ADVERTISEMENT

OT - MLB Season Thread

This team with even a decent bullpen, is in all likelihood leading the Central. Unreal offense...very good starting pitching...Shit bullpen. In fairness, they have some dudes out. But still...
Oh absolutely. Go look up the blown save numbers. It's not hyperbole. We're what...7.5 back? Yeah we'd be leading the Central. Castellini can KMA.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Oh absolutely. Go look up the blown save numbers. It's not hyperbole. We're what...7.5 back? Yeah we'd be leading the Central. Castellini can KMA.
With all the bullpen issues, no idea why they have not called up Green. The plan is to use him out the pen anyways...They have Moreta as well. But that would mean they'd have to make a roster move. Santillian is throwing it well at Louisville.

Just surpised Reds didn't go after someone. Its 100% what this team is missing.

ANd this one belongs to the Reds.....

Givens has been solid.

Sale back for Boston that's kind of interesting felt like he's been out a long time.

What happened early in the Reds game today looked like a couple guys exited the game early in the boxscore?

With all the bullpen issues, no idea why they have not called up Green. The plan is to use him out the pen anyways...They have Moreta as well. But that would mean they'd have to make a roster move. Santillian is throwing it well at Louisville.

Just surpised Reds didn't go after someone. Its 100% what this team is missing.
I thought I heard Green and Lodolo will not be used out of the pen now. Starters only. I can ask again though. Know someone who has a connection to them. I could be remembering incorrectly.

I would like to see Santillian up in the bullpen. I guess the problem with some of these moves is guys don't have options. Senzel should be up but who goes down? Moose is almost as bad as Saurez right now. I don't care for either of them. Doolittle and Garrett should both be gone. Hoffman at least serves a role as a long man when the game is out of hand so you don't waste other arms. Reds also probably need to drop one bullpen slot on the roster for a player as well.

A couple of issues are kind of creeping up that aren't bullpen related (outside of Bell's infatuation with Saurez). Injuries to some of their better players and Sonny regressing some. He seems to tire out quick and at this point you have to almost treat his starts (and Mahle's home starts) as short stints where you are going to be using the bullpen for four innings.

Last edited:
I thought I heard Green and Lodolo will not be used out of the pen now. Starters only. I can ask again though. Know someone who has a connection to them. I could be remembering incorrectly.

I would like to see Santillian up in the bullpen. I guess the problem with some of these moves is guys don't have options. Senzel should be up but who goes down? Moose is almost as bad as Saurez right now. I don't care for either of them. Doolittle and Garrett should both be gone. Hoffman at least serves a role as a long man when the game is out of hand so you don't waste other arms. Reds also probably need to drop one bullpen slot on the roster for a player as well.
You answered that in the very next sentence...

Moose/Suarez. Senzel is better than both. Maybe should have shopped Moose/Suarez for an arm , or two. Suarez is someting like 8-40 in August so far. He either hits a bomb, or strikes the **** out. Moose looks like a little leaguer hitting. I'd like to see Senzal at third, Farmer at SS---full-time. I get it Nick is a 2nd baseman, but that spot is kinda of taken. Maybe put him in CF...Although Akiyama is starting to come along.

With all this being said----long story short---Reds have to much talent to be 7 games out of first.

Sale back for Boston that's kind of interesting felt like he's been out a long time.

What happened early in the Reds game today looked like a couple guys exited the game early in the boxscore?
Castellanos was ejected in the first, arguing balls/strikes. Seemed to be a carry over thing from the day before. He was called out on a so/so check swing by then 1st base umpire Sean Barber. He wasn't happy, telling Barber---"That wasn't even fukin close.." Today he was banged on a marginal, and IMO, very close pitch. It was off the plate, but....Anyhow, my guess is Castellanos brought up the earlier issue from the day before, and that got him ran.

Winker left with apparent discomfort in his back.

I think Moose will be fine he's just getting back in to form. Geno on the other hand I have serious concerns about.
Barrero will be our SS of the future next year if he isn't up this year. India's got 2nd locked down. That to me says stick Senzel at 3rd if we're looking long term. I admittedly have no idea wtf the long term plan is to replace Joey at first.

OF obviously pretty set depth wise right now, but will we sack up and retain Castellanos?

Castellanos was ejected in the first, arguing balls/strikes. Seemed to be a carry over thing from the day before. He was called out on a so/so check swing by then 1st base umpire Sean Barber. He wasn't happy, telling Barber---"That wasn't even fukin close.." Today he was banged on a marginal, and IMO, very close pitch. It was off the plate, but....Anyhow, my guess is Castellanos brought up the earlier issue from the day before, and that got him ran.

Winker left with apparent discomfort in his back.
Which is even more bullshit considering just about every batter from both sides gave the ump an earful because he was giant steaming pile of 💩today. I lmao in the 9th when whoever it was for the Phillies got a shat called 3rd strike and they pan over to Girardi who's just shakes his head and throws his hands up.

Which is even more bullshit considering just about every batter from both sides gave the ump an earful because he was giant steaming pile of 💩today. I lmao in the 9th when whoever it was for the Phillies got a shat called 3rd strike and they pan over to Girardi who's just shakes his head and throws his hands up.
Barber was bad today.....No doubt. BUT, players know, man. You cannot do that(bring up shit from prior game). You just can't. That shit doesn't fly in college, and certainly not at the pro level. If Nick simply gives him the business, I doubt he gets ran. My guess is the convo went something like this..

That pitch was fuking off the plate...

Nick, I had it on the black..

No, fukin way..

Well Nick thats where I had it...

Oh, you mean the same you had that fukin check swing yesterday...

Boom.....time for the showers.

Its just how it is, brother.

Very seldom are managers/players ejected for , "no reason". Those dudes(umpires) take a ton of fukin heat.

You answered that in the very next sentence...

Moose/Suarez. Senzel is better than both. Maybe should have shopped Moose/Suarez for an arm , or two. Suarez is someting like 8-40 in August so far. He either hits a bomb, or strikes the **** out. Moose looks like a little leaguer hitting. I'd like to see Senzal at third, Farmer at SS---full-time. I get it Nick is a 2nd baseman, but that spot is kinda of taken. Maybe put him in CF...Although Akiyama is starting to come along.

With all this being said----long story short---Reds have to much talent to be 7 games out of first.

I would like to just see Saurez gone. It took Bell way too long to move him down and he still isn't far enough. Should be 8 to keep him out of high importance chances. Then the random bomb he hits when he guesses correctly will just be a blessing.

I think they should keep Senzel out of CF. He is ok there but is so fragile he breaks too easily with the way he plays. I think if he can play third that would be ideal. I would rather see Lopez or Shrock there but, like we said, options probably won't allow that.

Outside of Doolittle and Garrett I'm actually ok with the bullpen right now. The problem is it was so bad for so long it put them way behind. I really dislike the FO and manager though so don't have much hope.

I am absolutely crazy about this new Votto. Hitting bombs and kind of hamming it up. It's the best thing ever.

Also, I was way wrong about Vlad. Thought he just got lucky in his first few starts and was eventually going to get rocked but he actually has just gotten better and better at actually being a pitcher.

Barber was bad today.....No doubt. BUT, players know, man. You cannot do that(bring up shit from prior game). You just can't. That shit doesn't fly in college, and certainly not at the pro level. If Nick simply gives him the business, I doubt he gets ran. My guess is the convo went something like this..

That pitch was fuking off the plate...

Nick, I had it on the black..

No, fukin way..

Well Nick thats where I had it...

Oh, you mean the same you had that fukin check swing yesterday...

Boom.....time for the showers.

Its just how it is, brother.

Very seldom are managers/players ejected for , "no reason". Those dudes(umpires) take a ton of fukin heat.

To me, most umpires are really good but there are a handfull of umpires that are just really bad behind the plate. I know it's a heck of a tough deal back there with how these guys throw today but I think it would benefit baseball to only allow guys behind the plate who actually are good at it instead of just letting all umpires do it. I would prefer to keep the game in the hands of actual umpires and think that would help in that.

To me, most umpires are really good but there are a handfull of umpires that are just really bad behind the plate. I know it's a heck of a tough deal back there with how these guys throw today but I think it would benefit baseball to only allow guys behind the plate who actually are good at it instead of just letting all umpires do it. I would prefer to keep the game in the hands of actual umpires and think that would help in that.
Some guys look "bad", b/c some/most MLB guys are really, really good. Think about this----receiving a grade of 94 or below is considered below AVERAGE....That is insane. And here's the thing. Those implementing the idea that an umpire is bad, are people who have no idea what it takes, to owrk at that level. Their opinions are based on some mixed tapes off YouTube, for missed calls.

I agree there are umpires who are bad....But think of what you are comparing them too...Its like comparing a Porsche to a Miata....

No chance using the same guys for the plate is a good idea...Or even doable. Dudes would wear the **** out. Ever worked a 9-inning game, for 3 hours, on a filed where the temp is 120+ degrees? Yeah, good luck doing that multiple times a week. MLB crews are of 4. Meaning you work the plate on Monday, your not on the dish again until Friday. If they changed it to where you were working two plates a week, on top of working the bases, umpires would drop like flies.

Sports has been filled with bad calls, bad officials since its inception. That isn't ever going to change. Its simply part of the game. But every year, people seemed shocked of this....Crazy.

I think MLB would benefit by using the same technology you see on ESPN broadcasts to determine balls and strikes. If they can do it in tennis and show a ball miss the line by a millimeter, surely they could do it in baseball. Home plates umps can watch for balks, plays at the plate, keep the count etc. umps would prob like it too as long as they got paid the same.

Some guys look "bad", b/c some/most MLB guys are really, really good. Think about this----receiving a grade of 94 or below is considered below AVERAGE....That is insane. And here's the thing. Those implementing the idea that an umpire is bad, are people who have no idea what it takes, to owrk at that level. Their opinions are based on some mixed tapes off YouTube, for missed calls.

I agree there are umpires who are bad....But think of what you are comparing them too...Its like comparing a Porsche to a Miata....

No chance using the same guys for the plate is a good idea...Or even doable. Dudes would wear the **** out. Ever worked a 9-inning game, for 3 hours, on a filed where the temp is 120+ degrees? Yeah, good luck doing that multiple times a week. MLB crews are of 4. Meaning you work the plate on Monday, your not on the dish again until Friday. If they changed it to where you were working two plates a week, on top of working the bases, umpires would drop like flies.

Sports has been filled with bad calls, bad officials since its inception. That isn't ever going to change. Its simply part of the game. But every year, people seemed shocked of this....Crazy.
I think part of it now is we have the texhnology to fix it, we could have every call be made by replay and never miss a call (theoretically i know some are so close even with technology its not clear). Plus of course now adays fans have access to unlimited replays on the internet and such.

Back in the day u had to describe the bad call, now u can just show it to anyone on ur phone, so more people see them imo

I think MLB would benefit by using the same technology you see on ESPN broadcasts to determine balls and strikes. If they can do it in tennis and show a ball miss the line by a millimeter, surely they could do it in baseball. Home plates umps can watch for balks, plays at the plate, keep the count etc. umps would prob like it too as long as they got paid the same.
Just one problem----that technolgy has a glitch----It cannot determine the height of the batter. So a strike at the knees to a 6'6" guy, is also a strike to a 5'10". Only issue, that pitch on the 5'10 dude is at his neck... 🤣 The technology also has issue with picking up curve balls---especially the 12/6 pitch. I have seen it in action----Very bad, idea.

Replay IMO is needed...to some extent. But robots , or computers, naaaah. I get tired of hearing---"umpires/officials are not part of the game---should make themselves pasrt of the game." WHich is dumb as ****. Because,well, they are a part of the game.

We are trying to hard to make the game perfect...Not so sure why---Since the game/players themselves are not.

Weird what winning/losing does.

I think part of it now is we have the texhnology to fix it, we could have every call be made by replay and never miss a call (theoretically i know some are so close even with technology its not clear). Plus of course now adays fans have access to unlimited replays on the internet and such.

Back in the day u had to describe the bad call, now u can just show it to anyone on ur phone, so more people see them imo
Calls have been missed for years and years..Officiating/umpiring hasn't changed, gotten worse---Technology has simply gotten better, and exposed the bad calls.

Bad calls are part of it, man. Just like booted grounders, dropped fly balls, throwing errors, etc, etc...

IMO, leave the game alone. Just play. People wanna puch to much emphasis on bad calls, yet forget the numerous mistakes the teams make...

Just play.

Votto is just killing it since the break....Got career hit #2000 tonight in the 7th. MOF, he has 2 hits in the Reds 8 run , 7th.

Hopefully tonight helps push Hembree out the door. Both he and Doolittle should be the first two gone when Antone comes back. Honestly, I think it is dumb to keep Senzel down while those two dudes are on the roster. You don't need a thousand relievers.

Hembree is a ****ing bum. He and Garrett can catch the first bus to Louisville or points beyond st this point. Hembree's slow deliberate delivery kills me.

Tough loss tonight....But thats baseball. Score 14 one night....get beat 2-1 the next. Big moment in the 8th inning..bases loaded, 1 out---India and Votto coming up. Didn't score.

Yeah, really sucked. Team badly needs Winker healthy and probably Senzel up playing CF. Saurez and Moose and Akiyama are all just terrible hitters right now.

Yeah, really sucked. Team badly needs Winker healthy and probably Senzel up playing CF. Saurez and Moose and Akiyama are all just terrible hitters right now.
WHich is why I am still amazed Bell did not bunt him, with 1st and 2nd/0 outs. Instead , he strikes out. Unreal how bad those three are swining it; though Akiyama did get hot for a spell.

WTF with hitting Moose in the 5 spot? PLeasse tell me he pinched hit, or something.

WHich is why I am still amazed Bell did not bunt him, with 1st and 2nd/0 outs. Instead , he strikes out. Unreal how bad those three are swining it; though Akiyama did get hot for a spell.

WTF with hitting Moose in the 5 spot? PLeasse tell me he pinched hit, or something.

Bell is an idiot. Has been a failure at every stop so him sucking is no surprise. The only thing Bell cares about is if a right is facing a lefty, a lefty facing a right, if he can play sucky players so they feel better about themselves, and how many double switches he can make in one game.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Guy that pitched for Cincy last night not bad is he a younger guy?

Yeah, I really thought the league would hammer him after they got used to him but he has actually worked on improving and getting better and staying ahead of things and has surprised me a lot.

Just one problem----that technolgy has a glitch----It cannot determine the height of the batter. So a strike at the knees to a 6'6" guy, is also a strike to a 5'10". Only issue, that pitch on the 5'10 dude is at his neck... 🤣 The technology also has issue with picking up curve balls---especially the 12/6 pitch. I have seen it in action----Very bad, idea.

Replay IMO is needed...to some extent. But robots , or computers, naaaah. I get tired of hearing---"umpires/officials are not part of the game---should make themselves pasrt of the game." WHich is dumb as ****. Because,well, they are a part of the game.

We are trying to hard to make the game perfect...Not so sure why---Since the game/players themselves are not.

Weird what winning/losing does.
Thanks for the intel, i never considered the height of the batter, but again when i watch a game, espn has no problem adjusting their system showing the replay of where the ball crossed the strike zone or not, whether its altuve or judge in the box. But i guess thats not instant like the tennis stuff.

But Your obv gonna know alot more about it than me, seeing how thats what you do, so ill defer to the person who actually does the job in question, bc my opinions are just based on watching tv.

Reds are 1.5 out of wildcard is that right? Saw that headline somewhere but was half asleep not sure if true. So LA probably ran away with NL West and SD has a sh!t ton of injuries, the Reds blew it vs a hot garbage Cubs they could have put even more pressure on SD.

Who do the Reds get this weekend?

Reds are 1.5 out of wildcard is that right? Saw that headline somewhere but was half asleep not sure if true. So LA probably ran away with NL West and SD has a sh!t ton of injuries, the Reds blew it vs a hot garbage Cubs they could have put even more pressure on SD.

Who do the Reds get this weekend?
Dodgers don't lead the NL West. Giants are currently. So there is one of the wild card spots.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
ADVERTISEMENT