ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Didn't know Wisconsin was returning almost 50 points per game.

I didn’t know we even scored 50 ppg.

the-more-you-know.gif

Tough situation for the McCaffery family. Even if he's not found to be at fault, killing someone can haunt you for some time. Hope both families get the help they need to get through this.

Tough situation for the McCaffery family. Even if he's not found to be at fault, killing someone can haunt you for some time. Hope both families get the help they need to get through this.

Damn. That's tough. Hopefully the young man can get through this. Even though Fran is a douche, wouldn't want anyone to experience this sort of thing.

Dickinson keeping it real!

“Just walking around, the people are super, super welcoming. Super nice. Definitely get those Midwest vibes. I think Michigan, they weren’t as nice. Like, they were nice people but not as nice.

“I feel like Michigan’s like a fake Midwest. Kansas is actually a Midwest town. But you know, I loved my time in Michigan, but the people here at Kansas are especially nice.”

Dickinson keeping it real!

“Just walking around, the people are super, super welcoming. Super nice. Definitely get those Midwest vibes. I think Michigan, they weren’t as nice. Like, they were nice people but not as nice.

“I feel like Michigan’s like a fake Midwest. Kansas is actually a Midwest town. But you know, I loved my time in Michigan, but the people here at Kansas are especially nice.”
I can appreciate the growing rivalry between Hunter Dickinson and Michigan fans. Should be quality entertainment on social media come basketball season.

Loads of melt happenin in the mitten this summer, must be that global warming..
UM fans, y'all okay? 🤣🤣😭⚰️

Seems like rosters are pretty situated at this point, so time for some predictions.

Tier 1- Purdue, Michigan St

Tier 2- Illinois, Maryland, Indiana

Tier 3- Ohio St, Wisconsin, NW, Iowa

Tier 4- Rutgers, Michigan, Nebraska

Tier 5- Penn St, Minnesota

1st Team-
Young (Mary)
Walker (MSU)
Shannon (IL)
Omoruyi (RU)
Edey (PU)- B1G POTY

2nd Team-
Buie (NU)
Hoggard (MSU)
Perkins (Iowa)
Wahl (Wisc)
Reese (Mary)

Freshman- Mgbako (Ind)
Royal (OSU)
Booker (MSU)
Gibbs-Lawhorn (IL)
Harris-Smith (Mary)

• Haha
Reactions: Ingersol
Seems like rosters are pretty situated at this point, so time for some predictions.

1st Team-
Young (Mary)
Walker (MSU)
Shannon (IL)
Omoruyi (RU)
Edey (PU)- B1G POTY

2nd Team-
Buie (NU)
Hoggard (MSU)
Perkins (Iowa)
Wahl (Wisc)
Reese (Mary)

Freshman- Mgbako (Ind)
Royal (OSU)
Booker (MSU)
Gibbs-Lawhorn (IL)
Harris-Smith (Mary)
Seems reasonable.

Reactions: 1016CC0503

1st Team-
Young (Mary)
Walker (MSU)
Shannon (IL)
Omoruyi (RU)
Edey (PU)- B1G POTY

2nd Team-
Buie (NU)
Hoggard (MSU)
Perkins (Iowa)
Wahl (Wisc)
Reese (Mary)

Freshman- Mgbako (Ind)
Royal (OSU)
Booker (MSU)
Gibbs-Lawhorn (IL)
Harris-Smith (Mary)
I really like (or rather hate) MSU's backcourt but I'm very curious to see how the frontcourt develops and gels.

I really like (or rather hate) MSU's backcourt but I'm very curious to see how the frontcourt develops and gels.
I have similar thoughts.

If Booker can space the floor well as a freshman, it will certainly raise their ceiling. But replacing Hauser’s impact in that department won’t be easy.

What are your expectations for the Hoosiers next year?

Definitely one of the more difficult teams to place given the level of turnover from last season.
Tough one man. They have the talent, that's for sure. But it's unproven at our organization and some of it is young. We could be real good or we could struggle. Where you put them seemed like a good hedge. Lol. It's where I would have.

Tough one man. They have the talent, that's for sure. But it's unproven at our organization and some of it is young. We could be real good or we could struggle. Where you put them seemed like a good hedge. Lol. It's where I would have.
Definitely going to be young on the wing and in the frontcourt, but got a veteran backcourt (at least the starting group).

Huge fan of Kel’el Ware, and think he’s a good fit alongside Reneau. Gotta have at least one of the two who can space the floor from 3 and Ware fits that need.

Mgbako, to me, is the wildcard. If he’s really good defensively and is efficient offensively, I think you guys could push into Tier 1 with Purdue and Mich St

I have similar thoughts.

If Booker can space the floor well as a freshman, it will certainly raise their ceiling. But replacing Hauser’s impact in that department won’t be easy.
Hauser will be replaced by committee. Malik Hall started over Hauser in the past but was slowed by injury. I think he will be the starting forward, with Booker backing him up.

At center we have Sissoko and Cooper. I don't expect either to be great offensive threats, but they should be good to very good on defense. Eddy will give them trouble, but they can hadle most. They both move their feet well for centers.

Kohler and Carr should also get mins at forward.

Overall, MSU will be lead by their guards. Hoggard, Walker and Akins all have All-Big potential. Fears and Holloman are great players to bring off the bench.

I don't think the B1G is as wide open as it's been in the past. I would be surprised if MSU or Purdue don't win it, barring injuries.

Hauser will be replaced by committee. Malik Hall started over Hauser in the past but was slowed by injury. I think he will be the starting forward, with Booker backing him up.

At center we have Sissoko and Cooper. I don't expect either to be great offensive threats, but they should be good to very good on defense. Eddy will give them trouble, but they can hadle most. They both move their feet well for centers.

Kohler and Carr should also get mins at forward.

Overall, MSU will be lead by their guards. Hoggard, Walker and Akins all have All-Big potential. Fears and Holloman are great players to bring off the bench.
So your expectations for the starting 5 is Hoggard, Walker, Akins, Hall, Sissoko?

Surprised Izzo would go that small given how much size is on the roster, but I guess it worked last year.

Will be interesting to see how he juggles minutes. Most teams don’t go 11 to 12 deep into conference play.

Between Booker, Fears, Holloman, Carr, Cooper, Kohler, and Normand, someone is getting the short end of the stick.

I don't think the B1G is as wide open as it's been in the past. I would be surprised if MSU or Purdue don't win it, barring injuries.
Totally agree. A team or 2 could surprise and push them, but if you made me bet now, it’s Purdue or Mich St all day.

What are your expectations for the Hoosiers next year?

Definitely one of the more difficult teams to place given the level of turnover from last season.
Outside of X, Galloway and Reneau, a LOT OF IF's. On paper......Look really good.

X
Galloway
Mgbako
Reneau
Ware

Solid 5, but youthful. As in the bench.

IF pieces fit, shooting is there, and Mgbako and Ware are as advertised, I think IU could push MSU and Purdue.

At worse? I dunno.

I'm just happy that we got two competent PG transfers this year. Talon Cooper was solid for us last year but he was forced to play too many minutes due to not having another primary ball handler. He also wasn't the quickest of lead guards but he was definitely a solid overall player for us last season.

Elijah Hawkins should give us a quicker guy at the point of attack, to actually be able to get into the lane and create mismatches. To much passing around the perimeter last season.

Mike Mitchell Jr. gives us another guy who averaged 5+ assists last season and can play off the ball too since he is bigger and is a career 42.2% shooter from 3.

I expect both to start along with Garcia and Payne. The other wing seems to be up for grabs between Josh Ola Joseph, Isaiah Ihnen, Kadyn Betts and Cam Christie.

So your expectations for the starting 5 is Hoggard, Walker, Akins, Hall, Sissoko?

Surprised Izzo would go that small given how much size is on the roster, but I guess it worked last year.

Will be interesting to see how he juggles minutes. Most teams don’t go 11 to 12 deep into conference play.

Between Booker, Fears, Holloman, Carr, Cooper, Kohler, and Normand, someone is getting the short end of the stick.

Totally agree. A team or 2 could surprise and push them, but if you made me bet now, it’s Purdue or Mich St all day.
Hall's coming off surgery but I expect that to be the starters. There's always talk about Hall at the 3 but he is better at the four. Kohler slimmed down to play the four. Not sure he has the foot speed yet to start there. Booker is a freshman so he'll have to earn it. I don't expect Normand to get many mins this year.

I think Cooper could push to start at the 5 but I don't expect it.

Hall's coming off surgery but I expect that to be the starters. There's always talk about Hall at the 3 but he is better at the four. Kohler slimmed down to play the four. Not sure he has the foot speed yet to start there. Booker is a freshman so he'll have to earn it. I don't expect Normand to get many mins this year.

I think Cooper could push to start at the 5 but I don't expect it.
If Hall becomes a full time 4, that’s a damn full frontcourt. I’d imagine he’ll get some minutes at the 3, or else you guys will be doing 3 guards lineups all game.

Your backcourt is very good, so it’ll work out better than most teams, but there’ll be some matchups that it’s not ideal.

Kohler at the 4 sounds super optimistic, but maybe he’s lost some weight?

Cooper over Sissoko would be really surprising, but Mady didn’t look as good to end the season as he did to start it.

If Hall becomes a full time 4, that’s a damn full frontcourt. I’d imagine he’ll get some minutes at the 3, or else you guys will be doing 3 guards lineups all game.

Your backcourt is very good, so it’ll work out better than most teams, but there’ll be some matchups that it’s not ideal.

Kohler at the 4 sounds super optimistic, but maybe he’s lost some weight?

Cooper over Sissoko would be really surprising, but Mady didn’t look as good to end the season as he did to start it.
I'm sure Izzo will play with the rotation, depending on opponent. He may go big against a team like Purdue. I think Cooper and Sissoko can be on the floor together because they can move their feet. It would probably mess up the rotation, but is possible. Hall playing at least some three is a given. I think Hall's position is going to be decided by Booker, Carr, Kolher, and Holloman. We know what to expect from Hall, not so much the other guys. Kolher is working toward playing the four. He did lose weight. I think he can do it but still probably a year away.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT