ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Can't win a sweet 16 game in 13 years is a low ceiling. It's a good thing you're happy with regular season accomplishments. That's all you'll ever get as the baby sister program.

Again, how an Illinois basketball fan can talk smack to a Purdue fan considering our respective histories over the last decade is laughable. You guys have been a laughingstock.

Brohm won 7 games last year with a severely flawed roster and coming off the worst 4-year stretch in Purdue history. Did he have his recruits in place in year 1?
He's going to win far less than that this season. Lovie had less talent, less experience, and more injuries than that roster. Apples to oranges.

He's going to win far less than that this season. Lovie had less talent, less experience, and more injuries than that roster. Apples to oranges.
You know it's bad for Illinois when Purdue is still beating you during the worst 4-year stretch in the school's football history. Yikes. Illinois is a free W every time you step on the court/field.

Joey Brackets' way too early (and always wrong) 2019 Bracket has the following B1G teams:

• Michigan State - 2 seed
  • Michigan - 3 seed
  • Ohio State - 6 seed
  • Purdue - 7 seed
  • Nebraska - 9 seed
  • Maryland - 10 seed
  • Penn State - 11 seed
  • Indiana - next four out (after first four out)
  • Wisconsin - next four out (after first four out)
Lunardi must be expecting a bounceback season from the conference of runner-ups.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
You know it's bad for Illinois when Purdue is still beating you during the worst 4-year stretch in the school's football history. Yikes. Illinois is a free W every time you step on the court/field.

Didn’t Hazell beat Illinois twice? 2 of his 3 conference wins I believe. Haha

You're dumping water in a puddle. You think I don't know Illinois has been bad?

I'm ok with it. I know Illinois can only go up. It's like the opposite of Purdue. Painter has peaked.

I'm ok with it. I know Illinois can only go up. It's like the opposite of Purdue. Painter has peaked.

Has he? We’ll never really know since his best teams have sustained serious injuries. Hey maybe Illinois will get better but how long will it take and how many coaches will it take?

You’re ok with Illinois with being bad and I’m OK with Purdue winning 30 games a year & winning bowl games. Deal?

You’re ok with Illinois with being bad and I’m OK with Purdue winning 30 games a year & winning bowl games. Deal?
I'm ok with Illinois not settling for guys like Painter. If you can't win it all, next.

Turg made it to the Sweet 16 with a roster more talented than any roster Painter has ever constructed. How that team didn't win the conference or make it past the S16 is a crime.

Didn’t read past this. Holy fvck, you are ******ed. You honestly think the 2016 Maryland team was better than this Purdue team, that had 4 seniors.

Reactions: SNU0821
I'm ok with Illinois not settling for guys like Painter. If you can't win it all, next.

Yeah because Groce and Underwood are awesome. Hey maybe you’ll luck into a Bill Self again but doubtful.

Didn’t read past this. Holy fvck, you are ******ed. You honestly think the 2016 Maryland team was better than this Purdue team, that had 4 seniors.
Talent-wise absolutely. And thanks for making my point for me. The fact that Turg couldn't get more out of that group than Painter did with this years team is mind-boggling.

Agree to disagree. Painter is only 47 years old. People were saying the same thing about Jay Wright when he was 47 and he elevated his status. You can say the same for several others. That doesn't mean Painter will but it's premature (and wishful thinking IMO) to suggest he has peaked.

Reactions: Mclovin-
Yeah because Groce and Underwood are awesome. Hey maybe you’ll luck into a Bill Self again but doubtful.
You don't know what Underwood is yet. He might be better than Painter, who won 9 games his first season.

Groce and Beckman are two terrible coaches that decimated our programs.

Reactions: KisteK
Talent-wise absolutely. And thanks for making my point for me. The fact that Turg couldn't get more out of that group than Painter did with this years team is mind-boggling.

They both made it to sweet 16? Neither won the conference or the tournament. You are fvcking dumb.

You don't know what Underwood is yet. He might be better than Painter, who won 9 games his first season.

Groce and Beckman are two terrible coaches that decimated our programs.
My biggest concern about Underwood are his connections to Lamont Evans and the ongoing FBI investigation. If the people arrested start talking, they could bring down a lot of people. I'd be uneasy with that lingering if I were an Illini fan.

They both made it to sweet 16? Neither won the conference or the tournament. You are fvcking dumb.
Turg have a critical injury to one of his best players at a crucial time? No.

Layman, Carter, Sulaimon, Trimble, Stone. Yeah that team under achieved that year for sure. No one thought this years Purdue team would win as much as they did.

My biggest concern about Underwood are his connections to Lamont Evans and the ongoing FBI investigation. If the people arrested start talking, they could bring down a lot of people. I'd be uneasy with that lingering if I were an Illini fan.
Not really worried about that. The report said he was acting independently. If it happens, it happens.

Not really worried about that. The report said he was acting independently. If it happens, it happens.
I think all the reports have said that with each program but I have a hard time believing coaches weren't giving direction. I agree that there is no use really stressing about it as there is nothing you can do. But if it did happen, I think it would set Illinois back at least a couple more years.

Agree to disagree. Painter is only 47 years old. People were saying the same thing about Jay Wright when he was 47 and he elevated his status. You can say the same for several others. That doesn't mean Painter will but it's premature (and wishful thinking IMO) to suggest he has peaked.

Jay had also gone to an elite eight and final four before this run. He upped his recruiting as well, haven't seen that uptick with Painter.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I think all the reports have said that with each program but I have a hard time believing coaches weren't giving direction. I agree that there is no use really stressing about it as there is nothing you can do. But if it did happen, I think it would set Illinois back at least a couple more years.
The difference with Evans and a guy like Pitino is that he was directing guys to agents for cuts. There weren't reports of him leveraging guys to OK St.

Jay had also gone to an elite eight and final four before this run. He upped his recruiting as well, haven't seen that uptick with Painter.
He had one Elite Eight by the time he was Painter's age but not a Final Four.

One could argue they should have been. That Maryland team was preseason #3 according the the AP. This Purdue team reached that level but certainly weren't expected to (preseason #20).

Jesus. Forgot this was the time of year where Purdue fans claim their programs are the best ever and act like they've done something special lately. Hate this time of year.

What? This was the best Purdue team in the KenPom era.
YES. But they over-achieved in terms of pre-season projections. No one thought they would be this good.

That Maryland team was touted as one of the best in the country before the season and they ended with an OK 12-6 in-league record and a Sweet 16 loss. They underachieved with way more talent than this Purdue team. That's my point. Turg didn't get the most out of that team.

One could argue they should have been. That Maryland team was preseason #3 according the the AP. This Purdue team reached that level but certainly weren't expected to (preseason #20).
That's my whole point. I don't know why he doesn't get it.

YES. But they over-achieved in terms of pre-season projections. No one thought they would be this good.

That Maryland team was touted as one of the best in the country before the season and they ended with an OK 12-6 in-league record and a Sweet 16 loss. They underachieved with way more talent than this Purdue team. That's my point. Turg didn't get the most out of that team.

Jesus christ are you seriously arguing that because they didn’t match the preseason polls that they under/overachieved? Guess K sucks, how many times has he been preseason number 1 and failed to win it all? I’m done arguing, if you guys are happy with Painter than so be it.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Jesus christ are you seriously arguing that because they didn’t match the preseason polls that they under/overachieved? Guess K sucks, how many times has he been preseason number 1 and failed to win it all? I’m done arguing, if you guys are happy with Painter than so be it.
So your expectations for that team, as a fan, during the pre-season weren't sky high either? Got it. I'm sure the sweet 16 loss and 12-6 conference record felt "about right" at the end of the season. I'm sure you didn't think they under achieved at all.

So your expectations for that team, as a fan, during the pre-season weren't sky high either? Got it. I'm sure the sweet 16 loss and 12-6 conference record felt "about right" at the end of the season. I'm sure you didn't think they under achieved at all.

juantitle2.jpg

Purdue sucks

Reactions: klize17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT