ADVERTISEMENT

Annual which is better thread- RS championship or CT championship?

What's more important?

• Total voters

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
Well?

What is more important, and what will be more important going forward as conferences idiotically continue to expand with only football in mind with no regard for how other sports will have to deal with the consequences?

If the Big Ten or say the Big 12 balloons to 20+ teams, will a regular season title be all that important given the changes scheduling will have to undergo? Will they even feasibly be able to have a conference tournament with that many teams? Would it even be necessary?

Aside from the obviously way smaller sample size, teams have varying strategies and goals in the conference tourney. They're not always putting 100% effort into winning it. Sometimes they'll sit players or give starters extra minutes on the bench to be fresher for the big dance. While other teams are putting everything they have into it because it's their only chance to make the field.

Aside from the obviously way smaller sample size, teams have varying strategies and goals in the conference tourney. They're not always putting 100% effort into winning it. Sometimes they'll sit players or give starters extra minutes on the bench to be fresher for the big dance. While other teams are putting everything they have into it because it's their only chance to make the field.
Yep. I’d be good if Purdue loses early in the BTT. We’ve locked up the 1 seed going thru Indy and Detroit. Zero benefit in playing 3 games in 3 days the weekend before the tournament starts.

Seems pretty simple. The regular season seems to generally be who the best team is in the conference. It would be difficult to argue otherwise. It is also what the committee places the most emphasis on.

The tournament is often the official winner of the conference though so that's pretty cool as well. I love the conference tournaments. They aren't what they used to be but they are still pretty awesome.

I do still want to get people's thoughts on where conference tournaments, at least with the major conferences, are heading.

Do we really think the SEC and Big Ten will continue picking up the pieces in the wake of the destruction left behind by their football counterparts?

The SEC could easily do a 16-team tournament.....but would they want to?

The B10 has mentioned that they may have the bottom teams be left out of the conference tournament to keep it from being bloated, but that would also defeat the purpose of the conference tournaments being an extension of the NCAA Tournament, where technically ANYONE can still "qualify and win it all".

Then what happens when the ACC collapses?

These are elephants in the room that will eventually need to be addressed, and much sooner than people seem to care to admit................

I say regular season was more meaningful and still is, but with unbalanced schedules I don't think it will be as good of an indicator of the best team.

Take the SEC. Two permanent home and home, one rotating home and home, and 12 single games home or away. It's possible the "best" team gets the hardest schedule and the next best team gets a much easier draw so they win.

But the tournament is more exciting to win.

I’ll be contrarian and say the tournament. Conference scheduled are unbalanced and some teams peak later in the season.

We use the NCAAT to determine the national champion, why wouldn’t we use the Conference tourney to determine the Conference Champion?

How about winning a few games in a 3 week span?.............
NCAAT is different.

Team "A" goes 17-3 in conference. Wins reg season by two games.

10 seed gets hot, wins the conference tournament.

Sure its impressive to win 4 games in 4 days. But which more impressive: Being good for a week, or being good for 2 months?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT