ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK to lighten up the mood, Barkley is commentating on the Bryson/Rodgers v Phil/Brady golf match. He busted out with this a few min ago. I almost spit up my beer. Dude is hilarious and is the only one that can away with this on national prime time tv.

I'd say the data is a bit inconclusive on the matter but it's clearly impactful. The average# of freshmen who shot 38% or better with the old line was 3.6 freshmen vs 0.5 freshmen since the line changed.

Freshman shooting 38% or better by year:

2020-21 0
2019-20 1
2018-19 5
2017-18 2
2016-17 6
2015-16 1
2014-15 6
2013-14 2
2012-13 3
Have to think Covid played a part in last years numbers with limited practice.

Eh, Purdue was pretty young and brings back basically everyone, and I’m a fan of their freshmen, no 5 stars but definitely contributors. I think they’re right there.

We bring back a starting 5 that should be on par with our Elite 8 starting 5 and we should be more talented and deeper on the bench. Would not be surprised to be both teams in the top 5 ala Michigan and Illinois.

Reactions: MGC_07
So you don’t think with better spacing, TJD doesn’t convert some of those shots that resulted in free throw attempts?
I don't think a few worse % 3pt shooting will affect the spacing, 236 ranking to say 300 was 1.7% difference. TJD didn't finish because I believe a lot were him having a goal of making it to the FT line, part of Archie's wonderful plan.

I don't think a few worse % 3pt shooting will affect the spacing, 236 ranking to say 300 was 1.7% difference. TJD didn't finish because I believe a lot were him having a goal of making it to the FT line, part of Archie's wonderful plan.
He also doesn’t finish well through contact as of now. Hopefully that’s been something he’s been working on in the offseason. If he were only to fix one of that or his shooting, I’d be very happy with him just being a more effective finisher around the rim.

Edit: That being said, just by Woodson increasing the pace of their offense, it’s going to help TJD get a lot more easy buckets. His clear strength is his athleticism with his size, so hopefully that leads to more transition opportunities for him before the defense gets fully set. Here’s to hoping we don’t have the pleasure of seeing rob walk the ball up as slowly as possible anymore….

I’d take Dickinson over Williams 10 times out of 10 if given the chance. Just one mans opinion though
I think he’s talking about the combo. Dickinson can’t play 40 minutes and Edey will likely have a distinct advantage over Michigan’s backup.

Dickinson 30mpg
Diabate 10mpg

vs

Williams 20mpg
Edey 20mpg

It’s pretty even id think.
I think there’s going to be a lot of peeved Purdue fans if Williams is only logging 20 minutes a game.

How many minutes Edey carves out next year is honestly the thing I’m probably most interested in regards to their roster.

I think there’s going to be a lot of peeved Purdue fans if Williams is only logging 20 minutes a game.

How many minutes Edey carves out next year is honestly the thing I’m probably most interested in regards to their roster.

Did they play much / at all together? The minutes were more just hypothetical

I’d say it’ll be around 23-25 mpg again if I was guessing. Edey anywhere in the 15-20 min range depending on how Painter shakes it up probably. Trevion has the tendency to get into foul trouble too which ultimately limits his season average anyway.

I’m most curious how much Furst plays/at what position.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24

Not sure about that. I’m good with whichever is playing well. Edey is averaging 15 and 16 for Team Canada right now to lead them in both scoring and rebounding.

Tre is a bit better offensively and a better passer but Edey is a better defender.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
They did some more at the end of the season depending on the other team’s bigs. No way they could do that with a stretch 4 on the opposing team though.

Or Painter was doing an Offense/defense switch at the end of games where Edey would come in for offense and him and Trevion would do a high/low offensive set that was effective more times than not.

but still think it’ll be a very situation dependent and limited combo.

Yeah, I figured that’s what you were doing. I’d have to defer to a Purdue guy because I didn’t watch the majority of their games, but I don’t believe they shared the floor often at all.
That’s why I’m interested in Edey’s role, especially with the new front court guys coming in. It’s going to be difficult to increase his role, but I could be off base on that.

Not sure about that. I’m good with whichever is playing well. Edey is averaging 15 and 16 for Team Canada right now to lead them in both scoring and rebounding.

Tre is a bit better offensively and a better passer but Edey is a better defender.
Fair enough. I’m probably underestimating Edey.

Fair enough. I’m probably underestimating Edey.
I think Edey’s closest comparison is Haas. But he’s more mobile, better rebounder/defender, doesn’t shy away from contact as much as Haas did, and somehow is 2 inches taller. Truly think the sky is the limit for the kid as he continues to polish his game.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11

Wouldn't be peeved at all, Edey has a much higher ceiling than Williams. I don't think people realize that Edey is the largest center Painter has had (7'4" and 7'7" wingspan), and not only is the guy a giant, he moves well and has great hands.

He averaged nearly 15 mpg as a frosh and I expect that number to increase this year. With added PT and experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see his production improve to 12+ ppg and 9+ rpg.

Wouldn't be peeved at all, Edey has a much higher ceiling than Williams. I don't think people realize that Edey is the largest center Painter has had (7'4" and 7'7" wingspan), and not only is the guy a giant, he moves well and has great hands.

He averaged nearly 15 mpg as a frosh and I expect that number to increase this year. With added PT and experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see his production improve to 12+ ppg and 9+ rpg.
What are your expectations for the rest of the team scoring and rebounding wise? 12 ppg is a lot when Williams will be scoring a lot, and Purdue fans seem to think Ivey is in line to average 20+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT