ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Purdue has players that will improve too. We return an All-American and will add one of the best grad transfer forwards available along with at least one more grad transfer guard. Maryland or IU won’t be head & shoulders above Purdue next year. Those 3 teams will be pretty even.

Confirmed?

and will past judgement on the second bold after seeing your grad transfer not play for a 7-20 Ivy League school.

Reactions: SNU0821 and Da_Bull
Confirmed?

and will past judgement on the second bold after seeing your grad transfer not play for a 7-20 Ivy League school.
Not confirmed but I highly doubt he leaves for the NBA. & why waste a year playing for a god awful school when you have the option to graduate in 3 years and have two years of eligibility at a high major school? Seems like a smart move to me.

Reactions: KisteK
We are losing dead weight and getting a top 15 class. This is of course if Bruno comes back. If he doesnt I see an Iowa type season and Turge fired. Yea we lose JJ, but he was hurt the entire year so its not like we are losing more by him leaving.
I like your team with Bruno back. Purdue and Maryland I think will finish around the same spot in the league.

Not confirmed but I highly doubt he leaves for the NBA. & why waste a year playing for a god awful school when you have the option to graduate in 3 years and have two years of eligibility at a high major school? Seems like a smart move to me.

Never said a word about what he is doing is wrong. Its actually a very smart move. I am talking about judging how good he really is until we see him on a much better team against much better competition. He has some great stats for sure, but for two dreadful teams. Zeisloft was a great two year pick up for IU, but that wasn't anywhere near a guarantee at the time.

Reactions: SNU0821
& Maryland and IU weren't good last year and you return virtually the same players. I guess we can call it a wash.

Uh, I dont think so. No wash from this fan who has no dog in the fight. Maryland is clearly better than Purdue. Indiana is likely better as well.

I think a lot of other neutral folks dont consider it a wash either.

Never said a word about what he is doing is wrong. Its actually a very smart move. I am talking about judging how good he really is until we see him on a much better team against much better competition. He has some great stats for sure, but for two dreadful teams. Zeisloft was a great two year pick up for IU, but that wasn't anywhere near a guarantee at the time.
Can see him making an impact like Karem Kanter from Xavier. That's what I'm expecting. He's going to get the minutes. 10 & 5 type of guy. We'll see.

Uh, I dont think so. No wash from this fan who has no dog in the fight. Maryland is clearly better than Purdue. Indiana is likely better as well.

I think a lot of other neutral folks dont consider it a wash either.
Why is Maryland "clearly" better than Purdue? I don't think it's that clear. They won 19 games last year without Justin Jackson and now they're supposed to make a huge leap without him again this year? Sorry if I'm not convinced Melo Trimble-Lite & Huerter are world-beaters.

Add on to the fact that Painter is clearly a better coach than Turgeon. Not sure I'd be confident in Maryland this year.

Reactions: Mclovin-
Why is Maryland "clearly" better than Purdue? I don't think it's that clear. They won 19 games last year without Justin Jackson and now they're supposed to make a huge leap without him again this year? Sorry if I'm not convinced Melo Trimble-Lite & Huerter are world-beaters.

Add on to the fact that Painter is clearly a better coach than Turgeon. Not sure I'd be confident in Maryland this year.

Good points- but in my opinion not impressed by who Purdue brings back, except if C. Edwards returns.

Lot of “what-ifs” surrounding IU. I’ll hold judgment until their roster takes shape.
Maryland and IU don’t have nearly as many as Purdue. Edwards is all that’s proven to this point. Most teams will have guys improve. IU has more proven returning players who should improve. Maryland has more proven returning players that should improve. Purdue has unknown players outside of Edwards. IU got significantly better throughout the year as they learned what Archie’s system was. Don’t think we’re going to drop games to scrub teams like last year. Morgan should be 1st Team All B10.

Purdue loses more than any other B10 team. It’s not rocket science.

I like your team with Bruno back. Purdue and Maryland I think will finish around the same spot in the league.
What? You lose 4 of your 5 best players, and our recruiting class is nothing special. Maryland was young and not deep last year, and they bring in a very good recruiting class. I’m willing to make a bet Maryland will finish higher than Purdue next season. And (obviously) Indiana. I really don’t think Ourdue will be a top 4 Big Ten team next year.

I’d probably put MSU, UM, Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska and Wisconsin above them at this point

This reminds me a lot of last year regarding the posters telling purdue fans how bad we're going to be and which teams are supposedly better since we lost swanigan. This year it's the loss of our seniors which according to the same posters as last year weren't even that good. The leader of the crusade this year is the same as last year, snu. Who not only was dead wrong about that, he's typically wrong about everything in general. We'll definitely be worse next year. But at this point other then UM there is really no big ten team that stands above the rest. Not only that we have 4 players returning who saw significant playing time including one all american. We have another 5th year player and 2 more coming off redshirt. We have just landed one of the best transfers on the market who was previously commited to xavier. We are adding a few nice freshman pieces as well. Painter has proven to be a capable regular season coach. Its really not that outlandish to predict us as a tournament team next year.

How is Painter clearly better? Last I checked both have made it the sweet 16.

This reminds me a lot of last year regarding the posters telling purdue fans how bad we're going to be and which teams are supposedly better since we lost swanigan. the leader of the crusade this year is the same as last year, snu. Who not only was dead wrong about that, he's typically wrong about everything in general. We'll definitely be worse next year. But at this point other then UM there is really no big ten team that stands above the rest. Not only that we have 4 players returning who saw significant playing time including one all american. We have another 5th year player and 2 more coming off redshirt. We have just landed one of the best transfers on the market who was previously commited to xavier. We are adding a few nice freshman pieces as well. Painter has proven to be a capable regular season coach. Its really not that outlandish to predict us as a tournament team next year.

Purdue lost one player last year, they lost 4 this year. Its probably a bit much to predict them as a tournament team, maybe a bit much to write them competely in our out.

This reminds me a lot of last year regarding the posters telling purdue fans how bad we're going to be and which teams are supposedly better since we lost swanigan. This year it's the loss of our seniors which according to the same posters as last year weren't even that good. The leader of the crusade this year is the same as last year, snu. Who not only was dead wrong about that, he's typically wrong about everything in general. We'll definitely be worse next year. But at this point other then UM there is really no big ten team that stands above the rest. Not only that we have 4 players returning who saw significant playing time including one all american. We have another 5th year player and 2 more coming off redshirt. We have just landed one of the best transfers on the market who was previously commited to xavier. We are adding a few nice freshman pieces as well. Painter has proven to be a capable regular season coach. Its really not that outlandish to predict us as a tournament team next year.
Who was telling people Purdue was going to be bad? I dont recall anyone saying Purdue would be bad. I do Remember people saying Purdue wouldn’t win the B10. I do Remember people saying Purdue wouldn’t be as good as the year prior. I was right on about Purdue excluding how good they were offensively as a team and a couple players individually, offensively. I said Purdue would be top three and wouldn’t make any noise in the tourney. Does that sound wrong? Nah.......

As for the rest of your post about returning players and recruits.....LULZ. Edwards is basically all you have. Nobody else on Purdue would start for IU and I would guess Maryland, MSU, UM, etc.. You have a team of unproven role players and some freshman who aren’t likely to be significant contributors. Lulz. The delusions are strong with this one...

Who was telling people Purdue was going to be bad? I dont recall anyone saying Purdue would be bad. I do Remember people saying Purdue wouldn’t win the B10. I do Remember people saying Purdue wouldn’t be as good as the year prior. I was right on about Purdue excluding how good they were offensively as a team and a couple players individually, offensively. I said Purdue would be top three and wouldn’t make any noise in the tourney. Does that sound wrong? Nah.......

As for the rest of your post about returning players and recruits.....LULZ. Edwards is basically all you have. Nobody else on Purdue would start for IU and I would guess Maryland, MSU, UM, etc.. You have a team of unproven role players and some freshman who aren’t likely to be significant contributors. Lulz. The delusions are strong with this one...
Iu is trash. You couldn't even make the nit. haha. Not a single player i'd trade for on your roster. Your coach sucks too.

Iu is trash. You couldn't even make the nit. haha. Not a single player i'd trade for on your roster. Your coach sucks too.
How’s it feel to have Painter shit the bed again? What’s his record in the sweet sixteen? Last I checked Archie had made it further, with Dayton (lulz), than Painter has so far. Gotta hurt...

Reactions: Jaycg15 and MGC_07
What? Did you just not get bounced in the sweet 16 with arguably the best Purdue roster?
Our starting lineup was three 3 stars and two 4 stars. Oh sorry, without Haas, four 3 stars and one 4 star. That's a great coaching job.

Purdue fans should not be able to talk about IU. IU fans should not be able to talk about Purdue. It's clear that no one can remain objective. Follow these rules, and this thread will not be the complete shitshow it's slowly becoming.

Hey newer guy. Shut up. The offseason thread is always a shitshow. :)

The trolls troll but there are plenty of reasonable conversations between the two fan bases.

how teams do will depend on which player or players improve.
for Iowa its Garza from his All BT FR season as he did this
21.7 mpg 3rd in scoring 12.1 ppg, 2nd in rebounding 6.4 rpg, led the team in blocked shot's 32, his development is one I am going to watch.

Nunge 15.7 mpg 5th in scoring 5.7 ppg, 5th in total rebounds with 91, 2nd in blocks with 25 and 4th in steals with 21.

Bohannon finally will be should be 100% 31.8 MPG 2nd in scoring 13.5 ppg, led the team in assists 178. led the team in made 3's with 96 and % 43% 3rd in steals with 22,
the made 3's and assist totals as a FR and SO makes him the only player reguardless of class or position to record 170+ assists and 85+ made 3's in back to back seasons in the LAST 25 YEARS. how much better on offense can he get and how much he can improve on defense.

Moss went from scoring 6.5 ppg to 11.1 ppg shooting 41.2% from the field to 42%, 74.2% from the FTL to 87.9% from the FTL, 35.8% from 3 to 38.6%. improving his assists from 29 to 62, steal from 19 to 22.
this is another that needs watching to see how much he improves

these improving their defense will determine where Iowa finishes.
these will be the key additions
4* PG RSFR 6'5 Connor McCaffery who will be what Iowa was missing as far as a backup PG
4* SG FR 6'6 Wieskamp #42 by Rivals will be the 5th starter that the team was missing last fall.

this falls team can go 2 deep at every position so there should be no drop off in case of fouls or injuries.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Our starting lineup was three 3 stars and two 4 stars. Oh sorry, without Haas, four 3 stars and one 4 star. That's a great coaching job.

What? Who gives a fvck about their high school rating as seniors. Alright so Painter is slightly better than Turgeon, both have the about the same ceiling. Are you guys happy with that.

Reactions: Jaycg15
how teams do will depend on which player or players improve.
for Iowa its Garza from his All BT FR season as he did this
21.7 mpg 3rd in scoring 12.1 ppg, 2nd in rebounding 6.4 rpg, led the team in blocked shot's 32, his development is one I am going to watch.

Nunge 15.7 mpg 5th in scoring 5.7 ppg, 5th in total rebounds with 91, 2nd in blocks with 25 and 4th in steals with 21.

Bohannon finally will be should be 100% 31.8 MPG 2nd in scoring 13.5 ppg, led the team in assists 178. led the team in made 3's with 96 and % 43% 3rd in steals with 22,
the made 3's and assist totals as a FR and SO makes him the only player reguardless of class or position to record 170+ assists and 85+ made 3's in back to back seasons in the LAST 25 YEARS. how much better on offense can he get and how much he can improve on defense.

Moss went from scoring 6.5 ppg to 11.1 ppg shooting 41.2% from the field to 42%, 74.2% from the FTL to 87.9% from the FTL, 35.8% from 3 to 38.6%. improving his assists from 29 to 62, steal from 19 to 22.
this is another that needs watching to see how much he improves

these improving their defense will determine where Iowa finishes.
these will be the key additions
4* PG RSFR 6'5 Connor McCaffery who will be what Iowa was missing as far as a backup PG
4* SG FR 6'6 Wieskamp #42 by Rivals will be the 5th starter that the team was missing last fall.

this falls team can go 2 deep at every position so there should be no drop off in case of fouls or injuries.
So, after predicting a 4th or 5th Iowa team, and then being 12th in the league, where is your unrealistic expectation this year?

Reactions: Jaycg15
So, after predicting a 4th or 5th Iowa team, and then being 12th in the league, where is your unrealistic expectation this year?
unrealistic would be predicting winning the BT. realistic would be 5th, they return their top 9 scorers their top 5 in every statistical category off a team that avg'd 80 ppg, this season they will have that SR leader they didn't have last year, Baer the BT 6th MOY as a RSSO will go back to being the teams 5th man, he is a very good 6th man but is not a starter.

adding Wieskamp will give Iowa that solid 5th starter that was missing. plus it means that 7' Nunge will no longer have to play or start at the 3.

Connor will be the backup to Bohannon and will allow Bohannon to slide down to the 2 to utilize his 3 point shooting.

this means that 6'7 Dailey can play just the 2 or 3 instead of playing the PG position which he had not done in his life. he can also concentrate on playing defense by using his length and quickness to advantage. he can be like Marble in his ability to handle the ball when bringing it up the court.

unrealistic would be predicting winning the BT. realistic would be 5th, they return their top 9 scorers their top 5 in every statistical category off a team that avg'd 80 ppg, this season they will have that SR leader they didn't have last year, Baer the BT 6th MOY as a RSSO will go back to being the teams 5th man, he is a very good 6th man but is not a starter.

adding Wieskamp will give Iowa that solid 5th starter that was missing. plus it means that 7' Nunge will no longer have to play or start at the 3.

Connor will be the backup to Bohannon and will allow Bohannon to slide down to the 2 to utilize his 3 point shooting.

this means that 6'7 Dailey can play just the 2 or 3 instead of playing the PG position which he had not done in his life. he can also concentrate on playing defense by using his length and quickness to advantage. he can be like Marble in his ability to handle the ball when bringing it up the court.
Sorry I don’t care that much, so what your saying is 5th. I’ll take that bet any day of the week and twice on sunday’s

What? Who gives a fvck about their high school rating as seniors. Alright so Painter is slightly better than Turgeon, both have the about the same ceiling. Are you guys happy with that.
I don't know what Painter's ceiling is because his best teams have gotten derailed by injuries. Have no clue about Turgeon because I haven't followed him that closely.

ADVERTISEMENT