ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

I don't know what Painter's ceiling is because his best teams have gotten derailed by injuries. Have no clue about Turgeon because I haven't followed him that closely.

giphy.gif

You disproved your argument by saying you don’t know that much about Turge.
I know he doesn't get always get the most out of a bunch of talent. But I haven't closely followed his coaching career. That doesn't mean the first point isn't true.

So you’re predicting 5th? That’s all I’m asking
yup its better than most are thinking or are predicting for their teams that return less and expecting all these incoming 4* player will suddenly make their teams elite.

even now Moss has submitted his paper work into the NBA Draft process. it is here that he will find out just what he needs to do to be considered to be drafted.

the last mock draft Cook was no where to be seen which does not come as a surprise to me. he needs to become more aggressive/assertive on rebounding and increasing his range.

Moss has the range but he needs to become more aggressive in attacking on the offensive end and improve his defense,

but it will be what he gets in the form of feedback from the NBA Evaluators that could/would make the biggest difference in both Cook's and Moss's play this fall.

yup its better than most are thinking or are predicting for their teams that return less and expecting all these incoming 4* player will suddenly make their teams elite.

even now Moss has submitted his paper work into the NBA Draft process. it is here that he will find out just what he needs to do to be considered to be drafted.

the last mock draft Cook was no where to be seen which does not come as a surprise to me. he needs to become more aggressive/assertive on rebounding and increasing his range.

Moss has the range but he needs to become more aggressive in attacking on the offensive end and improve his defense,

but it will be what he gets in the form of feedback from the NBA Evaluators that could/would make the biggest difference in both Cook's and Moss's play this fall.

Moss couldn’t even play in the D-league.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Moss couldn’t even play in the D-league.
everybody has to follow their dreams at least he consulted with Fran and his parents. you and I both know he is not ready for the pro's but he needs to hear from the experts that he is not good enough.

Marble was told he would never play in the NBA and yet by his SR year Fran developed him into a 1st Team All BT and a 2nd round NBA Pick who played 2 years before his career was ended by a eye injury that required surgery to repair,
White was told he wasn't good enough and yet Fran developed him into a 2nd round Draft pick and that team placed him over seas to work on his shooting range and now he is one of the Highest paid players in Europe.

both were unranked 3* players, now it gets interesting as he has 6 4* players to develop.
with 2 of them testing the NBA waters.

I know he doesn't get always get the most out of a bunch of talent. But I haven't closely followed his coaching career. That doesn't mean the first point isn't true.

Sometimes he doesn’t, that is true. It ill probably get him fired in the next couple of years and hopefully by then Travis Steele has learned how to coach so we can hire him. Its going to take a lot of money to pry his wife away from Xavier. But I would not mind seeing her at Xfinity for a couple of years.

To be clear, what teams do you think Iowa will be better then. It’s at least 2 of Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana, and Purdue.

Gil is writing novels and the Purdue fan infestation hasn't died off. This is not how I hoped this thread would go.

How is Painter clearly better? Last I checked both have made it the sweet 16.
Turg made it to the Sweet 16 with a roster more talented than any roster Painter has ever constructed. How that team didn't win the conference or make it past the S16 is a crime.

Turg does less with more than any coach I've seen since Tom Crean.

No conference championships, no conference championships. He's just an underachiever. How he can't win big with his recruiting classes and resources at Maryland is beyond me.

Painter has the better track record.

Also Painter is now 5-2 against Turg all time. One being in the tournament without one of his best players (Hummel).

Last edited:
Gil is writing novels and the Purdue fan infestation hasn't died off. This is not how I hoped this thread would go.
Nothing wrong with the discussions we're having. Isn't that what this thread is for? Sorry that for Illinois there's literally nothing to look forward to.

To be clear, what teams do you think Iowa will be better then. It’s at least 2 of Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana, and Purdue.
Wisconsin, Indiana and Maryland Iowa beat Wisconsin and Garza out played Happ, Maryland loses a lot as does Indiana. this is where Iowa who returns their top 9 and had a couple 4* players to the 4 that were already on the team in key positions that were missing last season
Backup PG Connor
SG/WG Wieskamp the 5 starter
as these were not that 5th starter
Baer
Wagner
7'0 Nunge at the SF position even though he did start there, as he is better at the 4 and 5.
either Moss or Wieskamp will start at the 2 with the other at the 3.
in Jok's SR year Moss started at the 3, this last season Moss started at the 2,

Nothing wrong with the discussions we're having. Isn't that what this thread is for? Sorry that for Illinois there's literally nothing to look forward to.
Nothing wrong with thinking the discussions going on aren't interesting. Gotta get your butthurt comment about Illinois in though.

What exactly is there to look forward to about Purdue losing in another S16 in three years?

Reactions: SNU0821
Wisconsin, Indiana and Maryland Iowa beat Wisconsin and Garza out played Happ, Maryland loses a lot as does Indiana. this is where Iowa who returns their top 9 and had a couple 4* players to the 4 that were already on the team in key positions that were missing last season
Backup PG Connor
Baer
Wagner
7'0 Nunge at the SF position even though he did start there, as he is better at the 4 and 5.
What's the starting lineup if Moss for some God forsaken reason decides to go pro AND Cook does the same? I would say:

Bohannon
Grad transfer
Wieskamp
Nunge or grad transfer
Garza

Backup PG Connor
Baer
Wagner
I don’t need a full blown explanation every time, just please tell me what 2 of those teams iowa will be better than. Clearly you think Wisconsin, and which other one.

Nothing wrong with thinking the discussions going on aren't interesting. Gotta get your butthurt comment about Illinois in though.

What exactly is there to look forward to about Purdue losing in another S16 in three years?
What's it like to make the NCAA tournament 3 times in 10 years? That's almost amazing to me with the way you talk about your program. If I didn't know any better, I could've swore you were a Duke fan.

Illinois fan base one of the most delusional in all of college sports.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
I don’t need a full blown explanation every time, just please tell me what 2 of those teams iowa will be better than. Clearly you think Wisconsin, and which other one.
I think he's saying Wisconsin, Maryland AND Indiana but I could be wrong

What's it like to make the NCAA tournament 3 times in 10 years? That's almost amazing to me with the way you talk about your program. If I didn't know any better, I could've swore you were a Duke fan.

It's a good thing we've missed them recently. It allowed you to finally make the tournament as many times as we have. I guess you'll have to wait until your next coach to have the chance to catch us in final 4s though.

It's hilarious you saying that after listening to the likes of you talk Purdue up this season. Now, you get to start over and hope that Painter ever amounts to anything more than just a guy who gets to the tournament. At least Illinois failures gives you the opportunity to deflect from another Painter bed shitting.

I said 3 try reading just the 1st line.

It's a good thing we've missed them recently. It allowed you to finally make the tournament as many times as we have. I guess you'll have to wait until your next coach to have the chance to catch us in final 4s though.

It's hilarious you saying that after listening to the likes of you talk Purdue up this season. Now, you get to start over and hope that Painter ever amounts to anything more than just a guy who gets to the tournament. At least Illinois failures gives you the opportunity to deflect from another Painter bed shitting.
Your Painter bait is sooooooooo weak.

Illinois entire athletic department is a complete dumpster fire. Mass exodus of transfers, washed up NFL football coach, stadium renovations halted. When is the last time being an Illini fan accounted for any happiness in your life? I'm seriously concerned for your mental well-being.

You should ask him what going to a title game is like.

Reactions: SNU0821 and Jaycg15
Your Painter bait is sooooooooo weak.

Illinois entire athletic department is a complete dumpster fire. Mass exodus of transfers, washed up NFL football coach, stadium renovations halted. When is the last time being an Illini fan accounted for any happiness in your life? I'm seriously concerned for your mental well-being.
Laughing

You're ignorant. We are in the middle of a $300 MM athletic facility renovation. We're about to open a football facility in 2019. The only transfer we weren't okay with was Mark Smith. Our NFL coach is in the middle of a pretty damn good recruiting class.

My mental well- being is fine. I'm concerned for your mental capacity.

Now, back to Painter. Low ceiling.

Not sure I'd trade a title game appearance for the next 10 years being absolute mediocre garbage.
You won't have to. You can continue to show up for the first weekend, and spend more time after S16 talking up Painter's next season.

Laughing

You're ignorant. We are in the middle of a $300 MM athletic facility renovation. We're about to open a football facility in 2019. The only transfer we weren't okay with was Mark Smith. Our NFL coach is in the middle of a pretty damn good recruiting class.

If winning 30 games is a low ceiling, then 3 transfers, no NCAA tournament in 5 years must be a 6 foot grave.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Laughing

It remains to be seen but so far, Lovie is on a Hazell-esque path when it comes to wins and losses. Sure he has a good class so far but when will that translate to wins on the field?

Again, can you really call it a bed shitting when he loses someone as impactful as Haas? That seems silly.

If winning 30 games is a low ceiling, then 3 transfers, no NCAA tournament in 5 years must be a 6 foot grave.
Can't win a sweet 16 game in 13 years is a low ceiling. It's a good thing you're happy with regular season accomplishments. That's all you'll ever get as the baby sister program.

It remains to be seen but so far, Lovie is on a Hazell-esque path when it comes to wins and losses. Sure he has a good class so far but when will that translate to wins on the field?
He may never win, but you can't win until you have recruits in place. Can't make a steak dinner if all that's in your cupboard is bologna.

He may never win, but you can't win until you have recruits in place. Can't make a steak dinner if all that's in your cupboard is bologna.

Brohm won 7 games last year with a severely flawed roster and coming off the worst 4-year stretch in Purdue history. Did he have his recruits in place in year 1?

ADVERTISEMENT