ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

OK just thinking that guys will improve this off-season and other players will be able to step in and have an opportunity to prove themselves. I think we're a solid tourney team with this roster and especially when/if we add another grad-transfer guard.
Yeah I don't think we're too far apart on this. I am guessing more growing pains early with the starters and that will lead to a bubble type team. My guess is you think they'll be alright to start the season or something like that. We're not too off on our projections, I think.

Yeah I don't think we're too far apart on this. I am guessing more growing pains early with the starters and that will lead to a bubble type team. My guess is you think they'll be alright to start the season or something like that. We're not too off on our projections, I think.
Yeah I agree.

Reactions: SNU0821
Why in the world would IU be ranked, haha wut
Don't think we should be until we prove we belong in the top 25. I would assume some will call for it if we get Langford. Top five recruit added in with Morgan who has a real good chance at 1st Team All B10, return a lot, got better through the season, not too crazy. I personally wouldn't rank them until I see them beat some good teams. Think Archie needs to prove it, first.

Don't see Maryland being as questionable as Purdue. Their starting 5 will be very good and talented.
Who is their starting 5? If they couldn’t make the tournament without Jackson this year, what makes you think they make it next year?

BSPN posting another garbage list

MSU 11
UM 12
Purdue 24

Indiana and Maryland not ranked, but Purdue is? That’s questionable. MSU above Michigan? This is assuming Wagner leaves and Ward comes back, but like, still.

Yeah, the Purdue love doesn't seem fitting. This isn't some top 10 team that loses a lot and has several top 100 kids sitting the bench waiting to play. This is a top 10 team losing a lot and lacking the players to fill holes. I like the kid from Dartmouth, but they need another piece of his caliber to be top 25. For now they feel like first four out material.

Reactions: MGC_07 and SNU0821
Yeah, the Purdue love doesn't seem fitting. This isn't some top 10 team that loses a lot and has several top 100 kids sitting the bench waiting to play. This is a top 10 team losing a lot and lacking the players to fill holes. I like the kid from Dartmouth, but they need another piece of his caliber to be top 25. For now they feel like first four out material.
Eh, Hunter, Williams are top 150, and Wheeler (redshirt) and Dowuona were top 150 guys at certain points in high school. Purdue recruits are generally underrated. But, yes, agree that Purdue should not be ranked. Disagree with first 4 out. Thinking about it now, I think they are tourney team. 8-9 seed.

Illinois picks up a commit from Top 100 SF Tevian Jones from California.

Illinois' 2018 class thus far:
5* Ayo Dosunmu
3* Alan Griffin
4* Tevian Jones
3* Samba Kane
3* Giorgi Bezhanishvili

Still After:
4* Courtney Ramey
4* Blake Hinson
Handful of JUCOs and 5th years

Suspensions? Don't understand that one at all. Not sure where you're going with that. With Langford, I don't think it's even a question we'll make the tourney. Without Langford, I would agree with the greater than 50% and not sure on how much greater until we see final rosters and schedules.
I would use that term for any team...not just IU. Things happen. Kids don't make the grades. Some get in trouble with the law. Some don't mesh well with their teammates/coaches and become cancers.

Eh, Hunter, Williams are top 150, and Wheeler (redshirt) and Dowuona were top 150 guys at certain points in high school. Purdue recruits are generally underrated. But, yes, agree that Purdue should not be ranked. Disagree with first 4 out. Thinking about it now, I think they are tourney team. 8-9 seed.
I think his point was no immediate impact type recruits. Some of those guys will probably contribute, but it’s more likely none of them are significant contributors/high impact guys. So in the 8-9 range, what are you thinking, like 5th, 6th in the B10?

Here is Sam Vecenie's reasoning for putting Purdue at 24 on The Athletic:

Count this simply as faith in a good coach and an elite player. Matt Painter is at the stage of his career in which he's proven himself as a terrific coach who gets a lot out of his players. And with him, Edwards should be one of the 10 best players in college basketball next season following an absolute breakout sophomore season. It gets dicier after that. Haarms will have to grow up quickly, but he's older than most players in his class. Getting Eastern to share more of the point guard duties will be nice as a way to move Edwards off ball. Boudreaux is a good get out of Dartmouth as a 6-7 forward who averaged more than 17 points and nine rebounds as a stretch-4 in his two years there. Williams is also an interesting fit in Painter's post-heavy scheme as a big-bodied pure post. The Boilermakers should take a step back, but it won't be a disastrous one.

I would use that term for any team...not just IU. Things happen. Kids don't make the grades. Some get in trouble with the law. Some don't mesh well with their teammates/coaches and become cancers.
I think what we’re doing here is putting out projections assuming there aren’t injuries or suspensions.

Here is Sam Vecenie's reasoning for putting Purdue at 24 on The Athletic:

Count this simply as faith in a good coach and an elite player. Matt Painter is at the stage of his career in which he's proven himself as a terrific coach who gets a lot out of his players. And with him, Edwards should be one of the 10 best players in college basketball next season following an absolute breakout sophomore season. It gets dicier after that. Haarms will have to grow up quickly, but he's older than most players in his class. Getting Eastern to share more of the point guard duties will be nice as a way to move Edwards off ball. Boudreaux is a good get out of Dartmouth as a 6-7 forward who averaged more than 17 points and nine rebounds as a stretch-4 in his two years there. Williams is also an interesting fit in Painter's post-heavy scheme as a big-bodied pure post. The Boilermakers should take a step back, but it won't be a disastrous one.

So he's betting on Matt Painter? I think they're a year away from top 25 if Edwards hangs around that long. Gonna have some growing pains.

Here are The Athletic's top 25 B1G teams:

Michigan State - 11
Maryland - 17
Michigan - 22
Purdue - 24
Others receiving consideration - Penn State and Nebraska,

So he's betting on Matt Painter? I think they're a year away from top 25 if Edwards hangs around that long. Gonna have some growing pains.
Yup. They just lose so much. Yes, Edwards is a good player, but who else is going to step up and produce? Total question marks.

Here are The Athletic's top 25 B1G teams:

Michigan State - 11
Maryland - 17
Michigan - 22
Purdue - 24
Others receiving consideration - Penn State and Nebraska,

They must think the trio of Winston, Langford, and McQuaid are better than what they actually are.

Reactions: MGC_07
They must think the trio of Winston, Langford, and McQuaid are better than what they actually are.
No mention of McQuaid but he did say this:

The Spartans still return a potential Big Ten Player of the Year candidate in Winston, a terrific wing in Langford and a productive big man in Ward to mix with some depth beneath them. Their recruiting class is also a solid — if unspectacular — mix of likely three- and four year players led by Bingham, a shot-blocking center at 6-9. Loyer is a smallish guard with a ton of feel for the game, and Brown is a big-time lefty shooter with size at 6-8.

The Spartans still return a potential Big Ten Player of the Year candidate in Winston, a terrific wing in Langford and a productive big man in Ward to mix with some depth beneath them. Their recruiting class is also a solid — if unspectacular — mix of likely three- and four year players led by Bingham, a shot-blocking center at 6-9. Loyer is a smallish guard with a ton of feel for the game, and Brown is a big-time lefty shooter with size at 6-8.
giphy.gif

Reactions: MGC_07 and B-Westy

Hopefully Winston can figure out what the hell went wrong with his shooting to end the season.

BTT and NCAAT - he shot 5 of 27, good for 18.5%. After ending as one of the best 3pt shooters overall in the country for the season, at 49.7%.

Also need Langford and McQuaid to work on their driving to the hoop skills. That was a notable issue with this year's team.

Next year, early speculation based on some known decisions and projections....

Top 11-20 - in no particular order

Michigan - no Mo, Matthews stays
Michigan State - Nick Ward comes back
Maryland - Jackson out, Bruno stays

NCAA 9-11 seeds

Nebraska - kids return from testing waters
Indiana - for now, cusp top 25 with Langford
Wisconsin - if Happ stays

NIT

Purdue - need another transfer for NCAA
Penn State - wish Carr was staying
Ohio State - need grad transfers
Minnesota - should rebound a little bit

No postseason

Rutgers
Illinois
Iowa
Northwestern
Can't argue too much about Minnesota's placement, but I would take the over myself. We'll probably finish somewhere around 1st place.

Reactions: KisteK

MSU fans have reasons to be optimistic next year...but a decent amount on that relies on a couple frosh being able to contribute and guys like Winston and Langford improving.

Calling Langford a terrific wing is a stretch.

I think I just witnessed the emptiest B1G outright championship in MSU followed by the emptiest title game run by UM.

Best absolutely no of consequence, set record for easiest draw, then just get absolutely run off the court in a pathetically boring game.

But MSU and UM both get to hang banners..yay

Maybe you can put an asterisk on the banners.

*Worst B1G in decades
*Easiest path ever

I mean if it makes you feel better.

Maybe you can put an asterisk on the banners.

*Worst B1G in decades
*Easiest path ever

I mean if it makes you feel better.

That poster is an idiot. He predicted Michigan would miss the NCAA Tournament. Now he looks stupid and has to make himself feel better by discrediting Michigan's accomplishment. Sociopath maybe?

Reactions: jwardelt
I think I just witnessed the emptiest B1G outright championship in MSU followed by the emptiest title game run by UM.

Best absolutely no of consequence, set record for easiest draw, then just get absolutely run off the court in a pathetically boring game.

But MSU and UM both get to hang banners..yay

Better put an asterisk next to MSU's 2001 Final Four banner then, too.

& Maryland and IU weren't good last year and you return virtually the same players. I guess we can call it a wash.

Heuter & Cowans are top big ten players next season- Bruno is a lottery pick most likely if he returns - and there is something called improvement...

& Maryland and IU weren't good last year and you return virtually the same players. I guess we can call it a wash.

So you call losing 5 players to graduation and bringing in 6 (including a returning De'ron Davis and redshirt Race Thompson) 7 (if you add Romeo/Grad Transfer) 8 (if you add Romeo and a Grad transfer) as returning the same players?

With that said IU hasn't had their end of season meeting yet, so plenty of time for some others to depart, but yeah same team is returning.

Heuter & Cowans are top big ten players next season- Bruno is a lottery pick most likely if he returns - and there is something called improvement...
Purdue has players that will improve too. We return an All-American and will add one of the best grad transfer forwards available along with at least one more grad transfer guard. Maryland or IU won’t be head & shoulders above Purdue next year. Those 3 teams will be pretty even.

So you call losing 5 players to graduation and bringing in 6 (including a returning De'ron Davis and redshirt Race Thompson) 7 (if you add Romeo/Grad Transfer) 8 (if you add Romeo and a Grad transfer) as returning the same players?

With that said IU hasn't had their end of season meeting yet, so plenty of time for some others to depart, but yeah same team is returning.
Lot of “what-ifs” surrounding IU. I’ll hold judgment until their roster takes shape.

Purdue has players that will improve too. We return an All-American and will add one of the best grad transfer forwards available along with at least one more grad transfer guard. Maryland or IU won’t be head & shoulders above Purdue next year. Those 3 teams will be pretty even.

Maryland might also add a great grad transfer in Owens, which equals out yours

Lot of “what-ifs” surrounding IU. I’ll hold judgment until their roster takes shape.

Losing 5 and adding 6 isn't a what if though. Next year's team isn't going to be anything like this year's team. Not sure if that is good or bad, but I am leaning towards it being good.

Explain what jumps your team makes to win more than 19 games next year.

We are losing dead weight and getting a top 15 class. This is of course if Bruno comes back. If he doesnt I see an Iowa type season and Turge fired. Yea we lose JJ, but he was hurt the entire year so its not like we are losing more by him leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT