ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Michigan State University's alumni magazine opted for a positive message after the original issue addressing the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal was scrapped by Interim President John Engler.

The issue is the first since the former sports doctor was sentenced to decades in prison for abusing girls and women, including Michigan State athletes.

The Spartan Magazine's original front page was slated to be a black-and-white photo of a woman with teal lipstick. The color represents support for sexual assault survivors, and the issue's contents would have been essays uncovering how the university handled Nassar's case and what it now means to be a Spartan.

The replacement front page includes only text in all capital letters that reads, "The university, which faced the most difficult challenge in its history, has emerged and is going to be stronger, safer and more competitive than ever."

Nine short letters from alumni and university deans line the pages of the magazine, some critical of how Michigan State handled Nassar's sexual assault allegations. But the centerpiece of the new issue is a four-page Q&A with Engler, the Detroit Free Pressreported.

The rest of the 60-page magazine was filled with positive stories about events and programs taking place on campus.

Several alumni criticized the updated issue, saying they want the magazine to reflect ongoing conversations, even if it's not all positive.

"There's no ducking what happened," said alumnus Carissa Michaels, 46. "They should have the story with (Engler). It's important to hear from him, but it also would be good to have other views in there."

The magazine missed an opportunity to help alumni in their conversations about the Nassar scandal, said alumnus Mike Johnson.

"Nobody is being honest about the good and bad," Johnson said. "Do that — it will help."

Michigan State University's alumni magazine opted for a positive message after the original issue addressing the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal was scrapped by Interim President John Engler.

The issue is the first since the former sports doctor was sentenced to decades in prison for abusing girls and women, including Michigan State athletes.

The Spartan Magazine's original front page was slated to be a black-and-white photo of a woman with teal lipstick. The color represents support for sexual assault survivors, and the issue's contents would have been essays uncovering how the university handled Nassar's case and what it now means to be a Spartan.

The replacement front page includes only text in all capital letters that reads, "The university, which faced the most difficult challenge in its history, has emerged and is going to be stronger, safer and more competitive than ever."

Nine short letters from alumni and university deans line the pages of the magazine, some critical of how Michigan State handled Nassar's sexual assault allegations. But the centerpiece of the new issue is a four-page Q&A with Engler, the Detroit Free Pressreported.

The rest of the 60-page magazine was filled with positive stories about events and programs taking place on campus.

Several alumni criticized the updated issue, saying they want the magazine to reflect ongoing conversations, even if it's not all positive.

"There's no ducking what happened," said alumnus Carissa Michaels, 46. "They should have the story with (Engler). It's important to hear from him, but it also would be good to have other views in there."

The magazine missed an opportunity to help alumni in their conversations about the Nassar scandal, said alumnus Mike Johnson.

"Nobody is being honest about the good and bad," Johnson said. "Do that — it will help."
I literally do not care.

This is an alumni magazine, where they were apparently too positive. Lol

If God doesn't allow a guy in heaven because he's bedded a few big uns out of wedlock, well, I'm not sure that's a God I want to know.

Gave up on the one chick. Needless to say

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jaycg15
Neither does your school when it comes to sexual assault or rape, tbh.
Ok? Everything that happened was f*cked up with the Nassar scandal and everything, but I’m just being dead honest, I literally don’t care about some writers opinion on an alumni article. At all.

Just met Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole at the airport. My son got a picture. Nice guys.

I’ll tell you right now though, there is no way Jordan Poole is 6’4. I’d guess 6’2-6’3 ish

I’d guess a lot of NCAA players have their heights off by an inch or two.
100%. I’m 6’4 and was probably about 1.5 inches shorter than me.

People were saying Bridges was 6’8 outta high school, when in reality he’s closer to 6’6.

100%. I’m 6’4 and was probably about 1.5 inches shorter than me.

People were saying Bridges was 6’8 outta high school, when in reality he’s closer to 6’6.

Sounds like you were in boots and Poole was barefoot.

Engler is a turd. The leadership at Msu is awful and doing a terrible job of addressing and changing the culture at MSU. Terrible interim prez who appoints an existing msu employee to AD and the BOT remains unchanged and continues to give a bad look to the public and done nothing to make any real changes or admit to any wrongdoings. MSU alums should be embarrassed and I know several who are disgusted by the scandal and the lack of changes since it broke.

Engler is a turd. The leadership at Msu is awful and doing a terrible job of addressing and changing the culture at MSU. Terrible interim prez who appoints an existing msu employee to AD and the BOT remains unchanged and continues to give a bad look to the public and done nothing to make any real changes or admit to any wrongdoings. MSU alums should be embarrassed and I know several who are disgusted by the scandal and the lack of changes since it broke.

Wtf are you talking about? Wtf did the BoT have to do with this?

Wtf are you talking about? Wtf did the BoT have to do with this?
I think he is expanding the topic by going beyond the magazine issue. MSU is doing less than the Catholic Church regarding similar issues. And doing less than the Catholic Church is pretty amazing.

I think he is expanding the topic by going beyond the magazine issue. MSU is doing less than the Catholic Church regarding similar issues. And doing less than the Catholic Church is pretty amazing.

tenor.gif

The catholic church just moves pedophiles around, how is that doing more? Not to mention MSU had 1 not hundreds like the catholic church.

Reactions: MGC_07
tenor.gif

The catholic church just moves pedophiles around, how is that doing more? Not to mention MSU had 1 not hundreds like the catholic church.
Example- that “one” was left in a position of power to continue his crimes. You are in the unenviable position of defending scumbags. Would it make you feel less offended if I’d say MSU is equally as inactive as the cc?

Example- that “one” was left in a position of power to continue his crimes. You are in the unenviable position of defending scumbags. Would it make you feel less offended if I’d say MSU is equally as inactive as the cc?

I think their inactivity is a tad more damning then MSU.

Reactions: MGC_07
Look, I completely agree and am 100% on board with everybody about the Nassar scandal. It was a tragedy and MSU majorly f*cked up.

It just irritates me when people make baseless claims just because they want our athletic department to go to hell. I have seen 0 evidence and 0 action taken and 0 claims by students or staff at MSU stating that either Tom Izzo or Mark Dantonio helped to cover up sexual assault. So no, I don’t believe they did. Please, if somebody can, prove me wrong. But up to this point, I have seen literally nothing leading me to believe that those 2 men helped in covering up sexual assault.

Payne and Appling. That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them. They could not be kicked off the team unless charges were filed, and they weren’t, so they remained on the team.

I don’t believe anything I said is blasphemous, it’s just commen sense. Again, if ANYBODY can prove me wrong about anything I said, be my guest and my view may change. But up to this point, I simply don’t get it.

Payne and Appling. That girl never filed a police report, or took any sort of legal action, so by team policy, no action could be taken against them. They could not be kicked off the team unless charges were filed, and they weren’t, so they remained on the team.
Not going to quibble with the rest, but the argument that Izzo was unable to make a unilateral decision to dismiss players who are caught up in sexual assault allegations because of some arbitrary team policy just isn't true. You can say that he decided to stick to the policy, but he's more than capable of deciding that even in the absence of a police report and filing of charges - which is fairly common in such cases - that those players should be removed from the program.

None of us know all the facts. But Izzo - or any other coach for that matter - isn't bound to program policy like a prosecutor is bound to the law. Especially considering he and/or MSU administrators came up with the policy in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ameoba Offense
Not going to quibble with the rest, but the argument that Izzo was unable to make a unilateral decision to dismiss players who are caught up on sexual assault allegations because of some arbitrary team policy just isn't true. You can say that he decided to stick to the policy, but he's more than capable of deciding that even in the absence of a police report and filing of charges - which is fairly common in such cases - that those players should be removed from the program.

None of us know all the facts. But Izzo - or any other coach for that matter - isn't bound to program policy like a prosecutor is bound to the law. Especially considering he and/or MSU administrators came up with the policy in the first place.
Not sure you Purdue guys should be criticizing any team about sexual assault charges or anything in that realm after HaaSTD went around knowingly infecting girls with an STD. He was a scumbag and nothing was done by Painter or the staff. May just want to remain silent on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Not going to quibble with the rest, but the argument that Izzo was unable to make a unilateral decision to dismiss players who are caught up on sexual assault allegations because of some arbitrary team policy just isn't true. You can say that he decided to stick to the policy, but he's more than capable of deciding that even in the absence of a police report and filing of charges - which is fairly common in such cases - that those players should be removed from the program.

Well, I mean, the question is how much did anybody really know at the time.

If there were no charges or anything brought against them, just this claim, why would he? If nothing is brought against them besides a claim that at the time nobody really knew nothing about, it doesn’t make sense.

Obviously, using hindsight he should have. But with the info that he and everyone else knew at the time, plus team policy, I agree with his decision.

If we are really gonna kick players off of the team because of a claim of sexual assault, what has the world come to.

Not sure you Purdue guys should be criticizing any team about sexual assault charges or anything in that realm after HaaSTD went around knowingly infecting girls with an STD. He was a scumbag and nothing was done by Painter or the staff. May just want to remain silent on this one.
Stick to trolling on Purdue's free board.

Yeah, that's not great. At. All.

Pretty serious stuff, and if it's true, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm still interested in finding out where the basketball program and/or athletic department fit into the lawsuit. I would guess it's from the text message where Isaac's girlfriend reached out to the victim and said she heard "that [her] name was mentioned via one of the coaches."

Just seems odd that one of the Purdue coaches would intervene by reaching out to Haas' ex/girlfriend to give her a heads up. But if that's the case, then there needs to be severe repercussions.

The liability for the medical team at PUSH would seem pretty cut and dry - either they formally tested him - and gave him the correct results or gave him incorrect results - or they provided him medical services "off the books." Two of those three scenarios are bad-news-bears for PUSh and their staff.

Well, I mean, the question is how much did anybody really know at the time.

If there were no charges or anything brought against them, just this claim, why would he? If nothing is brought against them besides a claim that at the time nobody really knew nothing about, it doesn’t make sense.

Obviously, using hindsight he should have. But with the info that he and everyone else knew at the time, plus team policy, I agree with his decision.

If we are really gonna kick players off of the team because of a claim of sexual assault, what has the world come to.
I'm not arguing that he should have dismissed them from the team - I'm just saying he absolutely had the power to do so, regardless of an arbitrary team policy.

ADVERTISEMENT