ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Have little doubt he could guard the 4...TJD is crazy athletic. long....very agile, good lateral quickness. Great timing. Also feel he'd be decent in PNR---and IF he could knock down a 10-footer............

He's sneaking up the draft board. I'd say there's a reason for that.
Feels like he needs to try to become Bam. Similar size and athleticism, similar ball handling and passing ability, but Bam can score in more ways.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
NBA scouts give their takes on B1G draft hopefuls. Note that this is what they think their strengths and weaknesses are if in the NBA, not what they were in college (very different).

Kobe Bufkin, 6-5 sophomore guard, Michigan. “Love him. He’s rising big-time. He’s good in the pick and roll, makes good decisions, but needs to become a better shooter. He needs to put on some weight, but you can say that about just about every kid in this draft. I like that he didn’t play a lot as a freshman, but he didn’t pout and transfer. He doubled up his effort and pushed his way into the rotation. He has a scoring mentality but he can also make plays for his teammates, which is intriguing.”

Trayce Jackson-Davis, 6-9 senior center, Indiana. “Not a fan. He’s an undersized five who’s not a rim protector and can’t be a switchable defender. He’s gonna have to get some kind of offensive package. Pretty good finisher, good size and strength, not the most athletic but good enough. Can he defend stretch bigs? I think he can facilitate your offense from the middle of the floor. He needs to become a consistent 15- to 17-foot jump shooter. At our level, if you can’t shoot the ball you have to be elite at one other skill.”

Jalen Hood-Schifino, 6-6 freshman point guard, Indiana. “Mature and physical. One of the best ball screen guards in the draft. Streaky 3-point shooter. I worry about his ability to get by people. He needs a ball screen to create an advantage. Not the best athlete, but he plays at a good pace and has a good feel for the game. I love his toughness and character. He’s going to have to improve on his decision making. He predetermines a lot of his decisions, especially coming off ball screens. When he gets around the rim he doesn’t have that pop to him.”

Jett Howard, 6-8 freshman guard, Michigan. “I think he’s sliding in the draft right now. His lack of rebounding is extremely concerning. He doesn’t go in to fight for rebounds. He’s kind of lazy off the ball defensively. He just doesn’t know how to use all his tools right now. Skilled, high IQ, good size for a two guard, but he has average athleticism. Is he a two or a three? I wonder if the kid works hard enough. I think he plays in the NBA for a while because of his size and shooting ability.”

Seth Lundy, 6-6 senior guard, Penn State. “I was really impressed with Lundy at the combine. He’s an average athlete but he’s got a lot of confidence, and he can really shoot the ball. He needs to learn how to play against athletic players. Can he make other guys better? He needs to give you a little more on defense than he has in the past. He has never really embraced it. When he gets out of his role of catching and shooting, things go a little awry for him.”

Kris Murray, 6-8 junior forward, Iowa. “He can fit in on a team with a bunch of stars. Pretty good shooting threat. His weakness is creating off the bounce. He’s very smooth. There’s a question there about lack of foot speed. He’s a better shooter than his numbers show. He had to take a lot of tough shots at Iowa. He has a really good feel for the game. He has the size and the IQ to be a good role-playing forward in the NBA. I don’t think he’s the toughest cat, but he fits the NBA the way we play now.”

Jalen Pickett, 6-4 senior guard, Penn State. “He’s the old man at the Y. If he finds a team that appreciates that, he’ll have a place coming off the bench. Strong off the dribble. Can he shoot it consistently enough from 3? I don’t think he’s a sure thing. Not a very good athlete. I’m not sure what his position is. I don’t think he’s gonna be able to guard point guards. He doesn’t shoot with range.”

Brice Sensabaugh, 6-6 freshman guard, Ohio State. “He’s a very good scorer, but I worry about his body. His lack of defensive ability is a question, or maybe it’s a lack of a desire to play D. I don’t know if the way he scores will translate. He doesn’t rebound, doesn’t defend, not a good passer. He can really shoot, but he’s not a guy that gets all the way to the rim.”

NBA scouts give their takes on B1G draft hopefuls. Note that this is what they think their strengths and weaknesses are if in the NBA, not what they were in college (very different).

Kobe Bufkin, 6-5 sophomore guard, Michigan. “Love him. He’s rising big-time. He’s good in the pick and roll, makes good decisions, but needs to become a better shooter. He needs to put on some weight, but you can say that about just about every kid in this draft. I like that he didn’t play a lot as a freshman, but he didn’t pout and transfer. He doubled up his effort and pushed his way into the rotation. He has a scoring mentality but he can also make plays for his teammates, which is intriguing.”

Trayce Jackson-Davis, 6-9 senior center, Indiana. “Not a fan. He’s an undersized five who’s not a rim protector and can’t be a switchable defender. He’s gonna have to get some kind of offensive package. Pretty good finisher, good size and strength, not the most athletic but good enough. Can he defend stretch bigs? I think he can facilitate your offense from the middle of the floor. He needs to become a consistent 15- to 17-foot jump shooter. At our level, if you can’t shoot the ball you have to be elite at one other skill.”

Jalen Hood-Schifino, 6-6 freshman point guard, Indiana. “Mature and physical. One of the best ball screen guards in the draft. Streaky 3-point shooter. I worry about his ability to get by people. He needs a ball screen to create an advantage. Not the best athlete, but he plays at a good pace and has a good feel for the game. I love his toughness and character. He’s going to have to improve on his decision making. He predetermines a lot of his decisions, especially coming off ball screens. When he gets around the rim he doesn’t have that pop to him.”

Jett Howard, 6-8 freshman guard, Michigan. “I think he’s sliding in the draft right now. His lack of rebounding is extremely concerning. He doesn’t go in to fight for rebounds. He’s kind of lazy off the ball defensively. He just doesn’t know how to use all his tools right now. Skilled, high IQ, good size for a two guard, but he has average athleticism. Is he a two or a three? I wonder if the kid works hard enough. I think he plays in the NBA for a while because of his size and shooting ability.”

Seth Lundy, 6-6 senior guard, Penn State. “I was really impressed with Lundy at the combine. He’s an average athlete but he’s got a lot of confidence, and he can really shoot the ball. He needs to learn how to play against athletic players. Can he make other guys better? He needs to give you a little more on defense than he has in the past. He has never really embraced it. When he gets out of his role of catching and shooting, things go a little awry for him.”

Kris Murray, 6-8 junior forward, Iowa. “He can fit in on a team with a bunch of stars. Pretty good shooting threat. His weakness is creating off the bounce. He’s very smooth. There’s a question there about lack of foot speed. He’s a better shooter than his numbers show. He had to take a lot of tough shots at Iowa. He has a really good feel for the game. He has the size and the IQ to be a good role-playing forward in the NBA. I don’t think he’s the toughest cat, but he fits the NBA the way we play now.”

Jalen Pickett, 6-4 senior guard, Penn State. “He’s the old man at the Y. If he finds a team that appreciates that, he’ll have a place coming off the bench. Strong off the dribble. Can he shoot it consistently enough from 3? I don’t think he’s a sure thing. Not a very good athlete. I’m not sure what his position is. I don’t think he’s gonna be able to guard point guards. He doesn’t shoot with range.”

Brice Sensabaugh, 6-6 freshman guard, Ohio State. “He’s a very good scorer, but I worry about his body. His lack of defensive ability is a question, or maybe it’s a lack of a desire to play D. I don’t know if the way he scores will translate. He doesn’t rebound, doesn’t defend, not a good passer. He can really shoot, but he’s not a guy that gets all the way to the rim.”

Huh? TJD not the most athletic? Not a good rim protector? Did he even watch the kid play? Of course he's an undesized 5----its becuase he's not a 5. And wont be in the NBA. I really feel this dude has never seen TJD play;.

Reactions: asindc and Middawg
Huh? TJD not the most athletic? Not a good rim protector? Did he even watch the kid play? Of course he's an undesized 5----its becuase he's not a 5. And wont be in the NBA. I really feel this dude has never seen TJD play;.
Exactly what I saw. I have seen several other "takes" about TJD and more than not seem to be very positive which is why we've heard he could sneak into the first round.

This is for TJD...

The Athletic (Sam Vecenie): Round 2, pick 2 to the Indiana Pacers

Draft Express/ESPN (Jonathan Givony): Round 2, pick 4 to the Charlotte Hornets

The Ringer (Kevin O'Connor): Round 1, pick 30 to the Los Angeles Clippers ... "TJD is a highly athletic lob threat who brings defensive versatility, which could be valuable to a Clippers roster that has largely relied on Ivica Zubac."

Bleacher Report (Jonathan Wasserman): Round 2, pick 8 to the Sacramento Kings ... "Jackson-Davis has been shooting jumpers during NBA auditions, something he didn't do at Indiana. Regardless, he'll earn consideration for his effectiveness as a post scorer, finisher, passer and rebounder."

CBS Sports (Kyle Boone): Round 1, pick 30 to the Indiana Pacers ... "Big men who don't shoot 3-pointers don't pop off the page as definite first-rounders, and yet Jackson-Davis by most measures appears to be an anomaly. He's a dominant interior scorer and rebounder who shows great touch and makes great plays as a passer, and there is optimism in NBA circles that he will in time develop into a floor-spacer."

Yahoo! Sports (Krysten Peek): Round 2, pick 2 to the Indiana Pacers ... "Jackson-Davis made a strong statement to close out the season and showed how valuable he is in a two-man game off-ball screens and in high-low situations. He might not be the biggest forward in this draft class, but he has crafty footwork around the rim and a much improved midrange game."

Sporting News (Kyle Irving): Round 1, pick 29 to the Indiana Pacers ... "With their third first-round pick, the Pacers should look to add a more experienced player who could enter their rotation immediately. Playing his college basketball right down the road at Indiana, Jackson-Davis would fill a void in the Pacers' frontcourt as a capable small-ball five who can score in the pick-and-roll and provide switchability on defense."

Yeah, the not athletic thing was odd to me. I get where this guy is coming from on the rim protector comment because he is talking about how he translates to the NBA, not what he did in college.

Yeah, the not athletic thing was odd to me. I get where this guy is coming from on the rim protector comment because he is talking about how he translates to the NBA, not what he did in college.
So he's the all-time leader in blocked shots at Indiana----but that doesn't matter? An athletic, 6'8" dude with a wingspan of 7'1", 36" vertical, = non rim protector?

Ok.

Its a bad take.

TJD will play the 5 in the NBA, nobody is going to play a non-shooter at the 4.

So he's the all-time leader in blocked shots at Indiana----but that doesn't matter? An athletic, 6'8" dude with a wingspan of 7'1", 36" vertical, = non rim protector?

Ok.

Its a bad take.
I’ll agree to disagree. What he did in college has limited relevance to what he can do in the NBA.

I’ll agree to disagree. What he did in college has limited relevance to what he can do in the NBA.
So why go to college? Why are there scouting reporting? Why are guys labeled as shooters/scorers when being evaluated? I see where players are compared to others...Why? Where are these scouts/experts getting these takes from? My guess?? What they did in college.

I mean how can you say anything about anyone? How do you label a kid a shooter? An elite passer? A great rebounder? A rim protector?

I mean many scouts said, "TJD is a very good rebounder, with very good scoring ability in the paint...has great footwork"---How the hell they come up with that?

My guess(again)---Its what he did in college?

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
Two Top 15 picks and HD----How da **** ya'll miss the NCAAT?

And wow with TJD. Did not think dude would still be on the board this late in the 2nd round.
Team had zero depth and choked away any number of games they should’ve won. Lost 12 games by 5 points or less last season. Jett is incredibly lazy in defense, Dickinson too. Juwan isn’t a good coach. 🤷‍♂️

Must have been something that turned a lot of teams off tbh. I’m surprised he fell that much too. Second to last pick in the second round wasn’t on my bingo card.
Possibly see him as a 4, no shot, and maybe dont feel he can defend at the 4?

DJ spin that shit
DJ, I think you have an extra chromosome if you think I’m trying to spin anything.

That move from the beginning was horseshit.

For Underwood’s sake let’s hope they can recover with an actual PG, as I’d rather not completely rely on the Ty Rodgers PG experiment in Shannon’s last season.

DJ, I think you have an extra chromosome if you think I’m trying to spin anything.

That move from the beginning was horseshit.

For Underwood’s sake let’s hope they can recover with an actual PG, as I’d rather not completely rely on the Ty Rodgers PG experiment in Shannon’s last season.
Day Off Dj GIF by Fool's Gold Records

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
He kind of won the draft. Late 2nd round pick to one of the top organizations and got a first round contract.
It certainly helps when your agent’s brother is the new gm of the team, but I honestly do think he’s a good fit for that team. Get under Looney’s wing and work your ass off to become close to the rebounder he is

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
ADVERTISEMENT