ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’d be disappointed by a finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten, but I think this is a right the ship year. I want to finish the year within the top 25, I think that would be a nice season. Hopefully one of Walker or Akins can be a viable PG for us. We really lacked that last year. I would be more concerned for our program if we’re the bad again this year.

You guys are definitely going to be really good. Tons of pieces, the bench is great too.
Yore best pg is in the transfer portal.

tenor.gif

So you think izzo will have the worse two year stretch of his career?
Yeah potentially. I mean going from making the tournament to being a top 25 team isn’t like a terrible stretch of years. I think it’s silly to expect us to go from last year to back to being a contender.

@hailtoyourvictor I'm not sure it would be his worst 2 year stretch. He definitely had a worse 2 year stretch his first few years, and 05/06 and then 06/07 we finished .500 in the Big Ten back to back years, so if we’re a solid team this year, that stretch will have been worse.

We’re doing the offseason thread wrong. Let’s talk about some IU-Purdue 3 point percentages.

You pumped about your recruit that’s about to commit? You guys may be a whiter team than Iowa when the 2022 class rolls around.
Since @MGC_07 asked so nicely, don't you think you should get your shitbox of a 3P shooting team's house in order before dogging Purdue for picking up a 45% 3P shooter, regardless of his lack of ideal size?

I think with the portal now you’re going to see less programs taking bottom tier recruits when the swing and miss on Plan A guys (except Iowa). Why go out and get a guy ranked in the 200’s when you can wait for the portal and get someone who averaged double digits at a lower level.

Yeah I’d be disappointed by a finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten, but I think this is a right the ship year. I want to finish the year within the top 25, I think that would be a nice season. Hopefully one of Walker or Akins can be a viable PG for us. We really lacked that last year. I would be more concerned for our program if we’re the bad again this year.

You guys are definitely going to be really good. Tons of pieces, the bench is great too.
Youre the one sparty poster that’s impossible to hate. Hail is trying to bait you, but you’re not going for it lol. You realize that we’re the better team next year and arent crying about it. Kudos...Izzo can still EAD but you’re cool with me MGC

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC_07
Youre the one sparty poster that’s impossible to hate. Hail is trying to bait you, but you’re not going for it lol. You realize that we’re the better team next year and arent crying about it. Kudos...Izzo can still EAD but you’re cool with MGC
I mean I hate UM but I’m not going to argue with Hail over something I don’t really believe in the first place. If I thought you guys would suck I’d say that, but I don’t. I think there are legitimate questions, but every team in the preseason has thought, and it seems you guys have less than problems, or more solvable ones, than most.

I think if Jones can be similar to how Smith was for you guys this year, that’ll be huge. I feel the same way about MSU and Tyson Walker. These mid major players, PG’s especially, can be unpredictable when moving up to the next level. So that would be my biggest worry, because I genuinely can’t think of many other problems you guys have. Maybe defensively now that Wagner is gone you don’t have a lock up wing defender? But Houston is a beast in his own right. I’m really just splitting hairs here. I’d have you guys preseason 1 or 2, Gonzaga being the other team.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Youre the one sparty poster that’s impossible to hate. Hail is trying to bait you, but you’re not going for it lol. You realize that we’re the better team next year and arent crying about it. Kudos...Izzo can still EAD but you’re cool with me MGC

I wouldn’t say I hate him, but the dude shit posts and trolls as much as any of them even if he gives Michigan credit sometimes. So I’ll give it back.

I mean I hate UM but I’m not going to argue with Hail over something I don’t really believe in the first place. If I thought you guys would suck I’d say that, but I don’t. I think there are legitimate questions, but every team in the preseason has thought, and it seems you guys have less than problems, or more solvable ones, than most.

I think if Jones can be similar to how Smith was for you guys this year, that’ll be huge. I feel the same way about MSU and Tyson Walker. These mid major players, PG’s especially, can be unpredictable when moving up to the next level. So that would be my biggest worry, because I genuinely can’t think of many other problems you guys have. Maybe defensively now that Wagner is gone you don’t have a lock up wing defender? But Houston is a beast in his own right. I’m really just splitting hairs here. I’d have you guys preseason 1 or 2, Gonzaga being the other team.
Agreed. I think if Jones is as good as advertised and the freshman play as expected or better then our ceiling is national championship level. But being that well be a younger team next year, shit can potentially go south quickly. We’ll see, but juwan has my trust at this point

I wouldn’t say I hate him, but the dude shit posts and trolls as much as any of them even if he gives Michigan credit sometimes.
Guess I have to pay more attention because I haven’t noticed. He’s the only one of them that seems fair and impartial when he posts...well at least as an impartial as you can expect a fan of your rival school to be

I know this is homeboard like, but it’s the off-season and things are slow so 🤷🏽‍♂️

here’s recent footage of our incoming player im
Most excited about: Frankie Collins. Kids quickness and athleticism are off the charts

I wouldn’t say I hate him, but the dude shit posts and trolls as much as any of them even if he gives Michigan credit sometimes. So I’ll give it back.
And I expect nothing less. I’d do the same thing. I just don’t shit post and troll when I have no material too. The **** am I supposed to say “UM is so ****ed, you’re recruiting class stinks and you bring in no one.”

It’s also hard to troll in the offseason. If UM loses a game, I’ll be in the inseason thread.

Agreed. I think if Jones is as good as advertised and the freshman play as expected or better then our ceiling is national championship level. But being that well be a younger team next year, shit can potentially go south quickly. We’ll see, but juwan has my trust at this point
I’d be far less confident without Brooks. Kid is the glue that’s going to hold it together for you IMO.

I think an issue you could run into is the “too many cooks in the kitchen that can’t cook together,” thing. Our 17-18 team was Uber talented, but that team didn’t mesh well together. We were better the next year starting Kenny Goins and freshman Aaron Henry then Miles and JJJ. Basketball is really weird that way. Talent doesn’t always gel.

Smith is likely going to end up taller and is already stronger than Loyer. Don’t think they’re too similar of players. Smith and Fletcher will be a solid tandem.
Not sure what you are basing Smith’s growth on. His absolute ceiling is Jordy Hulls or Jesus Bohannon. Fletcher will be a solid replacement for Sasha. Waddell and Smith are huge downgrades to Hunter and Ivey.

IMO, Brown was a far superior commit than Smith.

Not sure what you are basing Smith’s growth on. His absolute ceiling is Jordy Hulls or Jesus Bohannon. Fletcher will be a solid replacement for Sasha. Waddell and Smith are huge downgrades to Hunter and Ivey.

IMO, Brown was a far superior commit than Smith.

Mom is 5’10, dad is 6’3. Why would a ceiling of Hulls be a bad thing? I think Smith can be a better defender than Hulls was.

Why are you comparing Waddell to Hunter/Ivey? He’s going to probably play the 3 (maybe some 4) for us.

He’s not walking on lol.
My bad. That makes it even worse.

Why is Purdue taking a commitment from an undersized white PG who isn’t ranked a top 10 player in his class in his own state? The guy doesn’t have other high major offers period. His second best offer is Toledo. Even Foster Loyer who we shouldn’t have taken was consensus a top 100 recruit.

My bad. That makes it even worse.

Why is Purdue taking a commitment from an undersized white PG who isn’t ranked a top 10 player in his class in his own state? The guy doesn’t have other high major offers period. His second best offer is Toledo. Even Foster Loyer who we shouldn’t have taken was consensus a top 100 recruit.

Going to probably take 5 in that class and Painter has taken plenty of guards that didn’t have high major offers (Chris Kramer, PJ Thompson, Sasha Stefanovich, Ryan Cline) who turned out to be solid for us. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

My guess is we’ll take one more guard, a forward (hopefully Camden Heide), and then a PF (hopefully Jalen Washington).

Going to probably take 5 in that class and Paintsr has taken plenty of guards that didn’t have high major offers (Chris Kramer, PJ Thompson, Sasha Stefanovich, Ryan Cline) who turned out to be solid for us. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Good point. If he really will grow that’ll be beneficial. Hard to make it at that size.

With how the portal is nowadays, I still don’t get why coaches of solid programs are taking guys like this instead of nice portal players, but Painter has had success with it like you said. We’ll see how this one works out.

Reactions: boiler1987
Good point. If he really will grow that’ll be beneficial. Hard to make it at that size.

With how the portal is nowadays, I still don’t get why coaches of solid programs are taking guys like this instead of nice portal players, but Painter has had success with it like you said. We’ll see how this one works out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ivey has a big year and leaves after next season. I could see Painter going in the portal to try to bring in someone to help take some of those minutes. We shall see.

Hail constantly chums the waters. The grind never stops. He’s a pro’s pro.

I know this is homeboard like, but it’s the off-season and things are slow so 🤷🏽‍♂️

here’s recent footage of our incoming player im
Most excited about: Frankie Collins. Kids quickness and athleticism are off the charts

Never go full homoboard. I’m not even sure I’d put this on the homoboard.

Touting a 3 star as a nice piece and part of a solid back court tandem going forward is Iowa type shit. Do better.
Boiler has been shit posting for sometime now. He is no different than the UK guys who think they're winning the title every year. No boiler I'm not saying you're saying your gonna win the title every year but you continue to make homeboard posts on the national board.

Boiler has been shit posting for sometime now. He is no different than the UK guys who think they're winning the title every year. No boiler I'm not saying you're saying your gonna win the title every year but you continue to make homeboard posts on the national board.

Trying to get the IU/Purdue 3-point argument started early.

Mom is 5’10, dad is 6’3. Why would a ceiling of Hulls be a bad thing? I think Smith can be a better defender than Hulls was.

Why are you comparing Waddell to Hunter/Ivey? He’s going to probably play the 3 (maybe some 4) for us.
So he probably got his Mom’s height since he’s 5’10” as a 17 year old.

If he were to become Hulls, that wouldn’t be a bad thing, but not many players reach their ceilings. As others have pointed out, I would rather use a high risk scholarship like that on a transfer than a 4 or 5 year player with a relatively low ceiling.

As for the Hunter/Ivey comparison, my point was that you are losing 3 guards next year in Sasha, Hunter, and Ivey (allegedly). You are replacing those 3 guards with Loyer, Smith, and Waddell. Zero chance Waddell plays the 4. Not only is he undersized, but you also have Kaufman, Furst, and Gillis. You claim to be getting Washington as well.

If Iowa had signed Smith and Waddell, you would be making fun of them with the rest of us. Loyer is solid.

So he probably got his Mom’s height since he’s 5’10” as a 17 year old.

If he were to become Hulls, that wouldn’t be a bad thing, but not many players reach their ceilings. As others have pointed out, I would rather use a high risk scholarship like that on a transfer than a 4 or 5 year player with a relatively low ceiling.

As for the Hunter/Ivey comparison, my point was that you are losing 3 guards next year in Sasha, Hunter, and Ivey (allegedly). You are replacing those 3 guards with Loyer, Smith, and Waddell. Zero chance Waddell plays the 4. Not only is he undersized, but you also have Kaufman, Furst, and Gillis. You claim to be getting Washington as well.

If Iowa had signed Smith and Waddell, you would be making fun of them with the rest of us. Loyer is solid.

Having a mom that’s 5’10 and a dad over 6’0 I won’t be surprised at all if he keeps growing. 5’10 is tall for a woman.

I don’t think it’s that high risk when Smith and Waddell are your 12th and 13th scholarships. Give them a few years to develop until you can count on them as upperclassmen.
Waddell probably will play the 3 primarily IMO but in certain lineups down the road I could see him maybe play some small-ball 4.

Big question will be do we get 3 years out of Ivey. Not a certainty he goes after next year but I think he’ll have a good chance to play himself into a first round pick tbh. Because you’re right that if we trade off Ivey/Sasha/Hunter for Loyer/Smith/Waddell, we’re obviously net negative there and the big reason is Ivey. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we add another guard for that class though.

Iowa doesn’t have the overall roster talent Purdue has so it’s not apples to apples.

Having a mom that’s 5’10 and a dad over 6’0 I won’t be surprised at all if he keeps growing. 5’10 is tall for a woman.

I don’t think it’s that high risk when Smith and Waddell are your 12th and 13th scholarships. Give them a few years to develop until you can count on them as upperclassmen.
Waddell probably will play the 3 primarily IMO but in certain lineups down the road I could see him maybe play some small-ball 4.

Big question will be do we get 3 years out of Ivey. Not a certainty he goes after next year but I think he’ll have a good chance to play himself into a first round pick tbh. Because you’re right that if we trade off Ivey/Sasha/Hunter for Loyer/Smith/Waddell, we’re obviously net negative there and the big reason is Ivey. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we add another guard for that class though.

Iowa doesn’t have the overall roster talent Purdue has so it’s not apples to apples.
Iowa has a bunch of ymca level guys. I’d hope you have more talent than them.

• Haha
Reactions: boiler1987
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT