ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Why at the time? The interview had already happened and the police transcript was already released.

Coaches bench players for conduct unbecoming of an athlete all the god damn time. Coach belicheck once sat a RB a whole game for being late for practice. I know because my wife started him in fantasy that week. Miss me with the “files have to be charged to teach a lesson” b/s.

You still didn’t answer me about why you lied about no police report being filed.
No charges filed by the sleazy long term Lansing prosecutor who was later put in prison on multiple prostitution related crimes? Shocking. You can’t make this shit up - it’s indefensible.

I think what I’m saying is being misinterpreted.

I’m not defending Payne or Appling in this case. I’m in the same boat as everybody else there.

What I’m saying is, Tom Izzo should not be put on trial in this. With no criminal charges brought against them, I understand why he wouldn’t kick the players off the team.

I’m not defending Payne or Appling in this case. I’m in the same boat as everybody else there.

What I’m saying is, Tom Izzo should not be put on trial in this. With no criminal charges brought against them, I understand why he wouldn’t kick the players off the team.

Do you think teaching them (or specifically Appling) a lesson with sitting a half or something would have been ok?

@MGC_07, surely you realize there is a big gap being doing nothing and completely kicking them off the team?
Uhhh, you don’t sit someone for a half if it’s sexual assault.

There is really no halfway with stuff like that. If it is, for sure, 100%, and she filed charges and prosecuted them, than kick them off the team. There’s no teaching a lesson.

Which is why I’m saying I understand his call. It was either kick them off the team or keep them on, and with no criminal charges brought against them, I agree with his decision to keep them on.

It appears we now live in a world where you can get suspended for games or kicked off of a team by simply being accused of sexual assault, and people are mad if you don’t.

There is really no halfway with stuff like that. If it is, for sure, 100%, and she filed charges and prosecuted them, than kick them off the team. There’s no teaching a lesson.

Which is why I’m saying I understand his call. It was either kick them off the team or keep them on, and with no criminal charges brought against them, I agree with his decision to keep them on.

It appears we now live in a world where you can get suspended for games or kicked off of a team by simply being accused of sexual assault, and people are mad if you don’t.

You can sit someone for conduct unbecoming of an athlete and you can do that without knowing 100% for sure if it was sexual assault.

Again, it's not "simply being accused of it". You are leaving out Payne's interview where he said that girl said "stop".

"Simply sexual assault"? You say that as if it's no biggie. Like it was shoplifting or something. If i have a kid accused of sexual assault, he's sitting until things are cleared. Especially so when in an interview, one of his teammates said the alleged victim as him to stop.

Suspending and being dismissed are totally different. Do you agree??

No charges filed by the sleazy long term Lansing prosecutor who was later put in prison on multiple prostitution related crimes? Shocking. You can’t make this shit up - it’s indefensible.

The investigation was done by a female sex crimes attorney.

She along with ocr and TitleIX all came to the same conclusion. The specific language was ‘no crime was committed’

Exactly what should the consequences be for someone when the DAs office and TitleIX office both say that?

And wtf this happened 8 years ago and played out publicly why are people rehashing literally what was said then?

‘No crime was committed’

What exactly should be the punishment for a player when a DA publicly says this about you and TitleIX office agrees?

If players were putting themselves in the position Appling put himself in and a witness said he had sex with a girl after she said "stop", I'd hope that the coach would find some sort of way to teach him a lesson. If the coach was looking to develop respectable young men and not just basketball players, that is.

Reactions: BANGBRO and KisteK
If my dog shits on the carpet, I don't need to call the D.A. to find out if they would prosecute her to do what I can to better her behavior going forward.

She along with ocr and TitleIX all came to the same conclusion. The specific language was ‘no crime was committed’

Exactly what should the consequences be for someone when the DAs office and TitleIX office both say that?

And wtf this happened 8 years ago and played out publicly why are people rehashing literally what was said then?

To see if MSU fans grew a moral conscious yet or if you are going to double down on Appling doing nothing wrong.

Over/under on conference games Iowa wins before February?

Over.
=========================================
Also, love the gymnastics happening itt.
My opinion has nothing to do with charges or no charges.
If I, as a head coach, saw that video of Payne, I would have sat both those boys.
A game, two... maybe a week. Be discrete if necessary.

Vick "probably" kicked a woman and sat two games, Self labeled it an "illness" yet wouldn't comment further on it at that time.
Vick denied it, no criminal charges, but Bill sat him before an investigation had even began, much less been completed.

Payne admitted, on tape, that the woman was prob not in a position to give consent, yet homie still went at it.. Izzo saw the tape (?), yet neither missed a game(?).

"No crime was committed"
Does every crime catch a charge?

Education, it's painfully clear more ppl need it.

And she worked for Dunnings who later ended up in prison. In the video tape Payne says - “we raped her”. Not enough to prosecute no doubt. Well at least not at Rape U.

Over.
=========================================
Also, love the gymnastics happening itt.
My opinion has nothing to do with charges or no charges.
If I, as a head coach, saw that video of Payne, I would have sat both those boys.
A game, two... maybe a week. Be discrete if necessary.

Vick "probably" kicked a woman and sat two games, Self labeled it an "illness" yet wouldn't comment further on it at that time.
Vick denied it, no criminal charges, but Bill sat him before an investigation had even began, much less been completed.

Payne admitted, on tape, that the woman was prob not in a position to give consent, yet homie still went at it.. Izzo saw the tape (?), yet neither missed a game(?).

"No crime was committed"
Does every crime catch a charge?

Education, it's painfully clear more ppl need it.

You’re just saying that because you’re a Michigan fan

Reactions: KisteK
You guys got a link to this video because thats pretty damning

He doesn’t say that. He does say the girl said she was done and asked to stop but that Appling talked her into going further.

When you admit a girl was too drunk to give consent says no and that she wants to stop and sex still happens, that’s not a good look.

Whether or not they were indicted as rapists isn’t the only thing that goes into upholding the name of a student athlete.

Last edited:
He doesn’t say that. He does say the girl said she was done and asked to stop but that Appling talked her into going further.

When you admit a girl was too drunk to give consent says no and that she wants to stop and sex still happens, that’s not a good look.

Whether or not they were indicted as rapists isn’t the only thing that goes into upholding the name of a student athlete.

Not sure he actually said “we raped her” but he did say...

Payne stated to police that he could “understand how she would feel that she was not free to leave.”

nsr.gif

So everybody wants Izzo fired because Payne and Appling might have raped a girl?

nsr.gif

So everybody wants Izzo fired because Payne and Appling might have raped a girl?

Just would’ve been nice to see Izzo acknlowdge that Appling at best put himself in a terrible position and at worst raped a girl. Sometimes it’s nice to see developing respectable young men come before a basketball game.

‘No crime was committed’

What exactly should be the punishment for a player when a DA publicly says this about you and TitleIX office agrees?
What about the part where Payne said the girl said, "STOP"?

What do Michigan fans think about Cole Bajema. Saw he took a huge rise in the latest 24/7 rankings

What do Michigan fans think about Cole Bajema. Saw he took a huge rise in the latest 24/7 rankings

Super skilled. Very very skinny but we’ve got an elite strength and conditioning coach so I’m pretty confident he can put good weight on.

Football question but IU guys, thoughts on Ramsey being named the starter?

Not surprising. I'd be all for Penix getting the starting job and going all in on him but I get Ramsey. Dawkins will get plenty of run and Penix will probably play just enough to get a red-shirt assuming Ramsey and Dawkins stay healthy.

Not surprising. I'd be all for Penix getting the starting job and going all in on him but I get Ramsey. Dawkins will get plenty of run and Penix will probably play just enough to get a red-shirt assuming Ramsey and Dawkins stay healthy.

It’s nice with the new rule that Penix can play in 4 games and still redshirt.

Kinda what I figured but in the beginning I had expected more out of Dawkins. Ramsey seems to just understand the playbook better, control the offense, which is what Allen was looking for.

Reactions: klize17
Kinda what I figured but in the beginning I had expected more out of Dawkins. Ramsey seems to just understand the playbook better, control the offense, which is what Allen was looking for.

Penix by all accounts also had some ball control issues during practice. I think we will see Dawkins plenty.

Do you think Allen wants more of a game manager?

ADVERTISEMENT