during a break (he was allowed to have a phone since he was a real person, unlike us fresh out of boot camp youths) simply said "Get ready to go to war. Hope you like sand." Turns out he was right, although probably not for the reasons he thought (hello, Project for a New American Century neo-conservatives!).

I was supposed to begin an airmen leadership course that day to become a student leader and march over to class with others from the electronics school. My instructor had no idea if I was still supposed to be there, and no one was answering the phones, so he sent me, alone, to march across the base to the start of class. I was stopped like 5 times by armed airmen in humvees, and once I was patted down/searched with a gun pointed at my chest. It was eerie, especially not really knowing the extent of the attack.

We spent the next several months basically locked down, unable to access even the courtyards at our dorms because they faced the outer walls and I suppose Al Qaeda might have sent snipers to... take out the next generation of electronic warfare, air control, and personnel Airmen before they could finish their advanced training?

Anyway, I'd recommend The Looming Tower (book and show are both excellent) for some insight on what led to the intelligence failures that day. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Dang. Philly is making Memphis look like Abu Dhabi.

That "hereon hunch". smh.

Philadelphia is gross. My family and I recently stayed downtown for a couple of nights on a lark, and our first, middle, and last observations about the city were how dirty it is, even in supposedly nicer areas of town. We live next to NYC and have worked in midtown for years, so it's not an urban/rural thing. It's just a gross city.

I was at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS, at tech school finishing up one of the last blocks of my first school (electronics). The base was locked down before we even knew what was happening as we had no access to cell phones or news during school hours. The former Navy guy who told all of us about the attack during a break (he was allowed to have a phone since he was a real person, unlike us fresh out of boot camp youths) simply said "Get ready to go to war. Hope you like sand." Turns out he was right, although probably not for the reasons he thought (hello, Project for a New American Century neo-conservatives!).

I was supposed to begin an airmen leadership course that day to become a student leader and march over to class with others from the electronics school. My instructor had no idea if I was still supposed to be there, and no one was answering the phones, so he sent me, alone, to march across the base to the start of class. I was stopped like 5 times by armed airmen in humvees, and once I was patted down/searched with a gun pointed at my chest. It was eerie, especially not really knowing the extent of the attack.

We spent the next several months basically locked down, unable to access even the courtyards at our dorms because they faced the outer walls and I suppose Al Qaeda might have sent snipers to... take out the next generation of electronic warfare, air control, and personnel Airmen before they could finish their advanced training?

Anyway, I'd recommend The Looming Tower (book and show are both excellent) for some insight on what led to the intelligence failures that day. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.
Hard to believe indeed. I was in tech school, too. Had been for about 8 months already. I just remember being locked down for I think the rest of the week, not going to class. I don't recall much beyond that. My memory sucks in general. That day is very vivid though, as I am sure it is for most people. My brother was at Keesler as well for tech school (weather).

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT