ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edey scored 37 on 15-25 shooting, apart from FTs he dominated that game. Purdue's guards added absolutely nothing and were the reason for the loss, Edey did not struggle lol
Ok.....

He had like 16 in the first 13 minutes---and was dominant. He then went like 0-7, not scoring for over 10+ minutes. He then got like 10 or so late when the game was decided, and UCONN conceded buckets.

37 is 37. But it was a dmionant 37, that impacted the game. It kept the game close, though.

And he started like 7-9.....then went 8-16 rest of the game.

Great game...great player. But to say he didn't struggle is box score watching. He dominated the first 13-14 minutes...But as I said, had a stretch where he did not score---missed like 7-8 consecutive shots---ANd then the last 3-4 minutes, got a ton of garbage points.

We wont agree on this, and that is fine.

Ok.....

He had like 16 in the first 13 minutes---and was dominant. He then went like 0-7, not scoring for over 10+ minutes. He then got like 10 or so late when the game was decided, and UCONN conceded buckets.

37 is 37. But it was a dmionant 37, that impacted the game. It kept the game close, though.

And he started like 7-9.....then went 8-16 rest of the game.

Great game...great player. But to say he didn't struggle is box score watching. He dominated the first 13-14 minutes...But as I said, had a stretch where he did not score---missed like 7-8 consecutive shots---ANd then the last 3-4 minutes, got a ton of garbage points.

We wont agree on this, and that is fine.
I'll agree. I thought he was missing some of those hooks he had beeen making. Not to pin the loss on him, that's the guards and mainly Loyer snd Jones. Smith wasn't as good as he's been but he didnt completely shit the bed like the other two. I also feel like Painter botched scheming this one.

In the end it’s a guards game in March/april. Still. And UConn dominated in that area.

Reactions: IUBtown
I'll agree. I thought he was missing some of those hooks he had beeen making. Not to pin the loss on him, that's the guards and mainly Loyer snd Jones. Smith wasn't as good as he's been but he didnt completely shit the bed like the other two. I also feel like Painter botched scheming this one.
Easy to say they “shit the bed” or the scheme was “bad” when in reality it’s just that UConn’s D is that good. They have the one guy in the country that can at least provide a little pushback against Edey and one of the best rim protectors in Clingan. So they stayed 1 on 1 whole game and just had nba length and athleticism stay home on the guards all night, that’s just tough especially when they can switch just about everything. Not much you can scheme to free people up when it’s like that. Why they won the ship going away.

Purdue had like 4 threes they tried to take get blocked lol scheme was just fine, UConn the better team.

Last edited:
It wasn't Painter's scheme that managed the game. Hurley's did. Give Edey his, 25% of whch came after the game was decided and shut down their guards. The game was won by defense outside the paint and particularly at the 3PL

Dude that’s BRUTAL! I have a work thing I can’t miss that goes from Saturday to Tuesday lol. But I’ll be watching!

@otte21 @VulvHa @B-Westy @boilerzz @Boilermaker03 @pig1960 @CardinalBoiler any of you going to PHX? Wouldn’t be surprised if we have the highest turnout of the 4 teams.
Sorry - just saw this. No go for me but Boiler nation definitely showed out. Fun year for sure and while we lost to the better team I still have a smile on my face. 😁

Imagine watching someone go for 37 and 10 in a title game and suggesting he didn’t dominate. If Edey doesn’t dominate, Purdue loses by 30.

UConn was the clear superior team but the supposed best defensive center in the country had a 10 minute stretch where he defended Zach well and a 30 minute minute stretch where he was Zach Edey’s bitch. Well, a 27 minute stretch. His 6’10 future pro backup managed to foul out in 3 minutes giving him a rest.

Easy to say they “shit the bed” or the scheme was “bad” when in reality it’s just that UConn’s D is that good. They have the one guy in the country that can at least provide a little pushback against Edey and one of the best rim protectors in Clingan. So they stayed 1 on 1 whole game and just had nba length and athleticism stay home on the guards all night, that’s just tough especially when they can switch just about everything. Not much you can scheme to free people up when it’s like that. Why they won the ship going away.

Purdue had like 4 threes they tried to take get blocked lol scheme was just fine, UConn the better team.
It’s tough when you have these guys at guard.
white-ben-affleck.gif

Reactions: Sparty_57
Imagine watching someone go for 37 and 10 in a title game and suggesting he didn’t dominate. If Edey doesn’t dominate, Purdue loses by 30.

UConn was the clear superior team but the supposed best defensive center in the country had a 10 minute stretch where he defended Zach well and a 30 minute minute stretch where he was Zach Edey’s bitch. Well, a 27 minute stretch. His 6’10 future pro backup managed to foul out in 3 minutes giving him a rest.
I’m sure they are devastated by this domination.

Reactions: Deepelm
I’m sure they are devastated by this domination.
Of course they aren’t. Don’t be stupid. But of all the things on my proverbial title game bingo card, I didn’t think I’d see someone trying to downplay a 37-10 game.

Well, there is one Indiana idiot that I think might make an argument like that. But Borden is a bright guy and that one is pretty shocking coming from him.

Of course they aren’t. Don’t be stupid. But of all the things on my proverbial title game bingo card, I didn’t think I’d see someone trying to downplay a 37-10 game.

Well, there is one Indiana idiot that I think might make an argument like that. But Borden is a bright guy and that one is pretty shocking coming from him.
I was being sarcastic. Not stupid.

• Love
Reactions: boilerzz
Man the Big Ten is 0-8 in title games since MSU last won it all in 2000.

Just kinda crazy.

The Big Ten was ROLLING during the Izzo/Ryan/Matta/Crean/Beilein heyday. Kind of nuts the league never brought home a title.

Just kinda crazy.

The Big Ten was ROLLING during the Izzo/Ryan/Matta/Crean/Beilein heyday. Kind of nuts the league never brought home a title.

Now that we can all pay players, I feel better about the conference future in basketball

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Time for the off-season thread. Bye bye 2023-2024 season. It was almost glorious.

Just kinda crazy.

What's wild is all 8 teams had to play a 1 seed to win the title. At some point, you'd think a team would get an easier path but it hasn't happened for the B1G in a long time.

Sorry - just saw this. No go for me but Boiler nation definitely showed out. Fun year for sure and while we lost to the better team I still have a smile on my face. 😁
Was really cool to see us be the dominant crowd. I think I saw UConn fans saying it was a 70/30 pro-Purdue split which is awesome for us.

Was really cool to see us be the dominant crowd. I think I saw UConn fans saying it was a 70/30 pro-Purdue split which is awesome for us.

Sounds about right. You could hear it on the broadcast when you guys made a play. Even on that stupid large stadium. I really wish they would play it anywhere but in a football stadium, but I am a business man, so I get it.

Sounds about right. You could hear it on the broadcast when you guys made a play. Even on that stupid large stadium. I really wish they would play it anywhere but in a football stadium, but I am a business man, so I get it.
Agreed. I've been to a Final Four and just couldn't bring myself to watch such an important game in seats where you can barely see the action.

Reactions: Deepelm
You guys were beyond solid last night. Congrats again!

• Love
Reactions: VulvHa and Deepelm

You may be right. Just didn't see the painter offense I'm used to, credit to UConn but still seemed like it was throw it in to Edey, didn't see anything set up for him to kick or to get shots for the guards. Again credit to UConn but felt there could have been more.

Maybe I just expected more out of painter? I don't think that's a bad thing.

Agreed. I've been to a Final Four and just couldn't bring myself to watch such an important game in seats where you can barely see the action.
The newer stadiums, like the one last night have better sight lines than the old ones, but they still suck to watch BB.

You may be right. Just didn't see the painter offense I'm used to, credit to UConn but still seemed like it was throw it in to Edey, didn't see anything set up for him to kick or to get shots for the guards. Again credit to UConn but felt there could have been more.
UConn personnel allowed for matchups that didn’t require doubling Edey and shut down the perimeter. That is why you didn’t see their usual offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT