ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

We will see, hopefully everyone stays healthy as that definitely hurt a lot of teams last year.

On an unrelated note, is Malik Hall a priority recruit for Kansas? A top 50 player from Kansas I would expect to be a KU lock, but everything I've read so far has Oregon leading. He's spoken pretty highly about Purdue, but I'm not holding my breath against Altman, and definitely think we'll be out if Self pushes hard for him. Curious what you've heard from the KU boards/insiders.

It seems like they are taking the approach of Hall is a plan b or c for them. They know that theres a good chance when they offer he commits right after. If this is the case, they are waiting to see what happens to their plan a options.

Right now its looking like they are leading for both Hurt and Robinson-Earl, and of course they are a bigger get. This is similar to how Indiana is approaching 2020 Leal. Hes not in the top echelon of recruits, so they haven't offered yet, but probably will in the end. He's going to probably commit on the spot, so what's the point to offer yet when you're still trying to make a bigger splash.

We love him here in Kansas, at Kansas, however, he's not too high of a priority atm.
Hurt and JRE are on the lust list, Jayhawks'll lose Vick and Grimes for sure, prob Dok and one or more Lawsons. Imo, if both Lawsons are quality, I think the heat gets turned up for Malik.
Hall already has a committable Kansas offer, so no committing on the spot.
I think he might wait to see where Hurt goes.
If Kansas misses on Hurt, I'd love them to add Hall and/or Williamson.

This has the set-up feels like Hurt and JRE will pop for Roy.
Kansas hasn't been very successful with Plan As.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
It seems like they are taking the approach of Hall is a plan b or c for them. They know that theres a good chance when they offer he commits right after. If this is the case, they are waiting to see what happens to their plan a options.
he already has an offer from kansas

Purdue fans sounds like Thompson is having a solid morning game. That kid can really score. Not sure how much of a distributor he is, so maybe more of a 2 unlike is brother. Carson Edwards 2.0?

Also read this from someone stalking a high schoolers Instagram (I am not the culprit): Isiah took TJD’s phone and told Purdue fans that they’ll make it a S16 next year and that they don’t need Trayce because he isn’t going there anyways.

Well, this is his first Peach Jam as the coach of OSU.

No its not. He was named head coach June 9th last year.

Regardless you don't leave in the middle of an official visit, you pushed for, if you still feel like you had a chance. He is supposed to be heading back to campus for dinner with the family tonight, but just a strange situation.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
Well, this is his first Peach Jam as the coach of OSU.

No its not. He was named head coach June 9th last year.

Regardless you don't leave in the middle of an official visit, you pushed for, if you still feel like you had a chance. He is supposed to be heading back to campus for dinner with the family tonight, but just a strange situation.
Ok, my shitty joke got even shittier. You got me.

Reactions: SNU0821
Ok, my shitty joke got even shittier. You got me.

Uh oh did it right over me head.

giphy.gif

Liddell. Supposedly, IU has contacted him. His game is more like Draymond's than almost anyone I've seen recently. With one caveat, he won't kick you in the nuts.

Ah okay. I wouldn't expect much traction there unless the wheels fall off of TJD and Brooks for Indiana.

Purdue fans sounds like Thompson is having a solid morning game. That kid can really score. Not sure how much of a distributor he is, so maybe more of a 2 unlike is brother. Carson Edwards 2.0?

Yep. He had 27 in a win over E1T1. From the little I've seen, I think both he and Hunter can be combos who could play together, particularly since Purdue runs a motion offense and doesn't need a true distributor type PG.

Yep. He had 27 in a win over E1T1. From the little I've seen, I think both he and Hunter can be combos who could play together, particularly since Purdue runs a motion offense and doesn't need a true distributor type PG.

Agreed. Just depends on the type of "big" you have playing with them. Seems Painter is wanting to get away from the Hammons/Haas mold. Adjusting with the times.

We will see, hopefully everyone stays healthy as that definitely hurt a lot of teams last year.

On an unrelated note, is Malik Hall a priority recruit for Kansas? A top 50 player from Kansas I would expect to be a KU lock, but everything I've read so far has Oregon leading. He's spoken pretty highly about Purdue, but I'm not holding my breath against Altman, and definitely think we'll be out if Self pushes hard for him. Curious what you've heard from the KU boards/insiders.

Right now its looking like they are leading for both Hurt and Robinson-Earl, and of course they are a bigger get. This is similar to how Indiana is approaching 2020 Leal. Hes not in the top echelon of recruits, so they haven't offered yet, but probably will in the end. He's going to probably commit on the spot, so what's the point to offer yet when you're still trying to make a bigger splash.

We love him here in Kansas, at Kansas, however, he's not too high of a priority atm.
Hurt and JRE are on the lust list, Jayhawks'll lose Vick and Grimes for sure, prob Dok and one or more Lawsons. Imo, if both Lawsons are quality, I think the heat gets turned up for Malik.
Hall already has a committable Kansas offer, so no committing on the spot.
I think he might wait to see where Hurt goes.
If Kansas misses on Hurt, I'd love them to add Hall and/or Williamson.

This has the set-up feels like Hurt and JRE will pop for Roy.
Kansas hasn't been very successful with Plan As.

Thanks for clarifying if he has an offer or not. Not sure why I was thinking he hadn't been offered a ride yet.

Reactions: KisteK

Also read this from someone stalking a high schoolers Instagram (I am not the culprit): Isiah took TJD’s phone and told Purdue fans that they’ll make it a S16 next year and that they don’t need Trayce because he isn’t going there anyways.

I also saw this on peegs this morning, but the best part imo you didn't mention. A few posts down, didn't someone that Carton posted a comment about it?

Agreed. Just depends on the type of "big" you have playing with them. Seems Painter is wanting to get away from the Hammons/Haas mold. Adjusting with the times.
Not sure he's trying to get away from the Hammons mold necessarily. He was versatile enough to still run offense around and was a plus defender. Maybe getting away from his lax attitude would be good but not necessarily his skillset. Of course, there just aren't that many of him out there. The ones who are and are also motivated typically end up at Duke or Kentucky.

While Haas' efficiency was great, he also handcuffed Purdue a lot. I could see Painter shying away from another guy like that in the future.

Sounds like Purdue is in great shape with Brandon Newman and Armaan Franklin.

Sounds like Purdue is in great shape with Brandon Newman and Armaan Franklin.

I'd assume Purdue would only take one with Thompson already in the class right? I personally see Franklin going to Xavier and Newman to either IU or Purdue. Franklin and Newman are very similar and very much hot/cold on their play during the evaluation periods.

If IU is able to get Carton I'd be surprised if they'd take either Franklin or Newman in the fall. Maybe in the spring if someone else decides to transfer. Also depends on if Brooks is waiting until the spring or not.

there aren't many players like Hammons and Haas. Wouldn't say he's getting away from it. offered hunter dickinson

I really like IT’s potential. Much different player than his brother. If he can put on some weight, I think he could end up being a stud.

I'd assume Purdue would only take one with Thompson already in the class right? I personally see Franklin going to Xavier and Newman to either IU or Purdue. Franklin and Newman are very similar and very much hot/cold on their play during the evaluation periods.

If IU is able to get Carton I'd be surprised if they'd take either Franklin or Newman in the fall. Maybe in the spring if someone else decides to transfer. Also depends on if Brooks is waiting until the spring or not.
I'd be fine with Purdue stacking a bunch of guard/wing types with at least one of the true freshman bigs likely to redshirt this year. But if I was forced to choose, I'd take Newman due to his shooting ability at this stage.

What's the latest on Watford? IU still in the thick of it for him?

Reactions: KisteK

I'd be fine with Purdue stacking a bunch of guard/wing types with at least one of the true freshman bigs likely to redshirt this year. But if I was forced to choose, I'd take Newman due to his shooting ability at this stage.

Technically they are, but its looking like Memphis with Alabama 2nd.

I’d normally say Newman too but Franklin is lighting it up and Newman is cold. Zero consistency with those two

Yeah what jace said...Penny and Miller connections with the family pretty strong. My guess he stays south but if IU gets an official anything can happen

Speaking of Memphis and TW.... someone brought up a phenomenal conspiracy theory. CPH is throwing everything at TW to get him to Memphis. Apparently CPH still has a lot of sway in Memphis and oddly enough TW older brother Christian Watford was able to get a summer spot playing for the Memphis Grizzlies this year.

I don't know if its just a coincidence, but it did make me think.

Speaking of Memphis and TW.... someone brought up a phenomenal conspiracy theory. CPH is throwing everything at TW to get him to Memphis. Apparently CPH still has a lot of sway in Memphis and oddly enough TW older brother Christian Watford was able to get a summer spot playing for the Memphis Grizzlies this year.

He plays 7 minutes a game for the summer league there isn’t a conspiracy there

He plays 7 minutes a game for the summer league there isn’t a conspiracy there
I'm not saying there is. Hell, I don't know if any of the stuff I mentioned is true. For all I know, the Grizzlies front office might hate CPH. It just made me think a little.

Carton is still supposed to be on his official to Ohio State and Holtmann is at Peach Jam. Never seen that before.

How many times have you heard of a player taking an official while the peach jam was going on? Carton’s team is playing games and he’s missing them to be on campus.

This whole thing is weird.The general consensus seems to be that Osu has little to no chance and yet he’s making an official visit during a time that would suggest he’s very interested when you consider what he’s giving up to be there. This is magnified because he visited Osu twice already in the last few months and could easily say he’s seen everything already.

On the flip side, I think it’s obvious that Carton is a high priority recruit for Osu/Holtmann and yet he chose to leave in the middle to watch EJ Liddell who I assume he can/will see numerous times this month.

Reactions: klize17
How many times have you heard of a player taking an official while the peach jam was going on? Carton’s team is playing games and he’s missing them to be on campus.

This whole thing is weird.The general consensus seems to be that Osu has little to no chance and yet he’s making an official visit during a time that would suggest he’s very interested when you consider what he’s giving up to be there. This is magnified because he visited Osu twice already in the last few months and could easily say he’s seen everything already.

On the flip side, I think it’s obvious that Carton is a high priority recruit for Osu/Holtmann and yet he chose to leave in the middle to watch EJ Liddell who I assume he can/will see numerous times this month.

Actually, Carton doesn’t play on the NIKE circuit, so he would not have been at Peach Jam. He was supposed to play in Milwaukee this weekend, but he’s hurt and can’t play.

I don’t know where he’s going—it could be any of his final 3. While I’d love it to be Michigan, I won’t feel great unless/until he announces for us. From a factual standpoint though, D.J. isn’t running out on his AAU team to visit OSU.

Reactions: KisteK and WheelerG
Carton is still supposed to be on his official to Ohio State and Holtmann is at Peach Jam. Never seen that before.

I've heard the reason he isn't playing this week is to rest his knee. He sprained if in the last event he had. So he wasn't going to play no matter what.

My guess how this all went down is this...

Carton called all 3 and said he was going to make an announcement by x day. Ohio st realized they needed to get him there for an official before or they had no chance. Since he wants to announce next week, this was only option.

Ohio state staff went into this thinking they were behind. Because of this t.f hey decided beforehand that if it didn't seem like they had made up major ground on day 1...might as well head out to watch the games and then fly back.

This scenario is the only logical explanation for if imo. But I definitely no matter what wouldn't feel comfortable with their chances. I just cant imagine he would have left for any reason if they still thought they had a chance..

I've heard the reason he isn't playing this week is to rest his knee. He sprained if in the last event he had. So he wasn't going to play no matter what.

My guess how this all went down is this...

Carton called all 3 and said he was going to make an announcement by x day. Ohio st realized they needed to get him there for an official before or they had no chance. Since he wants to announce next week, this was only option.

Ohio state staff went into this thinking they were behind. Because of this t.f hey decided beforehand that if it didn't seem like they had made up major ground on day 1...might as well head out to watch the games and then fly back.

This scenario is the only logical explanation for if imo. But I definitely no matter what wouldn't feel comfortable with their chances. I just cant imagine he would have left for any reason if they still thought they had a chance..

I have no inside information but another site said he was heading to Milwaukee to play with his travel team after his visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT