ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best concert you have attended

Haven't been to a ton of concerts in my life. Two stand out more than the rest though. The first was Alabama in Raleigh NC when I was in HS. The concert was okay but holy shit there were tons of hot chicks at that concert. I ****ed one of the girls later that night. Second was Tom Petty in Little Rock a couple of weeks before he died.

Reactions: Big ol arms
They truly are an amazing group. There was a quote I once heard from one of them on the documentary they did, titled "History of the Eagles: An American Band" along the lines of "Some bands do enough to become a band of their time, but if you do everything the right way, you become a band for all time." And that is truly how I view them. There are artists and bands out there that truly surpass generations. The Eagles are one of them.

You will appreciate this, borden. I've told this story before on here, but this was the last concert I got to see with my mom before she got sick with cancer. It just so happen to be one of our all time favorite bands, at our all time favorite place in the whole world. Rupp Arena. I bleed blue because of her, and I just thank god that I had that chance with my mom and I will always have that memory.

BTW, that documentary is MONEY on the band. One of my favorite docs of all time, if you ever have time to watch it.
Great story, Jimbo. Glad you got to share such a good moment with your mom. I saw the Eagles with my uncle, and instantly was hooked. I listen to them at night a lot, when I cannot sleep. Them, and my dudes---The mutherfkin Bee Gee's..:D

Reactions: JimboBBN
Tough to pick one of twenty-plus Pearl Jam shows I’ve seen, but probably The Vic in 2007 because you don’t see a band like that in as intimate a setting as that very often.

Saw the Grateful Dead’s second to last show, and passed on what would be their final show. Who could’ve known? So, that has to be up there.

Michael Franti at Red Rocks was pretty unreal the last two years, too, due partly to the venue. But his shows are awesome no matter where they are.

Like schooner said, it’s impossible to pick just one.
I saw Pearl Jam In the early 90’s. Haven’t seen them since but I’m not sure I’ll ever forget it. Crazy scene!

I echo what you and schooner said. Concerts/live music of all types is the best.

Reactions: 829305
The Eagles in Rupp Arena in 2018. Best concert I’ll ever see I bet
Oh, the Eagles.
So, sometime around 2013 some friends said they had tickets for the Eagles in Indy. So, I ask my wife if she wants to go see the Eagles. She says, “No, it seems like a waste of money.” I’m surprised cause she loves concerts but decide, whatever.

So, the day of the show comes (which we’ve long forgotten about) and she sees our friends post on FB that they are on their way to Indy for the Eagles concert. My wife says, “Omg! I thought you meant the Eagles football team?!?!?” As if I’ve ever fvcking said “Go Eagles!” in my life. I could’ve killed her. Ha.

Anyway, a year later, Glenn Frey dies.

Oh, the Eagles.
So, sometime around 2013 some friends said they had tickets for the Eagles in Indy. So, I ask my wife if she wants to go see the Eagles. She says, “No, it seems like a waste of money.” I’m surprised cause she loves concerts but decide, whatever.

So, the day of the show comes (which we’ve long forgotten about) and she sees our friends post on FB that they are on their way to Indy for the Eagles concert. My wife says, “Omg! I thought you meant the Eagles football team?!?!?” As if I’ve ever fvcking said “Go Eagles!” in my life. I could’ve killed her. Ha.

That was the Eagles show I saw. Very happy I went for the reasoning you end with.

Oh, the Eagles.

Damn man! What an opportunity Laughing

So sad about Glenn. The one thing I felt like my show was missing. But it didn’t matter considering the circumstances. That said, Glenn’s son was damn good, and it didn’t hurt they look like twins.

Reactions: 829305
giphy.gif
You just said don't laugh.....to the guy that listed back street boys as one of his best all time concerts.

Reactions: toonces11
I was supposed to be seeing Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers this week at the United Center :(

Reactions: toonces11
Metallica circa 1998 in Minneapolis, MN. I was 18/19 and grew up pretty conservative, so the experience was especially memorable because: 1) I'm pretty sure I got high from all the pot smoke by our nose bleed seats in the Target Center (upper deck was like sitting in a cloud, all we could see were the pyrotechnics); 2) a dude spilled a beer all over me and bought me one to make up for it; and 3) we got pulled over on the way home because my friend's vehicle resembled that from a hit and run. Metallic is a great show, and I think that one also had Kid Rock (in his Bwadadadaa days and not his... current iteration) opening.

Anyway, my friend had been told his whole life by his southern mom that if he ever got pulled over to get out of the car and approach the cop, so he put that plan into action. It's 1:00 am on a highway in MN farm country and the cops do not take kindly to that, so the cops pulled guns, put my friend on the ground roughly, and spent about 45 minutes grilling him. After about 45 minutes, multiple rounds of statements, and an observation that I smelled like beer (I thought that I would get arrested), the cops heard over their radio that the real hit and run driver was caught and they let us go. This being before cell phones were in wide use, my parents were very worried, and it didn't help that their son arrived home at 2:30 am smelling like beer and telling tales of being in police custody.

Best time I ever had at a concert was also the worst music I ever heard at a concert. Grateful Dead last concert ever, 1994 Soldier Field. Music was beyond terrible as Jerry Garcia was clearly on his last legs, but i was on 4 hits of acid and had the time of my life.

me and the GF at the time bought 2 hits in the parking lot, took them, and then 20 minutes later decided they weren't working and bought 2 more. Spoiler: THEY ALL WORKED.

Reactions: UL_1986 and klize17
Best time I ever had at a concert was also the worst music I ever heard at a concert. Grateful Dead last concert ever, 1994 Soldier Field. Music was beyond terrible as Jerry Garcia was clearly on his last legs, but i was on 4 hits of acid and had the time of my life.

me and the GF at the time bought 2 hits in the parking lot, took them, and then 20 minutes later decided they weren't working and bought 2 more. Spoiler: THEY ALL WORKED.
Lol, I saw the dead post Garcia, and the first thirty something minutes into the show...I thought they were still tuning.

Pink Floyd at Vanderbilt Stadium in '94. It was ridiculous. Back then we went to concerts all the time but nothing ever came close to that one.

Since nothing else is going on, best concert you have attended? Mine was probably Backstreet Boys in Louisville this past year. 2nd would have to be Waka Flocka in Lexington last summer. S**t was hype!

Mark Knophler with Emmy Lou Harris at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

Bruce Springsteen. The energy and emotional roller coaster ride that go into one of his marathon concerts is legendary.

I've seen Bruce about 30x, and most of them either in The Pit, or non-Pit GA whenever I didn't get drawn in the lottery for The Pit. Two most recent shows were The River Tour from 2016 when I was in GA (floor standing behind the Pit) at the YUM,and then actually had seats for the show at Auburn Hills, outside Detroit...

I've been going to concerts for close to 50 yrs,and I've seen most of the Greats. Stones,Who,every variation of CSN&Y, The Dead, The Band,Santana,Eagles,Beach Boys,Traffic, as well as seeing people like Tom Morello,Bob Seger,John Fogerty, Eddie Vedder and Neil playing with Bruce.

There is nothing like a Springsteen show, esp somewhere where the fans are crazy like Italy, Sweden or like this video from Barcelona, back in 2002...

Reactions: Steelers2012
I've seen Bruce about 30x, and most of them either in The Pit, or non-Pit GA whenever I didn't get drawn in the lottery for The Pit. Two most recent shows were The River Tour from 2016 when I was in GA (floor standing behind the Pit) at the YUM,and then actually had seats for the show at Auburn Hills, outside Detroit...

I've been going to concerts for close to 50 yrs,and I've seen most of the Greats. Stones,Who,every variation of CSN&Y, The Dead, The Band,Santana,Eagles,Beach Boys,Traffic, as well as seeing people like Tom Morello,Bob Seger,John Fogerty, Eddie Vedder and Neil playing with Bruce.

There is nothing like a Springsteen show, esp somewhere where the fans are crazy like Italy, Sweden or like this video from Barcelona, back in 2002...

So you’ve seen Springsteen throughout several decades? Think he’s still worth seeing?

I’ve wanted to go to a Springsteen show, but I’ve assumed that it would be nothing like a show from the 80s.

So you’ve seen Springsteen throughout several decades? Think he’s still worth seeing?

I’ve wanted to go to a Springsteen show, but I’ve assumed that it would be nothing like a show from the 80s.

Actually, I only saw one 20th Century show, during the BITUSA tour at Frankfurt (GER) in 1985. I moved around a lot for the next 15 yrs, and didn't have internet. So I wasn't connected to any Springsteen fans, he broke up the ESB and I didn't see any other shows, including the Reunion tours (circa 1999-2000).

I was a pretty casual fan, didn't even know he was playing in Indy till I drove by and saw people lined up for the Pit the night the Reunion tour was playing in Indy. I was working so I couldn't go, but after seeing the HBO broadcast of Live in NYC I realized what I had been missing out on.

Wasn't sure if the ESB would even tour again, but then 9-11 led to The Rising, and that was right as I got a job with an airline that meant I could fly cheap. I saw 5 shows on that tour, including the closing night in a sleet storm at Shea Stadium.

He continued to tour and I continued to fly or drive to shows, including Bonnaroo in 2009. I took a buddy to the most recent show I attended (Detroit 2016) where he played the entire River album and my friend was blown away. He was casually acquainted with some of Bruce's music, but the energy and the entire experience was something that hit him like a ton of bricks. And we weren't even in The Pit, or on the floor...

The thing about Bruce live is that he loves to play and he works at making sure everyone who comes to see him has a good time. And the ESB is just a joy to watch and listen to because they LOVE what they do and it shows. I went to the FF4 Concert in Dallas in 2014, and I remember after the show walking back to my car and just seeing crowds of college-age fans who were amazed at the passion and brilliance of what they had witnessed. And that wasn't even a standard 3+ hr show, more like 2 hrs...

ADVERTISEMENT