ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you joking? 3 unranked players, a borderline top 150 3*, and a borderline top 100 player is an A+? Yikes.
Lol at using rankings right now. Rivals has Prince Aligbe over Tre Holloman in their updated rankings. Literally no one else would rank them that way. Wait until Bossi updates the 247 rankings. He already said Pharrel Payne is likely a 4 star along with Dunn, who is one of the biggest risers this summer. Jayden Pierre is #149 on 247 and Bossi had this to say about him not too long ago.

"If Pierre wanted to build up his name, he did just that. From a rankings perspective, he's been hanging around on the edge of 247Sports top 150 for the class of 2022 and after the summer that he just put together he should be busting his way into the next rankings update. He's speedy, he's got length, he navigates the pick and roll well and he's a fierce competitor on both ends of the floor."

Carrington is going to be a borderline top 150 in the new rankings as well according to Bossi. Ola-Joseph will probably be somewhere in the 150-200 range. He led D1 Minnesota in scoring this summer over two 4-star guys (Cam Heide and Eli King) so if he is our worst recruit rankings wise, I'll take it.

Lol at using rankings right now. Rivals has Prince Aligbe over Tre Holloman in their updated rankings. Literally no one else would rank them that way. Wait until Bossi updates the 247 rankings. He already said Pharrel Payne is likely a 4 star along with Dunn, who is one of the biggest risers this summer. Jayden Pierre is #149 on 247 and Bossi had this to say about him not too long ago.

"If Pierre wanted to build up his name, he did just that. From a rankings perspective, he's been hanging around on the edge of 247Sports top 150 for the class of 2022 and after the summer that he just put together he should be busting his way into the next rankings update. He's speedy, he's got length, he navigates the pick and roll well and he's a fierce competitor on both ends of the floor."

Carrington is going to be a borderline top 150 in the new rankings as well according to Bossi. Ola-Joseph will probably be somewhere in the 150-200 range. He led D1 Minnesota in scoring this summer over two 4-star guys (Cam Heide and Eli King) so if he is our worst recruit rankings wise, I'll take it.
Lol this is a Gil-esque post. Rivals and ESPN have already updated their rankings. No Minnesota commit or recruit in the top 100 on ESPN. No Minnesota commit in the Rival’s top 150, and the only recruit is Dunn who is in the 120s. That’s garbage.

^ No homerism here, folks.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Typical hailtoyourvictor. Actively the undisputed heavyweight of homerism on this board. If you look up Homer in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Homer Simpson. If you look closely, Homer Simpson is holding up a picture of hailtoyourvictor.

Michigan has finished higher than I projected them 4 straight seasons. Minnesota consistently sucks more than you think they will. I should probably be more of a homer.

Lol this is a Gil-esque post. Rivals and ESPN have already updated their rankings. No Minnesota commit or recruit in the top 100 on ESPN. No Minnesota commit in the Rival’s top 150, and the only recruit is Dunn who is in the 120s. That’s garbage.
ESPN has been garbage for awhile now. Rivals is headed that way since Bossi left. For basketball, Bossi is by far the best talent evaluator of anyone from the 3 rankings sites.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
^ No homerism here, folks.
Lol, I am using facts. Bossi wrote an article about Ben Johnson's recruiting after Payne committed, and said Payne is going to get strong consideration for 4-star status. Also said Carrington is close to the top 150 when he updates his rankings. Im not just making shit up.

Lol, I am using facts. Bossi wrote an article about Ben Johnson's recruiting after Payne committed, and said Payne is going to get strong consideration for 4-star status. Also said Carrington is close to the top 150 when he updates his rankings. Im not just making shit up.

Ok Gillisota

I really do believe with the weird COVID year and most of the best analysts having left for better jobs in the last 5 or so years, the rankings are about as garbage as they have ever been.

Reactions: RutgHoops
ESPN has been garbage for awhile now. Rivals is headed that way since Bossi left. For basketball, Bossi is by far the best talent evaluator of anyone from the 3 rankings sites.
Let’s say Bossi moves 3 of those players to borderline top 100 players like you say he is going to AND you manage to actually land the two you are recruiting. You think that’s an A+ class? That’s a well below average Big Ten class.

My guess is you don’t get Dunn and neither Pierre or the other guy (don’t even care to look up his name) actually become 4 stars in 247.

Looking at how Michigan has finished lately, it's actually pretty crazy how conservative I've been on my preseason predictions. I don't think I've ever put them in my preseason top 10 and they finished the past three seasons 7th, 6th, 16th, and 3rd.

I am the world's shittiest homer.

Looking at how Michigan has finished lately, it's actually pretty crazy how conservative I've been on my preseason predictions. I don't think I've ever put them in my preseason top 10 and they finished the past three seasons 7th, 6th, 16th, and 3rd.

I am the world's shittiest homer.
Does ESPN still do that luck factor?

I really do believe with the weird COVID year and most of the best analysts having left for better jobs in the last 5 or so years, the rankings are about as garbage as they have ever been.

Agreed. Offers are the barometer for ranking kids right now. College staffs have been the only ones really able to see these '22 kids play. The more/better offers a kid has, the more I like him*.

*32 Offers

Let’s say Bossi moves 3 of those players to borderline top 100 players like you say he is going to AND you manage to actually land the two you are recruiting. You think that’s an A+ class? That’s a well below average Big Ten class.

My guess is you don’t get Dunn and neither Pierre or the other guy (don’t even care to look up his name) actually become 4 stars in 247.
It's apparent you don't do any research, which makes you look pretty ignorant. Here, I'll do the research for you...

Bossi on Pharrell Payne:

"Yesterday, Johnson landed a commitment from big man Pharrel Payne and that one has gotten my attention. If it doesn't, it should have the attention of the Gopher nation because outside of Holloman he may be the best prospect the state has to offer in 2022 and hardly anybody knows about him. Heck, I didn't know about him until a few weeks ago when longtime colleague Ryan James of the Gopher Illustrated and PrepHoops brought him up to me. James knows Minnesota as well as anybody so when he suggests I check out a player, I do it.

In reviewing game film of Payne I see a guy with a lot of upside. He's got a great frame for a power forward, he's a bouncy athlete, he shows promise as a shooter, he can really run the floor and he's an excellent shot blocker. Due to some players reclassifying, we have actually moved Payne into our top 150 (at No. 150) to fill a newly opened spot. Now, we've not done a full update to the 2022 rankings yet so that's just a place holder for Payne at the moment. In my opinion, he's got a good chance to move up and I think we need to heavily consider him for a move to four-star status. The bottom line here, is Johnson and his staff identified a very talented, very local kid playing on a non shoe sponsored team and got him locked up as quickly as possible."

It's apparent you don't do any research, which makes you look pretty ignorant. Here, I'll do the research for you...

Bossi on Pharrell Payne:

"Yesterday, Johnson landed a commitment from big man Pharrel Payne and that one has gotten my attention. If it doesn't, it should have the attention of the Gopher nation because outside of Holloman he may be the best prospect the state has to offer in 2022 and hardly anybody knows about him. Heck, I didn't know about him until a few weeks ago when longtime colleague Ryan James of the Gopher Illustrated and PrepHoops brought him up to me. James knows Minnesota as well as anybody so when he suggests I check out a player, I do it.

In reviewing game film of Payne I see a guy with a lot of upside. He's got a great frame for a power forward, he's a bouncy athlete, he shows promise as a shooter, he can really run the floor and he's an excellent shot blocker. Due to some players reclassifying, we have actually moved Payne into our top 150 (at No. 150) to fill a newly opened spot. Now, we've not done a full update to the 2022 rankings yet so that's just a place holder for Payne at the moment. In my opinion, he's got a good chance to move up and I think we need to heavily consider him for a move to four-star status. The bottom line here, is Johnson and his staff identified a very talented, very local kid playing on a non shoe sponsored team and got him locked up as quickly as possible."
Why would I research some scrub going to an irrelevant team in the Big Ten? Let’s say he moves up to 115 and is a 4*. You still think an A+ class is 3 POTENTIAL borderline top 100 players and a couple other scrubs? That’s laughable.

Why would I research some scrub going to an irrelevant team in the Big Ten? Let’s say he moves up to 115 and is a 4*. You still think an A+ class is 3 POTENTIAL borderline top 100 players and a couple other scrubs? That’s laughable.
You obviously cared enough to reply to my original post. You're calling players scrubs yet, admit you didn't do any research on the players. That's the definition of ignorance my friend. Kaleb Banks must be a scrub too, since he is "only" ranked #118 on 247, right? No, I wouldn't call him a scrub, since I don't have alot of information on him. Seen a couple videos and he looks like a pretty good player.

The A+ ranking is based on the totality of the circumstances that Ben Johnson had going against him when he took the job. He had to replace almost an entire basketball team, save Isaiah Ihnen and Eric Curry. That takes time in itself. Then he had to sell recruits on his vision without being a HC in the past. So yeah, in that context, if he gets 3 or 4 top 150 recruits, in his first class, yes it would be an A+.

You obviously cared enough to reply to my original post. You're calling players scrubs yet, admit you didn't do any research on the players. That's the definition of ignorance my friend. Kaleb Banks must be a scrub too, since he is "only" ranked #118 on 247, right? No, I wouldn't call him a scrub, since I don't have alot of information on him. Seen a couple videos and he looks like a pretty good player.

The A+ ranking is based on the totality of the circumstances that Ben Johnson had going against him when he took the job. He had to replace almost an entire basketball team, save Isaiah Ihnen and Eric Curry. That takes time in itself. Then he had to sell recruits on his vision without being a HC in the past. So yeah, in that context, if he gets 3 or 4 top 150 recruits, in his first class, yes it would be an A+.
I did research them enough to know what national recruiting analysts think of them. Two services have updated their rankings and no Minnesota commit appears in either. It remains to be seen whether or not Payne will actually make a jump in the 247 rankings or not.

Kaleb banks is a decent pickup, but in no way should he be a headliner of a class. He will end up being the 3rd highest ranked recruit in IU’s class which is also Mike Woodson’s first class. So our 3rd highest ranked player will be higher ranked than your best player, yet you think you have an A+ class.

Your coach had a complete rebuild, because he wasn’t able to sell the returning players, non committed 2021 recruits, or high quality transfers on his program. A couple borderline top 100 recruits will not turn around your program.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

Ben Johnson won’t have a top 5 recruiting class in his first class after just taking over as HC this spring?

What a failure on the recruiting trail. Lol

I did research them enough to know what national recruiting analysts think of them. Two services have updated their rankings and no Minnesota commit appears in either. It remains to be seen whether or not Payne will actually make a jump in the 247 rankings or not.

Kaleb banks is a decent pickup, but in no way should he be a headliner of a class. He will end up being the 3rd highest ranked recruit in IU’s class which is also Mike Woodson’s first class. So our 3rd highest ranked player will be higher ranked than your best player, yet you think you have an A+ class.

Your coach had a complete rebuild, because he wasn’t able to sell the returning players, non committed 2021 recruits, or high quality transfers on his program. A couple borderline top 100 recruits will not turn around your program.
Raphael Davis was a borderline Top 100 recruit who arguably turned Purdue’s program around - the 3 year captain and B1G DPOY is largely credited with changing the culture of the last place Boilermakers. Just saying shit happens and too many people get star struck.

Reactions: Deathclutch
Raphael Davis was a borderline Top 100 recruit who arguably turned Purdue’s program around - the 3 year captain and B1G DPOY is largely credited with changing the culture of the last place Boilermakers. Just saying shit happens and too many people get star struck.
The 2014 class turned Purdue around.

Ben Johnson won’t have a top 5 recruiting class in his first class after just taking over as HC this spring?

What a failure on the recruiting trail. Lol
No one said that makes him a failure. Only an elite coach would have a top 5 class in their first true recruiting class 😉.

There’s certainly something in between calling it an A+ class and calling it a failure.
Considering it’s Minnesota, who doesn’t really get big time recruits nationally, their only real miss would be Tre Holloman.

And considering who they lost them to and how long he was coach for it beforehand, it wasn’t realistic to get him.

At minimum it’s an A- for their staff given the circumstances.

Considering it’s Minnesota, who doesn’t really get big time recruits nationally, their only real miss would be Tre Holloman.

And considering who they lost them to and how long he was coach for it beforehand, it wasn’t realistic to get him.

At minimum it’s an A- for their staff given the circumstances.

Lol

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT