ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Not going to quibble with the rest, but the argument that Izzo was unable to make a unilateral decision to dismiss players who are caught up on sexual assault allegations because of some arbitrary team policy just isn't true. You can say that he decided to stick to the policy, but he's more than capable of deciding that even in the absence of a police report and filing of charges - which is fairly common in such cases - that those players should be removed from the program.

None of us know all the facts. But Izzo - or any other coach for that matter - isn't bound to program policy like a prosecutor is bound to the law. Especially considering he and/or MSU administrators came up with the policy in the first place.
Well, I mean, the question is how much did anybody really know at the time.

If there were no charges or anything brought against them, just this claim, why would he? If nothing is brought against them besides a claim that at the time nobody really knew nothing about, it doesn’t make sense.

Obviously, using hindsight he should have. But with the info that he and everyone else knew at the time, plus team policy, I agree with his decision.

If we are really gonna kick players off of the team because of a claim of sexual assault, what has the world come to.

I'd love to see a lost decade for MSU, but its ridiculous to crucify either of the coaches for any of this. I'd be willing to bet that over half of the major football and basketball programs have had similar incidents from players that got swept under the rug.

A year ago, it was just common practice to protect the players. So, crucifying someone for what was the accepted norm, is idiotic. It's great that we've finally started to punish players and coaches, but we cant go overboard. From what I've seen, I don't believe Izzo did anything wrong, and you can't expect him to not only be the judge and jury, but also the police and investigators.

Reactions: MGC_07
I don’t post on GBI. I read it, but don’t post on it.

Still probably shouldn’t criticize the MSU staff when your own didn’t do a damn thing, either.
What was "my own" staff at Purdue supposed to do with Haas when the lawsuit was filed in April? His eligibility had expired. Weird argument there.

Also, could I get an updated list of which topics various fanbases are allowed to discuss based upon whether or not their favorite school has had tangentially similar events take place? Thanks in advance.

What was "my own" staff at Purdue supposed to do with Haas when the lawsuit was filed in April? His eligibility had expired. Weird argument there.

Also, could I get an updated list of which topics various fanbases are allowed to discuss based upon whether or not their favorite school has had tangentially similar events take place? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure the staff didn’t have any clue prior to that lawsuit being filed. No clue at all.

I don’t post on GBI. I read it, but don’t post on it.

Still probably shouldn’t criticize the MSU staff when your own didn’t do a damn thing, either.

Its stupid to act like Purdue should be held accountable for any of this. This falls squarely on him and only himself!

Also, as a IU fan, I nominate us never being able to comment on any post that mentions a phone call.

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure the staff didn’t have any clue prior to that lawsuit being filed. No clue at all.
What he did - if he's guilty - wasn't a crime. It's morally repugnant and shameful and he may be liable in a civil court eventually. But even if Purdue coaches somehow knew about this prior to the season, what would be the grounds for a suspension or public discipline?

Really like the fact that Newman, Franklin, and Isaiah Thompson will all be visiting officially the same weekend and that it's starting with the night game against Northwestern.

I know Brian Snow has reported he's confident Franklin and Newman won't attend the same school, but the fact that they are visiting together can't be a bad thing - assuming Franklin doesn't commit to IU during (or immediately after) his official in Bloomington.

Reactions: KisteK

Rutgers is the team to beat for consensus top 100 4* Ismael Massoud.
Top 5 of RU, Harvard, Wake, Auburn, and GT

Really like the fact that Newman, Franklin, and Isaiah Thompson will all be visiting officially the same weekend and that it's starting with the night game against Northwestern.

I know Brian Snow has reported he's confident Franklin and Newman won't attend the same school, but the fact that they are visiting together can't be a bad thing - assuming Franklin doesn't commit to IU during (or immediately after) his official in Bloomington.

He’s still saying that but as always things can change. I just hope IU gets one of the two.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
Look, I completely agree and am 100% on board with everybody about the Nassar scandal. It was a tragedy and MSU majorly f*cked up.

It just irritates me when people make baseless claims just because they want our athletic department to go to hell. I have seen 0 evidence and 0 action taken and 0 claims by students or staff at MSU stating that either Tom Izzo or Mark Dantonio helped to cover up sexual assault. So no, I don’t believe they did. Please, if somebody can, prove me wrong. But up to this point, I have seen literally nothing leading me to believe that those 2 men helped in covering up sexual assault.

Payne and Appling. That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them. They could not be kicked off the team unless charges were filed, and they weren’t, so they remained on the team.

I don’t believe anything I said is blasphemous, it’s just commen sense. Again, if ANYBODY can prove me wrong about anything I said, be my guest and my view may change. But up to this point, I simply don’t get it.

Lol. Wtf are you talking about. Yes, that girl went to the campus police and they recommended charges brought. The prosecutor's office chose not to continue with charges.

IMO those two should have suffered some sort of punishment that would be noticeable to the outside whether it be a six game, half year or full year suspension. None of that happened because heaven forbid Tom Izzo have his plans interrupted in trying to win a second national title (they were a preseason top 5 squad that season).

Payne was rewarded three years later when the university pushed him to be some sort of national hero.

Meanwhile Appling learned his lesson as he later went to prison for other activities.

Btw when is Izzo going to set the record straight? He said this would happen after the season. The season ended on March 18. Here we are five months later and still haven't heard a word.

Snow is the one when he speaks, I can feel certain he’s not just blowing smoke. I think (Hope) it’ll be whoever commits first the other will go another way. Hoping we split the two. Don’t care who gets who. I thiNo both will be good four year guys.

How the hell is the coaching staff supposed to know who Haas sticks his dick in? Lmfao You’re a freak.

Look, I completely agree and am 100% on board with everybody about the Nassar scandal. It was a tragedy and MSU majorly f*cked up.

It just irritates me when people make baseless claims just because they want our athletic department to go to hell. I have seen 0 evidence and 0 action taken and 0 claims by students or staff at MSU stating that either Tom Izzo or Mark Dantonio helped to cover up sexual assault. So no, I don’t believe they did. Please, if somebody can, prove me wrong. But up to this point, I have seen literally nothing leading me to believe that those 2 men helped in covering up sexual assault.

Payne and Appling. That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them. They could not be kicked off the team unless charges were filed, and they weren’t, so they remained on the team.

I don’t believe anything I said is blasphemous, it’s just commen sense. Again, if ANYBODY can prove me wrong about anything I said, be my guest and my view may change. But up to this point, I simply don’t get it.

"Payne and Appling. That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them."

She never filed a police report?

I'd love to see a lost decade for MSU, but its ridiculous to crucify either of the coaches for any of this. I'd be willing to bet that over half of the major football and basketball programs have had similar incidents from players that got swept under the rug.

A year ago, it was just common practice to protect the players. So, crucifying someone for what was the accepted norm, is idiotic
Lol. Wtf are you talking about. Yes, that girl went to the campus police and they recommended charges brought. The prosecutor's office chose not to continue with charges.

IMO those two should have suffered some sort of punishment that would be noticeable to the outside whether it be a six game, half year or full year suspension. None of that happened because heaven forbid Tom Izzo have his plans interrupted in trying to win a second national title (they were a preseason top 5 squad that season).

Payne was rewarded three years later when the university pushed him to be some sort of national hero.

Meanwhile Appling learned his lesson as he later went to prison for other activities.

Btw when is Izzo going to set the record straight? He said this would happen after the season. The season ended on March 18. Here we are five months later and still haven't heard a word.
Lol.
Chose not to continue with the charges. Key sentence.

The campus police part is irrelevant. I’m not really seeing your logic here man. When there are no charges filed or brought against players thencno action should be taken.

If some girl from Michigan claimed Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole raped her, the campus police recommended that she file charges but she doesn’t, what should Michigan do? Get 2 guys in trouble because of a claim made, and that’s it? If that’s really your argument here then I’m not sure I can reason with you.

How can someone say that the girl never filed a police report with a straight face knowing that Payne was interviewed by police?

Lol.

The campus police part is irrelevant. I’m not really seeing your logic here man. When there are no charges filed or brought against players thencno action should be taken.

If some girl from Michigan claimed Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole raped her, the campus police recommended that she file charges but she doesn’t, what should Michigan do? Get 2 guys in trouble because of a claim made, and that’s it? If that’s really your argument here then I’m not sure I can reason with you.

You literally said that no police report was filed. That's a lie.

If there was a victim saying she was forced to have sex and video testimony of an eye witness giving that story credibility then I'd hope Beilein would at the very least sit the Michigan player in question for a game.

How can someone say that the girl never filed a police report with a straight face knowing that Payne was interviewed by police?
This was much, much later.

Again, I’m not trying to say Payne or Appling didn’t do it, or they are good people, im just saying with he information MSU knew at the time, I understand and agree with their decision. You can’t suspend players right off the bat when she didn’t file charges at the times against them, and it’s only a claim.

Reactions: jace46555
This was much, much later.

Again, I’m not trying to say Payne or Appling didn’t do it, or they are good people, im just saying with he information MSU knew at the time, I understand and agree with their decision. You can’t suspend players right off the bat when she didn’t file charges at the times against them, and it’s only a claim.

So you are aware that the girl filed a police report?

Then why say:

"That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them. They could not be kicked off the team unless charges were filed, and they weren’t, so they remained on the team."

I'd probably want them off the team, and definitely would if Jordan Poole was shown on tape admitting to the offense.

How the hell is the coaching staff supposed to know who Haas sticks his dick in? Lmfao You’re a freak.
Dude you’re f*cking dumb as shit. The coaching staff could have been aware the woman/women were planning on filing a lawsuit prior to it being public. Seriously. I’m sure HaaSTD knew it was coming. My guess is the staff didn’t do anything.

Snu’s Gonna Snu.

Seriously you just gotta laugh at him and not reply. At this point I think his posts are just a brilliant trolling scheme like Creany Tom, nobody is really that dumb.

Dude you’re f*cking dumb as shit. The coaching staff could have been aware the woman/women were planning on filing a lawsuit prior to it being public. Seriously. I’m sure HaaSTD knew it was coming. My guess is the staff didn’t do anything.

So you’re guessing? There is zero proof that the coaching staff had any idea that Haas had herpes and was spreading it all over campus. And even if they did, what could they do? “Hey man, keep it in your pants?” They can’t babysit him 24/7 and make sure he doesn’t spread a disease. Again, it’s immoral and disgusting but it’s not illegal.

So you’re guessing? There is zero proof that the coaching staff had any idea that Haas had herpes and was spreading it all over campus. And even if they did, what could they do? “Hey man, keep it in your pants?” They can’t babysit him 24/7 and make sure he doesn’t spread a disease. Again, it’s immoral and disgusting but it’s not illegal.
I just find it beyond hilarious how sanctimonious some of you Purdue poster are in regards to some of the stuff that’s come to light at MSU. You guys don’t have any room to talk. You’ve had multiple players arrested for drugs or alcohol related issues. Now you’ve also had HaaSTD willingly going around infecting girls with an STD. So, any time y’all comment on the MSU stuff in a critical way, may want to do some self reflection on your own program prior to blasting others on what they should or shouldn’t have done.

And in my opinion, what HaaSTD did was as bad or worse than some of the things we’ve heard from MSU players.

Snu’s Gonna Snu.

Seriously you just gotta laugh at him and not reply. At this point I think his posts are just a brilliant trolling scheme like Creany Tom, nobody is really that dumb.
Nah. Just calling out the hypocrisy. Don’t be mad at me because you know it’s true. You have no moral high ground. Painter has had a ton of kids arrested for drugs and now has sexual assault issues to deal with. Yeah, great program.

ITT: A troll continues to compare civil litigation to actual rape allegations.

The internet is fun.
Yeah, because what Haas did wasn’t that bad. Might want to rethink your response Mike. You’re a bad human for downplaying what he did. Both are extremely bad. Wish I could say I expect more from Purdue fans but it’s clear I cant.

Yeah, because what Haas did wasn’t that bad. Might want to rethink your response Mike. You’re a bad human for downplaying what he did. Both are extremely bad. Wish I could say I expect more from Purdue fans but it’s clear I cant.
Your reading comprehension leaves so much to be desired.

"You're a bad human for downplaying what he did." Hahahaha. I literally posted this less than six hours ago in this exact same thread.
What he did - if he's guilty - wasn't a crime. It's morally repugnant and shameful and he may be liable in a civil court eventually.

Last edited:
Lol.

You literally said that no police report was filed. That's a lie.

If there was a victim saying she was forced to have sex and video testimony of an eye witness giving that story credibility then I'd hope Beilein would at the very least sit the Michigan player in question for a game.

I'm not understanding you, are you saying that if a police report is created then they should be punished? Or, are you just clearing up the facts about no police report being created?
Because if it's the first one....imo that's bullshit! Technically, the police have to create a report anytime a citizen walks in and says something illegal happens to them. A police report means absolute nothing more then an initiation, or starting point of an investigation. If the police do even a basic investigation and dont recommend charges to the prosecution...then theres zero reason for a coach to punish the players.

The police looked into it but either didn't find the claims credible, or not enough evidence to ruin a potentially innocent human being. Unfortunately, people who commit these types of crimes go free every single day for either of these reasons. But, I'd rather the potential to be there for a guilty person to walk, if it means that an innocent man/woman doesn't have their lives ruined, or freedom taken away.

I'm not understanding you, are you saying that if a police report is created then they should be punished? Or, are you just clearing up the facts about no police report being created?
Because if it's the first one....imo that's bullshit! Technically, the police have to create a report anytime a citizen walks in and says something illegal happens to them. A police report means absolute nothing more then an initiation, or starting point of an investigation. If the police do even a basic investigation and dont recommend charges to the prosecution...then theres zero reason for a coach to punish the players.

The police looked into it but either didn't find the claims credible, or not enough evidence to ruin a potentially innocent human being. Unfortunately, people who commit these types of crimes go free every single day for either of these reasons. But, I'd rather the potential to be there for a guilty person to walk, if it means that an innocent man/woman doesn't have their lives ruined, or freedom taken away.

I'm correcting the guy for saying there is no police report when they clearly is and was one.

What he did - if he's guilty - wasn't a crime. It's morally repugnant and shameful and he may be liable in a civil court eventually. But even if Purdue coaches somehow knew about this prior to the season, what would be the grounds for a suspension or public discipline?

Unfortunately, I think that you're correct in the interpretation of the law, but its bullshit if it's the truth imo! If someone knows they have an STD, but doesn't tell everyone before they have sexual relations....it should be a harsh criminal punishment. If that STD is one that can take your life, like HIV or Hepatitis...then I believe the death penalty should be on the table.

I'm correcting the guy for saying there is no police report when they clearly is and was one.

That's what I thought you were saying, but wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

That's what I thought you were saying, but wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

Yup. I don't get the point of saying there was no police report. It's verifiable.

I also don't think a person should face legal consequences based off of a report. Even simply a formal suspensions based on an allegation is unfair. That being said, if a girl files a report saying she had sex against her will and the only witness (Payne) says the girl said "Stop", then I don't have an issue with sitting the player out for something such as Conduct Unbecoming of an Athlete.

Unfortunately, I think that you're correct in the interpretation of the law, but its bullshit if it's the truth imo! If someone knows they have an STD, but doesn't tell everyone before they have sexual relations....it should be a harsh criminal punishment. If that STD is one that can take your life, like HIV or Hepatitis...then I believe the death penalty should be on the table.
In Indiana, it's only a crime if the offender has HIV, AIDS or Hep B. And it's only a felony if they can prove the offender does so knowingly and intentionally.

(Just to be clear for some ITT who struggle with critical thinking, I'm not making a value judgment on this or any case where this statute may be involved. Just outlining the law as it's currently written.)

This is a bullshit answer because you're a fan of another team! If this was your team you would have a different opinion! And before you say it, I know your going to say that if it was your team that you would want them punished harshly. I'm just calling bullshit on this though....

This is the simple facts wheather you want to see them or not....they weren't charged/prosecuted because either the witness/victim wasn't credible, it couldn't be proved, or it was a dirty prosecutor. None of those things should fall on Izzo to be the moral police! Unless he had activaly tried behind the scenes to get them cleared....he did nothing at all wrong!

As a matter of fact, if he had punished them publicly then he would have been doing a deserves to his players and should be punished for it. Because even up to today, they still haven't been prosecuted and convicted for any crime while they were players there. I'm not a fan, so admittedly I don't keep up with msu, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

But, unless he had worked behind the scenes to clear them, or that had actual prosecution charges against them during their time there...its idiotic to punish them. An argument could be made that he should have suspended them until the investigation was over. But, once the prosecutor said they weren't going to pursue charges, they should have been immediately cleared and publicly apologized to for the situation.

I swear, this country always does nothing forever, and then drastically overreacts when it does try to fix it. It's simple....people shouldn't be able to ruin a person's life because their able to make accusations with no proof, or not enough to prosecute just because they might be mad. Dont get me wrong, I know absolutely nothing about these charges, so I'm not saying this young women has done anything wrong. But, if theres no proof....someone shouldn't have a chance to lose everything on a potential lie.

Conduct Unbecoming of an Athlete

Yup. I don't get the point of saying there was no police report. It's verifiable.

I also don't think a person should face legal consequences based off of a report. Even simply a formal suspensions based on an allegation is unfair. That being said, if a girl files a report saying she had sex against her will and the only witness (Payne) says the girl said "Stop", then I don't have an issue with sitting the player out for something such as Conduct Unbecoming of an Athlete.

Yeah, I understand what your trying to do, and I do get it. If I'm correct, you're taking more of the stance that you'd rather punish an innocent person then to take a chance of a guilty one to walk away? That may not be the best analogy, but I think I understand where your coming from...and its definitely a valid argument.

However, I just don't agree. How do we know he did anything that was unbecoming of an athlete/student? Unless were going to say that premarital sex is wrong...I honestly dont understand what he did wrong? I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, or argumentative here, but I'm not getting it. If she says something negative happened, but theres zero proof (like scratch marks or bruises) I don't see why/how you can punish someone.

I'm not trying to be an archaic man here, and I have a beautiful wife whose way out of my league and a 19 year old daughter, so I'm trying to be objective and think about them. But, if theres zero evidence then I dont see how its ever okay to punish someone. This isn't because their basketball players, because it goes way beyond any 1 person, or profession! But, how many times have you seen in the past year where a guys career is absolutely shattered in the matter of one allegation from a 130 character tweet?

I'm not talking about the Bill Cosby type of situation. Even without proof, if enough random woman come forward with similar situations....that's good enough for me. But, if you look at someone like Chris Hardwicke(sp?) and his situation, it gets a lot murkier. One past ex said he did all this horrible stuff to her, but multiple other past exs of his came forward and all said theres no way the person they dated could do this. He's screamed about his innocence from day 1 and she couldn't provide any evidence to support her claims.

So, does he deserve to have his career ruined? Because suspending him at all is basically making him radioactive forever. Now, if you are/wanting to say that hes suspended during the investigation....I could get behind this.

In Indiana, it's only a crime if the offender has HIV, AIDS or Hep B. And it's only a felony if they can prove the offender does so knowingly and intentionally.

(Just to be clear for some ITT who struggle with critical thinking, I'm not making a value judgment on this or any case where this statute may be involved. Just outlining the law as it's currently written.)

Theres been a few times on this forum where you all have criticized my critical thinking abilities lol, but even I thought it was obvious you weren't arguing for it. But instead just trying to clarify the topic.

Btw....imo its completely bullshit that it's not illegal for someone with a known STD not to have to disclose this to a prospective partner. I just don't get it....how can anyone honestly say to themselves that it's not something that legally should be required to be disclosed?

ADVERTISEMENT