ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

I was completely unimpressed with Jon Teske and Zavier Simpson their freshman years. Completely different players now. By the time DeJulius would have to start (barring injury) I think he’ll be just fine.
U can say that again! They were really bad. Lol. Remember that play at IU when Teske got the ball wide open in lane and practically tripped over his own feet, hesitated and air balled a layup? Didn't play the rest of the season. Don't ever write off a Beilein player until their junior season. It was scary to think of Simpson replacing Walton for good reason and why we took Simmons and expected big things out of him.

Was just curious how you know what Carton’s reasoning was and even spit out specifics of how much playing time he’ll get at Osu.

If this kid is as good as advertised he would play significant minutes at either of the three schools and I’m confident he knows that.
But Ohio State handed him the keys to the offense from day one. (His own words). That wasn't happening at Michigan and prob not at Indiana (from day one). Yes, lots of factors go into it but the depth chart question is where OSU had a very obvious edge on the other two schools. And Columbus is a big city. Another clear difference from Bloomington and Ann Arbor. That might have played a role too. Bottom line is five star kids want the NBA and want the most playing time they can find as a frosh. Michigan has a senior Simpson, a soph DeJulius and a junior combo Brooks in front of him. This was exactly the reason why I was very skeptical and worried about OSU. In fact, I would have told him to pick OSU for this reason.

We’ll have to agree to disagree as to why he chose Osu over UM and IU. Ill take the kids word for it that relationships played the biggest part. Kid might be a bust as you just never know but you’ll never convince me that he thought for one second about Dejulius or Brooks when he made his decision. This kids playing time would likely have been the same at all three schools and I’m confident he knows that.

We don’t live in a world of expected anymore. Stauskas and Wilson both made unexpected NBA jumps so it’s on the back of our minds with guys with potential going forward.

Regarding Poole, most Michigan fans think he will be a big time scorer at some point. His true freshman season where he was the 7th / 8th / 9th man doesnt showcase him. I think he averages double digits this year after not much last year.
I really like Poole. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Poole was a frosh tho, right?
I effin love Poole, hope he has a tremendous upcoming season.

Was just curious how you know what Carton’s reasoning was and even spit out specifics of how much playing time he’ll get at Osu.

If this kid is as good as advertised he would play significant minutes at either of the three schools and I’m confident he knows that.
But Ohio State handed him the keys to the offense from day one. (His own words). That wasn't happening at Michigan and prob not at Indiana (from day one). Yes, lots of factors go into it but the depth chart question is where OSU had a very obvious edge on the other two schools. And Columbus is a big city. Another clear difference from Bloomington and Ann Arbor. That might have played a role too. Bottom line is five star kids want the NBA and want the most playing time they can find as a frosh. Michigan has a senior Simpson, a soph DeJulius and a junior combo Brooks in front of him. This was exactly the reason why I was very skeptical and worried about OSU. In fact, I would have told him to pick OSU for this reason.

We’ll have to agree to disagree as to why he chose Osu over UM and IU. Ill take the kids word for it that relationships played the biggest part. Kid might be a bust as you just never know but you’ll never convince me that he thought for one second about Dejulius or Brooks when he made his decision. This kids playing time would likely have been the same at all three schools and I’m confident he knows that.
I tend to agree with you, if for the only reason is even before he took his first official, it was being said that everything was equal with the schools. He very openly said that the only thing he wanted to get out of these officials was to see who he had the best chemistry with.

Even a day later, I'm still shocked that it was OSU. Not trying to take anything away from OSU, its just because for months everyone who knew something said that they were behind IU and Michigan.

Poole was a frosh tho, right?
I effin love Poole, hope he has a tremendous upcoming season.

True freshman and Michigan had senior Abdur-Rahkman and sophomore Charles Matthews ahead of him at the 2/3. He will likely slide into Abdur-Rahkman's 30mpg at the 2 this year.

I tend to agree with you, if for the only reason is even before he took his first official, it was being said that everything was equal with the schools. He very openly said that the only thing he wanted to get out of these officials was to see who he had the best chemistry with.

Even a day later, I'm still shocked that it was OSU. Not trying to take anything away from OSU, its just because for months everyone who knew something said that they were behind IU and Michigan.

I’m surprised because UM fans seemed so confident and IU fans seemed to agree with them to a certain degree. It was confusing to me because Carton visited Osu in April and May and conducted himself like Osu was a serious contender if not favorite.

Reactions: ScarletnGrayBuck

I’m surprised because UM fans seemed so confident and IU fans seemed to agree with them to a certain degree. It was confusing to me because Carton visited Osu in April and May and conducted himself like Osu was a serious contender if not favorite.

Oh yeah, I wasn't shocked that he didn't pick IU, it was not picking Michigan that shocked me. But in all honesty, I was just being a sheep and following whatever direction the crowd was going on this one. Besides the information that I was told by the "experts " I really didn't know anything else about him, or his recruitment. So when all the experts were saying that it was going to be Michigan, I took that info as facts.

Oh yeah, I wasn't shocked that he didn't pick IU, it was not picking Michigan that shocked me. But in all honesty, I was just being a sheep and following whatever direction the crowd was going on this one. Besides the information that I was told by the "experts " I really didn't know anything else about him, or his recruitment. So when all the experts were saying that it was going to be Michigan, I took that info as facts.

I was trolling

@boiler1987 it was time
giphy.gif

Haha thank you sir. Everything went great and I appreciate the shout out!

Reactions: klize17
It’s a Yaklich defense now, and it was ranked 3rd in the country last year.

3 is quite the outlier. The years before? 69, 92, 100, 89.....Beilein has avg a KP defense of 67th. Can you sit here and say with a straight face that Beilein is known for his teams defense?

3 is quite the outlier. The years before? 69, 92, 100, 89.....Beilein has avg a KP defense of 67th. Can you sit here and say with a straight face that Beilein is known for his teams defense?
I think it’s to earlier to call Beilein a defensive mastermind after 1 season yes, but I’ll be damned if that defense wasn’t impressive last year. They completely shut down MSU, I know that.

Well they were a top 5 defense through 41 games last year and return their best defenders (Simpson, Matthews, and Teske). I think they will be a top 25 defense again.

Any master baiter could...

Reactions: bMORE607
Being discussed on our board: Who will be the most disappointing B1G team?

I’ll go with Nebraska (IIRC one of the preseason rankings had them top 3 in the b10 and top 20ish overall). Reminds me of northwestern at this time last year

That's a good choice. Nebraska loves shitting the bed with the slightest expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT