ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

latest

The hooks are in deep

Reactions: SNU0821
Borden gonna Borden
Elaborate, would you. I mean seems to me you responded as well. Guess I could say, "Klize gonna Klize"? Hail is who he is. A peddling, sometimes genuine poster. But one who sometimes tries to "fit in" by "trolling". THing is----he's not. He believes what he says. He's not trying to "bait" people. He genuinely believes what he is spewing. He's Gilligan 2.0

Elaborate, would you. I mean seems to me you responded as well. Guess I could say, "Klize gonna Klize"? Hail is who he is. A peddling, sometimes genuine poster. But one who sometimes tries to "fit in" by "trolling". THing is----he's not. He believes what he says. He's not trying to "bait" people. He genuinely believes what he is spewing. He's Gilligan 2.0

I think your being trolled that you think Hail isn’t a troll. I respond with my feelings and stop. You continue to roll and respond to his troll replies.

You are good in my book Borden just giving you some shit for continuing to battle him

I think your being trolled that you think Hail isn’t a troll. I respond with my feelings and stop. You continue to roll and respond to his troll replies.

You are good in my book Borden just giving you some shit for continuing to battle him
He's not a troll. A troll IMO is someone who knows what he is spewing isn't true, BUT....knows it will get responses. Hail though believes what he is saying. And when confronted, he goes into---"hey look, I'm a troll, mode. He truly believes JB has Michiiigan rolling. He truly believes JB is a messiah. BUT...when he stops his yacking and realizes how stupid what he's saying is----Well, he plays it off. Actually quite genius. And scary. Kinda resembles psychopathy tendencies.:eek:

Reactions: jace46555
Purdue.

The talking heads believe they will only fall off to cusp top 25.

Lose way too much and gain very little (none of the freshmen will matter, Dartmouth kid is good tho).

On paper the player roster is worse than Minnesota.
It could happen. Don't think so but it could.

Reactions: KisteK
Man talk about cherry picking stats. Never mind the other 9 seasons. Or missing the tourney a mere 4 years ago. Or losing in the 1st round the following year. I mean hey, its your story. Tell it like you want.

Michigan has had more success than any team in the conference the past two years and is a good bet to finish high in the conference again. I consider that rolling.

Borden gonna Borden
Naaaah, To be a troll, you don't believe what you are saying. Hail believes everything he says. Then to avoid looking ignorant, or like Gilligan, he tries to come off as "trolling".

Fall for it if you like.

He believes all of this too much for it to be a troll! You could get him to believe the sun wasn't rising tomorrow easier than to admit JB faults.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
It could happen. Don't think so but it could.
Man, I dunno. I mean you guys lost a ton. Edwards, Mathias, Haas and Thompson. I mean I don't think you guys fall off the map. But, I do feel you guys are going to struggle more than some of you think.
This is what I'm not understanding either! But if you ask them for a reason for all the optimism, it just turns into an argument.

This is what I'm not understanding either! But if you ask them for a reason for all the optimism, it just turns into an argument.
I know Purdue fans are high on Carsen; as well they should be. But after that, I'm just not sold on anyone else really sticking out. They do have some nice frosh coming in, but no one really of any impact. Haarms won't have the luxury of the cast he had last year. SO how does he react? Cline is a shooter. I think Purdue will be decent. But i do think there is going to be a pretty big drop off.

You are trolling again:

I like the late addition of Evan Boudreaux. He's very reminiscent of Brian Cardinal who those older opposing fans among the board will remember was a real pain in the ass. I know it is a significant step up from Dartmouth but he did average 17.6, 9.5 and shot 37.4% from three in his two years there. I think he can be a skilled bruiser at the 4 and possibly play some small ball 5 when Haarms exits.

I'm intrigued by the prospects of Aaron Wheeler because Purdue hasn't really had a guy like him recently. He redshirted last year and has yet to play a minute of major college ball so I'm not going to anoint him like others have. But he is a high level athlete and was 5-5 from three in the National Prep Championship game for Brewster Academy so there is some skill there.

Purdue is really going to need Nojel Eastern to step up shooting the ball, especially from the free throw line because you can't put a PG on the floor late who can't hit from the line. I hope he will but have no idea. Ryan Cline is our lone scholarship senior and needs to show he can do more than just shoot. We'll see.

You say 5th isn't a big drop off. Purdue went 15-3 and 30-7 this past season. In the last 5 years, the 5th best team in the B1G went:
2018 - 13-5 / 22-11
2017 - 10-8 / 26-12
2016 - 12-6 / 22-11
2015 - 12-6 / 21-13
2014 - 10-8 / 25-10

That's a rounded average of 11-7 / 23-11. Maybe you don't see 4 losses worse in conference and 7 wins worse overall as a "big dropoff" but I sure do.

I know Purdue fans are high on Carsen; as well they should be. But after that, I'm just not sold on anyone else really sticking out. They do have some nice frosh coming in, but no one really of any impact. Haarms won't have the luxury of the cast he had last year. SO how does he react? Cline is a shooter. I think Purdue will be decent. But i do think there is going to be a pretty big drop off.

I agree with everything you said! I can definitely see how its possible for them to have a really good season, if everything goes absolutely perfect. I also can understand why they are optimistic for the next few years. However, I seriously don't understand the blind optimism I'm hearing from a lot of fans.

You are trolling again:

I like the late addition of Evan Boudreaux. He's very reminiscent of Brian Cardinal who those older opposing fans among the board will remember was a real pain in the ass. I know it is a significant step up from Dartmouth but he did average 17.6, 9.5 and shot 37.4% from three in his two years there. I think he can be a skilled bruiser at the 4 and possibly play some small ball 5 when Haarms exits.

I'm intrigued by the prospects of Aaron Wheeler because Purdue hasn't really had a guy like him recently. He redshirted last year and has yet to play a minute of major college ball so I'm not going to anoint him like others have. But he is a high level athlete and was 5-5 from three in the National Prep Championship game for Brewster Academy so there is some skill there.

Purdue is really going to need Nojel Eastern to step up shooting the ball, especially from the free throw line because you can't put a PG on the floor late who can't hit from the line. I hope he will but have no idea. Ryan Cline is our lone scholarship senior and needs to show he can do more than just shoot. We'll see.

You say 5th isn't a big drop off. Purdue went 15-3 and 30-7 this past season. In the last 5 years, the 5th best team in the B1G went:
2018 - 13-5 / 22-11
2017 - 10-8 / 26-12
2016 - 12-6 / 22-11
2015 - 12-6 / 21-13
2014 - 10-8 / 25-10

That's a rounded average of 11-7 / 23-11. Maybe you don't see 4 losses worse in conference and 7 wins worse overall as a "big dropoff" but I sure do.

How many posts did you see before this one where people were arguing about it? Yes, eventually a few people did actually explain their opinion, However the amount who just argued were definitely the majority!

Man, I dunno. I mean you guys lost a ton. Edwards, Mathias, Haas and Thompson. I mean I don't think you guys fall off the map. But, I do feel you guys are going to struggle more than some of you think.
We definitely lost a lot. I'm expecting a drop off too. But that's a drop off from a school record 30 wins. I'd put us between 25th and 35th nationally this year.

How many posts did you see before this one where people were arguing about it? Yes, eventually a few people did actually explain their opinion, However the amount who just argued were definitely the majority!

Well you quoted me when you said:
But if you ask them for a reason for all the optimism, it just turns into an argument.

Maybe this message board thing is a struggle for you.

Purdue may have the best player in The Big Ten, but I don’t think that they have another top 25 player in the Big Ten on that roster. Maybe Haarms? Bordeaux was good, but at Dartmouth. Lotta questions there. I’d be shocked if they finish the season in the top 25

We definitely lost a lot. I'm expecting a drop off too. But that's a drop off from a school record 30 wins. I'd put us between 25th and 35th nationally this year.
Meh....possible. I mean outside of Edwards, who do you have thats proven? You guys are going to be relying heavily on freshman,and a transfer. And we are talking about immediate impact type of freshman. Top 25 is a stretch IMO. Top 35? Meh....Possible. A ton of things will have to go right. I see more of a fringe NCAAT team, IMO. Top 50'ish or so.

Purdue may have the best player in The Big Ten, but I don’t think that they have another top 25 player in the Big Ten on that roster. Maybe Haarms? Bordeaux was good, but at Dartmouth. Lotta questions there. I’d be shocked if they finish the season in the top 25
That's the beauty of the offseason. You very well may be right. Or we might have 3-4 top 25 players when all is said and done. Eastern has potential. Haarms should be pretty good. Boudreaux may or may not translate well to the B1G. Aaron Wheeler may be a stunning revelation. Eric Hunter may explode onto the scene. Or they all could be pedestrian.

Reactions: KisteK and MGC_07
Meh....possible. I mean outside of Edwards, who do you have thats proven? You guys are going to be relying heavily on freshman,and a transfer. And we are talking about immediate impact type of freshman. Top 25 is a stretch IMO. Top 35? Meh....Possible. A ton of things will have to go right. I see more of a fringe NCAAT team, IMO. Top 50'ish or so.

The nice thing is you don't need them to be proven in July. You need them to be proven in season. I've seen multiple national analysts with Purdue in the Top 25 so it must not be that far out of the question.

Reactions: otte21

Well you quoted me when you said:
But if you ask them for a reason for all the optimism, it just turns into an argument.

Maybe this message board thing is a struggle for you.

No, actually I'm pretty good at pointing out the obvious here. However, if reading all of the posts that did argue instead of commenting, is too much for you to handle....I do understand.

It doesn't take a very bright person to realize that for every 1 actual comment there were 6 or 7 (if not more) comments where it was just a flame post.

The nice thing is you don't need them to be proven in July. You need them to be proven in season. I've seen multiple national analysts with Purdue in the Top 25 so it must not be that far out of the question.
How much of that preseason "hype" is based on what they did last year, coupled with the return of Carsen? You guys are going to rely heavily on a ton of freshman. I mean I just don't think some of you realize how big of a loss guys like Haas, Edwards, Thompson, etc, etc...will be.

Holy crap, you jabroni. Nobody on this board has talked up Purdue at all. We are expecting to make tourney. That's it. Please find something new to post about and stop making something out of nothing.

How much of that preseason "hype" is based on what they did last year, coupled with the return of Carsen? You guys are going to rely heavily on a ton of freshman. I mean I just don't think some of you realize how big of a loss guys like Haas, Edwards, Thompson, etc, etc...will be.
Well, I'm guessing our starters are:

Soph Eastern
Junior Edwards
Senior Cline
RS Jr Boudreaux
Soph Haarms

Reactions: KisteK
He's not a troll. A troll IMO is someone who knows what he is spewing isn't true, BUT....knows it will get responses. Hail though believes what he is saying. And when confronted, he goes into---"hey look, I'm a troll, mode. He truly believes JB has Michiiigan rolling. He truly believes JB is a messiah. BUT...when he stops his yacking and realizes how stupid what he's saying is----Well, he plays it off. Actually quite genius. And scary. Kinda resembles psychopathy tendencies.:eek:

giphy.gif

Well, I'm guessing our starters are:

Soph Eastern
Junior Edwards
Senior Cline
RS Jr Boudreaux
Soph Haarms
I din't say you'd be starting a ton of freshman...I said you would relying on them. And you will. Unless you think WIlliams, Hunter, Wheeler, Stefanovoch(sp?) and Dowuna won't get minutes. Plus, look at your line-up you just posted. Now wtihout cracking a smile, tell me thats a Top 25 starting 5...I mean outside of Edwards...who scores. Nojel as your PG? Again, who scores the ball?

I do think Purdue will be better than what some think. I do not think they will be a Top 25 team. Not close really. JMO.

Reactions: SNU0821 and klize17
Holy crap, you jabroni. Nobody on this board has talked up Purdue at all. We are expecting to make tourney. That's it. Please find something new to post about and stop making something out of nothing.

Lol...yup thanks for proving my point. You guys are making it to easy.

Substitute Hunter for Eastern, and that's five guys who can shoot above 35 percent from 3. Great shooting ability there.

Please explain what makes you think Haarms is going to shoot 35% from 3. Cline will shoot his worst percentage from three with more attempts.

If you are depending on Hunter coming in to make shots...yikes

ADVERTISEMENT