ADVERTISEMENT

OT - MLB Season Thread

Well hot damn. I need to pay attention. Thx!
It's fair for you to assume they were. Giants have been absolutely killing it this year. I think the Dodgers catch them, I think they are only a game or two back, but which ever team doesn't win the division has the first wild card almost locked up. I think the Dodgers are 10 games up on the Padres.

It’ll be an interesting last 6 weeks in both wild card races. The reds have been playing pretty well lately before they stubbed their toe the last few days. As long as David Bell doesn’t get in his own way (as he’s wont to do), I think they’ll pass the Dads. Their schedule is super easy, while the Padres play the NL West overlords a bunch in September.

Reds are 1.5 out of wildcard is that right? Saw that headline somewhere but was half asleep not sure if true. So LA probably ran away with NL West and SD has a sh!t ton of injuries, the Reds blew it vs a hot garbage Cubs they could have put even more pressure on SD.

Who do the Reds get this weekend?

Marlins. Won tonight so that's a good start. Old Man Votto banged another one out. Yeah, if they would have beaten the Cubs AAA team the last two days they would be leading the WC right now.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
@coryfly ..

Bout time Bell makes a smart move. PH Stepenson there for Moose was a great move---And he answers the "Bell", with a 2-run, bases loaded double...

Marlins. Won tonight so that's a good start. Old Man Votto banged another one out. Yeah, if they would have beaten the Cubs AAA team the last two days they would be leading the WC right now.
Now currently tied with the Padres. San Diego has a rough stretch ahead. Reds now up 6-2 on Marlins.

I like Mahle but he is infuriating with how long he gets into his pitch counts with so many batters. Just seldom is pitch efficient at all.

I like Mahle but he is infuriating with how long he gets into his pitch counts with so many batters. Just seldom is pitch efficient at all.
Mahle looked good tonight...probably should have been left in longer. Good game though, should be an intense series of playoff-level baseball.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I read a stat that Mahle has had 9 leads blown for him this year. That’s the most in baseball.

At this point the only thing to do is embrace the suck and hope the Os break the record and put it at some insurmountable number that will never be touched.

Reactions: WheelerG
At this point the only thing to do is embrace the suck and hope the Os break the record and put it at some insurmountable number that will never be touched.
Y’all will beat Quintana tomorrow. He’s incapable of winning a game.

Mahle looked good tonight...probably should have been left in longer. Good game though, should be an intense series of playoff-level baseball.

Pretty disheartening for the Reds. Have a 3 run lead and burn your best relievers and they get thrashed and lose Antone again (probably for good this time). About as bad a start to the series as you could get. Basically boils down to a team in the Brewers that is simply better than the Reds. Cincinnati may make the playoffs but they will probably just get embarrassed again by a decent team.

Pretty disheartening for the Reds. Have a 3 run lead and burn your best relievers and they get thrashed and lose Antone again (probably for good this time). About as bad a start to the series as you could get. Basically boils down to a team in the Brewers that is simply better than the Reds. Cincinnati may make the playoffs but they will probably just get embarrassed again by a decent team.
Bottom line----Reds are as good as anyone------Until its time to go the bullpen. Pen is complete fukin trash...

Felt bad for Antone, can’t imagine how frustrating that would be. Not thrilled to have Escobar and Adames go down at this point in the season either. Hopefully none are serious injuries, but really don’t feel good about Antone. My Crew needs Adames if they’re going to make noise in the playoffs.

Felt bad for Antone, can’t imagine how frustrating that would be. Not thrilled to have Escobar and Adames go down at this point in the season either. Hopefully none are serious injuries, but really don’t feel good about Antone. My Crew needs Adames if they’re going to make noise in the playoffs.
Yeah, what was the deal with Adames? Why did he come out?

@coryfly ...

I have never seen a team blow so many runners at 2nd/3rd, less than two out opportunities, than the Reds.

JFC....At least get ONE there. Damn.

I see we are “blessed” with CB Buckner behind the dish tonight.
giphy.gif

For the life of me, I can’t understand how Castillo started so slowly this year with the stuff he has. I know he can be wild, but still.

For the life of me, I can’t understand how Castillo started so slowly this year with the stuff he has. I know he can be wild, but still.
His stuff is fuking ridiculous....ANd it seems he's added some giddy up to his fastball. At times, dude is un-hittable, man.

Narvaez framed it nicely, on the replay you see Buckner looking around Narvaez to see where the glove was and then he rung him up.
Saw that. I was like, WFT, CB? As a college umpire, i cannot fathom doing that. Much less at that level(MLB).

@coryfly ...

I have never seen a team blow so many runners at 2nd/3rd, less than two out opportunities, than the Reds.

JFC....At least get ONE there. Damn.

This game reminds me of the playoffs last year. There is strong separation between the Reds and good teams IMO.

I also don't understand why Bell is so adamant about not playing guys who may actually be decent hitters. Schrock looks good every time he hits but they can't find a place for him. We can watch AA look awful though. Team has a lot of minor league talent hitting right now without Winker. And as much as I like Tucker defensively (though really not a fan of him calling pitches) you have to play Stephenson right now with this lineup. Too many dead bats in the lineup against good teams.

As for CB, I've always despised him behind the plate. It's a tough job but he is consistently bad IMO. He didn't call a strike on a play where the Milwaukee batter took a legit almost full swing at the ball.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
It’s hard to make any grand statements on an inability to hit after a game against Brandon woodruff. He has like a .190 batting average against this year, no one can hit him. Same goes for Burnes yesterday.

His stuff is fuking ridiculous....ANd it seems he's added some giddy up to his fastball. At times, dude is un-hittable, man.
Im a dodgers fan and hes the reason im hoping we pass the giants.

I know we have arms too but a one game series can be tough for anyone, plus yall have so many HR hitters. Our closer Jensen sucks too, he has for about 2 years now.

India is a throwback, the Reds have had some luck at the 2b position over the years he's another good one.

EDIT - This dude has a better OBP than Votto. Let that sink in.

Im a dodgers fan and hes the reason im hoping we pass the giants.

I know we have arms too but a one game series can be tough for anyone, plus yall have so many HR hitters. Our closer Jensen sucks too, he has for about 2 years now.
Hoping you dudes sweep'em. RIght now Reds lead by one game.

This game reminds me of the playoffs last year. There is strong separation between the Reds and good teams IMO.

I also don't understand why Bell is so adamant about not playing guys who may actually be decent hitters. Schrock looks good every time he hits but they can't find a place for him. We can watch AA look awful though. Team has a lot of minor league talent hitting right now without Winker. And as much as I like Tucker defensively (though really not a fan of him calling pitches) you have to play Stephenson right now with this lineup. Too many dead bats in the lineup against good teams.

As for CB, I've always despised him behind the plate. It's a tough job but he is consistently bad IMO. He didn't call a strike on a play where the Milwaukee batter took a legit almost full swing at the ball.
TOugh call somewhat with Tucker and Stephenson....Barnhart is so good defensively---BUT, Reds need bats; At least until Winker gets back. I just hope we can hold on to Stephenson---He's gonna be really good.

Need to somehow, some way, fix the bullpen. JFC its bad.

CB irritates me. Its a tough job, yes. But man he's struggled for a while.

I like this team. I'd really like it if we could get someone to step out in the pen---I'd like to see the Reds call up Greene. And go with Santilla as the dude.

India is a stud. SHould be ROTY.
Yeah, the way he’s played since the beginning of June combined with Rogers getting injured should all but lock up the ROY for him. It’s been a particularly loaded rookie class though. I know some of that is due to guys having extended rookie status with the partial year last year, but there’s still a bunch of stud rookies.

Off the top of my head, these guys have all been great

India
Rogers
Jazz Chisolm
Luis Garcia
Randy Arozorena
Adolis Garcia
Lamonte Wade
Andrew Vaughn
Wander has been pretty solid

I’m sure I’m missing some, but lots of strong showings.

ADVERTISEMENT