ADVERTISEMENT

OT - MLB Season Thread

There are a lot of good young players right now in general. I guess there always are though.

Regardless how they donit with the contracts and stuff, Arozerena aka the star of last years AL playoffs should not be considered a rookie this year imo.

Was India a top prospect in the Reds org or is this overachievement?
Probably a little bit of both. He was for sure a known entity. He was really good in college at Florida, and I think he was a fringe top 50ish prospect, which is also pretty elite. But I don’t think anyone expected him to flirt with a .400 on base percentage. It’s insane how well he’s hit.

Edit: to clarify, top 50 in baseball, not just the reds system. I’d imagine he’d be in the top 3 or 4 of their system going into this year.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
We did our part in sweeping the padres.

I need someone to start beating the giants.

theyve had such an amazing year esp considering that they didnt add much in the offseason and lost arguably their best player in bumgardner.

Adding bryant at the trade deadline was huge obv, but still not sure ive seen a team overachieve like this in a while.

But im scared of a one game wildcard against anyone just bc its baseball and anything can happen.

In a series we should be able to throw out better arms than most teams with scherzer, buehler, urias and hopefully kershaw, but that dont much matter in a one game series. Hopefully it wont come to that.

Yeah, India is a legit prospect. Doubt anyone thought he would be this good though. He also is a stud turning the DP so plays well both ways, which is a big concern with Barrero I think. Defense is a big question mark with him.

Reds getting dominated by one of the worst pitchers in the majors. Offense is legit but at times look like garbage against even below average left handers.

Reds getting dominated by one of the worst pitchers in the majors. Offense is legit but at times look like garbage against even below average left handers.
That’s not really an accurate description of who Jesus Luzardo is, but his arm in his current iteration is dead and they should be doing much better in today’s game. He still has a ton of upside, but the Marlins will need to address that in offseason.

Closer you get to the playoffs a little more tight a team can get. Is Winker still out? There are some low batting averages in that Reds lineup at the bottom. Mahle looks like he's pitched well enough today.

That’s not really an accurate description of who Jesus Luzardo is, but his arm in his current iteration is dead and they should be doing much better in today’s game. He still has a ton of upside, but the Marlins will need to address that in offseason.

He hasn't gone more than 5 innings all year and has almost a 10 ERA. Worst pitcher in the league was hyperbole but he sucks. Has allowed 5,4,5,7,3,3, runs in his last six starts and is one hitting a team that considers themselves legit.

Closer you get to the playoffs a little more tight a team can get. Is Winker still out? There are some low batting averages in that Reds lineup at the bottom. Mahle looks like he's pitched well enough today.
Bottom of their lineup is awful. Aquino shouldn't be playing. No idea why they don't play Schrock instead. Bell doens't want to hurt AA's feelings probably. They struggle against LHers though. That is their real issue. And yes, Winker is still out.

He hasn't gone more than 5 innings all year and has almost a 10 ERA. Worst pitcher in the league was hyperbole but he sucks. Has allowed 5,4,5,7,3,3, runs in his last six starts and is one hitting a team that considers themselves legit.
He’s a 23 year old former top 10 prospect with a dead arm. Yes, he’s having a nightmare season, but no, he’s not close to the worst pitcher in baseball. The Marlins shouldn’t have pitched him in the majors after trading for him, I have no idea why they are.

Edit: You’re also pretty clearly only looking at his stats on the Marlins as opposed to his entire season, not that he was much better with the A’s but it’s an inaccurate statement to say he hasn’t pitched more than 5 innings this year.

Last edited:
He’s a 23 year old former top 10 prospect with a dead arm. Yes, he’s having a nightmare season, but no, he’s not close to the worst pitcher in baseball. The Marlins shouldn’t have pitched him in the majors after trading for him, I have no idea why they are.

Edit: You’re also pretty clearly only looking at his stats on the Marlins as opposed to his entire season, not that he was much better with the A’s but it’s an inaccurate statement to say he hasn’t pitched more than 5 innings this year.

Yeah, not sure what he did with the A's. I tend to look at how guys do in the league they are currently in. I think it is more representative of how they should do going forward. Feel like you kind of agree he sucks right now though so we seem to agree.

Yeah, not sure what he did with the A's. I tend to look at how guys do in the league they are currently in. I think it is more representative of how they should do going forward. Feel like you kind of agree he sucks right now though so we seem to agree.
Why? Is the AL a lower level of players than the NL? Spoiler alert, it’s not.

Carry on bitching about how bad the reds are at hitting when they clearly are not because you either don’t shit about the landscape of baseball in 2021, or don’t pay attention to the rest of the league. They’re 3rd in the NL in fangraphs team hitting war and 2nd in the NL in team average. Yeah, that’s a bad team.

Just as a level set for others in this thread, the mean average for mlb players this year is .243. It’s not the 1980’s anymore, most team’s 8 hitters aren’t going to be hitting .280.

The thing about young lefties, IMO, they are just streaky. Look at Robbie Ray. The dude could not get ANYBODY out his last year in AZ, and he's an ace in Toronto now. But everybody knew he had crazy good stuff his K to IP rate was pretty impressive.

Typically pitchers that exit Oak take a step back statistically, that friendly big park with the foul ball territory isn't everywhere. It was still a decent gamble for the Marlins because Marte was probably not returning, so roll the dice on a young lefty. I think next year will be the tell.

The thing about young lefties, IMO, they are just streaky. Look at Robbie Ray. The dude could not get ANYBODY out his last year in AZ, and he's an ace in Toronto now. But everybody knew he had crazy good stuff his K to IP rate was pretty impressive.

Typically pitchers that exit Oak take a step back statistically, that friendly big park with the foul ball territory isn't everywhere. It was still a decent gamble for the Marlins because Marte was probably not returning, so roll the dice on a young lefty. I think next year will be the tell.
Yeah Ray is interesting because I think Arizona fvcked with his windup and he lost velo. He made an almost immediate tweak last year after he got traded to the blue jays, which makes me believe they had identified an issue with his delivery before trading for him. That tweak lead to some velo back and a nice second half. I’m shocked with how good he’s been this year, but his stuff has always been plus. I’m pretty sure he’s the career leader in k/9 ever. That will obviously diminish as he ages, but it’s a crazy stat to see.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse with luzardo, but the A’s knew his arm wasn’t in great shape and had been using him out of the bullpen before trading him. There’s clearly no structural damage because he was traded, but it’s still weird to see the Marlins pitch him because they’re not playing for anything. Just give him a few months off and pick back up in fall / winter ball.

I also just think it’s dumb to label young elite prospect pitchers as one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Glasnow got the shit kicked out of him a ton with the pirates before he became what he is now. Giolito got rocked a few seasons ago and was an all star the next year. Matt Manning has gotten his brains beaten in this year for Detroit, but he’s clearly not bad. It’s just a growing period.

Why? Is the AL a lower level of players than the NL? Spoiler alert, it’s not.

Carry on bitching about how bad the reds are at hitting when they clearly are not because you either don’t shit about the landscape of baseball in 2021, or don’t pay attention to the rest of the league. They’re 3rd in the NL in fangraphs team hitting war and 2nd in the NL in team average. Yeah, that’s a bad team.

Just as a level set for others in this thread, the mean average for mlb players this year is .243. It’s not the 1980’s anymore, most team’s 8 hitters aren’t going to be hitting .280.

No, but one player on a different team will at times pitch differently so it makes sense to look at that when the sample size is large enough. Spoiler alert, it is big enough.

I have already said the Reds are legit hitting the ball but they also have some serious struggles against lefties at times. Yesterday they faced a pitcher who has had two season highs in SOs (11 and 12) against one team, the Reds. Today they faced a bad pitcher who dominated them. They sucked at hitting two days in a row against a bad team when they are in the middle of a race for a playoff spot. At least yesterday was understandable because that dude is legit. This dude isn't legit so it's frustrating.

I get that your 8 hitter isn't going to be good. That is why he bats 8th. But your sixth hitter shouldn't be .172 when your 8 hitter is .182 and you sandwich those two by the hottest hitter on your team in the 7th spot. That's just stupid. Bad lineup construction.

On the whole, this team has been incredibly fun to watch this year though.

Last edited:
I also just think it’s dumb to label young elite prospect pitchers as one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Glasnow got the shit kicked out of him a ton with the pirates before he became what he is now. Giolito got rocked a few seasons ago and was an all star the next year. Matt Manning has gotten his brains beaten in this year for Detroit, but he’s clearly not bad. It’s just a growing period.

Right now I think by ERA you could make an argument he is one of the worst SPs in baseball. I'm not talking about what he was as a prospect or what he may possibly be one day in the future because that's silly. I also said it was hyperbole but you seem hung up on ignoring that so you can rant.

For example, Saurez is one of the worst hitters in baseball. Didn't used to be and hopefully one day will get it back but right now he is.

Yeah Ray is interesting because I think Arizona fvcked with his windup and he lost velo. He made an almost immediate tweak last year after he got traded to the blue jays, which makes me believe they had identified an issue with his delivery before trading for him. That tweak lead to some velo back and a nice second half. I’m shocked with how good he’s been this year, but his stuff has always been plus. I’m pretty sure he’s the career leader in k/9 ever. That will obviously diminish as he ages, but it’s a crazy stat to see.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse with luzardo, but the A’s knew his arm wasn’t in great shape and had been using him out of the bullpen before trading him. There’s clearly no structural damage because he was traded, but it’s still weird to see the Marlins pitch him because they’re not playing for anything. Just give him a few months off and pick back up in fall / winter ball.
Luzardo is 23 and misses bats. It was a good gamble. 17bb/59 k in 60 ip in 2020. That's the guy they are hoping he is.

Ray was so dominant at times in AZ, in addition to any delivery change you spot, probably just mentally was a big thing for him too.

Luzardo is 23 and misses bats. It was a good gamble. 17bb/59 k in 60 ip in 2020. That's the guy they are hoping he is.

Ray was so dominant at times in AZ, in addition to any delivery change you spot, probably just mentally was a big thing for him too.
Oh I totally agree. Luzardo is as good a get you can expect for an expiring contract trade. I believe the Marlins had offered Marte a deal, but it was such an insulting lowball that they might as well not have offered it. He wasn’t going to resign, so getting anything (let alone a former top 10 prospect) is a solid move. I just don’t think you’re learning much from him right now, and there’s probably a better chance it fvcks up his psyche because his arm isn’t there.

They’re such a cheap organization that they probably want to see him pitch from up close because his service time clock has already started. If he has a productive offseason and can get back to his prior form, they do have a deadly staff. Having him, Sixto, Rogers, Alcantara, Pablo Lopez and Edward Cabrera is the makings of an absolutely electric staff.

Definitely worth it for them if he can consistently look close to what he showed today. Granted, the Reds have struggled against lefties but they still have good hitters at the top of that lineup and he was very good against them.

That is a hella staff. They always seem to have a few good young pieces, Jazz seems ok though I haven't looked at his #"s or watched him closely.

That is a hella staff. They always seem to have a few good young pieces, Jazz seems ok though I haven't looked at his #"s or watched him closely.
He’s awesome. Probably the most purely electric player in baseball and his swing is gorgeous. He’s also the only player ever in the statcast era to homer off 2 100+ mph pitches. One of those was for sure off deGrom. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders too, I saw an interview about him meeting Jeter and the first thing he asked about was getting to the Hall because that’s what he wants to do.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Baez has always been a fake tough guy so no surprise he is all in his feelings and uber sensitive here. Fun player to watch though.

Reds suck against left handers. Just is what it is. Probably isn't changing.

And I feel like Cabrera should be playing tonight considering he is actually decent against LH pitching. Also dumb still playing the worst hitter in baseball in front of one of your hottest hitters.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Lester has 77 pitches through six innings and has allowed 1 hit. It doesn't matter who it is. No need to say x left hander has looked great tonight. It has nothing to do with the pitcher.

Everyone but the Padres. They have a very difficult schedule and the Reds, Phillies, Cardinals all have easy ish schedules.

Yeah, Reds and Phillies are a little easier than then Cardinals I think but the Padres definitely have the toughest. If I had to bet I would probably bet the Cardinals though. Probably just because I hate them so much though.

I do hope the next time Castellanos hits a HR against them he autographs and goes over and throws it at their manager.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Choke like they tend to do. Last year it was in the playoffs. This year just starting early. Lost four straight series and three of them were against the Marlins, Cubs, and Tigers. Did Winker mean that much? Are they just slumping? Looking at the lineup every night/day and it just doesn't scream contender. They are just so bad with some of the basic things good teams do. Baserunning, defense, managing, taking pitches when a pitcher lacks control, etc....

Just not sure what some of the decisions are they make either. Why bring up Brach and send down Lopez? Do you really need an extra reliever with two days off coming up?

At least they aren't buried 20 games back like they have been most of my life though.

Reds are not an easy team to root for. I've been a fan since the early 80's and it just doesn't get any easier.

Reds are not an easy team to root for. I've been a fan since the early 80's and it just doesn't get any easier.

That is because they ******** suck. Crappy thing about being a fan is that you can't just make yourself not be a fan. I watch most games. That is a lot of hours spent in frustration.

Left hander for the Pirates has his career high in SOs in the fourth inning versus the Reds. Granted, one was on a absolutely horrendous strike call probably five inches off the plate but still. Team seems to get worse and worse every week and absolutely suck against LHers.

ADVERTISEMENT