ADVERTISEMENT

Once again AUBURN is the best team in the country

Fair point. Our schedule to this point has been no murderers row. Just solid mid-majors. Under the new NET system, that's the smartest way to schedule in OOC. It rewards you for playing mid majors that will finish around the top 100 and punishes you severely for playing teams that will finish at the bottom of the rankings. You are better off playing a bunch of decent mid majors than a couple of high majors along with several low majors.

acc in basketball is like sec in football. we can play some cupcakes late cause we have played 3 top ten teams in conference. Duke can play the sisters of the poor early cause their conference NET wins will cover it up.

Beauty of being in a strong league.

Reactions: DM8
I live in Richmond. I see VCU and U of R 10-20 a season. I would love to see Richmond do well, and they will finish better than last year. They are not going to win the A-10 though. I advertise on their scoreboard I would to have every Richmond game on TV and them winning.
Those are two great programs to follow. Is VCU as good as advertised this year?

I am glad you guys can take solace in the asterisk laden trophy. By the looks of this year's team, UVA won't have the offense necessary to win much of anything again for a while.

We lost probably 85% of our scoring from last year so I wasn't expecting much this year. Next year we'll be right back at the top of the ACC and NCAAB.

NCAA basketball champions from 2018 to 1939Championship History

Here are the programs which have won the NCAA men's basketball championship:

Year Champion (Record) Coach Score Runner-Up Site
2019 Virginia (35-3) Tony Bennett 85-77 (OT) Texas Tech Minneapolis, Minn. ****** No asterisk here. ****
2018 Villanova (36-4) Jay Wright 79-62 Michigan San Antonio, Tex.
2017 North Carolina (33-7) Roy Williams 71-65 Gonzaga Phoenix, Ariz.
2016 Villanova (35-5) Jay Wright 77-74 North Carolina Houston, Texas
2015 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 68-63 Wisconsin Indianapolis, Ind.
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Louisville (35-5)* Rick Pitino 82-76 Michigan Atlanta, Ga.
2012 Kentucky (38-2) John Calipari 67-59 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Duke (35-5) Mike Krzyzewski 61-59 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
2009 North Carolina (34-4) Roy Williams 89-72 Michigan State Detroit, Mich.
2008 Kansas (37-3) Bill Self 75-68 (OT) Memphis San Antonio, Texas
2007 Florida (35-5) Billy Donovan 84-75 Ohio State Atlanta, Ga.
2006 Florida (33-6) Billy Donovan 73-57 UCLA Indianapolis, Ind.
2005 North Carolina (33-4) Roy Williams 75-70 Illinois St. Louis, Mo.
2004 Connecticut (33-6) Jim Calhoun 82-73 Georgia Tech San Antonio, Texas
2003 Syracuse (30-5) Jim Boeheim 81-78 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2002 Maryland (32-4) Gary Williams 64-52 Indiana Atlanta, Ga.
2001 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 82-72 Arizona Minneapolis, Minn.
2000 Michigan State (32-7) Tom Izzo 89-76 Florida Indianapolis, Ind.

NCAA says we champions.

acc in basketball is like sec in football. we can play some cupcakes late cause we have played 3 top ten teams in conference. Duke can play the sisters of the poor early cause their conference NET wins will cover it up.

Beauty of being in a strong league.
Counterpoint: Check out NC State last year. They still missed the tournament despite playing in the ACC and only being 1 game under .500. They played us, Wisky and a couple of other decent teams OOC, but they also played a ton of teams that finished 300+ which wrecked their computer rankings.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Counterpoint: Check out NC State last year. They still missed the tournament despite playing in the ACC and only being 1 game under .500. They played us, Wisky and a couple of other decent teams OOC, but they also played a ton of teams that finished 300+ which wrecked their computer rankings.

Yea but Duke isnt going to go 500 in conference. Atleast i would think they wouldnt.

We lost probably 85% of our scoring from last year so I wasn't expecting much this year. Next year we'll be right back at the top of the ACC and NCAAB.

NCAA basketball champions from 2018 to 1939Championship History

Here are the programs which have won the NCAA men's basketball championship:

Year Champion (Record) Coach Score Runner-Up Site
2019 Virginia (35-3) Tony Bennett 85-77 (OT) Texas Tech Minneapolis, Minn. ****** No asterisk here. ****
2018 Villanova (36-4) Jay Wright 79-62 Michigan San Antonio, Tex.
2017 North Carolina (33-7) Roy Williams 71-65 Gonzaga Phoenix, Ariz.
2016 Villanova (35-5) Jay Wright 77-74 North Carolina Houston, Texas
2015 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 68-63 Wisconsin Indianapolis, Ind.
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Louisville (35-5)* Rick Pitino 82-76 Michigan Atlanta, Ga.
2012 Kentucky (38-2) John Calipari 67-59 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Duke (35-5) Mike Krzyzewski 61-59 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
2009 North Carolina (34-4) Roy Williams 89-72 Michigan State Detroit, Mich.
2008 Kansas (37-3) Bill Self 75-68 (OT) Memphis San Antonio, Texas
2007 Florida (35-5) Billy Donovan 84-75 Ohio State Atlanta, Ga.
2006 Florida (33-6) Billy Donovan 73-57 UCLA Indianapolis, Ind.
2005 North Carolina (33-4) Roy Williams 75-70 Illinois St. Louis, Mo.
2004 Connecticut (33-6) Jim Calhoun 82-73 Georgia Tech San Antonio, Texas
2003 Syracuse (30-5) Jim Boeheim 81-78 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2002 Maryland (32-4) Gary Williams 64-52 Indiana Atlanta, Ga.
2001 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 82-72 Arizona Minneapolis, Minn.
2000 Michigan State (32-7) Tom Izzo 89-76 Florida Indianapolis, Ind.

NCAA says we champions.
The NCAA refs were the ones who gifted you the win over us so of course they aren't putting an asterisk next to it.

Auburn also lost almost all of our offense from last year. Bruce appears to have figured out a way to overcome that. Who is UVA bringing in next year that will substantially improve their offense? (serious question, know nothing about your recruiting)

Fair point. Our schedule to this point has been no murderers row. Just solid mid-majors. Under the new NET system, that's the smartest way to schedule in OOC. It rewards you for playing mid majors that will finish around the top 100 and punishes you severely for playing teams that will finish at the bottom of the rankings. You are better off playing a bunch of decent mid majors than a couple of high majors along with several low majors.

Disagree. Stack your schedule with murderous row and see how good you are. UNC was a 2 seed in 2018 with 10 losses in the regular season. You know why? Because they had something like 12 or 13 Quad 1 Wins. If the KenPom rankings are reflective of the NCAA Net Rankings, Auburn would be 0-0 in Quad 1 Games. That's not going to earn them a high seed.

Yea but Duke isnt going to go 500 in conference. Atleast i would think they wouldnt.
Right. Just pointing out that even teams in a really strong conference don't get a pass for playing a lot of terrible teams OOC. Point being, Bruce has done a great job with our schedule this year setting it up with tons of solid mid-majors that will finish around the top 100 overall mark. If we continue to take care of business in OOC play, we will make the NCAAT even if we were to somehow finish 8-10 in SEC play.

Disagree. Stack your schedule with murderous row and see how good you are. UNC was a 2 seed in 2018 with 10 losses in the regular season. You know why? Because they had something like 12 or 13 Quad 1 Wins. If the KenPom rankings are reflective of the NCAA Net Rankings, Auburn would be 0-0 in Quad 1 Games. That's not going to earn them in a high seed.
Take a look at our schedule for the rest of the way. We have a ton of games against quad 1 opponents left. Of the games we have played thus far, Davidson, Richmond and South Alabama could end up being quad 1 Ws by the end of the year because they were played on a neutral or away. We are also ranked #5 on ESPNs strength of resume metric.

Those are two great programs to follow. Is VCU as good as advertised this year?

VCU is going to be better than last year and definitely challenge for the A10 crown. Richmond is playing for their coach. His job is on the line and his players love the guy. Some Richmond alumni think their small private school should be able to play against the ACC and win the majority of the time. They just don't want to invest any of their cash to help, but will cry when they are losing. I hope Richmond finishes in the top 5 as that will probably save Mooney his job. His team should be competitive for the next 3 years with what he has now.

Disagree. Stack your schedule with murderous row and see how good you are. UNC was a 2 seed in 2018 with 10 losses in the regular season. You know why? Because they had something like 12 or 13 Quad 1 Wins. If the KenPom rankings are reflective of the NCAA Net Rankings, Auburn would be 0-0 in Quad 1 Games. That's not going to earn them a high seed.

as of now you only have 2 quad 1 wins and you also have a pretty bad quadrant 4 lose.

That loss whether you believe it or not basically cancels a quad 1 win away. so you have 1 more then us at this point.

currently kenpom projects:

Duke: 13 quad 1 win opportunities and 5 quad 2 win opportunities
Auburn: 11 quad 1 win opportunities and 7 quad 2 win opportunities

VCU is going to be better than last year and definitely challenge for the A10 crown. Richmond is playing for their coach. His job is on the line and his players love the guy. Some Richmond alumni think their small private school should be able to play against the ACC and win the majority of the time. They just don't want to invest any of their cash to help, but will cry when they are losing. I hope Richmond finishes in the top 5 as that will probably save Mooney his job. His team should be competitive for the next 3 years with what he has now.
Gotcha. Richmond seemed to be well-coached against us. They have some solid players, but couldn't hit enough shots to make up for the lack of depth and overall athleticism. Just looking through their recent seasons, I did not realize they had not made the NCAA field since 2011. Their boosters should understand it takes investment to get that kind of success on a regular basis.

as of now you only have 2 quad 1 wins and you also have a pretty bad quadrant 4 lose.

That loss whether you believe it or not basically cancels a quad 1 win away. so you have 1 more then us at this point.

currently kenpom projects:

Duke: 13 quad 1 win opportunities and 5 quad 2 win opportunities
Auburn: 11 quad 1 win opportunities and 7 quad 2 win opportunities

What you have to remember with the KenPom rankings is the first two months are built in with prediction models to help buffer the small sample size. SF Austin is actually 101 in the Sagarin Ratings. If they beat Alabama this weekend, which is very possible, they should remain around 100 for the remainder of the season. Not a terrible, terrible loss. And Georgetown is only a few spots away from being a Quad 1 win. Like I said, G'twon without Akinjo might actually improve the team.

Really not concerned at all. Yes, ACC is kind of underwhelming this year. We aren't going to have as many Quad 1 games as I'd like, but I think we'll win 60-80% of those. Good enough for at least a 3 seed. Again, not saying Auburn is bad. They're very, very good. But how good is a big question mark at this point in the season.

What you have to remember with the KenPom rankings is the first two months are built in with prediction models to help buffer the small sample size. SF Austin is actually 101 in the Sagarin Ratings. If they beat Alabama this weekend, which is very possible, they should remain around 100 for the remainder of the season. Not a terrible, terrible loss. And Georgetown is only a few spots away from being a Quad 1 win. Like I said, G'twon without Akinjo might actually improve the team.

Really not concerned at all. Yes, ACC is kind of underwhelming this year. We aren't going to have as many Quad 1 games as I'd like, but I think we'll win 60-80% of those. Good enough for at least a 3 seed. Again, not saying Auburn is bad. They're very, very good. But how good is a big question mark at this point in the season.

You tried to use bama as a quality win for SFA. I cant anymore. Toasted Oats team is hot garbage. Also thinking Georgetown is going to be solid while losing 2 maybe potentially 4 scholarship players mid season. EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

everything else i agree with.

Why did you have to tell me SFA is playing bama now i have to root for the place to implode mid game. Actually ill be rooting for SFA, ALWAYS AGAINST BAMA.

You tried to use bama as a quality win for SFA. I cant anymore. Toasted Oats team is hot garbage. Also thinking Georgetown is going to be solid while losing 2 maybe potentially 4 scholarship players mid season. EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

everything else i agree with.

Why did you have to tell me SFA is playing bama now i have to root for the place to implode mid game. Actually ill be rooting for SFA, ALWAYS AGAINST BAMA.

Georgetown took down #26 Oklahoma State last night. No? Perhaps there will be more departures. I just think there's a chance they might be better without Akinjo. Terrell Allen started on UCF's Round of 32 team last year. McClung and Mosely have shown promise. Just thought Akinjo wasn't a good enough shooter to justify 13 shots a game.

Bama has looked uninspiring. Not a great team. But still probably in the top 100. And for a team like SF Austin that doesn't get many quality games, a win against a top 100 team will actually go a long ways. Either way, I think Duke is fine. They might not win it all this year (probably won't). They may not even make it to the second weekend. But I'd be very surprised if they're any worse than a 3 seed this year.

It would be a huge failure if AU lost a game this year.

That is what Auburn fans are selling, right? Just look at their schedule.

Would KU really agree to play us again after the mauling they took in the tourney last year? Seems unlikely.

Of course. KU is much better this season and you....well, you brought back 30% of the scoring from that game. Easy as pie.

You make some good points. All Auburn fans will be pulling for SFA to take down bama. Duke has no reason to be concerned. You murdered Michigan State on the road. ACC looks pretty meh this year and I would bet Duke wins the regular season outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Of course. KU is much better this season and you....well, you brought back 30% of the scoring from that game. Easy as pie.

no one asked about Kansas. if you didnt make it to the 2nd weekend last year then you arent in this convo. please GTFO.

We'll see how good our team ends up being. I did not expect us to play this well already after having to replace 3 elite players who accounted for most of our scoring. Bruce has adapted very well to the talent he has on hand. With Okoro on the roster this year and Purifoy and Wiley playing drastically better than last year, I think we may end up with more regular-season wins. Obviously a deep tourney run is harder to expect given all the factors that go into making that happen.

We'll see how good our team ends up being. I did not expect us to play this well already after having to replace 3 elite players who accounted for most of our scoring. Bruce has adapted very well to the talent he has on hand. With Okoro on the roster this year and Purifoy and Wiley playing drastically better than last year, I think we may end up with more regular-season wins. Obviously a deep tourney run is harder to expect given all the factors that go into making that happen.

With all due respect, how can you guage how well they are playing? It's not like they're beating everyone by 50. They have a few blowouts, a 1-point win over a scrub, and a few others that were close. No one they've played will likely get an at-large bid.

With all due respect, how can you guage how well they are playing? It's not like they're beating everyone by 50. They have a few blowouts, a 1-point win over a scrub, and a few others that were close. No one they've played will likely get an at-large bid.
ESPN's has us with the #5 SOR thus far. We haven't played any great teams, but we have been obliterating teams that are pretty solid. I think we have seen enough to know we are a fairly good team. FWIW, I agree we won't know until January when we go on the road in the SEC exactly how good our team is though.

That scrub wont get and at-large cause they are going to win their conference tourney.

The fvck is a Quad 1 game?

A quadrant 1 win is defined as a game for the home team vs. teams with RPI ranked 1-30, a neutral-court game vs. 1-50 or an away game vs. 1–75.

but anyone counting them now is looking at fools gold.

That scrub wont get and at-large cause they are going to win their conference tourney.

Hold on...you're claiming that S Alabama would be an at-large?

Oh, shit....

(Btw, the next game after Auburn's dramatic victory, S Alabama got rolled by Chattanooga)

Hold on...you're claiming that S Alabama would be an at-large?

Oh, shit....

(Btw, the next game after Auburn's dramatic victory, S Alabama got rolled by Chattanooga)

never said they were going to get an at large. i said they wouldnt need one cause they would get an automatic. please keep up.

never said they were going to get an at large. i said they wouldnt need one cause they would get an automatic. please keep up.

No, goof.
You said they won't get an at-large "cause they're going to win their conference tourney." Implying that they would otherwise.

ESPN's has us with the #5 SOR thus far. We haven't played any great teams, but we have been obliterating teams that are pretty solid. I think we have seen enough to know we are a fairly good team. FWIW, I agree we won't know until January when we go on the road in the SEC exactly how good our team is though.

The only team that Auburn has blown out that is arguably decent is New Mexico. And that's very debatable. They've also struggled to put away several weak teams.

No, goof.
You said they won't get an at-large "cause they're going to win their conference tourney." Implying that they would otherwise.

well num nuts you cant have an at large and auto. and no i dont think they will get an at large. they are in the sunbelt. no enough quad 1 and quad 2 wins there. plus we broke their will.

Im so in your head and so is Auburn, its glAUrious

The only team that Auburn has blown out that is arguably decent is New Mexico. And that's very debatable. They've also struggled to put away several weak teams.

Georgia Southern W, 83-74 +9
Davidson W, 76-66 +10
South Alabama W, 70-69
Cal St. Northridge W, 116-70 +46
Colgate W, 91-62 +29
New Mexico W, 84-59 +25
Richmond W, 79-65 +14

Average margin of victory outside of S. Alabama is 23 points. i would say thats handling it well. which weak teams did they not handle?

well num nuts you cant have an at large and auto. and no i dont think they will get an at large. they are in the sunbelt. no enough quad 1 and quad 2 wins there. plus we broke their will.

Im so in your head and so is Auburn, its glAUrious

So your original statement was completely pointless. Got it.

Btw, that scrub (yes, scrub) got rolled by another scrub the very next game.

So your original statement was completely pointless. Got it.

Btw, that scrub (yes, scrub) got rolled by another scrub the very next game.

yeah and duke got beat by SFA and UK by Evansville. basketball happens. you keep harping on that. i never said S. Alabama was a world beater. but we won so who the fook cares.

i mean if staying on this schtick gets you over the beat down we gave you last march then more power to you man.

Georgia Southern W, 83-74 +9
Davidson W, 76-66 +10
South Alabama W, 70-69
Cal St. Northridge W, 116-70 +46
Colgate W, 91-62 +29
New Mexico W, 84-59 +25
Richmond W, 79-65 +14

Average margin of victory outside of S. Alabama is 23 points. i would say thats handling it well. which weak teams did they not handle?

Cal St Northridge is awful. Anyone would blow them out. Colgate is bad. So out of the halfway respectable teams, you blew out one. And almost lost to a poor team.

yeah and duke got beat by SFA and UK by Evansville. basketball happens. you keep harping on that. i never said S. Alabama was a world beater. but we won so who the fook cares.

i mean if staying on this schtick gets you over the beat down we gave you last march then more power to you man.

Who cares?

Well, let's see....I keep hearing that you're blowing everyone away. Yet you were literally losing to South Alabama with 3 seconds left.

Last edited:
Bump for more spirited discussion of America’s premiere hoops program. A crime against humanity that holidays and playing school have gotten in the way of more Auburn games for us to enjoy this month.

Yeah projected 6 seed. Obviously the science doesn’t support Michigan quite yet. Doesn’t love Gonzaga or UNC either so makes sense. Suspect a big W tonight would be a nice boost.

Science was right. Michigan is overrated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT