ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s true. You make it hard to dislike a guy.

What were your thoughts of him?
Developable. Protypical size and build for a P5 QB. Needs to become (much) less of a turnover machine. Stuff like below was too commonplace. Lost his job to Vedral who is also kind of bad. Bringing in a 4* QB next year (2022) so I am sure Art saw the potential between Vedral in '21 and the 2022 kid of being only a backup at Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaycg15
Developable. Protypical size and build for a P5 QB. Needs to become (much) less of a turnover machine. Stuff like below was too commonplace. Lost his job to Vedral who is also kind of bad. Bringing in a 4* QB next year (2022) so I am sure Art saw the potential between Vedral in '21 and the 2022 kid of being only a backup at Rutgers.

Wtf was that?

Wtf was that?

He was a freshman getting pounded when Chris Ash was our HC. Ash was atrocious as both an HC and recruiter. Fun combo. Kid was shell shocked by the end. But yeah, that one was so bad I knew exactly where I could find it.

He played some snaps for Schiano last year. He definitely got a bit better with the better coaching he got last season.

Regular season polls suck too. Rating systems are better. Michigan is usually underrated in preseason polls. I think our final Kenpom ranking has outpaced our preseason polls in 5 straight seasons. Not sure many teams can claim that.
Purdue is close.

Preseason AP - KenPom
2016 23 - 9
2017 15 - 19
2018 20 - 5
2019 24 - 9
2020 23 - 24
2021 UR - 25

EzgjqCfXsAQOBn9
Speaking of Penn State glad to hear nothing has changed

Purdue is close.

Preseason AP - KenPom
2016 23 - 9
2017 15 - 19
2018 20 - 5
2019 24 - 9
2020 23 - 24
2021 UR - 25

Michigan

2017 23 - 20 (Beilein)
2018 UR - 7 (Beilein)
2019 19 - 6 (Beilein)
2020 UR - 16 (Howard)
2021 25 - 3 (Howard)

Michigan St.

2017 12 - 40 (Izzo)
2018 2 - 6 (Izzo)
2019 10 - 3 (Izzo)
2020 1 - 7 (Izzo)
2021 13 - 64 (Izzo)

Michigan

2017 23 - 20 (Beilein)
2018 UR - 7 (Beilein)
2019 19 - 6 (Beilein)
2020 UR - 16 (Howard)
2021 25 - 3 (Howard)

Michigan St.

2017 12 - 40 (Izzo)
2018 2 - 6 (Izzo)
2019 10 - 3 (Izzo)
2020 1 - 7 (Izzo)
2021 13 - 64 (Izzo)
All I see is us finishing ranked higher than you 3/5 times. You should go back another year as well.

Reactions: MKE Spartan
All I see is us finishing ranked higher than you 3/5 times. You should go back another year as well.

We know where you set your bar. Who cares if you miss the tournament field of 64 as long as the year before you finished higher than Michigan.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
Well in his defense, you did typically Finish Lower than your preseason ranking 🤷🏽‍♂️
If you want to talk specifics, I think you can hold this year and 2017/18 against us, those teams were a bit disappointing (17/18 less so than this year), but 16/17 we had one guy over 6’6 on the roster because of injuries. We had only freshman Nick Ward as our sole big. We had 6’5 Matt Van Dyk on Isaac Haas at points that season out of necessity. I wouldn’t really count that season against us. I’m haply we kept the tournament streak alive that year.

And 2019/2020, the team definitely took some lumps early in the year but were absolutely rolling to end the year. 4 straight double digit wins against top 25 teams. We were finally playing like the team we were supposed to be heading into March. It’s a shame the tournament got canceled. It’s also not like we were wildly worse than expected, we finished inside the top 10 and would have been one of the top picks on most brackets I presume. We also won the only championship we could have competed for that year, the Big Ten. If you want to nit pick you can call that team disappointing, but by the end of the year they were playing the basketball most expected them to play.

I’m not trying to be a homer here though. We were really disappointing in 17/18. Yeah, we had a good record, but we scraped by in every game and just seemed to never reach the ceiling we had. It was a really frustrating year. All the pieces to be successful yet team never played cohesively. And this year was a shit show.

I’m also completely ignoring the year we were ranked around 15 and won the Big Ten, the BTT, and made the Final Four in this discussion. It’s not like we never do it.

Reactions: RichardMassive
If you want to talk specifics, I think you can hold this year and 2017/18 against us, those teams were a bit disappointing (17/18 less so than this year), but 16/17 we had one guy over 6’6 on the roster because of injuries. We had only freshman Nick Ward as our sole big. We had 6’5 Matt Van Dyk on Isaac Haas at points that season out of necessity. I wouldn’t really count that season against us. I’m haply we kept the tournament streak alive that year.

And 2019/2020, the team definitely took some lumps early in the year but were absolutely rolling to end the year. 4 straight double digit wins against top 25 teams. We were finally playing like the team we were supposed to be heading into March. It’s a shame the tournament got canceled. It’s also not like we were wildly worse than expected, we finished inside the top 10 and would have been one of the top picks on most brackets I presume. We also won the only championship we could have competed for that year, the Big Ten. If you want to nit pick you can call that team disappointing, but by the end of the year they were playing the basketball most expected them to play.

I’m not trying to be a homer here though. We were really disappointing in 17/18. Yeah, we had a good record, but we scraped by in every game and just seemed to never reach the ceiling we had. It was a really frustrating year. All the pieces to be successful yet team never played cohesively. And this year was a shit show.

I’m also completely ignoring the year we were ranked around 15 and won the Big Ten, the BTT, and made the Final Four in this discussion. It’s not like we never do it.

Michigan has finished higher than their preseason ranking 5 straight seasons. In 2 of the past 5 seasons Izzo’s crew has finished 28 or more sports lower than their preseason ranking.

Michigan has finished higher than their preseason ranking 5 straight seasons. In 2 of the past 5 seasons Izzo’s crew has finished 28 or more sports lower than their preseason ranking.
I really don’t blame 2016-2017 on MSU or Izzo. Injuries ****ed us and we got destroyed down low because we didn’t have big men, period. If you want to laugh at MSU because our first and second string big got hurt and we had to play 6’5 Matt Van Dyk serious big ten minutes out of necessity, do whatever you want. But I will firmly disagree. Nick Ward was the sole player taller than 6’6 on that roster, and he was 6’8.

This year was a shit show and I have nothing to say about it besides that.

Congrats to UM. You guys are underrated typically and I have agreed with you on that going into seasons and I still think it this year. Not sure why you brought that up.

I will say, it’s kind of annoying how underrated you guys are going into this year, because if you guys are top 5 like you more than likely will be you’ll be able to claim you outperformed expectations again. It’s just like the national media is doing it on purpose at this point. How could you have watched last season and see who’s coming back and the class coming in and say, yeah, that’s not a top 10 team. It’s baffling.

I

I’m personally not a believer in Johns. He has good physical tools and he’ll be a decent role player but doesn’t have the right mental makeup to be anything more than that IMO. Personally think our highest upside will come with Diabate or a lineup that has Houston playing the 4 (his more natural spot) alongside guys like Bufkin/Barnes/Zeb at the 3.
Agree everything gets clunkier with johns out there. He just has a very low bball iq. I won’t be shocked if Terrance Williams emerges at the 4.

That’s what you sent us!?

He can start day 1!

Reactions: RutgHoops
Probably homo board material, but MSU just got a preferred walk-on commit in 2022 from a guy with a few Division 1 offers, Peter Nwoke. An athletic 6’8 PF, but still raw. Just started playing serious ball a few years back, he moved from Nigeria.

The last time we got a preferred walk-on PF out of the metro Detroit area. He hit a shot over Zion Williamson to send us to the Final Four.

Probably homo board material, but MSU just got a preferred walk-on commit in 2022 from a guy with a few Division 1 offers, Peter Nwoke. An athletic 6’8 PF, but still raw. Just started playing serious ball a few years back, he moved from Nigeria.

The last time we got a preferred walk-on PF out of the metro Detroit area. He hit a shot over Zion Williamson to send us to the Final Four.
Should have stopped at homo board material

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT